PDA

View Full Version : I was about to eat my bread and then...

Salbazier
2010-12-25, 01:57 PM
Bread with honey. Not the proper choice for midnight snack but I was browsing all this stuff about honey and still have a bit of honey and two slice of bread left. So, I pour the honey into the bread and took a bite while I continue with my browsing. Then I flipped the bread and I saw its other surface was covered by bluish/greenish/purplish/whatever color all over :smallyuk: Luckily I haven't swallow that first bite yet.

Fri
2010-12-25, 02:00 PM
When did you buy it :smalltongue:

Don't they have expiration date? If they do, it's your own fault for not checking it.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-25, 02:12 PM
Are you....that's mold. Have you never seen it before?

Salbazier
2010-12-25, 02:13 PM
I bought it at Friday night. To be fair, The expiration date is at 25th, and no I didn't check it and unlikely for me to notice that this 26th already anyway since I usually count days from morning. Still, it only has passed by two hours before and its already full of weird colors.

If they means before 25th they should not still have it for sale it by 24th night.

Though, that does free them from any legal obligation, I admit.

Anyway, the bread wasn't even taste that good so I definitely not buying it again.

Are you....that's mold. Have you never seen it before?

I know that's mold. Just forgot the english word :smalltongue:

Actually, I once made experiment by purposely leaving an expired a half-loaf of bread to grow mold for a month. It made a quite interesting sight if you doesn't think of it as food.

Fri
2010-12-25, 02:23 PM
Actually, I once made experiment by purposely leaving an expired a half-loaf of bread to grow mold for a month. It made a quite interesting sight if you doesn't think of it as food.

Oh, I often do that... without any desire to experiment... >_>

Mattarias, King.
2010-12-25, 02:27 PM
Oh, I often do that... without any desire to experiment... >_>

<<; I think I'm doing that right now, myself. I believe I left a bag of bread up at my dorm for winter break. Whoops...

Salbazier
2010-12-25, 02:27 PM
Well, there is a good chance some mold is growing right now in my room somewhere among things that I neglect to clean up/throw out...

More than once, I left some sort of food in my bag for days or weeks, buried to the botteom by books and et cetera :(

Mattarias, King.
2010-12-25, 02:32 PM
Well, there is a good chance somemold growing in my room somewhere among things that I neglect to clean up/throw out...

More than once, I left some sort of food in my bag for days or weeks, buried to the botteom by books and et cetera :(

:smallsigh: Eeeww.. I hate when that happens. Though it fortunately hasn't happened too often for me..

Dr.Epic
2010-12-25, 02:35 PM
I had a similar experience with a hamburger bun. I say blue spots, but since that was the last bun I just picked off the blue bread from the rest of the bun and ate up.

Eldan
2010-12-25, 02:35 PM
You should watch out with those experiments, though. Some kinds of molds can have poisonous spores, so letting them lie around might be at least slightly unhealthy.

When I was little, we once bought a loaf of bread when on vacation in Greece. We cut it open and it was almost completely hollowed out and filled with ants.

Volthawk
2010-12-25, 02:38 PM
You should watch out with those experiments, though. Some kinds of molds can have poisonous spores, so letting them lie around might be at least slightly unhealthy.

When I was little, we once bought a loaf of bread when on vacation in Greece. We cut it open and it was almost completely hollowed out and filled with ants.

Is it weird that I find that pretty cool?

Dr.Epic
2010-12-25, 02:55 PM

Woah, if they were giant ants sent back in time that would be an M. Night Shyamalan twist.

Morph Bark
2010-12-25, 04:37 PM
The worst I've had was a mandarin orange being stuck inside my bag for over half a year without me noticing it was there (my bag is just that big, I often lost stuff in it). Then one day when I was cleaning it out, there it was! It was as hard as a tennis ball and pretty much had blackened all over.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-25, 06:35 PM
When I was about six I wanted to make a pizza. I noticed that the mozzarella cheese had turned blue. Since my dad's a big fan of blue cheese, we almost always have some in the fridge, and I thought that it became mozzarella blue cheese or something. So I put the fuzzy blue mozzarella cheese onto the pizza and baked it.

It tasted awful. I had no clue why until my mom came home and said, "Coffee, that's mold."

