PDA

View Full Version : Call me an Apprentice...

Doccit
2010-12-22, 06:12 PM
So I've been trying to emulate the Oots style so some friends can have a cool looking place to hold their index cards. Read a tutorial or two, and here are some results:
http://i51.tinypic.com/ayq7gw.png

From left to right: Lullen the Eladrin Ranger, Gindul the Dragonborn Paladin, Rossler the Wilden Psion, and Carrie the Half-Elf Bard.

Needless to say, this has been a humbleing experience. xD I find myself in need of some general tips, criticisms and other such things. Particularly, the wilden doesn't look right at all. One has never appeared in the comic, but how do you suppose it would look?

Maxios
2010-12-22, 06:20 PM
Great job! :smallbiggrin:

shawnhcorey
2010-12-22, 08:30 PM
Excellent. I think I'll steal...er...borrow them as a reference. :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2010-12-22, 08:35 PM
Are those your first attempt? Man, they're nice.

If you want my advice, round out the corners and the ends of the lines. If you're using Inkscape, it's in the Fill and Stroke Menu (CTRL+Shift+F) under the Stroke Style Tab.

If you're using something else I'm not sure. :smalltongue:

Doccit
2010-12-22, 09:00 PM
Thank you Maxious. :D You are quite welcome to borrow them Shawnhcorey, but I don't think they wil serve well as references, I'm just some noob. xD

And yes this is a first attempt Haruki, but I've at Flash for a few years now. So I suppose that answers the next question, don't worry though, inkscape and flash are very similar in capabilities and style if not layout. I actually started out with rounded edges, but something made me want to change it. But now that you've brought it up, it would look much better and be more consistant. I'll change them. ;)

Raistlin1040
2010-12-23, 03:11 AM
Damn. That is some sexy-ass shading.

Domochevsky
2010-12-23, 12:45 PM
Damn. That is some sexy-ass shading.

You mean how it doesn't exist? >_>

Bradakhan
2010-12-23, 01:10 PM

There's some on the 1st and 3rd ones. :smallwink:
Unless he just means the effect of the shadows below them.

smuchmuch
2010-12-23, 01:16 PM

To be fair, there's a little,( it shows mostly on the wilder, the capes, and the warior's torso) but it's minimal. Wich I suppose is appropriate for an OOts inspired style.

Anyway as far as OOts stick figures go, it looks pretty good as it is. Limb (arms particulary) seems just a tad shorts but I think it just me.

Doccit
2010-12-23, 01:29 PM
I thought shading within shapes (or rather, not seperating shades with a thick black line) was a big no no. Am I wrong? And yes, there is some on the wilden. At one point while drawing it I was trying to get some bark like shadeing on his face, but it didn't work out at all.

leakingpen
2010-12-27, 03:50 PM
i for one love shading with shapes, rather than lines between them. Or are you saying its a no no to be OOTS style?

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-27, 04:07 PM
Dang, what's with all the new pixies being so good at avataring?

That's a compliment, by the way.

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-27, 04:24 PM
Dang, what's with all the new pixies being so good at avataring?

That's a compliment, by the way.

I blame the water, and tutorials, and lurking without posting and Inkscape and free time, and the fact that it is actually fun to make avatars.

But mostly the water.

I thought shading within shapes (or rather, not seperating shades with a thick black line) was a big no no. Am I wrong? And yes, there is some on the wilden. At one point while drawing it I was trying to get some bark like shadeing on his face, but it didn't work out at all.

i for one love shading with shapes, rather than lines between them. Or are you saying its a no no to be OOTS style?

What is really OoTS style?

At first I thought it was like the OoTS comic, but then the complex drawings and use of different line thickness overruled that.

Later on I thought a lack of real 3d or perspective, but there are 2d perspective avatars, heck, I even made one recently.

Afterwards I saw the Shadowed avatars (with shapes) and thought that they looked both beautiful and still like OoTS art.

So after all this evolution, what is left?, is there an actual field for 3d Oots Style or more shapey... stuff liked the ones in the "Paper Dolls" thread, where can we draw the line?

So I am left with the question, what is really OoTS Style?

leakingpen
2010-12-27, 05:12 PM
Fleshed out stick figures. thats oots style, imo.

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-27, 06:04 PM
Fleshed out stick figures. thats oots style, imo.

But until what point.

I mean, we could have any point between two rectangles (body), three circles (head and eyes), four lines (arms and legs) and three parables (Hands and mouth). And using only 3 colors, (Grey for rectangles, pink/brown for head and black for eyes and hands and lines)

To a shaded character who happens to be flying on perspective, casting a translucent spell, and the line for his body and weapons are a darker tone of the color of the shape, not black lines. With gradient effects applied sparingly and possibly a set of wings, where each feather was independently vectored and shadowed. Who could effectively be using the Whole palette (YES, every single color of it).

What is considered OoTS Style, what is the aceptable level of OoTS Style and where would too much or too little be?, which are it's subschools, which schools do I have to drop to enter onto anothers, which one is divination, does Shading with the descriptor [Necromancy/whole unedged shapes] makes me evil.?

Maximum Zersk
2010-12-27, 06:48 PM
Honestly, early on, even Keychain of Creation could be considered OotS style. It's a stretch, but you could still consider it. Not anymore, mind.

licoot
2010-12-27, 06:59 PM
They're amazing for a first try, only one thing, some of the hair seems a bit strange might be worth making the corners smoother

super dark33
2010-12-28, 02:39 PM
Nice, make some moar!

Milo v3
2011-01-18, 05:40 AM
Those are great. :smallbiggrin:
Could you make some for my party?:smallwink: