PDA

View Full Version : Emotions and Abilities (also Soulknife & Kingdom Hearts & Destiny)

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 07:03 PM
OK, guys. My name is Shinken and I'm a diehard Kingdom Hearts fan.
*Hi Shinken!*
...oh, wait, I got a little carried away. :smallsmile:

See, I like the Soulknife class. No, I don't want the Psychic Warrior with shenanigans, I want the Soulknife. I like their class features and I find them to work pretty fine in the lower levels, from experience. I also think their whole 'creates a weapon' thing meshes very nicely with the Keyblade fluff from Kingdom Hearts. So I decided - in my world, I'll have a prestige class for Soulknives called the Blade of Destiny (or something like that). Soulknives chosen by destiny, their mindblades being actually a shard of destiny itself stuck in their souls.
I know I want this class to have full BAB, d8 Hit Dice, the same skill list as Soulknife and progress mindblade and psychic strike. Other features would depend in a choice of paths, depending on emotions - for now, I'm thinking hope (Sora) and sorrow (Rikku), but I'll definitely add more.
I was also thinking each emotion would be tied to a different ability, added in a Holy Liberator-esque progression. Hope would be divine magic and sorrow would be arcane magic.
Basically, my point here is which emotion should be tied to each special ability and why?

TL;DR Help me tie emotions to 'power sources' for a homebrew class with a 'power' progression similar to Holy Liberator.

Greenish
2010-12-19, 07:07 PM
How about giving them some actual psychic abilities and then mantles (based on the emotion), similar to ardents?

[Edit]: I mean, both divine and arcane use "external" power, while psionics by default is the magic of the mind, and thus of emotions.

Psyren
2010-12-19, 07:10 PM
I can't help much with the Kingdom Hearts side of things (Donald and Goofy seem an odd mix with Final Fantasy imho) however, I recommend you start with the much, much better Pathfinder Soulknife (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=779.html) rather than WotC's gimp version of the class.

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 07:23 PM
How about giving them some actual psychic abilities and then mantles (based on the emotion), similar to ardents?

[Edit]: I mean, both divine and arcane use "external" power, while psionics by default is the magic of the mind, and thus of emotions.
That is a good point. I wanted to use all kinds of magic just because it's destiny. I mean, a soulknife wouldn't really be psionic at all, it's just destiny. Psionics would be most 'tappable' emotion or something.
Basically, it's just that I want a divine soulknife, an arcane soulknife, a psionic soulknife and the like. The explation is basically 'it's just the pick of destiny... child, you know it will be rocking because it's [REDACTED] insane'.
Anyway, Ardent looks like a nice starting point, but I don't want an Ardent clone. God, I'm confusing myself with my answers >.<

I can't help much with the Kingdom Hearts side of things (Donald and Goofy seem an odd mix with Final Fantasy imho) however, I recommend you start with the much, much better Pathfinder Soulknife (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=779.html) rather than WotC's gimp version of the class.
One of the ideas here is increase the Soulknife's power, so using a more powerful class kind of defeats that purpose.

Psyren
2010-12-19, 08:12 PM
One of the ideas here is increase the Soulknife's power, so using a more powerful class kind of defeats that purpose.

You say that like the class I linked isn't a soulknife. :smallconfused:

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 08:16 PM
You say that like the class I linked isn't a soulknife. :smallconfused:

Psyren, seriously, the class you linked is overpowered. Period. It does many things no other class in Pathfinder can do (like unlimited Pounce).
...but that's not the point, anyway. I want to empower the WotC Soulknife, because it works fairly well at low levels but needs a boost on the mid levels.

Psyren
2010-12-19, 09:59 PM
I disagree that the class finally being useful means its overpowered; however if you want a less-powerful but still playable Soulknife update, you can try the 3.5. DSP Soulknife (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/soulknife) instead.

I just think it's more productive to start with something that isn't T5, imo. You'll have to worry about ironing out the kinks just to get it to T4-3, and only then figuring out ways to paint your fixes over with the KH fluff. But to each his own.

(By unlimited pounce, did you mean Furious Charge? Because charging itself has plenty of restrictions to keep it in line, e.g. no turning, difficult terrain etc.)

tyckspoon
2010-12-19, 10:04 PM
Psyren, seriously, the class you linked is overpowered. Period. It does many things no other class in Pathfinder can do (like unlimited Pounce).

Druids can still pretty much do that, actually- Pounce is one of the qualities that can be granted by Beast Shape II. It'd be nice to see an actual intended melee class have that ability survive to print.

