PDA

View Full Version : The Avatarist Memorial Thread

Serpentine
2010-12-28, 04:57 AM
Before the discussion takes over the Iron Avatarist thread, I thought I'd move it over here.
So, this is a place to lament the passing of notable avatarists, reminisce on their talents, share your favourite pieces, appreciate current avatarists while you can... That sort of thing.

To start us off, I guess... DR BATH, SNEAK AND MR SATURN I MISS YOU! D=

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-28, 08:55 AM
I suppose some are more like vampires, coming back to life when you least expect it*, than ordinary dead.

I'm still "following" Holammers photobucket-albums, and will probably get an heart-attack if it gets updated.

And until recently I thought that Qwernt was properly buried, but lo my surprise when he arose like a glorious zombie a while back.

*Springing nasty surprises for eventual competitors and to the general approval of the audience.

Oblivion
2010-12-28, 01:57 PM
On top of the ones already mentioned, I really miss Ink (who created my avatar). He was one heck of an avatarist!

I unfortunately can't remember his name right now, but there was an avatarist that used to do shaded avatars that looked doll-like (because he used to put stitches on their body). He was quite something to! Any old timer remembers who I am talking about?

Haruki-kun
2010-12-28, 02:16 PM
Miss Nobody. Lady hasn't posted in over a year. She made a lot of really cool avatars.

Made one for Lord Magtok in Demon Week.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/Lilith_986/Mag.png

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-28, 04:19 PM
I remember seeing some awsome shaded avatars when I was still lurking instead of posting. Nowadays shaders seems to have been drastically reduced in numbers.
Does anyone knows a great shader from whom I may "draw inspiration"

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-28, 04:21 PM
I would suggest Mad Mask. He dosen't use oots style much anymore, though.

licoot
2010-12-28, 05:02 PM
To be honest a lot of those avatarists are still kinda here, but on the not of currant avatarists that need appreciation, half of them have already posted on this thread: Serpentine, Crimson angel, Oblivion, Elder Tsofu :smallbiggrin:

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-28, 05:52 PM
As long as I ain't counted into "the passed" everything is fine! :smallwink:

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-28, 07:31 PM
Hurray for me name being mentioned.

Although, I can't remember the last avatar I made for somebody who isn't me...

Serpentine
2010-12-29, 12:29 AM
On top of the ones already mentioned, I really miss Ink (who created my avatar). He was one heck of an avatarist!Yess! He (she?) was great! What happened to them? :smallfrown:
Y'know, I'd really like to know what the Giant thinks about all this avataring... Does it bug him? Does he like them? Does he have a favourite avatarist? That sort of thing.

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-29, 01:36 AM
From what I've seen of his early posts he liked it, he even put up a special page with the fan-art.

Oblivion
2010-12-29, 12:12 PM
I unfortunately can't remember his name right now, but there was an avatarist that used to do shaded avatars that looked doll-like (because he used to put stitches on their body). He was quite something to! Any old timer remembers who I am talking about?

Found him (even if I had to go through the whole Hall of Fame to find him): Nemglan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=1720)!

While going through the Hall of Fame, I also got some memories brought back about Ceika (she was quite something), Ego Slayer (how have her name not been mentioned yet?), Djinn-In-Tonic (who had his own quirky style), and Abardam (with his monster story thing post and his OotS flash game that were quite impressive)!

To be honest a lot of those avatarists are still kinda here, but on the not of currant avatarists that need appreciation, half of them have already posted on this thread: Serpentine, Crimson angel, Oblivion, Elder Tsofu :smallbiggrin:

Me? :smalleek: :smallredface:

P.S.: Serpentine, most of my avatars I entered in IAs and some of yours are not showing anymore in the Hall of Fame. FYI. :smallsmile:

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-29, 12:18 PM
I just now noticed the braids on your character. :smalleek:

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-29, 03:17 PM
Found this thread which apparently ended up working as this one, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2105177#post2105177
I can't recognize one third of all the avatarist mentioned there. And the ones you are mentioning now seem to also have been mentioned in the past. I guess the REALLY awesome ones never are really forgotten ... or really leave.

I wonder what direction avataring will take in the next three years?