Cue nearly vomiting, and I've always had a very strong stomach. To this day I can't even stand the sight of blue cheese.

Snares
2010-12-25, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I opened a pot of pizza topping the other day and there was... really odd-looking white stuff growing on top of it. It didn't look like mold. It didn't look like anything. It looked like freaking alien eggs or something. It made me rather ill just looking at it.

I experimented on it FOR SCIENCE just threw it in the bin. Luckily we had another pot, which appeared to be normal. Even then I felt a bit uneasy using it, the stuff in the other pot looked that strange.

Runestar
2010-12-25, 08:15 PM
Reminds me of my friend. He was eating a sausage the other day when he saw this blue stuff inside. Threw away the entire thing in disgust almost immediately. :smallyuk:

Till now, we still have no idea what that was though. :smalltongue:

Mewtarthio
2010-12-25, 08:49 PM
I bought it at Friday night. To be fair, The expiration date is at 25th, and no I didn't check it and unlikely for me to notice that this 26th already anyway since I usually count days from morning. Still, it only has passed by two hours before and its already full of weird colors.

If they means before 25th they should not still have it for sale it by 24th night.

The expiration date is more of a "sell-by" date. Once you open the bread and start using it, its shelf life drops by quite a bit unless you keep it frozen.

Reminds me of my friend. He was eating a sausage the other day when he saw this blue stuff inside. Threw away the entire thing in disgust almost immediately. :smallyuk:

Till now, we still have no idea what that was though. :smalltongue:

It's sausage. That was probably supposed to be in there. :smalltongue:

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-25, 08:55 PM
I once found a months-old banana behind my toaster. It was completely black as one would expect, but it was also really small and dry. Who puts a banana behind a toaster anyway?

I once opened a jar of unexpired jelly only to discover there were maggots in it. I still don't know how they got in - the seal was still intact when I opened it.

Serpentine
2010-12-25, 09:41 PM
More than once, I left some sort of food in my bag for days or weeks, buried to the botteom by books and et cetera :(A friend of mine always carries around this ginormous hiking bag everywhere he goes, full of all sorts of crap. Once he acquired bags and bags of (not very nice, all dry and blech) oranges which he was slowly making his way through. He put some in his bag to have later.
Months pass...
He gives his bag its several-year cleaning out and finds... something at the bottom. It is only after much investigation and consideration that he determines that it's the remains of one or more forgotten oranges.

This guy's always been pretty gross, though. He hates to throw out or waste anything at all, and he's got a fatal combination of stingy miserliness and an extremely strong stomach. His standard fare for a long time was something he called "sprice" - a combination of rice, split peas (yellow, not green, because they had a higher nutrition-per-cent value), and one or more of the following: chicken stock, tomato sauce, tinned beetroot, onion, other stuff I don't know about. He once brought a bag full of black, slimy carrots to uni to serve as his lunch.
:yuk:

Trazoi
2010-12-25, 09:48 PM
Bread with honey. Not the proper choice for midnight snack but I was browsing all this stuff about honey and still have a bit of honey and two slice of bread left. So, I pour the honey into the bread and took a bite while I continue with my browsing. Then I flipped the bread and I saw its other surface was covered by bluish/greenish/purplish/whatever color all over :smallyuk: Luckily I haven't swallow that first bite yet.
That's happened to me multiple times. Usually I find out when reaching for my second piece of toast, wondering why the first tasted somewhat like compost. :smalltongue:

The worst mould related incident for me was when I left my unit to go overseas for two months. I cleaned out my fridge completely and unplugged it so it didn't waste any power. Turns out I forgot about that bag of frozen peas in the freezer...
(Although I've heard worse from people who have had similar things happen to them when the food item was meat. That gets real nasty).

KuReshtin
2010-12-25, 10:27 PM
We had a bit of a chat about this type of stuff earlier today, and one of the guys told a story about one of his colleagues who brought in some prawn salad or prawn sandwich or something in for her lunch one day.
She decided that she didn't like the taste, so she dumped it in her waste basket and forgot to empty it before she left the office for the weekend.
A bank holiday weekend.
In an office with automatic heating.

When people showed up after the weekend, the smell was apparently pretty overwhelming. And they couldn't figure out where the smell came from. So they had to suffer through it until they found the source and then discarded it.

Salbazier
2010-12-25, 10:41 PM
The expiration date is more of a "sell-by" date. Once you open the bread and start using it, its shelf life drops by quite a bit unless you keep it frozen.

With better brand from better store, it usually last more than two days and still don't have any mold when I throw it out.

Runestar
2010-12-25, 11:18 PM
On a side note, I once left a slice of white bread out in the open to observe how mold grows. After 2 weeks, still nothing. Which demonstrates just how much preservatives they are pumping into my bread these days. :smallannoyed:

I cleaned out my fridge completely and unplugged it so it didn't waste any power. Turns out I forgot about that bag of frozen peas in the freezer...
(Although I've heard worse from people who have had similar things happen to them when the food item was meat. That gets real nasty).

Similar thing happened to my colleague. Went overseas, and something happened which caused her fridge to switch off. Meat, ice-cream everything spoilt. Had to buy a new one because she just couldn't get the smell out. :smalleek:

THAC0
2010-12-25, 11:25 PM
The worst mould related incident for me was when I left my unit to go overseas for two months. I cleaned out my fridge completely and unplugged it so it didn't waste any power. Turns out I forgot about that bag of frozen peas in the freezer...

Even worse... Someone we knew was house-sitting for another guy who was away on temporary duty for a few weeks. Power went out at the guy's house, but the house sitter didn't know, only swung by every few days.

Mind you, this is Alaska, and the guy's freezer was full of halibut and salmon.

Apparently the poor house-sitter was in for a bit of a shock and a lot of cleaning the next time he swung by the house.

Serpentine
2010-12-25, 11:42 PM
My mum and stepdad went away for a couple of weeks when I was in high school. I was staying at home for the first week and then went to stay with a friend for the second. When my friend came to pick me up at the end of the first week, I told her to just "turn everything off". She did.
Everything.
That was a couple of hundred dollars worth of meat wasted...

Cealocanth
2010-12-25, 11:58 PM
Being an SCAer, I go camping an awful lot. As most people are aware, a dry climate is not a mold friendly one, which is exactly the case here in Colorado. So here's the story.

Readying for a trip to Lilly's War, an event that takes place in Missouri, which, evidently, is not Colorado nor is it as dry as Colorado, I packed an abundance of food, mostly in ingredient form. I was preparing to bake bread for a feast that was being held so I packed the flour, honey, eggs, etc. At the last minute I thought that it would be a good idea to bring homemade butter too. So I thought, What the hell, and shook up a bunch of whole milk in a jar till it turned to butter and packed that too, jar and all.

The event was a week long, and the bread turned out to be a hit, as it disappeared quickly. I completely forgot about the butter, though. We drove back with the little food we had left, not bothering to open the cooler till we got back, and voila! The water had turned a strange blue color. Apparently, the butter spoiled and released gas, opening the lid and spilling it all into the water. On the undersides of the bags that had butter on them, there were alien fungus stalks actually reaching out from the bag. It wasn't the nicest thought to think that all our food for the week was sitting in a pool of butter mold.

And that, is probably the most disgusting thing mold has ever done with me.

DrizztFan24
2010-12-26, 01:12 AM
I once had a classmate (highschool) that forgot a sandwhich in his locker for the whole year...he brought it during the first month and didnt find it until the last day of school. The sandwhich had been reduced to a bag of blue green goo. No bread...no meat...just blue soup....mix these two smiley colors and its something close to it.:smallconfused::smallwink:

Fri
2010-12-26, 02:13 AM
In my place, there are two kind of bread. Bread that can stay unreferigerated for a week or so, and bread that can only stand for three or at most four days (even less if you don't keep it in a tight container).

Nowadays I can't stand the preservative-added bread. Somehow in my college days I evolved the ability to taste preservatives, and those bread with preservatives tastes bitterish to me. Too bad, because as a careless college student, breads that can stay longer than two or three days are godsend..

Amiel
2010-12-26, 06:09 AM
Mold is just another type of fruit; different perhaps but essentially a source of proteins (but consumption may require an acid-rich stomach :smalltongue:

Asians generally freeze their bread, for purposes of extending its lifespan, but this generally doesn't kill the growth of fungi, merely halting it.

