PDA

View Full Version : RPG Virtual Tabletops

Dvil
2010-12-17, 03:44 PM
Ok guys, I'm after some help here. Do any of you know of any 'virtual tabletop' programs I can use? Preferably something really simple, and which can work on both Linux and Windows. I've found RPGTonight, but I've a bit of trouble figuring it out, so I thought I'd ask if you know anything.

Thanks in advance :smallsmile:

Wabbajack
2010-12-17, 04:15 PM
MapTool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool) maybe?

Cicciograna
2010-12-17, 05:03 PM
Gametable, in my sig.

Gralamin
2010-12-17, 06:55 PM
Maptool and Gametable are both great, and while they unfortunately use Java (ewww), it does have the nice benefit of working on all platforms (except Maptool also has a Mac version... for some reason. Probably crazy Apple making their own Java). Do note that if you are going to use it for over the web games, you will need port forwarding enabled.

Also, though I do not have the link, there are some solutions that work in browser.

heruca
2010-12-18, 07:57 AM
Ok guys, I'm after some help here. Do any of you know of any 'virtual tabletop' programs I can use? Preferably something really simple, and which can work on both Linux and Windows.

A comprehensive list of virtual tabletop programs can be found here (http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html#anchor6).

The Valiant Turtle
2010-12-18, 09:03 AM
In general I believe Maptools and OpenRPG are the most popular by far.

Cheesy74
2010-12-18, 09:18 AM
(Probably crazy Apple making their own Java)

Actually it's because Mac OS displays images differently than windows, and that's the one thing Java's virtual machine can't account for. But nonetheless, Maptool is an extremely powerful program that supports everything from basic maps to interactive maps replete with sound effects, teleporters, and the utilities to handle vast armies of creatures at once, all depending on how much time you're willing to put in. I strongly recommend it, having used it for all four years of my current campaign.