PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] List of decent fixes?

Lateral
2010-12-21, 03:21 PM
Are there any lists of well-thought-out fixes for badly-made/underpowered classes, prestige classes, and/or feats?

Also, could someone tell me if making Dodge give a +Dex dodge bonus and making Mobility allow you to ignore (dex) attacks of opportunity caused when you move out of or within a threatened area per round are decent fixes for Dodge/Mobility?

I mean homebrewed fixes on these forums. Preferably true to the original's flavor, just... less suckish.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-12-21, 04:01 PM
The Soulknife had a great set of fixes in Mind's Eye.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a

As for the stuff in the PHB... Well, it's not bad as long as you use splatbooks. I think that Incarnum came up with some great essentia feats for the PHB feats.

Lateral
2010-12-21, 04:03 PM
Oh, sorry, I forgot to specify; I meant homebrewed fixes on these forums. Preferably true to the original's flavor, just... less suckish.

arguskos
2010-12-21, 04:09 PM
Anything ever made by T.G.Oskar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9539457&postcount=83) is good for this. His Monk, Ninja, Samurai, Warmage, Healer, and "Hexblade" are all strong classes.

afroakuma (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5281866&postcount=45) has some great fixes as well for the Ninja and Samurai.

Descent of Shadows is a great project for the Shadowcaster (though it's more of a "here's some (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519) bonus material for shadow magic" than a true "fix").

I think there's a few Paladin fixes running around, and more Fighter fixes than I can shake a stick at, but none of them ever really did it for me.

Some use d20rebirth as a full replacement, but I was never crazy about it. It's a good project though, if sadly unfinished, due to Fax having a life from hell and now a kid to worry about. It's also left these forums for other pastures, last I saw, so you'd best ask Fax_Celestis personally about where to find it.

peacenlove
2010-12-21, 04:48 PM
Descent of Shadows is a great project for the Shadowcaster (though it's more of a "here's some (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519) bonus material for shadow magic" than a true "fix").

Totally agree here. I still play with this material, and my improved shadowcaster in my sig for about 3 years, and we (as a gaming group) still improve and enrich the original material without the mousferatou fixes. Got the word documents for both if you are interested.

Also, could someone tell me if making Dodge give a +Dex dodge bonus and making Mobility allow you to ignore (dex) attacks of opportunity caused when you move out of or within a threatened area per round are decent fixes for Dodge/Mobility?

Don't know about mobility (having total concealment/cover negates AoO anyway), however dex to dodge is very powerful and a lot of monsters would benefit unnecessarily by it (will of the wisp and air elementals for example with a 30 dexterity)
Dodge should have AC bonus = 1 + 1 / 3 base attack bonus IMO.
Mobility should give tumble as a class skill usable in any armor and some bonus on tumble checks based again on attack bonus.

arguskos
2010-12-21, 05:01 PM
Totally agree here. I still play with this material, and my improved shadowcaster in my sig for about 3 years, and we (as a gaming group) still improve and enrich the original material without the mousferatou fixes. Got the word documents for both if you are interested.
I never can find your Imp. Shadowcaster, so good that you posted! :smallbiggrin:

On that note, I tend to play with the Mouseferatu fixes along with the ones already posted. Definitely rockets the class up to a Tier 3 position, where I feel they're best suited.

Uh, other fixes... don't actually know many that I care about honestly. Most of the other ones I've seen are unsatisfying at best, especially fighter fix attempts. I've got my own one planned, but it's going to have to wait for a time.

Lateral
2010-12-21, 05:09 PM
M'kay, fair enough. What about the Dodge/Mobility I posted? One of my players wants to go Shadowdancer, but Dodge/Mobility suck and she'd rather not take them, so she came to me with that idea.

