PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars D20 [3.5/3.P/4e] [PEACH]

Hanuman
2010-12-29, 07:07 PM
This is a project I'll continue posting material as long as people are interested.

This is to help translate GW flavor to DnD, I'll be working on the 3.5 but if people want to contribute by adding in anything they want, I would really appreciate it.

To start, the base classes:

Core
Warrior (Fighter Variant)

Ranger (Ranger Variant)

Elementalist (Sorcerer Variant, To Hell & Back Sorceress Variant Mix)

Necromancer (Wizard Variant, To Hell & Back Necromancer Variant, Dread Necromancer Mix)

Monk (Cleric Variant, Healer Variant Mix)

Mesmer (Illusionist Wizard Variant, Sorcerer Variant Mix)

Factions
Assassin (Assassin Variant, Shadowdancer Variant, Abrupt Jaunt Wizard Mix)

Ritualist (Shaman Variant)

Nightfall
Dervish (Dervish Variant, Cleric Variant Mix)

Paragon (Bard Variant)

IcarusWings
2010-12-30, 07:24 AM
I think most of them would work best as a variant of a psionic class. Power Points are the closest analogue you'll find to the energy bar (can't remember the name. Guildwars' equivalent of mana). You'd probably just have to create profession-specific powers and then go with it. For example warrior would be a psi-war but with rewritten powers to be martial, rather than psionic etc.

The only professions which would really need something much more tailored to themselves would be Assassin and Ritualist. Those were the only ones that really had their own mechanics. The others were basically all the same but with different powers (this was one of my main biffs with guildwars, and ultimately was one of the ones that made me stop playing).

I'm happy to help with this project, but it's been a long time ince I played guildwars.

Hanuman
2010-12-30, 08:34 AM
I think most of them would work best as a variant of a psionic class. Power Points are the closest analogue you'll find to the energy bar (can't remember the name. Guildwars' equivalent of mana). You'd probably just have to create profession-specific powers and then go with it. For example warrior would be a psi-war but with rewritten powers to be martial, rather than psionic etc.

The only professions which would really need something much more tailored to themselves would be Assassin and Ritualist. Those were the only ones that really had their own mechanics. The others were basically all the same but with different powers (this was one of my main biffs with guildwars, and ultimately was one of the ones that made me stop playing).

I'm happy to help with this project, but it's been a long time ince I played guildwars.
Well you'll notice the sourcebook To Hell and Back covers pretty much Diablo II entirely from A1 to A4 without using psionics, instead it uses a combination of the base spell system and then partial actions when available.

Really, 3.5 has most of whats needed, it has spells, stances/maneuvers, it can be tricked out with spell-like abilities and Ex's.
------------

Let's say Warrior for example:

What's different than the fighter or ToB?

First of all, it's primary attribute is Strength which gives Armor Penetration, so we can take a lesson from ToB and give it a level-capped boost to attack rolls from it's Strength score.

Let's say, at level 1 it gains a maximum of +1 to attack rolls and damage rulls as long as it has 12 strength, and perhaps another +1 at level 3 or 4 as long as it has 14 strength and so on?

Then, let's say this bonus also goes through hardness and damage reduction. Aha, better use for playing a Warrior. Even at +1/3lvl at level 15 it would ignore 5 points of hardness and 5 points of DR and add +5 to attack and damage rolls if you had 20 strength.

Maneuvers and stances can be easily modded, Tactics are pretty in-line with warblade functionality already, now all thats needed are shouts which can be maneuvers similar to White Raven.

There we go! Solid!

-------------

Something trickier? Mesmer will be a little more difficult just because of the usefulness of being able to apply the abilities in a turn based fashion instead of using timing.

Ritualist spirits should basically cause a Haunting effect somewhat as they effect vast areas, attack spirits should be stationary... but how to balance them... we don't want 3.5 to get the ability to run an attack spirit spammer, so I guess setting up a spirit should take time, like 10 minutes or so.

Makes a lot of sense to set a spirit or two up for each level in a dungeon as they descend, adds a LOT of flavor as well.

Hanuman
2010-12-31, 06:15 AM
Extraordinary Spell Aim should either be added as a campaign standard or as a class feature for all classes.

