PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 style Force User

Ralasha
2010-12-26, 12:32 PM
This is an attempt at converting a Force Using class into a D&D friendly form, and style. The first step, is to determine its base statistics. The second step is to figure out how to allow it to perform 'force' functions within the D&D mechanics.

First of all, there is already a class very similar to a Jedi in D&D, it's called a Psionic Warrior. We will use that as a base. Psionic Powers don't jive really well however. So lets limit them a bit, lets say they gain one ability per level.

Next, the force actually has a limited number of abilities. TK, TP, PC: Telekinesis, Telepathy, and Precognition. They also have a more limited ability at Omniscience.

All of a Jedi's abilities can fall into these categories, and their various subcategories. Electricity for the lightning in example, would fall under TK. Since Telekinesis is the manipulation or movement of matter. The lightning effect would be performed through the excitement and direction of electrons.

But, lets start with basics. Precognition, and Omniscience. So, their PP starts at 0. Jedi should really have a good BAB since they are trained at combat from a very young age. Non-chaotic, and non-evil alignment as a necessity. Evil is too selfish, and chaotic persons do not generally get along very well with the discipline required to learn to do these things.

We will give them a number of points with which to use their powers, but that comes in a little while. They won't be a real caster. More of a quasi-Psion Warrior Monk with a sword/unarmed.

Next is the question of HP. Well, with being able to do so much else, lets say they get a D8, they have moderate combat training, enough to make them good warriors, but not enough to have hardened them completely. Next question is their Saves. Good Will. That is my thought on that, since they have given over so much of their lives to the training in order to use this one specific power-group. Which requires a lot of discipline, study, and training. Their wills will be powerful, it is after all, exactly what they use in order to invoke these abilities, along with their understanding of the forces with which they work. We could give them all good saves, but we will get back to this subject later, during review and revision. In the meantime, I'm going to go eat.

Nero24200
2010-12-26, 05:24 PM
Given that Jedi never seem to run out of steam (at least in the movies, though I haven't seen/played anything else star wars related) and a limited number of abilities I think some sort of psionic warlock might be right up the classes ally.

arguskos
2010-12-26, 08:26 PM
There's already been an excellent and highly enjoyable "Jedi"-ish class made on the forum, the Force Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92407). Don't post in the thread, due to Necromancy rules, but if you're interested in force users in 3.5, it's definitely a good place to start. :smallsmile:

Ralasha
2010-12-27, 03:00 AM
The Force adept, while excellent, unfortunately runs a completely different path from that which I had envisioned. A friend put me onto the Shadow mage from Tome of Magic today during dinner, and suggested that perhaps I should look into that classes succession as a guide. I have since looked, and am taking it under heavy advisement. The character will have all good saves, either D8 or D6 HP. Will have minor, intermediate, and master level abilities to choose from.

The selection of said abilities will decide which intermediate or master abilities said character will behave available to choose from.

umbrapolaris
2010-12-27, 12:38 PM
i had the same idea than you, i originally used the Psychic warrior as a chassis, but finally i vampirized and adapted the classes and mechanics of Star war Saga rulebooks. (d20 future style)

Ralasha
2010-12-27, 01:37 PM
I have it almost entirely fleshed out.
Full BAB
D6 HD
level 1: 2 initiate level abilities
level 2: 3 initiate level abilities
level 3: 3 initiate level abilities, 1 intermediate ability
level 4: 4 initiate level abilities, 1 intermediate ability
level 5: 5 initiate level abilities, 1 intermediate ability
level 6: 5 initiate level abilities, 2 intermediate abilities
level 7: 5 initiate level abilities, 2 intermediate abilities, 1 master level ability
(etc)

each initiate or higher level ability has prerequisite abilities. Each initiate ability requires 1 point spent to be used, each intermediate ability requires 2, each master level ability requires 3. if you focused on specific abilities you could get the ability to hurl lightning, or throw someone around, or open a lock, fight with a weapon from a distance, etc.

Most intermediate abilities have 3 prerequisites. Master level abilities have 2 intermediate prerequisites. Each intermediate, and master level ability also modifies what you can do with initiate level abilities.

Most of the abilities used in the Star Wars movies are initiate, or intermediate level. Vader, Yoda, and the Emperor are the only 3 that use master level abilities. Lightning, hurling multiple objects, lifting extremely heavy objects.

In episodes 1, 2, and 3:
Yoda catches the lightning: master level.
Qui-Gon moves the cubes with fine control: initiate with intermediate modifier.
Duku fires lightning: master.
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon accelerate: initiate.
Anakin does the awesome Jump: intermediate
Mind Trick: Intermediate
knocking people over: initiate with intermediate modifier.
etc.

In the games:
Force unleashed: He performs most of his force powers at master level. Destroying architecture, using people as shields while simultaneously strangling them.
KoTOR: Force Kill: Master Level
Force Wave: Master Level
Force Storm: Master level with modifiers. (Each modifier used costs 1)