I mean, back in 2007 there was shading, what is next, shading reached its pinnacle with Mad Mask IMHO. We have the new avatarists using a darker than the color of the shape but not black outline technique and some using a simpler approach. Someone probably should make a gallery of all the different styles of Avatar making with some examples, so the (I included) newcomers can find out what was it like before. Kinda like a Museum.

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-29, 04:13 PM
Sort of, like the IA hall of fame in Serpentines signature?
Or browsing through old A&C threads? (A splendid way to get down on earth again if you feel too cocky)

Mr_Saturn
2010-12-29, 04:28 PM
Hey! I'm not dead! I just don't have people asking me for avatars anymore. If anyone actually asked me, I'll finish the avatar ASAP in like an hour or two. And besides, compared to all the new talent (and current as well) I'm not even that good. :smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-29, 04:40 PM
Sort of, like the IA hall of fame in Serpentines signature?
Or browsing through old A&C threads? (A splendid way to get down on earth again if you feel too cocky)

A lot of the IA hall of fame links are broken, but the ones that remain are REALLY AWESOME, and not the cliched "awesome" used for OK stuff since we are using the good and ok descriptors as a polite way of saying it could improve. I mean the AWESOME in the sense of Anime well done fighting scenes that have you drooling from the graphics, jumping from the excitement and shouting because you forgot there were people around.

Hey! I'm not dead! I just don't have people asking me for avatars anymore. If anyone actually asked me, I'll finish the avatar ASAP in like an hour or two. And besides, compared to all the new talent (and current as well) I'm not even that good. :smalltongue:

You could always pass by the Request Thread and try to look for some request, if I'm not wrong there are two recent ones not taken yet in page 20.

And your art is incredible. It's instantly recognizable and good and Strongly OoTSy, I wish I could actually define my own style like you instead of merely applying whatever effect I'm in the mood for making, which makes my work seem like made by several different people: The one who shades extensively, the one who shades, the one who doesn't and the one who makes wings and particle effects. Your art is consistent AND extremly good looking.

Also, you have remained here for 4 years, most avatarist are temporary, you remain here, heck you even post regularly from what I see in your recent posting history, most styles and even avatarists go away with time, you remain here, still even taking requests.

Mr_Saturn
2010-12-29, 05:56 PM
Oh wow, that's very specific and detailed praise (And lengthy). You indulge me. I appreciate that.

I used to frequent the RaOotSSA thread, but I don't want to intentionally make myself take an hour or so for something I wasn't even personally asked to make. However if it was a special avatar themed week that caught my attention, I'd probably take as many requests as I could. (e.g. the pokemon week)

And besides, right now I'd rather do some sewing. Takes 2-5 hours and you get something you can actually wear. Beats a 120x120px avatar any day. :smalltongue: You can see my deviantart page. I finally uploaded my pictures.

http://yitsockl.deviantart.com/

yldenfrei
2010-12-29, 08:08 PM
And besides, right now I'd rather do some sewing. Takes 2-5 hours and you get something you can actually wear. Beats a 120x120px avatar any day. :smalltongue:
QFT! My sewing takes a full 8 hours, though (in my defense, it's usually full long-sleeved shirts). Yay for my 100 year-old sewing machine. :smallannoyed:

OT: I've only been here for less than a month, so I have no clue about non-active avatarists. I think it would be more apt to include works along with their names here, for easier recognition and appreciation. ^_^

And yes a Museum of OotS style Art Evolution would be very nice. :smallbiggrin:

Mr_Saturn
2010-12-29, 08:43 PM
Oh, I make fleece hats. I've made a few clothing items, but fleece hats are much faster and easier (generally cooler/cuter too). My sewing machine is actually pretty nice. For some reason my best friend bought me a $200 tool when I had absolutely no experience. He called it an investment.

Found this thread which apparently ended up working as this one, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...77#post2105177

Hahaha, I just read that, and apparently I left in 2007 as well. :smallredface:

And yes a Museum of OotS style Art Evolution would be very nice

I'd say that it goes from simple fanart of the Giant's, to OotS-style avatars, to shading/colored lines(not all black), to super-crazy detailed that you can't make out all the details in a 120x120px avatar.

