PDA

View Full Version : Some Really Strange Error With Posting

Eldariel
2010-12-23, 04:38 PM
Ok, this was really strange:
I was writing a message into a random thread (I've been able to replicate this in other threads and previews so it's not relevant) containing a hyphen and I got the following error message for my troubles:
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4087/wtfitp.png

For whatever reason, this seems to occur whenever I try to use the hyphen and randomly otherwise, too. Few posts back I still did it no problem. For what it matters, I'm using an English edition Windows 7 Ultimate with Finnish keyboard settings. Any assistance?

arguskos
2010-12-23, 04:47 PM
I've seen that screen as well, on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.4.something using both Chrome and Firefox (most recent of both). Not sure why. I just refresh and it works fine.

Eldariel
2010-12-23, 04:51 PM
I've seen that screen as well, on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.4.something using both Chrome and Firefox (most recent of both). Not sure why. I just refresh and it works fine.

For me, it didn't disappear no matter what I did until I altered the contents of the message. Further, it occurred on both, Firefox and IE (*shudder* Don't think I'll get over having to try that any time soon). And when I was writing this message, apparently quotation marks decided to cause the same issue. I'm at my wits' end with this.

arguskos
2010-12-23, 04:53 PM
For me, it didn't disappear no matter what I did until I altered the contents of the message. Further, it occurred on both, Firefox and IE (*shudder* Don't think I'll get over having to try that any time soon). And when I was writing this message, apparently apostrophes decided to cause the same issue. I'm at my wits' end with this.
Seriously? I use large amounts of punctuation all the time (had a character in a PbP recently that used ABSURD amounts of apostrophes and whatnot), and rarely encounter the issue. :smallconfused:

Hmm. Not sure what it could be, then. Sorry I can't help more.

Eldariel
2010-12-23, 04:55 PM
Seriously? I use large amounts of punctuation all the time (had a character in a PbP recently that used ABSURD amounts of apostrophes and whatnot), and rarely encounter the issue. :smallconfused:

Hmm. Not sure what it could be, then. Sorry I can't help more.

Yeah, for me it appears to be a random, recent issue. One of my posts just few posts before this happened was absolutely riddled with hyphens with absolutely no issues. And it seems this post works just fine with hyphens or quotation marks. I'll just throw some out there to celebrate: -"- -"- -"-

But yeah, the inconsistency is what's throwing me off; it seems to happen consistently at the same...post slot or post count or whatever, but not consistently at all of them. I just can't find a pattern that makes sense to really figure this out.

lesser_minion
2010-12-23, 05:44 PM
A 403 error indicates that the server has refused to serve you -- the server doesn't have to give any reason for issuing the error, but it can be used for things like IP blacklists.

Here, it usually happens is because the server thinks that it's under attack -- if it sees a combination of characters in a post that could conceivably match up to certain commands, it assumes that you're trying to exploit it somehow.

The word 'lynx' followed by either a space or a colon is one of the most common things that sets it off, and I guess there might be others as well.

PirateMonk
2010-12-23, 06:14 PM
A 403 error indicates that the server has refused to serve you -- the server doesn't have to give any reason for issuing the error, but it can be used for things like IP blacklists.

Here, it usually happens is because the server thinks that it's under attack -- if it sees a combination of characters in a post that could conceivably match up to certain commands, it assumes that you're trying to exploit it somehow.

The word 'lynx' followed by either a space or a colon is one of the most common things that sets it off, and I guess there might be others as well.

This seems most likely. Also, I don't think "lynx:" sets it off. It's just when followed by a space.

Eldariel
2010-12-23, 06:26 PM
This seems most likely. Also, I don't think "lynx:" sets it off. It's just when followed by a space.

Ugh. That's going to make conversations regarding Lynx-companions in a game really awkward. Alright, thanks.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-23, 07:08 PM
Ugh. That's going to make conversations regarding Lynx-companions in a game really awkward. Alright, thanks.
While it doesn’t much reduce the work, using an empty formatting tag should allow the post to appear normal when needed.

“Send your lynx ahead for us.”

becomes

“Send your lynx ahead for us.”

No awkward phrasing required.

Rawhide
2010-12-25, 10:18 AM
Also, eliminate any double spaces. That will fix some other issues you may have. The end user web browser will not display double spaces anyway (and it's considered bad form to use two spaces with variable width fonts).