Ranger also seems to get ranged desert wind stances a lot of the time dealing fire damage and having movement boosts.

Ziegander
2010-12-31, 07:32 AM
The Warrior
I didn't include rules for maneuvers or stances, because I originally intended to write up new rules in order to accommodate Adrenaline and the various attacks, shouts, and stances. Of course it would be much easier to simply use ToB rules. The Warrior should have the Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, and White Raven disciplines and the same recovery, known, readied, and stances progression as a Warblade. Add Martial Lore and remove the Knowledge skills if doing this. I'll probably still come back and write unique mechanics eventually. Next I'll look at the Mesmer.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Powerful Reflexes, Warrior's Weapon

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Mettle

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Armor Penetration

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Warrior's Specialization

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Greater Warrior's Weapon

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Weapon Mastery

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Brutal Opportunist

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Bonus Feat

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Greater Warrior's Specialization

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Strength of Spirit

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Bonus Feat

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Warrior's Supremacy

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Devastating Opportunist

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Stance Mastery

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier): Appraise, Balance, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Geography, History, Local), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, and Swim.

Proficiencies: All simple and martial melee weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, as well as all shields including Tower Shields.

Powerful Reflexes (Ex): A Warrior adds his Strength modifier to his Reflex saves.

Warrior's Weapon: At first level choose Swords, Axes, or Hammers. You gain the benefits of the Weapon Focus feat for all weapons of the chosen type.

Mettle (Ex): As Hexblade.

Armor Penetration (Ex): A 3rd level Warrior ignores an amount of Damage Reduction and Hardness equal to his Strength modifier.

Warrior's Specialization: A 4th level Warrior gains the benefits of the Weapon Specialization feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Bonus Feat: At levels 5, 10, and 15 a Warrior gains a bonus feat drawn from the Fighter's list of bonus feats.

Greater Warrior's Weapon: At 6th level, a Warrior gains the benefits of the Greater Weapon Focus feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Weapon Mastery: At 8th level, a Warrior gains the benefits of the Melee Weapon Mastery feat.

Brutal Opportunist (Ex): At 9th level, a Warrior's attacks of opportunity deal 2 Constitution damage in addition to their normal effects.

Greater Warrior's Specialization: A 12th level Warrior gains the benefits of the Greater Weapon Specialization feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Strength of Spirit (Ex): At 13th level, while below 50% of his maximum hit points a Warrior gains Fast Healing equal to his Strength modifier.

Warrior's Supremacy: An 16th level Warrior gains the benefits of the Weapon Supremacy feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Devastating Opportunist (Ex): At 18th level, whenever a Warrior hits a foe with an attack of opportunity that foe must succeed on a Fort save (DC 10+1/2 Warrior level+Warrior's Strength modifier) or be immediately slain.

Stance Mastery (Ex): As Warblade.

IcarusWings
2010-12-31, 10:44 AM
Well you'll notice the sourcebook To Hell and Back covers pretty much Diablo II entirely from A1 to A4 without using psionics, instead it uses a combination of the base spell system and then partial actions when available.

Really, 3.5 has most of whats needed, it has spells, stances/maneuvers, it can be tricked out with spell-like abilities and Ex's.

Yes, 3.5 has manuevers and spells already in place, but they don't accurately model any of the abilities at all. Elementalists didn't expend spell slots, they paid for the cost of spells with mana, which is best modelled with psionics. This is the same for almost all of the professions. I haven't read To Hell and Back, and I haven't played Diablo. But I have read the World of Warcraft Tabletop RPG, which did a similar thing, it used spells slots and was nothing like any of the mechanics for WoW.

Let's say Warrior for example:

What's different than the fighter or ToB?

First of all, it's primary attribute is Strength which gives Armor Penetration, so we can take a lesson from ToB and give it a level-capped boost to attack rolls from it's Strength score.

Let's say, at level 1 it gains a maximum of +1 to attack rolls and damage rulls as long as it has 12 strength, and perhaps another +1 at level 3 or 4 as long as it has 14 strength and so on?

Then, let's say this bonus also goes through hardness and damage reduction. Aha, better use for playing a Warrior. Even at +1/3lvl at level 15 it would ignore 5 points of hardness and 5 points of DR and add +5 to attack and damage rolls if you had 20 strength.

Maneuvers and stances can be easily modded, Tactics are pretty in-line with warblade functionality already, now all thats needed are shouts which can be maneuvers similar to White Raven.

There we go! Solid!

There's also the difference that he payed for his abilities from a pool of points, which ToB does not model at all (although it does model the cooldowns for the abilities via having to refresh maneuvers, so it could work as a base, unlike vancian casting).

I'm not trying to be antagonistic or anything, I just think that if you just go with using spells and maneuvers then you're cutting out huge part of the Guildwars mechanics.

Hanuman
2010-12-31, 07:27 PM
Yes, 3.5 has manuevers and spells already in place, but they don't accurately model any of the abilities at all. Elementalists didn't expend spell slots, they paid for the cost of spells with mana, which is best modelled with psionics. This is the same for almost all of the professions. I haven't read To Hell and Back, and I haven't played Diablo. But I have read the World of Warcraft Tabletop RPG, which did a similar thing, it used spells slots and was nothing like any of the mechanics for WoW.
I def. agree, but a new system would have to be devised.
The other factor is the casting time and movement stopping.
Yet another factor is interrupts, so certain classes would basically be forcing concentration checks on enemies as soon as they use their abilities. Psionic doesn't really work like this because there's no reading an enemies movements when things just happen, and therefore no interrupts.

There's also the difference that he payed for his abilities from a pool of points, which ToB does not model at all (although it does model the cooldowns for the abilities via having to refresh maneuvers, so it could work as a base, unlike vancian casting).

I'm not trying to be antagonistic or anything, I just think that if you just go with using spells and maneuvers then you're cutting out huge part of the Guildwars mechanics.
I agree than the psi points do seem more in line, but the way psionic spells are cast otherwise are not, so maybe its better to start with the psionic point system and then mod the spells, or do you think its better to mod the casting system and keep the spells how they are?

Diovid
2011-01-01, 01:56 PM
I always thought the closest approximation was something like:

Warrior: Warblade
Ranger: Ranger (or Variant)
Elementalist: Shugenja (especially since the Guild Wars 2 Elementalist can also heal and stuff)
Necromancer: Dread Necromancer
Mesmer: Spellthief (Trickster variant)
Monk: Cloistered Cleric (with a limit on which deities you can follow and/or domains you can choose)

Assassin: Tough one, Beguiler maybe since the Assassin can also cast spells and does a lot of shadow-y stuff
Ritualist: Shaman / Spirit Shaman

Paragon: Marshal
Dervish: Another tough one, Cleric and Favored Soul come close I guess

A complete homebrew of all mechanics would be quite a challenge I'd imagine.
Good places for information are:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Hanuman
2011-01-01, 05:21 PM
I always thought the closest approximation was something like:

Warrior: Warblade
Ranger: Ranger (or Variant)
Elementalist: Shugenja (especially since the Guild Wars 2 Elementalist can also heal and stuff)
Necromancer: Dread Necromancer
Mesmer: Spellthief (Trickster variant)
Monk: Cloistered Cleric (with a limit on which deities you can follow and/or domains you can choose)

Assassin: Tough one, Beguiler maybe since the Assassin can also cast spells and does a lot of shadow-y stuff
Ritualist: Shaman / Spirit Shaman

Paragon: Marshal
Dervish: Another tough one, Cleric and Favored Soul come close I guess

A complete homebrew of all mechanics would be quite a challenge I'd imagine.
Good places for information are:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
The elementalist in GW1 has an abundance of self heals actually, but that would work more like a Crusader's Heal Per Strike, except it would be Heal per Spell.

Other than that, pretty nice comparison!

Diovid
2011-01-11, 06:17 AM
Any progress?

Here's a short run-down of the Human gods (the domains are the official domains as seen in the Guild Wars 2 demo).

Dwayna
Domains: Healing, Air, Life
Followers: Monks, Paragons, Elementalists, Dervishes
Favored Weapon: Some kind of mace maybe or the quarterstaff?

