PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used both the Intuos 4 and the Bamboo?

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-28, 06:31 PM
The VAT [value added tax] is about to go up in Britain so I'm looking for quick answers...

I'm umm-ing and ah-ing over whether i'd be better trading in my old Trust for a Bamboo or whether i'd actually get my money's worth out of an Intuos 4 [medium].

I'm not a bad artist by most standards see here (mulletmanalive.deviantart.com) though I have a ways to go to be good and i'm not sure if the investment is worth it for top-line hardware at this stage in the game...

Domochevsky
2010-12-28, 11:15 PM
Hm, only used the Bamboo, but it has yet to fail me. (after... what, 2 years now?)

The Intuos is bigger, but bigger tends to mean less sensitive, if i remember correctly. Also, i find the bamboo's size to be more than sufficient, as most of the time you'll stay in the center area anyway. The corners of mine are barely used. (It also costs only 60 bucks, as opposed to Intuos' 200.)

So... yeah. Bamboo has my vote. :smallsmile:

Trazoi
2010-12-28, 11:23 PM
The Intuos is bigger, but bigger tends to mean less sensitive, if i remember correctly.
I've only got an Intuos 3 and a Graphire, the generation behind, but the Intuos is more sensitive by a factor of two. I haven't looked into the Bamboo but my hunch is it would be similar given the target markets. The Graphire/Bamboo is for more hobbyist/casual/non-art business work while the Intuos is the next level up for hardware.

That said, I found the Graphire perfectly good for drawing and if it wasn't too small it would have been perfectly acceptable. I got an A5 Intuos because I wanted a slightly bigger tablet plus at the time I could use an educational discount that made it fairly cost effective. If you're at school or college it's worth having a look into whether you've got a similar option.

The main benefit of the Intuos for me is the extra size and the buttons. Possibly the tilt ability too although I can live without it. The Graphire however is extremely portable so it's still useful to me.

Savannah
2010-12-29, 12:06 AM
I only have the bamboo, but I can say that I love it. Occasionally I've wished I had something that registered pen tilt, but that's really the only thing I've noticed lacking in the bamboo, and that's fairly minor.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-29, 10:14 AM
Possibly unwise but I actually have the funds for it at the moment so i went with the Intuos...

Main reason being that the A5 Bamboo was far more expensive than the original thing i'd found on Amazon [defaulting to A6 seems ridiculous, at least to someone who finds that less responsive than a mouse]...

Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to hope that the complaints about the Intuos nibs wearing out are exaggerated [shouldn't be an issue, i put very little pressure on the things]