Quincunx
2010-12-26, 08:47 AM
On a side note, I once left a slice of white bread out in the open to observe how mold grows. After 2 weeks, still nothing. Which demonstrates just how much preservatives they are pumping into my bread these days. :smallannoyed:. . .

Same thing happened to me. . .with a home-made loaf, on this humid isle. Don't be so quick to blame the preservatives if the environment is sterile enough. I lug out the bleach and boiling water if I find mold in my foodstuff, as it gives me headaches and I hate that. (That may be dirt on the corners of my kitchen floor, but by gods, it's clean dirt. :smalltongue:)

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-26, 03:26 PM
Just today I went to make a sandwich, and decided for some odd reason to check to expiration date on the mayonnaise. April 22nd, 2010. :smallyuk:

Eldan
2010-12-26, 04:08 PM
Honestly, if it's still good, screw the date. It's a worst estimate, basically. The store playing it safe.

RandomNPC
2010-12-26, 07:19 PM
some experation dates are actually "You should find it in the back of the cubbord completely unidentifiable at this time" where other experation dates are "Start checking it now but it should go a few more weeks"

There's no safe way to tell without proper checking, but I think it's a right of adulthood to find your own way to deal with mold.

Amiel
2010-12-26, 08:38 PM
Sometimes, certain companies print a made-by date right next to the use-by date just to fool with perceptions.

Salbazier
2010-12-26, 09:59 PM
Yeah, some brand/store do better to their customers than others.

BTW, I'm Asian and I don't think I've ever freeze my bread.

enigmatime
2010-12-26, 10:26 PM
This should be relevent... (http://xkcd.com/737/)

My worst experience with mold... Oh! Probably when I was about to eat a sandwich that I had made the day prior (I was going camping so I didn't have time to make a sandwich that day), but when I went to eat it, I noticed green and blue specks on the bread. I opened it up... OH MY GOODNESS!!! MOLD EVERYWHERE! On the meat, the tomatoes, the cheese, the bread, the mayo, the... EVERYTHING! I went to check the ingredients in the fridge. I saw the most horrid sight. All of the ingredients (and a few other contents of the fridge) were covered in mold. We had to throw everything out and get a new fridge... Blech, we needed a new fridge anyway... Still, it was pretty terrifying considering I was about twelve and thought I would be blamed.

I'm not saying it was alot of mold, just enough for it to render all of the contents of the fridge unedible and the fridge unusable. Turns out, the mold was started by the fruits and the yogurt (mostly the yogurt, there was, like, three opened ones). :smallyuk:

Serpentine
2010-12-26, 10:37 PM
BTW, I'm Asian and I don't think I've ever freeze my bread.You're South-East Asian, that doesn't count :tongue:

The_Admiral
2010-12-26, 10:43 PM
Mold is just another type of fruit; different perhaps but essentially a source of proteins (but consumption may require an acid-rich stomach :smalltongue:

Asians generally freeze their bread, for purposes of extending its lifespan, but this generally doesn't kill the growth of fungi, merely halting it.

I dont but my family goes through a loaf every 2 days

2xMachina
2010-12-28, 10:47 AM
I once opened a jar of unexpired jelly only to discover there were maggots in it. I still don't know how they got in - the seal was still intact when I opened it.

Maybe they were already in there?

I once opened a sealed bottle of ketchup (ought to be air tight), and there were maggots in it.

Morph Bark
2010-12-29, 09:27 AM
Just today I went to make a sandwich, and decided for some odd reason to check to expiration date on the mayonnaise. April 22nd, 2010. :smallyuk:

I've had mayonaise that was 10 years old.

...my grandmother only buys mayonaise and the like for when we come over.

DwarvenExodus
2010-12-29, 11:13 AM
I help with the theatre tech department at a school, and we have a very hot and stuffy gallery. One of the other techies happens to love coffee, and we have a two month break. You see where this is going.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-29, 03:08 PM
Yesterday I got a haul of free food, and it included some kind of apple fruit cup thing that expired in 2003. :smalleek:

There were a lot of other expired foods too, but nothing else was quite that bad.

Illven
2010-12-29, 03:12 PM
Yesterday I got a haul of free food, and it included some kind of apple fruit cup thing that expired in 2003. :smalleek:

There were a lot of other expired foods too, but nothing else was quite that bad.

