PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tablets

Zanaril
2010-12-21, 06:46 PM
My wacom Bamboo tablet is covered in a thin layer of muck where my hand has been resting periodically over the last year. Is it safe to try cleaning this off with a damp cloth, or will that cause something to explode?

Any other tips for cleaning tablets?

Marnath
2010-12-21, 07:04 PM
If it's the same as what happens with my mouse, may I suggest scraping it off with your thumbnail? It removes the gunk fine for me.

Domochevsky
2010-12-21, 07:09 PM
Yeah, as long as you unplug it beforehand you can easily wipe it off, damp or dry either way. (But let it dry before using it again. Just to make sure.)

Trazoi
2010-12-21, 07:09 PM
I don't think I've needed to clean my tablet, but I think a lightly damp cloth should be fine (dampen the cloth rather than spray water on the tablet itself) followed up by a dry cloth to remove any light moisture. Maybe cleaning between the buttons might be an issue, but even then you're probably safe.

I've taped a plastic transparency sheet over my tablet for a bit of protection and to give it different surface texture, so most of the much on my tablet is on that and is easy to replace.

Domochevsky
2010-12-21, 07:58 PM
Oh hey, i've been looking for something like that. Where did you get those? Or are they regular household sheets misused?

Trazoi
2010-12-21, 08:08 PM
Oh hey, i've been looking for something like that. Where did you get those? Or are they regular household sheets misused?
The plastic sheet? It's just a standard A4 transparency sheet, the kind used for printing figures and images for projectors when teaching classes or giving presentations. I've got an A5 tablet so the sheet big enough to cover the working space with room to spare. It's attached with regular clear sticky tape; no fancy high-tech wizardry here. :smallsmile:

shawnhcorey
2010-12-22, 03:37 PM
I don't think I've needed to clean my tablet, but I think a lightly damp cloth should be fine (dampen the cloth rather than spray water on the tablet itself)...

Agreed. When cleaning electronics, apply the cleaning solution to a cloth and wipe it on. That way it is less likely that the solution will seep into a crack and short your equipment.

Try a mild soap and warm water first. If that doesn't work, try glass cleaner.

Winter_Wolf
2010-12-29, 11:40 PM
I don't have a Bamboo tablet, but I have a Grapphire3 by the same company. Does your tablet not have a clear plastic overlay that came with the tablet when you got it? Basically anything that uses ~50% isopropyl alcohol (like screen wipes) is ideal for cleaning the gunk off all your computer equipment. I'd make sure it was off just for reasons of static electricity, but I've cleaned my tablet, monitor, tower case, keyboard, printer, speakers, mouse.... you see where I'm going with this? I've been using Officemax screen wipes (which is to say, cheapo crappy screen wipes) on my comps for a while, and they haven't been harmed at all by it.

What I wouldn't do is take the piece of electrical equipment and give it a warm soapy loofah bath. :smallwink: