PDA

View Full Version : Got me all Tangled up!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-20, 01:00 AM
Just got back from seeing the latest Disney film Tangled.

Rapunzel is my new favorite Disney princess. She was totally 'wanna eat you up' adorable. My sister described her as a mix between Luna Lovegood and Miley Cyrus.

I.e. Cute as the dickens, subtly sexy (hey, she's 18), kind of spontaneously random, and couldn't really sing :smallwink:

Yeah, I loved it. It was very Disney, but also had a distinct Shrekish feel at the same time, and not just because of the animation. It had me laughing through most of it, even if the majority was kinda dumb humor, but it was cute dumb humor :smallbiggrin:

- Spoilers Below -

Coulda done without the rather tedious and strangely fruity barbarian musical though. Was just kinda pointless and not very amusing... aside from the dirty old midget.

Had some really beautiful scenes in there to. Got a tear in my eye a couple times and the love scenes were very heartfelt.

My favorite scene was a toss up between the defeat of the step-mother, who by the by may be the only attractive 'evil parent' yet introduced in a Disney film, the floating lanterns, and the little girl's reaction to the offer of braiding Rapunzel's hair.

The 1st made me go HA!

The 2nd made me go Oooo!

The 3rd just cracked me up completely.

Nothing really stood up and grabbed me in particular, but it was well done http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Dr.Epic
2010-12-20, 01:26 AM
Rapunzel is my new favorite Disney princess. She was totally 'wanna eat you up' adorable. My sister described her as a mix between Luna Lovegood and Miley Cyrus.

I think Mulan would have to be my favorite Disney princess just because she's a bad ass soldier.

I.e. Cute as the dickens, subtly sexy (hey, she's 18), kind of spontaneously random, and couldn't really sing :smallwink:

I can't believe I'm saying this about a cartoon character, but (since you mention "sexy") in terms of looks, my favorite Disney princess would have to be Jasmine: mid rift, cleavage, dark tan.:smallamused: Need I go on.

Still, Rapunzel is voiced by Mandy Moore and gotta admit, she it pretty hot.

Yeah, I loved it. It was very Disney, but also had a distinct Shrekish feel at the same time, and not just because of the animation. It had me laughing through most of it, even if the majority was kinda dumb humor, but it was cute dumb humor :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, when it comes to medieval fantasy cartoons done entirely with CG I think Dreamworks what with the Shrek series and How to Train Your Dragon. Not to mention when I think Disney princess I think traditional hand drawn animation.

- Spoilers Below -

These would be better used if you put them in spoilers. You know...

these

Marillion
2010-12-20, 11:16 AM
Personally, my favorite part was every scene Maximus was in. I want a swordshorse!

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-20, 11:24 AM
I thought Tangled was great. :smallbiggrin: A highly enjoyable children's film. Not the best Disney's done, but not the worst.
The music was pretty awful though. Disney hasn't had really good music since probably Hunchback of Notre Dame. Princess and the Frog had pretty good music. But Tangled's music, for the most part, sounded like it was composed for Disney's pop stars. And that's pretty bad. The stepmother's song sounded kind of copy/pasted from "Poor Unfortunate Souls" at times, too.
Favorite Disney princess: Belle
Favorite Disney prince: Phillip (Sleeping Beauty)

AgentofOdd
2010-12-20, 04:46 PM
Definitely a fun movie even though it targeted the tween crowd.

Tangled really did seem to be taking cues from DreamWorks. Even the movie poster where characters smirk at the viewer is something DreamWorks tends to do.

Unfortunately, like Mauve mentioned, it had really weak music... Though slightly better than the average tween fare I suppose. Rather disappointing considering the composer (Alan Menken) did scores for The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and a few others I forget.

KillItWithFire
2010-12-23, 08:51 AM
I saw Tangled and I was kind of, unimpressed by it. It wasn't good, It wasn't bad. It was just there. I think Disney has been trying to recreate what they had in the 90's but they haven't succeeded so far.

and am I the only one who thought that the ending where Flynn almost died was a huge dues ex machinima?

Disney hasn't had really good music since probably Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Why can't I sing like an epic latin choir? :smallfrown: My voice cracks whenever I get to the highest note.

Renegade Paladin
2010-12-23, 09:24 AM
I thought it was brilliant. But then, I have a penchant for playing characters similar to Flynn Ryder (that is actually the entire reason I went to see it), so what do I know? :smallbiggrin: The Stabbington brothers (HA!) were just classic rogue thugs, and Mother Gothel is as creepy a villain as they come. I loved it, start to finish.
Why can't I sing like an epic latin choir? :smallfrown: My voice cracks whenever I get to the highest note.
Speaking as a trained singer: Because you haven't learned how. That sort of singing is actually very easy for the trained voice as far as choral music goes, simply because it by nature doesn't have complex individual lines; instead it interweaves the choir to gain its depth and complexity, with each part being individually simple but an integral part of the greater whole. But that's another thread.

monkeysammich
2010-12-23, 09:25 AM
I went to see it with my 3 year old daughter. She and I both adored the movie... and her uncle got her a 18" repunzel doll (complete with 17" of hair o_O) ... and she carries that girl everywhere.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-23, 12:07 PM
I loved it. The music was good, jokes funny, and characters great.