Well now you know why it was free

Muz
2010-12-29, 05:55 PM
A long while back, living alone, I made a big pot of beef stew to subsist on for a week or two. It sat in the stew pot at the bottom of the fridge from which I served up a bowl each night for dinner, but after the 4th or 5th night, I'd gotten sick of stew. The pot continued to sit...and sit. I made other things for dinner, intending to eat more stew but never really getting around to it. After a while, I figured it was no longer good and I should dispose of it, but every time I thought "I should throw that out" I was in the middle of doing something else.

Weeks passed...

Now I was eyeing the pot with its heavy metal lid and thinking, "Okay, it's probably gotten nasty in there. Disposal isn't going to be pleasant. I really should do it before it gets worse, I guess. ...But not right now." I even opened the lid to look, and sure enough things had turned...blue.

Months passed...

The pot now had a Somebody Else's Problem field around it.

More months passed...

A year later (give or take), I finally decided I really, really, really needed to deal with that stew. I took it out of the fridge, got ready to dump the contents into a plastic bag and take that to the dumpster. I braced myself for the stench, even covered my face with an old t-shirt, and pondered how difficult and disgusting it might be to even CLEAN the pot at this point.

I never opened the pot. I chickened out. I figured that I'd got along without that pot for this long, so clearly it wasn't a vital kitchen accessory for me. 5 minutes later, the entire pot, still filled with the once-stew, sat in my building's dumpster, duct-tapped closed (the pot, not the dumpster) so the surely intelligent creature inside could not get out and, blob-like, absorb the neighborhood.

...What? :smallredface:

Salbazier
2010-12-29, 10:02 PM
A long while back, living alone, I made a big pot of beef stew to subsist on for a week or two. It sat in the stew pot at the bottom of the fridge from which I served up a bowl each night for dinner, but after the 4th or 5th night, I'd gotten sick of stew. The pot continued to sit...and sit. I made other things for dinner, intending to eat more stew but never really getting around to it. After a while, I figured it was no longer good and I should dispose of it, but every time I thought "I should throw that out" I was in the middle of doing something else.

Weeks passed...

Now I was eyeing the pot with its heavy metal lid and thinking, "Okay, it's probably gotten nasty in there. Disposal isn't going to be pleasant. I really should do it before it gets worse, I guess. ...But not right now." I even opened the lid to look, and sure enough things had turned...blue.

Months passed...

The pot now had a Somebody Else's Problem field around it.

More months passed...

A year later (give or take), I finally decided I really, really, really needed to deal with that stew. I took it out of the fridge, got ready to dump the contents into a plastic bag and take that to the dumpster. I braced myself for the stench, even covered my face with an old t-shirt, and pondered how difficult and disgusting it might be to even CLEAN the pot at this point.

I never opened the pot. I chickened out. I figured that I'd got along without that pot for this long, so clearly it wasn't a vital kitchen accessory for me. 5 minutes later, the entire pot, still filled with the once-stew, sat in my building's dumpster, duct-tapped closed (the pot, not the dumpster) so the surely intelligent creature inside could not get out and, blob-like, absorb the neighborhood.

...What? :smallredface:

Wonder what they did with the pot.

I guess I better clean my dishes...

Fri
2010-12-30, 01:36 PM
I remember something in that line now. Me and my brother are college students, and one day my mother visited me and my brother and gave us a ton of my favourite meat dish, intended it to be split between us. But my brother doesn't really like that dish that much, and gave his to me.

Since it's my favourite dish, I rationed it, rationalizing that it's a spicy dish that can last for a long time. I managed to finish my half when I realized that the other half which I put in another place had started to mold.

I somehow simply can't throw it away, since it's my favourite dish or something, and there's really still a LOT of them. So it sat in my shelf for months and months, and it indeed developed a SEP field.

So one day my mother was going to visit again, and I throw it away with the container, not in our trashcan but in a dump, without ever looking inside

Muz
2010-12-30, 04:12 PM

I think it was picked up by Weyland-Yutani's bioweapons division.