Siosilvar
2010-12-21, 05:10 PM
[shamelessselfplug]Well, I made a duelist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8630933#post8630933) fix a while back...[/shamelesssellfplug]

arguskos
2010-12-21, 05:12 PM
M'kay, fair enough. What about the Dodge/Mobility I posted? One of my players wants to go Shadowdancer, but Dodge/Mobility suck and she'd rather not take them, so she came to me with that idea.
Dodge as Dex to AC again bugs me, since that's more of a class feature thing (see: Monk's Wis to AC, Paladin's Cha to Saves, and other similar abilities on PrCs). However, what if we did +Dex as dodge bonus to AC, max bonus +1/3 character levels? That way, it's capped at a reasonable amount and still is useful.

Your Mobility is totally fine though. I like it.

peacenlove
2010-12-21, 05:14 PM
I never can find your Imp. Shadowcaster, so good that you posted! :smallbiggrin:

On that note, I tend to play with the Mouseferatu fixes along with the ones already posted. Definitely rockets the class up to a Tier 3 position, where I feel they're best suited.

Uh, other fixes... don't actually know many that I care about honestly. Most of the other ones I've seen are unsatisfying at best, especially fighter fix attempts. I've got my own one planned, but it's going to have to wait for a time.

So path masteries AND bonus feats when completing a path? Isn't this a little strange? And how do you play supernatural powers DC? 10+1/2 shadowcaster level + charisma or 10+1/2 caster level + charisma?
Also need to update him, i have added some more abilities and trying to find an answer to pathfinder's empowerment of the sorcerer (1 extra spell known per level variant in APG)

EDIT: sorry i got carried away, if you have any answer Arguskos please send a PM.

On topic OneWinged4ngel's paladin was very good, but Pathfinder's paladin is also very good and a decent damage dealer with diverse playstyles (paladin archers? hell yeah!).

arguskos
2010-12-21, 05:18 PM
So path masteries AND bonus feats when completing a path? Isn't this a little strange? And how do you play supernatural powers DC? 10+1/2 shadowcaster level + charisma or 10+1/2 caster level + charisma?
Also need to update him, i have added some more abilities and trying to find an answer to pathfinder's empowerment of the sorcerer (1 extra spell known per level variant in APG)
Path Mastery feats are just feats, and I treat them as such, takable whenever you get the chance and fulfill the criteria. Bonus feats when completing a path are in place instead of feats for number of paths you have access too. Su DCs are 10+1/2 caster level+cha.

I tend to default to the Mouseferatu fixes, simply because I find them more elegant (and it's less daunting for my players to work through, and I always use the same toys I give my players; it's only fair, right?)

Also, I'll stop threadjacking now. :smallredface:

Lateral
2010-12-21, 05:20 PM
What if we did +Dex as dodge bonus to AC, max bonus +1/3 character levels? That way, it's capped at a reasonable amount and still is useful.

Hmm... okay, but max bonus 1+1/3 character levels. That way, you actually get a bonus at 1st level, but you don't have to wait until 6th level for it to go up.

We'll call 'em Improved Dodge and Improved Mobility, in the vein of Improved Toughness.

arguskos
2010-12-21, 05:23 PM
Hmm... okay, but max bonus 1+1/3 character levels. That way, you actually get a bonus at 1st level, but you don't have to wait until 6th level for it to go up.

We'll call 'em Improved Dodge and Improved Mobility, in the vein of Improved Toughness.
Oh, I always read that as base 1, then +1 at level 3/6/9/whatever. Fair enough, my wording isn't always the best! Glad to help though.

EDIT: Also, I believe there already is an "Improved Mobility".

Jallorn
2010-12-21, 05:31 PM
I have what I think is a pretty good Swashbuckler fix in my sig. And I'm working (slowly) on a Bard fix.

Lateral
2010-12-21, 05:50 PM
EDIT: Also, I believe there already is an "Improved Mobility".

Okay, call it 'Advanced Mobility'.

IcarusWings
2010-12-22, 05:15 AM
I've always liked the Gambit Fighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140278) by Realms of Chaos as a good Fighter Fix.

And I'm pretty sure most of the d20r (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132683) stuff is backwards compatible, and there's some great stuff their.