PDA

View Full Version : How would you make a realistic looking hand print in Inkscape?

DoomITP
2010-12-19, 06:15 PM
I have been using Inkscape for quite some time and I have been searching for a way to make realistic hand prints in the program. I would be very interested in how you would go about making one.

Thanks.

Rutskarn
2010-12-20, 12:22 AM
Dip your hand in tar and slap your screen.

Recaiden
2010-12-20, 03:21 AM
I have been using Inkscape for quite some time and I have been searching for a way to make realistic hand prints in the program. I would be very interested in how you would go about making one.

Thanks.

You close inkscape and open up a raster editing program. Then you draw a hand. Problem solved.

Kris on a Stick
2010-12-20, 06:30 AM
Go to Google
Do an Image search
Type 'handprint' in the search bar.
Find picture.
Get picture into Inkscape somehow.
Trace picture.
???
Profit!

Trazoi
2010-12-20, 06:38 AM
Trace picture.

And you can either trace the image manually, or use the Trace Bitmap tool under the Path menu to do it automatically.

Serpentine
2010-12-20, 08:37 AM
And you can either trace the image manually, or use the Trace Bitmap tool under the Path menu to do it automatically.Presuming Illustrator has this ability too, OH MY GOD IT CAN DO THAT?!

Kris on a Stick
2010-12-20, 08:39 AM
Darn you vector programs... why must you tempt me with these amazing features? >.<

shawnhcorey
2010-12-20, 09:38 AM

I would take a picture of my hand with my digital camera, import it into Inkscape and place it in a layer under my drawing. When I'm done, I can delete the whole layer.

BTW, if you search the web for a picture, any picture, make sure it's royalty free. That way they can't complain that you stole it.

Trazoi
2010-12-20, 05:22 PM
Presuming Illustrator has this ability too, OH MY GOD IT CAN DO THAT?!
Inkscape's version is a little fiddly, but it's really neat. I've been playing around with scanning in pencil images, turning them into single bit raster images (i.e. black and white only, no greys), then vectorising them. It works quite well to get quick vector ink lines.

Although while I'm using B+W, Inkscape's Trace Bitmap works with colour too. The resulting images can be rather complex (read: lots of nodes, possible slow downs) but they're pretty dang good.