Serpentine
2010-12-29, 10:11 PM
P.S.: Serpentine, most of my avatars I entered in IAs and some of yours are not showing anymore in the Hall of Fame. FYI. :smallsmile:Mine are all broken because I moved all my IA entries to a folder without a space in the title, because the forum avatar thingy has issues with spaces, and I haven't gotten around to fixing them in the Hall yet.
What's your excuse? :smallannoyed: :smalltongue: Post the updated links in the thread (uh... maybe get permission to post in it, first...) and I'll fix them when I get around to it. edit: You did already. Never mind :smallsigh:
I'm really behind in the Hall >.<

The (un)Official Best Playground Avatarist Competition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122316), for those interested.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-29, 10:25 PM
Although, I can't remember the last avatar I made for somebody who isn't me...

That one for Zexion that he's using now, I believe. One of the Organization XIII members.

Sneak
2010-12-29, 11:44 PM
I appreciate it Serps, but uh, I'm still, y'know, here? :smalltongue:

Although it is true that I don't art it up often enough anymore, and I've kind of given up avataring.

Also: we would all do well to remember the original and perhaps the best custom avatarist, Veera.

Mr_Saturn
2010-12-30, 01:41 AM
I appreciate it Serps, but uh, I'm still, y'know, here? :smalltongue:

It seems like threads like these are good at reviving us. Hahaha. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-12-30, 01:50 AM
...and I've kind of given up avataring.That's the relevant bit :smallwink:
Veera rings a bell... Got any of her stuff?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-12-30, 02:22 AM
Djinn-In-Tonic (who had his own quirky style),

:smallbiggrin: I'm honored. :smallredface:

Sneak
2010-12-30, 02:53 AM
That's the relevant bit :smallwink:
Veera rings a bell... Got any of her stuff?

Unfortunately, no. After a bit of searching I was able to find this thread, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8861) but she hosted all of her images on her personal site and it looks like it is no longer active, unfortunately.

(Fun fact: near the end of that thread, my 11-year-old self shows up for a few posts. Wow. Nostalgia. :smalleek: My first avatar was a Veeratar—a sneaky looking goblin with a poisoned hand-crossbow. Good stuff.)

I searched her posts and it looks like after leaving in 2006, she resurfaced for around 25 posts in 2008 and then left again. Some of her 2008 posts in Avatar Battle Royale contain images that show up, but they're not really her best work, unfortunately. From what I remember, her stuff was more or less indistinguishable from The Giant's. Not too detailed or fancy, but just really clean and good. I think she was a graphic design student or something? I dunno.

And here's a toast to some other lost but not forgotten avatarists:

Chris the Pontifex
Estop
Gengy
TheKingofDurf
That Lanky Bugger
The Stoney One
Tomb Raven
Adghar
xrestassuredx
Annex
Gorbash Kazdar
The Losar
Nemglan
Peregrine
Poeir
Shirwill Jack

And others... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8730)

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-30, 04:54 AM
I... don't know any of the people on that list. Except for Chris the Pontifex who made the classic Rolandatar (or so it says in Roland's sig) and therefore will be praised.
And also a nod to our former mod Gorbash Kazdar.
Damn, I'm young (speaking in board terms)...

Edit: I regret not taking part in that Unofficial Best Playground Avatarist thing, by the way... Hopefully if it starts up again I'll have time to compete...

Serpentine
2010-12-30, 04:59 AM
@^ As well you should :smallannoyed: I tried to contact anyone who came to mind about it but, alas, there were still some big names absent :smallsigh:

I miss Lanky Bugger, Stoney One and Tomb Raven from that list, especially. Going through the old Iron Avatarists brought back some old memories, too. Like Wukei. Whatever happened to her? :smallfrown:

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-30, 05:17 AM
Oh a new competition, fun*. ^^
The last one was last year in October or something wasn't it? (I think I entered a few of the early "elly-tars" in my portfolio)

*Always fun with an opportunity to show of your work, and dig through the horrible recesses from the times of olde.

