PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus Installation Help Appreciated

Sucrose
2010-12-28, 07:43 AM
Playgrounders, I'm having some difficulty installing Symantec Antivirus on my new laptop (graduation present- very happy with it:smallsmile:). I keep encountering a 1406 error, in which apparently my installer is unable to overwrite certain registry values.

In order to have some measure of protection while checking my computer out (it took a while for me to be able to acquire Symantec), I allowed it to download Norton for the trial period. Would Norton be causing these issues? If not, what might be?

Fri
2010-12-28, 08:00 AM
Well, one thing for sure, you can't have two antivirus in one computer at the same time, it'll cause a lot of trouble. And I heard that some antivirus got problem, that is it's hard to uninstall them (which is understandable, since it's an antivirus). Dunno if norton's like that though.

factotum
2010-12-28, 08:08 AM
Did you try right-clicking the Symantec installer and selecting "Run As Administrator"?

Sucrose
2010-12-28, 08:40 AM
Well, I just attempted running as an admin, and ran into the same problem. And I don't intend to run Norton, once Symantec is operational. Thank you for the advice thus far, though.

factotum
2010-12-28, 12:22 PM
It's entirely possible that Norton is preventing the Symantec installer writing to the registry, then--I can't think of anything else that would be doing it if you're running as admin.

Sucrose
2010-12-28, 03:30 PM
Well, I just uninstalled Norton, and my new antivirus is working without a hitch. Guess that's something to keep in mind in the future. Thank you for your assistance.:smallsmile: