PDA

View Full Version : My new OOTS avatar

Aruius
2010-12-23, 06:35 PM
This is my first attempt at creating an avatar and my first time using Inkscape, and I can say that I'm very proud of it :smallbiggrin:!

It was inspired by yldenfrei's rendition of Lien, O-chul, and Hinjo over in the Iron Avatarist thread. Anyways, I'd like to know what you guys think of my efforts, and how I can improve. I'm also looking for how to eliminate the white space behind my avatar, I'm not quite sure how to do that yet. fixed.

Thank you in advance!

Lateral
2010-12-23, 06:41 PM
Arms are weird and facial expression could use work, but other than that it's cool. Make the arms less stubby.
Also, white backgrounds are bad. Either get rid of it, or give it a real background.

You know, there is an SMBG where you rate TPAY's avatar... just be warned; when you go into SMBG's, you may not come out. Especially if you enter the hellish, caffeine-filled abyss that is FFRP.

@V: Don't ask me how, I only critique avatars. I don't make 'em. Although I imagine, if Inkscape works even vaguely like I think it does, you could just do a fill on the background to make it go from white to not there. I think that's usually represented by a white-gray checkered pattern.

But I could be wrong, I don't know how to use Inkscape.

Aruius
2010-12-23, 06:48 PM
I don't exactly know how to remove the white background, that was one of the reasons I made this thread, because it looks terrible. And as for the facial expression and arms, I'll get to work on those and see what I can fix, thanks.

Edit: I made some quick changes, like lengthening his gimped arm and changing his expression some.

Savannah
2010-12-23, 07:26 PM
I don't know why you'd have the white background. I never do when I export an image from Inkscape (and I even just went and checked and I don't see an option to make the background transparent, so it should be transparent by default when you export....)

Are you doing anything besides exporting it from Inkscape and uploading it somewhere? Because I can't think what could be causing it if that's all you're doing :smallconfused:

Aruius
2010-12-23, 07:39 PM
I don't think so. The only thing I could think of that would be the fact that I didn't use layers, but I copied and pasted on a top layer and hid the bottom layer, and that didn't work.

I upload to photobucket, that might be the problem. I'm not sure if they make a white background by default.

Edit: Got it! I wasn't exporting by hitting the export button, I was just saving it and uploading it. This works much better. Thank you anyways!

Lateral
2010-12-23, 08:25 PM
Maybe move the shoulders down a bit. They make hir look hunched over.

Aruius
2010-12-23, 08:42 PM
Maybe move the shoulders down a bit. They make hir look hunched over.

I tried to fix it a little, hope that helps

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-23, 09:30 PM
This is your first try?

I must say, I am very impressed. It's better than several of mine :smallsmile:

Aruius
2010-12-23, 09:47 PM
This is your first try?

I must say, I am very impressed. It's better than several of mine :smallsmile:

Thank you :smallsmile: Yes, it is my first try, I spent the better part of today creating it while following a very nice tutorial. It didn't hurt that I've had fairly extensive experience with photoshop, and took a class a few years back that involved a little illustrator.

super dark33
2010-12-24, 05:17 AM
i like it, its looks good.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-24, 06:31 PM
Much better than my first avatar. The eyes are flipped around though, the larger one should be closer to the viewer.

Aruius
2010-12-24, 07:15 PM
Much better than my first avatar. The eyes are flipped around though, the larger one should be closer to the viewer.

Oh, really? Oops, I'll have to go back and fix that. Thanks!