PDA

View Full Version : Nevermind (formerly Community comic)

fizzybobnewt
2010-12-18, 02:48 PM
Read below posts to find out why this was "canceled".

This post used to say:
My idea is thus (or should I say "this"?): A comic (webcomic? comic book? comic strip?) made collaboratively by the playground. Each page, action sequence, or even panel could be done alternating different artists and styles! We agree on a story and each page's layout, then everyone picks a panel or a few to work on, creating an atmosphere of total chaos for the readers! It could even have some panels hand-drawn and scanned, and some made on the computer! And the best part for lazy people like me, you can take partial credit for the finished product without doing much work!
Sound like fun? Okay, let's hear some plot ideas.

shawnhcorey
2010-12-18, 04:39 PM
Okay, let's hear some plot ideas.

Before the plot, how about what type of comic, like in, which genre? Also, how about a premise?

A premise is a the simplest combination of character that has some sense of the main character(s), the start of the action, and some sense of the final outcome. For example: Frodo sets out to destroy the Ring of Power and save his homeland, the Shire.

fizzybobnewt
2010-12-18, 04:53 PM
Yeah... I was kind of using a broad meaning of plot, including that stuff. But you're right.

Mr_Saturn
2010-12-18, 05:29 PM
Currently, many artists in the playground are involved in a thread called "Avatar Battle Royale" and it is in essence a community comic. While this one is of the action/adventure genre, your idea may be different.

It's an ongoing project with numerous storylines and mostly involves the avatars of the artist's possession.

Current thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126142

I advise you check it out. :smallbiggrin:

fizzybobnewt
2010-12-19, 12:48 AM
Well, that seems to be a kind of pbp game in comics, whereas this, I was thinking, would have more planning, and different people not controlling specific characters.

Mr_Saturn
2010-12-19, 01:50 AM
Well I applaud your willingness to undertake such a grand endeavor. I hope you have a good plan and skill at organizing a bunch of people. At some point, you need to think about efficiency over giving everyone equal opportunity.

That's why almost no large government have true democracies. If everyone has to agree on something, nothing is ever going to get done.

p.s. Generally speaking, total chaos for the reader doesn't end up with positive results.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-19, 08:52 AM
Instead of trying to make everyone agree to a plot, why not make it a sort of "choose your own adventure" thing, where the person who draws a previous panel or strip gives the next person 2 or 3 options for where to go? That'd be more like a game than a comic I suppose.

fizzybobnewt
2010-12-19, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your suggestions... and stuff... guys. Maybe I will start a CYOA comic.

shawnhcorey
2010-12-19, 10:33 AM
Currently, many artists in the playground are involved in a thread called "Avatar Battle Royale" and it is in essence a community comic. While this one is of the action/adventure genre, your idea may be different.

It's an ongoing project with numerous storylines and mostly involves the avatars of the artist's possession.

Current thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126142

I advise you check it out. :smallbiggrin:

Very nice but the problem is all the material your would have to read before you can participate. Starting fresh will allow anyone to participate.

I like the idea of CYOA. It sounds like fun.

Threeshades
2010-12-19, 10:41 AM
Very nice but the problem is all the material your would have to read before you can participate. Starting fresh will allow anyone to participate.

I like the idea of CYOA. It sounds like fun.

You don't need to know anything to join any of the ABR plots. A lot of them are still quite young too any new ones sprout every now and then.

Domochevsky
2010-12-19, 10:45 AM
You don't need to know anything to join any of the ABR plots. A lot of them are still quite young too any new ones sprout every now and then.

Except that ABR is kinda like Marvel/DC comics... indecipherable and gigantic from the outside and you have no idea where to start. >_>

Threeshades
2010-12-19, 10:58 AM
Except that ABR is kinda like Marvel/DC comics... indecipherable and gigantic from the outside and you have no idea where to start. >_>

You start with your character :smallbiggrin: Others managed to join so its not impossible.

shawnhcorey
2010-12-19, 02:39 PM
I still like the idea of CYOA. But I see some problems.

1. Simultaneous Posts

What happens when two people the next script in the adventure? Do we just choose one to follow or split into alternate universes?

2. Splitting the Party

Splitting the party is simple enough but then there willing be multiple storylines. The question is how will they get back together.

3. Character Death

When can a character be killed? Does the person who introduces the character have exclusive determination of the major events in the character's life or can anyone do them?

fizzybobnewt
2010-12-19, 08:19 PM
1 artist, 1 character. Everyone votes on what (s)he does. I believe that's how most CYOAs around here work.