PDA

View Full Version : [PF PEACH] Flurry of Blows Feats (for Non-monks)

Quirken
2010-12-20, 03:04 AM
I want to create some homebrewed feats that allow people who've only taken one level of Monk to use Flurry of Blows as a viable attack (primarily, I'm doing a Monk/Rogue), but I want to do so in a way that doesn't throw off game balance too much.

I've bolded the parts that actually have my questions... so if you're familiar with the mechanics, you can skim over the rest.

The first step seems to just allow the Ascetic Monk feat from 3.5's Complete Adventurer, which allows monk/rogue levels to stack for determining how much damage your unarmed strikes do. Easy. (Is it unbalanced to just say all classes stack for the Ascetic Monk feat? So that a 11 Rogue / 5 Barbarian / 1 Monk is treated as a 17 Monk for damage calculation? (2d8 unarmed damage, vs 2d6 as written))

Next, I made modified versions of Improved/Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, where the big difference is they only apply to unarmed attacks, and don't require TWF as a pre-req, since level 1 monk takes care of that.

The normal Pathfinder Monk rules state that a Monk should treat his BAB for Flurry of Blows as equal to his Monk level. (If you look at the Flurry of Blows column, they already subtracted -2 for two-weapon fighting).

According to the Pathfinder FAQ, you then add any other BAB bonus you have from other classes. So a 11 Rogue / 1Monk ends up a Flurry BAB of +9, while a 12 Monk would have a Flurry BAB of +12.

Given that to keep pace with the Monk, this is already using up 3 feats (one to stack monk/rogue levels for flurry damage, and two for TWF feats)...

Should I require yet another feat to treat your BAB for flurry attacks as equal to your character level? Or is it fair to roll that into Ascetic Rogue? Or into the Flurry of Blows mechanic itself?

Alternatively, it might be more fair to use the relationship of monk BAB with monk flurry BAB. I've noticed that if you ignore the flurry-BAB-equals-monk-level, every 4 levels, the monk gets +1 "bonus" to flurry BAB, vs regular BAB

That is... Take monk BAB for levels
1-4, 1 "bonus" compared to normal BAB for Flurry (then -2 for TWF).
5-8, 2 "bonus"
9-12, 3 "bonus"
13-16, 4 "bonus"
17-20, 5 "bonus"

It might be better to use this in feat mechanics?

Perhaps... "For each 4 character levels you have, add 1 to your BAB to get your flurry BAB (this replaces your flurry BAB progression received from Monk)"

This would give:
20 Monk: +18 flurry BAB (+15, +5 bonus, -2 TWF = +18, which is monk standard)
19 Rogue / 1 Monk: +17 flurry BAB (+14 BAB, +5 bonus, -2 TWF = +17)
11 Rogue / 8 Barbarian / 1 Monk: +19 flurry BAB (+8 rogue, +8 barbarian, +5 bonus, -2 TWF = +19)
19 Barbarian / 1 Monk = +22 (+19, +5 bonus, -2 TWF = +22!!!)

That last example seems like it might be worth putting a clause in there saying, "Your Flurry BAB cannot exceed that of a non-multiclass monk." Think that's necessary?

Any good ideas to these ends? Or feedback? Thanks in advance! :)