Flynn is so lucky to get a girl like her.

DeadManSleeping
2010-12-23, 12:18 PM
Flynn is superb, and Rapunzel is adorable. Also, for some reason, I just loved the frying pan gag.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-23, 12:29 PM
For any of you of the female persuasion (or guys with long hair and, uh... anyways), my sister found this video on how to make that big old braid of Rapunzel's from Tangled, complete with woven little mini-braids like she had.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeVvAQJ1qBo

Marillion
2010-12-23, 12:57 PM
and am I the only one who thought that the ending where Flynn almost died was a huge dues ex machinima?

Spoilered for spoilers.

The whole thing with Rapunzels tears healing Flynn was a reference to the original fairy tale. In the fairy tale, the evil witch cuts Rapunzels hair, casts her out, and puts out the prince's eyes. Months later, as he's wandering the countryside, he hears her voice and they are reunited, and her tears restore his sight.

Occasional Sage
2010-12-23, 01:54 PM
I'm looking forward to this one, and I haven't anticipated a Disney movie in a loooooooooooong time!

I've gotta go with Lilo as my favorite Disney lady, even though she's not a princess: believably messed-up psyche from her parents' death, Elvis fan, great mix of humor and pathos, and A REALISTIC SHAPE.

ThePhantom
2010-12-23, 10:35 PM
Problems with Tangled? I didn't find any. I love this movie, especailly for having a bit more realist villian.

Mother Knows Best, the repise I find very good. Not quite the showstopper of Friends on the Other Side, but its tempo I like a bit more.

Cyrion
2010-12-23, 11:25 PM
We saw it this afternoon, and I thought it was a good movie in the classic Disney vein. Like others, I wasn't really impressed with the music.

Maximus was awesome!

Draz74
2010-12-24, 11:48 AM
Odd, I thought the music (not the lyrics necessarily) was great. I've always been a sucker for Alan Menken music and this movie was no exception. I tend to pay a lot more attention to the melodies and harmonies (and less to the words) than most people, though, so if the lyrics were lame, that would explain my difference of opinion with the majority here.

@Tribble: You're nuts. The fruity barbarian musical was easily the best part of the whole movie. I couldn't stop laughing for minutes on end, and neither could my date.

Pascal is now my favorite Disney animal-sidekick. Adorable, busting with personality borne of exaggerated facial expressions, and ... come on, he's a chameleon. Who saw that coming? And is there a more tricked-out animal on the planet? (Lightning-speed sticky tongue, color changing, bulbous independently 360-degree eyes, and prehensile tail.)

They did a really, really good job making me hate Gothel. Most decent Disney villains are so extreme in their villainy that they're not very believable, which makes them fun but not really hateable. Gothel, on the other hand, was just subtle enough to be all too believable, mostly due to her profoundly realistic verbal abuse of Rapunzel throughout the movie (complete with plenty of insincere "I love you"s).

Dialogue was definitely a little bit childish overall, but I can forgive that.

I actually think their biggest mistake in this movie -- despite its high production costs overall -- was a lack of good advertising. I read an article where Disney was complaining that "princess movies" just don't rake in the kind of revenues that e.g. Despicable Me brought in. Come on people, Despicable Me was the subject of practically every friggin' Hulu.com advertisement for a month. Methinks Disney's advertising team is just behind the times, doesn't know where to advertise effectively in the information age, and this is hurting Tangled's exposure to the public a lot.

Spoilered for spoilers.

The whole thing with Rapunzels tears healing Flynn was a reference to the original fairy tale. In the fairy tale, the evil witch cuts Rapunzels hair, casts her out, and puts out the prince's eyes. Months later, as he's wandering the countryside, he hears her voice and they are reunited, and her tears restore his sight.

Still, "the existence of the original fairy tale" doesn't count as a valid form of foreshadowing IMO. Not to mention, raising someone from the dead is a wee bit more extreme than restoring eyesight, no? (Level 5 Cleric spell vs. Level 2 Cleric spell ... :smallwink:)

So I thought it was totally a deus ex machina, which annoyed me quite a bit.

I might have been able to forgive it if they had e.g. foreshadowed that her tears had any magical properties at all ... maybe had flowers and plants spring up wherever her tears landed earlier in the movie? There was that scene during all her mood swings in the forest, where she was bawling with guilt for running away from Gothel ...

Overall, I liked the movie quite a lot, though it wasn't wow-amazing like some of Disney's earlier classics. Mulan's place as my favorite Disney princess is secure.

KillItWithFire
2010-12-24, 06:29 PM
Overall, I liked the movie quite a lot, though it wasn't wow-amazing like some of Disney's earlier classics. Mulan's place as my favorite Disney princess is secure.

Now remembering me and my 2 friends (all 3 of us baritone 17 year old males) singing a trio of To be a Man in the lunchroom. Good times.