:smallwink:

Runestar
2010-12-30, 09:23 PM

it's just as well he didn't open it. I was watching this show yesterday about a troubled family, and they had this pot which hadn't been cleared out in days. The cover was transparent and you could just see maggots crawling about inside. :smallyuk:

Muz
2011-01-03, 06:10 PM
it's just as well he didn't open it. I was watching this show yesterday about a troubled family, and they had this pot which hadn't been cleared out in days. The cover was transparent and you could just see maggots crawling about inside. :smallyuk:

Which leads to the disturbing question of how the flies got into the covered pot to lay the maggot eggs in the first place... :smalleek:

Aystra
2011-01-03, 09:55 PM
During lunchtime one day I didn't feel like finishing my sandwich and stuffed the leftover bit in my backpack for afterschool (it was in a plastic bag). I forgot about it. The next day I did the same thing and shoved another half-eaten sandwich into my backpack. And forgot about it. This continued for another day or so.

The next week, my friend was crying and I reached into my backpack for a tissue pack to comfort him (tissues generally make someone feel better I've found). I felt a plastic bag and pulled out, much to my surprise, a moldy...thing. I quickly threw it away and hastened to find a tissue pack again, only to find the other moldy sandwiches. It freaked me out because it didn't even look like a sandwich. Took me a while to remember what I had done the previous week. Good thing was that my friend stopped crying to laugh at me so I guess my goal of cheering him up worked.

Salbazier
2011-01-03, 10:33 PM
During lunchtime one day I didn't feel like finishing my sandwich and stuffed the leftover bit in my backpack for afterschool (it was in a plastic bag). I forgot about it. The next day I did the same thing and shoved another half-eaten sandwich into my backpack. And forgot about it. This continued for another day or so.

The next week, my friend was crying and I reached into my backpack for a tissue pack to comfort him (tissues generally make someone feel better I've found). I felt a plastic bag and pulled out, much to my surprise, a moldy...thing. I quickly threw it away and hastened to find a tissue pack again, only to find the other moldy sandwiches. It freaked me out because it didn't even look like a sandwich. Took me a while to remember what I had done the previous week. Good thing was that my friend stopped crying to laugh at me so I guess my goal of cheering him up worked.

Nice way of cheering up. :smallbiggrin: So what it's look like? :smalltongue:

Aystra
2011-01-03, 10:46 PM
Nice way of cheering up. :smallbiggrin: So what it's look like? :smalltongue:

Well... I guess they did look like a sandwiches upon closer inspection but they were squashed into funny shapes due to my heavy binders and covered in patches of teal mold. Also I was throwing them away as fast as possible and didn't get a chance to really look at them until the 3rd or 4th one. :smalltongue:

Winthur
2011-01-07, 12:47 AM
So, have you ever put an apple in your backpack for a school trip that happened just at the end of the school year, came back without eating the apple, tossed the backpack away into the corner, and forgot to open it until the two months of holidays ended? :smalltongue: :smalleek:

(The effect looked nasty, kind of like the final boss of Contra after being blown up.)

Cespenar
2011-01-07, 03:09 AM
Is it worse than the apple in Fallout? :smalltongue:

Ohmyani
2011-01-07, 01:07 PM
Worst I've done is half-finish an apple, then put it in my lunchbag for later. I then forgot it in the library, over the long weekend. I looked all over for it, and then eventually found it, and looked inside...

the apple was shriveled, seemed to be melting somehow, and the bag was covered with streaks of blue-green mold. I just threw out the bag. :smallyuk:

For some reason, I have almost a phobia of mold... if food has mold on it, WOOP, into the garbage it goes! Annoys my mom actually, because I sometimes throw out packs of bread that I think are moldy, because the bread we eat often has flour on it. She eventually convinced me that that flour doesn't grow, and therefore is safe to eat. :smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-01-07, 04:20 PM
i once grew mold in kindergarten
but what happened to you is just gross

Abies
2011-01-07, 04:36 PM
We had a bit of a chat about this type of stuff earlier today, and one of the guys told a story about one of his colleagues who brought in some prawn salad or prawn sandwich or something in for her lunch one day.
She decided that she didn't like the taste, so she dumped it in her waste basket and forgot to empty it before she left the office for the weekend.
A bank holiday weekend.
In an office with automatic heating.

