PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Knight Gestalt: Swordsage or Warblade?

golem1972
2010-12-27, 06:36 PM
Looking at making a ToB Gestalt character (5th level).

One side will be Crusader / Ur-Priest / RKV.
The other side is where I'm not sure. Swordsage, or Warblade?

I will eventually be able to wear mithril fullplate as light armor, so swordsages skills / sneakiness won't be harmed. On the other hand, warblade does offer a lot.

Any opinions?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-27, 06:49 PM
I would go with swordsage personally, to me skills are much more important, besides you (almost) full bab from Crusader and RKV.

And you also get Wis to AC, much more manoeuvres known, plus access to all schools save for Iron Heart, some miscellaneous abilities (I really like quick to act)

Godskook
2010-12-27, 08:23 PM
Personally, I wouldn't stick with either class.

Consider Totemist, Incarnate, Ardent or Factotum, for classes that'll add a lot more in a way that more readily stacks with what you've already got(inertial armor > mage armor)

Draz74
2010-12-28, 12:31 AM
Agreed with Godskook, if I'm going for optimization I'd dip a few spread-out levels in Swordsage, but mostly go with a class that offers passive benefits. More maneuvers don't do you much good if you already don't have enough actions to use the maneuvers you already have.

Stance of Alacrity is amazing for a build like this, though (use a Counter, then still have a swift action on your turn). Might be worth picking up via Martial Stance feat.

Feat Variant Rogue is another option, in addition to the classes Godskook suggested.

Warblade ... usually I love it, but in this case all I could see is a one-level dip, mostly for Iron Heart Surge.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-28, 12:48 AM
FYI: dual progression Prestige Classes like the Ruby Knight are prohibited by the UA Gestalt rules

however, if your DM is fine with it then I would go Swordsage. You'll get more skill points and be able to make good use of your high wisdom modifier which you'll need as an Ur-Priest.

golem1972
2010-12-29, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

We allow dual progression PrCs if the entire build fits into one side. (IE: Fighter // Cleric / Wizard / Mystic Theurge is ok, while Cleric // Wizard / Mystic Theurge is not.)

Another player will be playing a Knight // RKV, so I'm going with a Dragonfire Adept // Mailman Sorcerer instead. DfA doesn't do a lot for me, but it does up my HP, Fort save, and free up a couple of spells known (invisibility, see invisibility). I will also eventually get the Five Fold Breath, which is wicked cool.

Tokuhara
2010-12-29, 04:34 PM
Personally, I'd go with your RKV build and Incarnate/Necrocarnate. You are pure unbridled evil

Godskook
2010-12-29, 04:41 PM
We allow dual progression PrCs if the entire build fits into one side. (IE: Fighter // Cleric / Wizard / Mystic Theurge is ok, while Cleric // Wizard / Mystic Theurge is not.)

+1, and more sane than the RAW in the UA, which should be houseruled regardless(Anything that bans daggerspell mage while allowing archmage is a dumb rule).