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 10:22 PM
I disagree that the class finally being useful means its overpowered; however if you want a less-powerful but still playable Soulknife update, you can try the 3.5. DSP Soulknife (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/soulknife) instead.
Psyren, thanks but I'm not interested in Soulknife fixes. I dislike fixes.

I just think it's more productive to start with something that isn't T5, imo. You'll have to worry about ironing out the kinks just to get it to T4-3, and only then figuring out ways to paint your fixes over with the KH fluff. But to each his own.
Access to a prestige class with full base attack, limited spellcasting and progressing your main class features. There, 'fixed'.

By unlimited pounce, did you mean Furious Charge? Because charging itself has plenty of restrictions to keep it in line, e.g. no turning, difficult terrain etc.
Charging is restricted. The only class in Pathfinder with free pounce? Soulknife. Even psychic warriors have to burn powers for it. Not to mention blade abilities that are basically feat-trees-for-a-bargain-price.
Anyway, that's not my point. I'm glad you found a Soulknife class you like, it's just that fixes are not my cup of tea.

Druids can still pretty much do that, actually- Pounce is one of the qualities that can be granted by Beast Shape II. It'd be nice to see an actual intended melee class have that ability survive to print.
Beast Shape is limited. Furious Charge isn't. And really, this thread is not about a 3rd-party Soulknife 'fix'. If you could take this debate to another thread, I'd be very satisfied.

tyckspoon
2010-12-19, 10:32 PM
Beast Shape is limited. Furious Charge isn't. And really, this thread is not about a 3rd-party Soulknife 'fix'. If you could take this debate to another thread, I'd be very satisfied.

In as much as 1 hr/druid level is 'limited', I suppose. Pathfinder didn't change the durations on Wildshape. *shrug* Still, you're right, it's not really relevant to the topic.

Psyren
2010-12-19, 10:37 PM
Access to a prestige class with full base attack, limited spellcasting and progressing your main class features. There, 'fixed'.

...which would be homebrew anyway.
But, suit yourself. *exits*

JKTrickster
2010-12-19, 10:59 PM
I just want to say that this would probably get more help from the Homebrew boards. After all, they have more experience with this kind of thing.

But mind you, you'll still get the "Soulknife sucks" comments there. It's just that you'll get help too. It might help to post some kind of "no I don't want any fixes, I'm fine" in the OP though.

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 11:02 PM
I just want to say that this would probably get more help from the Homebrew boards. After all, they have more experience with this kind of thing.
Wasn't sure if I should post there, I only see actual formated homebrew there.

But mind you, you'll still get the "Soulknife sucks" comments there. It's just that you'll get help too. It might help to post some kind of "no I don't want any fixes, I'm fine" in the OP though.
I kind of already did that. Didn't work. :smallsigh:

Psyren
2010-12-19, 11:10 PM
I kind of already did that. Didn't work. :smallsigh:

No, you didn't. You said you didn't want a psychic warrior (I presume that "shenanigans" was a reference to the Soulbound Weapon ACF), which I never once suggested, in accordance with your wishes.

I'm not trying to derail your thread, I just think it's a bit unfair for me to be treated like the bad guy when all I was doing was trying to help.

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 11:13 PM
No, you didn't. You said you didn't want a psychic warrior (I presume that "shenanigans" was a reference to the Soulbound Weapon ACF), which I never once suggested, in accordance with your wishes.

I'm not trying to derail your thread, I just think it's a bit unfair for me to be treated like the bad guy when all I was doing was trying to help.

Sorry, not what I intended. I just thought saying 'I want a soulknife, not something else' would be enough. DSP Soulknife, Pathfinder Soulknife, whatever, it's just not the Soulknife I meant. Thanks for your help.

The Antigamer
2010-12-20, 04:28 PM
How many emotions and which ones do you want shinken? I think I could come up with ideas better with a full list of emotions, for balance purposes.

Emotions to choose from:

Affection
Anger
Annoyance
Angst
Apathy
Anxiety
Awe
Contempt
Curiosity
Depression
Desire
Despair
Disappointment
Disgust
Ecstasy
Empathy
Envy
Embarrassment
Euphoria
Fear
Frustration
Gratitude
Grief
Guilt
Happiness
Hatred
Hope
Horror
Hostility
Hysteria
Interest
Jealousy
Joy
Loathing
Love
Lust
Misery
Pity
Pride
Rage
Regret
Remorse
Sadness
Shame
Shyness
Sorrow
Suffering
Surprise
Wonder
Worry

true_shinken
2010-12-21, 04:01 PM
How many emotions and which ones do you want shinken? I think I could come up with ideas better with a full list of emotions, for balance purposes.
Wow, that's a really long list. I was thinking on probably courage, hope, fear and sorrow.