When people showed up after the weekend, the smell was apparently pretty overwhelming. And they couldn't figure out where the smell came from. So they had to suffer through it until they found the source and then discarded it.

This reminds me of a similar story at my office, though not food related.

Our office building has a large central atrium with a large fountain system (several pools connected by small "streams"). IN this fountain we used to have coy and other fish. One weekend they were apparently doing some sort of maintenence on the system and it needed to be drained. Apparently no one thought of what to do with the fish while this was going on, so the maintenence guys just tossed them (10-20 ~24" long fish) into 3-4 5 gallon buckets. There the fish stayed over the long weekend (Friday to Monday). We did not have automated AC when the building was "empty" and that weekend temperatures outside were around 90F. When we came in Tuesday, the smell of rotting fish was quite overpowering throught the building. It lingered for several days.

They did not replace the fish.

Salbazier
2011-01-12, 12:38 PM
I forgot to clean up my rice-cooker (which I sort of misuse to cook instant noodle)... and now I'm afraid to even open it up...

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-12, 10:46 PM
This is why I love Vegemite, you can buy a HUGE jar, have in the back of the pantry for YEARS and it NEVER goes off.

Crumpets only last a few days though. :smallfrown:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-12, 10:56 PM
This is why I love Vegemite, you can buy a HUGE jar, have in the back of the pantry for YEARS and it NEVER goes off

Not true. It DOES go off, you just can't tell the difference.

enigmatime
2011-01-13, 09:21 AM
This is why I love Vegemite, you can buy a HUGE jar, have in the back of the pantry for YEARS and it NEVER goes off.

Crumpets only last a few days though. :smallfrown:

Oh my god, the first time I heard about Vegemite, I stayed up all night watching kids' shows. It was in a story about something (a muskrat, maybe vermin) that turned invisible and in order to turn visible it needed to eat some stuff and Vegemite was one of the things.

Sorta like Twinkies?

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-13, 06:07 PM
No, no way. Vegemite is actually good for you. Terrific for a hangover and when you are feeling under the weather.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-13, 07:22 PM
I don't know about Vegemite. I never had it but my brother tasted some and immediately vomited. So yeah I probably won't be trying it any time soon.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-13, 08:48 PM
You need to be raised on it to like it. :smallbiggrin:

BiblioRook
2011-01-16, 02:11 AM
Yeah, Vegemite definitely is an acquired taste. Still preferred it to Marmite though, that stuff had the consistency of molasses, I had no clue how to even spread it.

Ugh, also I don't really advise anyone to read a tread about mold while eating durian mochi...:smalleek:

Thrawn183
2011-01-16, 03:12 AM
I'm eating moldy stuff right now. Most people call it cheese.

Asta Kask
2011-01-16, 06:47 AM
Offering vegemite to prisoners should be deemed torture under the Geneva convention.

Pickled herring, on the other hand, is delicious.

Amiel
2011-01-16, 06:52 AM
The secret to vegemite consumption and enjoyment is smearing just a thin coat of the stuff upon bread.
Australians give huge dollops of vegemite to unsuspecting tourists.

Moonshadow
2011-01-16, 06:57 AM
Oh my god, the first time I heard about Vegemite, I stayed up all night watching kids' shows. It was in a story about something (a muskrat, maybe vermin) that turned invisible and in order to turn visible it needed to eat some stuff and Vegemite was one of the things.

Sorta like Twinkies?

That would be Possum Magic, which is a famous childrens books. It's debatable as to whether they're vermin though... :P

The secret to vegemite consumption and enjoyment is smearing just a thin coat of the stuff upon bread.
Australians give huge dollops of vegemite to unsuspecting tourists.

Pffffft. The only way to eat it is with butter, then a thick layer of vegemite, and then cheese, bitey cheese if possible.

...I'm making myself hungryyyyyyyyy.

Amiel
2011-01-16, 06:59 AM
That would be Possum Magic, which is a famous childrens books. It's debatable as to whether they're vermin though... :P

They're all vermin :smalltongue:

Pffffft. The only way to eat it is with butter, then a thick layer of vegemite, and then cheese, bitey cheese if possible.

Or eat it straight out of a jar.
With a spoon.

...I'm making myself hungryyyyyyyyy.