And I stand by my belief that most of the passed great avatarists are in fact undead, or possibly demonic, as they keep coming back when you mention their name. I suppose that it has something with becoming epic, you don't pass away easily.

licoot
2010-12-30, 06:18 AM
When was that best avatarist contest, i can't believe i missed it

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-30, 06:40 AM
August to November 2009. Seems you joined the boards after it ended. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-12-30, 07:21 AM
Ah shoot. Gorram American dating system >.< I thought it was April.
Wellup, if anyone else wants to do another one, go for it. I'm not nearly reliable enough right now.

Szilard
2010-12-30, 11:13 AM
August to November 2009. Seems you joined the boards after it ended. :smalltongue:

Why am I just finding out about this?

Serpentine
2010-12-30, 11:17 AM
I did do my best to encourage participation, you know :smallannoyed: I linked it in my signature, sent out PMs, plugged it at every opportunity...

It can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122316), by the by.

Prime32
2010-12-30, 11:56 AM
Heh.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Prizes/ParticipationPrime32.gif
I think I missed those cert things when it happened.

Qwernt
2010-12-31, 02:12 AM
I suppose some are more like vampires, coming back to life when you least expect it*, than ordinary dead.

I'm still "following" Holammers photobucket-albums, and will probably get an heart-attack if it gets updated.

And until recently I thought that Qwernt was properly buried, but lo my surprise when he arose like a glorious zombie a while back.

*Springing nasty surprises for eventual competitors and to the general approval of the audience.

You make me laugh... I seem to recall getting beaten a number of times by you in the old IA (back before newbies got so good). In fact, at one point I was going to make a thread about avatarists I hoped might disapear so I could win an IA... and you were on it. Unfortunately most of the others who were on it quite IA-ing (yeah Serp, we are looking at you too, not just Elder Tsofu, Mr Saturn, and Sneak)

Though to be honest, I am probably going to stay in that "mostly dead" area. I got a puppy this year... she consumes my time (well the time I have left over after the wife and kids get what they need).

Serpentine
2010-12-31, 02:26 AM
Whee! http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/other/_.png And you has a puppy? http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/other/3.png

Oblivion
2010-12-31, 03:40 PM
I think I missed those cert things when it happened.

Ah! Me too!

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-31, 05:09 PM
Didn't you participate Oblivion?
I think I voted for some neat avatars in sunglasses. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-12-31, 11:25 PM
Yep, Oblivion participated:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Prizes/ParticipationOblivion.gif

All the votes and everything are still there, by the way, if anyone wants to review.

Qwernt
2011-01-01, 02:19 PM
Dang, a competition I completely missed. Must have been during my deep sleep before lichedom :smallwink:

Serpentine
2011-01-02, 12:47 AM
Weren't you one of the ones I sent a message to 'specially? :smallannoyed:

Oblivion
2011-01-03, 12:25 AM
Didn't you participate Oblivion?
I think I voted for some neat avatars in sunglasses. :smallsmile:

Yeah, I did. I just never saw those nifty certificate thingies. :smallsmile:

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-03, 03:00 AM
... I suppose wavering eyesight is a sign of going older? -.-

Ashen Lilies
2011-01-03, 04:53 AM
If that's the case, half the Playground are over 60. :smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-03, 04:59 AM
If that's the case, half the Playground are over 60. :smalltongue:

I wouldn't be especially surprised... :smalltongue:
Maybe someone could calculate a reference system for "playground years", like dog years but for participating in the playground.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-03, 05:09 AM
If that's the case, half the Playground are over 60

Which is ironic considering that a considerable amount of veteran avatarists are under the age of 20 (Disclaimer: I know only of a few of them, and only of the ones that put their birthdate in their profile).

And even then, my guess is that the majority is under the age of 30, but pay me no attention as my figures are skewered by my lack of looking around the profiles of fellow playgrounders.

Also, a system of dog years seems complicated, as we have no guideline of the maximum possible playground age (since the playground is still running.)

Oblivion
2011-01-03, 10:58 AM
Yeah, but by spending so much time in front of a computer monitor to make avatars ended up making our eyesight age twice as fast. :smalltongue:

Trixie
2011-01-03, 11:38 AM

Huh, I feel hurt now.

Add +1 to number of people 'What competition? When?' :smalltongue:

Qwernt
2011-01-03, 11:49 AM

I will neither confirm nor deny that I can remember anything sent to me during any period of time... although now that you mention it...:smalleek: