PDA

View Full Version : Help With Roommates?

TruorTupnm
2010-12-22, 05:39 PM
No, I'm not advertising for roommates. Well, as an afterthought, if there are any of you awesome Giant In The Playground forum members in my area, toss me one of those Private Message things.

Anyways, I am looking to move out of my current place and have narrowed my options down to two. I don't know how to make those table things because I can't find the straight line thingy on my keyboard to separate things, so:

One is a lady that I have lots of similar interests to, while the other is a couple of dudes who just seem mellow enough to be decent.

The lady is having roommate and money problems, while the dudes seem like they would just be a bit annoyed, if I chose someone else.

I can move in with the lady in the middle of next month, so I'd have to pay for my rent at my current place as well as the new one, while the other dudes would be moving me in on Christmas. Money is tight, but I'd be able to manage, either way, I suppose.

Getting to work from either place will take a bit of doing, but it seems as if it'd be easier from the dude's place. But then, I plan on getting a job closer to home, as soon as possible, either way.

The lady hates the place and wants to move as soon as possible. She did offer to take me with her, wherever, but, since I don't know any of these people very well, who knows if we'd even want to move together? The dudes look to have no thoughts of going anywhere.

Sounds as if I'm choosing between fun and reliability, which isn't cool.

The Giant In The Playground forums are obviously the most intelligent place to ask for a bit of assistance, yes?

xPANCAKEx
2010-12-22, 06:19 PM
while of course getting on with your room mates is essential, becoming genuine friends with them is not. You may spend time together out of convieniance, but ask yourself after you move on will you keep in contact?

as for the dudes being annoyed if you choose someone else? thats a non-issue. Them finding a housemate is not your problem.

re: the lady

why doesnt she like the current place?
is she the lease holder, and if not, will you be lumbered with the lease if she moves out as she seems to want to?

re: the dudes

are they easy enough to get along with despite maybe having different interests

TruorTupnm
2010-12-22, 06:29 PM
Once I leave a roommate, I definitely don't keep in contact. I don't keep in contact with anyone who isn't in front of me, pretty much. Whoops? Yay for keeping things simple, I figure.

Did I type that the lady didn't like her current place? Whoops. No, she is just having problems with her current roommate. He is very unreliable and won't be able to help her out with the money that he already owes her or the upcoming bills. Yes, she is a lease holder, but I wouldn't take that for granted. I figure that I'd get added to the lease, at some point, and either look for new roommates to move in with me or move elsewhere. I've moved around a lot. No large deal.

Yes, the dudes seem plenty cool enough, to myself. One of them might be a bit too anal-retentive and paranoid, and the other is a jobless student and addicted to the World Of Woodcraft, but I've had roommates that were far worse.

xPANCAKEx
2010-12-22, 06:31 PM
both sound less than ideal to be honest

both cases present a risk of being lumbered with additional bills to prop up lousy room mates

Don Julio Anejo
2010-12-23, 04:44 AM
The lady. Here's why: she already wants to move. So... why not move with her to a place that's also easier for you to get to work from? Btw, out of curiosity, why are you referring to her as a "lady?" Is she significantly older than you? Because me personally, I'd choose someone closer to my own age, for the simple fact of doing things together and it would probably tip the scales firmly towards the two dudes. Unless, of course, the lady is abnormally attractive :smallwink:
Hey, just because the lady is your roommate, doesn't mean she doesn't have cougar friends...
The two dudes kinda sound like Sheldon and Wollowitz. Don't know why.

TruorTupnm
2010-12-24, 09:01 PM
Well, I work with what I've got. I've been looking for roommates in my area for a few months, and these are the best that I've found, so far.

Towards the lady ---> No, I think that she's actually a bit younger than myself. I just call females ladies and males dudes. Or I'll just call someone, "That Don Julio Anejo person!" It is a habit that some people are not large fans of. oh well. Anyways, I've lived with people that were a lot older than myself and encountered no problems. People outside of your age group are people, too!

Towards the dudes ---> I don't know Sheldon and Wollowitz. *looks them up* Ah. Which one is which? I might be the more serious one.

RandomNPC
2010-12-27, 07:36 PM
First of all if you don't know them, you've got bigger issues than roomies.

wait, recalibrate priorities....

yea, movie in with the lady and go watch yourself some big bang theory.