Vegemite time? :P

Serpentine
2011-01-16, 07:06 AM
Oh my god, the first time I heard about Vegemite, I stayed up all night watching kids' shows. It was in a story about something (a muskrat, maybe vermin) that turned invisible and in order to turn visible it needed to eat some stuff and Vegemite was one of the things.Nuh-uh! It's-
That would be Possum Magic, which is a famous childrens books. It's debatable as to whether they're vermin though... :PAw, beat me to it :smallfrown:
Possums aren't vermin, certainly not muskrats :smallannoyed: (unless you're in New Zealand...)
Possum Magic:
http://www.pukekobooks.com.au/Catalougue_files/Possum%20Magic.jpg
Totally adorable possums which are about 10,000 times better than an opossum:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uQE8jP2fC2A/TNWXgW28aAI/AAAAAAAABAA/U6iHmSwgAXw/s1600/Pseudocheirus+peregrinus.jpg
http://www.alldeaf.com/members/sirena-rossa-albums-i3-picture2795-sugar-glider-voplaning-047950-w-moon.jpg
http://www.itsnature.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/706229.jpg
I don't know about Vegemite. I never had it but my brother tasted some and immediately vomited. So yeah I probably won't be trying it any time soon.Then he probably ate it wrong - I'm guessing a teaspoonful or somesuch? As mentioned, the best way to try it - at least for the first time - is on a piece of buttered toast, spread EXTREMELY thin, so thin you can see the bread underneath it.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-16, 04:39 PM
I love Possum Magic, still have the book somewhere. Poor Hush!

RebelRogue
2011-01-16, 06:42 PM
Not true. It DOES go off, you just can't tell the difference.
Sort of like the shrimp paste I remember a friend had; according to him, you can't really tell if it's gone bad or not, 'cause it smells the same either way :smalleek:

It actually tasted just fine when used in dishes, BTW.

enigmatime
2011-01-30, 04:07 PM
I love Possum Magic, still have the book somewhere. Poor Hush!

I think my library might have a copy in the Children's Section. However, I should check later, I have to finish a powerpoint for school.

Cheese... Among one of the tastiest molds. :smallbiggrin:

Lhurgyof
2011-01-30, 07:24 PM
That's happened to me multiple times. Usually I find out when reaching for my second piece of toast, wondering why the first tasted somewhat like compost. :smalltongue:

Heh, I usually catch it but sometimes I'm a bite in. And oh god, is that horrible.

Skeppio
2011-01-30, 08:04 PM
Possum Magic:
http://www.pukekobooks.com.au/Catalougue_files/Possum%20Magic.jpg

Australia: So deadly that even our least threatening wildlife has Wizard levels. :smallcool:

Serpentine
2011-01-31, 06:45 AM
Dammit. Now I want to play an Awakened mothering possum Wizard >.<

Trazoi
2011-01-31, 06:56 AM
And preferably toasted. Cheese and Vegemite jaffles are one of the best things.

Kris Strife
2011-01-31, 07:33 AM

That honestly sounds like it'd be a local delicacy somewhere. :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2011-01-31, 07:53 AM
There is a cheese full of maggots.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-31, 10:41 AM
There is a cheese full of maggots.

And one full of jumping insects that requires goggles to protect your eyes while eating.

Can we go back to the mould talk? This is getting too cheesy. :smalltongue:

Lhurgyof
2011-01-31, 10:47 AM
And one full of jumping insects that requires goggles to protect your eyes while eating.

Can we go back to the mould talk? This is getting too cheesy. :smalltongue:

What's it called?

And okay, back to mold. Have you heard about the mold that kills ants from the inside out?

Serpentine
2011-01-31, 10:48 AM
Actually... Just as an aside:
Dammit. Now I want to play an Awakened mothering possum Wizard >.<That's not the only place that applies.
Wuvs if you know the other. Same species an' all, from the look of it, too.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-31, 11:30 AM
What's it called?

And okay, back to mold. Have you heard about the mold that kills ants from the inside out?

Casu Marzu, I think.

That's a mold?

I thought mold was fungi that grew on rotting stuff.

The ant one (on which the Pokémon Paras and Parasect are based, evolving Paras kills it. :smallfrown:) grows in still living ants.

It's creepy.