Lyra Reynolds
2010-12-25, 07:19 AM
I thought it was brilliant. But then, I have a penchant for playing characters similar to Flynn Ryder (that is actually the entire reason I went to see it), so what do I know? :smallbiggrin:
This is exactly why I went to see it. :smallbiggrin: I have a Changeling Bard with a huge ego who is pretty much EXACTLY like Flynn - even the outfit I designed for him looks like Flynn's outfit, and I designed that oufit before the first Tangled trailers even came out!
So I call Tangled "The Unofficial Lux Movie". ;)

Anyway, I loved the movie. :D I'd have to see it again to be sure, but I felt it was on par with The Little Mermaid (I hesitate to say Beauty and the Beast because... well. Which animated movie is?). I particularly loved the floating lantern scene, it nearly brought tears to my eyes. I saw it in 3D because that was the only way to see it in English instead of the Dutch sub. I normally don't care for 3D, but at that particular scene I was glad it was 3D - it just added wonderfully to the effect. Gorgeous.

Mother Gothel was EVIL. :smallfurious: Holy crap. Claude Frollo can take lessons from here in how to be manipulative, sheesh! The worst thing was that it was so REAL: "you're getting kind of chubby"? Seriously? Eek. :smalleek:

Weezer
2010-12-25, 04:22 PM
Mother Gothel was EVIL. :smallfurious: Holy crap. Claude Frollo can take lessons from here in how to be manipulative, sheesh! The worst thing was that it was so REAL: "you're getting kind of chubby"? Seriously? Eek. :smalleek:

It was impressive how well they captured how manipulative people generate dependence, the whole breaking her down, making her feel like she's a bad person that only her mother could possibly love. It was incredibly realistic, and matches what I've seen of super emotionally manipulative relationships.

Lyra Reynolds
2010-12-25, 08:05 PM
It was impressive how well they captured how manipulative people generate dependence, the whole breaking her down, making her feel like she's a bad person that only her mother could possibly love. It was incredibly realistic, and matches what I've seen of super emotionally manipulative relationships.

Yes! The realism was what made it extra scary. I wouldn't be surprised if adults found her even more evil than kids did, because you recognise the behavior from real life. Kind of like how people think Umbridge is worse than Voldemort: Voldemort is a standard fantasy villain, but Umbridge could be REAL. :smalleek:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-12-27, 12:56 PM
... tl;dr ... and A REALISTIC SHAPE.

A cartoon character with a realistic shape? Inconceivable!
(you keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means)

I havent seen the movie, but I kinda want to. Rapunzel and her clones are going to be villians in my DND campaign. Loooong story.

Also, it has +1 in my book for starring Zach Levi (Chuck) as the lead male voice. Chuck rules.

Quincunx
2010-12-27, 02:25 PM
I actually think their biggest mistake in this movie -- despite its high production costs overall -- was a lack of good advertising. I read an article where Disney was complaining that "princess movies" just don't rake in the kind of revenues that e.g. Despicable Me brought in. Come on people, Despicable Me was the subject of practically every friggin' Hulu.com advertisement for a month. Methinks Disney's advertising team is just behind the times, doesn't know where to advertise effectively in the information age, and this is hurting Tangled's exposure to the public a lot.

Considering I hadn't even heard of it 'til I happened to click on this thread, you may well have a point. I wonder if they had promoted it on tween or mom websites at the expense of ignoring the usual viral vectors of (unclean, not Disneyesque) 'net dwellers, the blogs and review sites.

HamHam
2010-12-27, 04:56 PM
I think my favorite part was that the evil witch didn't actually have any powers, just a knife. For stabbing people with.

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-28, 01:41 PM
I laughed so many times by the end of the movie my insides hurt. :smallfrown:

She looked way better with short brown hair.

HamHam
2010-12-28, 04:32 PM
I have to say though, I think the movie fell apart during the third act.

The "couple broken up through misunderstanding" trope is so overdone and cliche that I don't even think the movie was taking it seriously, and just did it half-heartedly and threw in deus ex machina memory restoration cause they had no better ideas.

Given how nuanced the relationship between Rapunzel and her "mother" was during the first act, it was I think a wasted opportunity that could have led to a far deeper, more intelligent film than what we got.

Kislath
2010-12-28, 10:12 PM
I loved this movie. The first couple of musical numbers made me cringe, but the "fruity barbarian" bit more than made up for them and then some. The plot was cool, maximus was awesome, and I've never before seen a wicked stepmother type who I thought was HOT. ( she looks so familiar, somehow, too ) I also liked how her powers mainly involved verbal abuse and stabbing folks instead of slinging spells.
The lantern launch actually got me all choked up a bit, too.

Marillion
2010-12-28, 10:36 PM
, maximus was awesome,
The movie was really about him :smalltongue:

Or should have been anyway

and I've never before seen a wicked stepmother type who I thought was HOT. ( she looks so familiar, somehow, too )
Agreed, and Bernadette Peters (http://991.com/newgallery/Bernadette-Peters-Autographed-Portr-285308.jpg). At least, I thought so.