Grenth
Domains: Darkness, Ice, Death
Followers: Necromancers, Ritualists, Assassins, Elementalists, Dervishes
Favored Weapon: Scythe

Balthazar
Domains: War, Fire, Challenge
Followers: Warriors, Paragons, Elementalists, Dervishes
Favored Weapon: Greatsword

Melandru
Domains: Nature, Earth, Growth
Followers: Rangers, Elementalists, Dervishes
Favored Weapon: Longbow

Lyssa
Domains: Beauty, Water, Illusion
Followers: Mesmers, Assassins, Elementalists, Dervishes
Favored Weapon: Possibly the dagger?

Kormir
Domains: Order, Spirit, Truth
Followers: Paragons?, Dervishes?
Favored Weapon: Shortspear

Hanuman
2011-01-12, 12:28 AM
The Warrior
I didn't include rules for maneuvers or stances, because I originally intended to write up new rules in order to accommodate Adrenaline and the various attacks, shouts, and stances. Of course it would be much easier to simply use ToB rules. The Warrior should have the Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, and White Raven disciplines and the same recovery, known, readied, and stances progression as a Warblade. Add Martial Lore and remove the Knowledge skills if doing this. I'll probably still come back and write unique mechanics eventually. Next I'll look at the Mesmer.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Powerful Reflexes, Warrior's Weapon

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Mettle

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Armor Penetration

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Warrior's Specialization

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Greater Warrior's Weapon

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Weapon Mastery

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Brutal Opportunist

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Bonus Feat

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Greater Warrior's Specialization

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Strength of Spirit

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Bonus Feat

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Warrior's Supremacy

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Devastating Opportunist

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Stance Mastery

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier): Appraise, Balance, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Geography, History, Local), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, and Swim.

Proficiencies: All simple and martial melee weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, as well as all shields including Tower Shields.

Powerful Reflexes (Ex): A Warrior adds his Strength modifier to his Reflex saves.

Warrior's Weapon: At first level choose Swords, Axes, or Hammers. You gain the benefits of the Weapon Focus feat for all weapons of the chosen type.

Mettle (Ex): As Hexblade.

Armor Penetration (Ex): A 3rd level Warrior ignores an amount of Damage Reduction and Hardness equal to his Strength modifier.

Warrior's Specialization: A 4th level Warrior gains the benefits of the Weapon Specialization feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Bonus Feat: At levels 5, 10, and 15 a Warrior gains a bonus feat drawn from the Fighter's list of bonus feats.

Greater Warrior's Weapon: At 6th level, a Warrior gains the benefits of the Greater Weapon Focus feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Weapon Mastery: At 8th level, a Warrior gains the benefits of the Melee Weapon Mastery feat.

Brutal Opportunist (Ex): At 9th level, a Warrior's attacks of opportunity deal 2 Constitution damage in addition to their normal effects.

Greater Warrior's Specialization: A 12th level Warrior gains the benefits of the Greater Weapon Specialization feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Strength of Spirit (Ex): At 13th level, while below 50% of his maximum hit points a Warrior gains Fast Healing equal to his Strength modifier.

Warrior's Supremacy: An 18th level Warrior gains the benefits of the Weapon Supremacy feat for all weapons of the type he chose with his Warrior's Weapon class feature.

Devastating Opportunist (Ex): At 19th level, whenever a Warrior hits a foe with an attack of opportunity that foe must succeed on a Fort save (DC 10+1/2 Warrior level+Warrior's Strength modifier) or be immediately slain.

Stance Mastery (Ex): As Warblade.

Lovely! Thanks!

As for mesmer, I'm pretty interested in it. I've been using mesmer a lot lately in-game and I plan to main a mesmer in GW2.

Mesmer is very much like beguiler or imagist (boef), also like a sorceress or a wizard illusionist/enchanter.

Mesmers need a few things:
Hexes - They need duration based spells (if the duration is 6 seconds or less, I guess it doesn't need a duration) which punish or attack the foe. Things like conjure phantasm have direct comparisons such as Summon Phantasm - - Phantasmal Killer. Things like Wastel's Worry are a bit harder as most foes do not have "skills", but an easier one would be Empathy, which would reduce damage from the attacker and punish them for attacking for a turn duration.

I think what we need right now is to start pumping out homebrew spell comparisons. That's going to be my focus anyway.

Hanuman
2011-01-12, 01:25 AM
Conditions
Bleeding - Bleeding is a condition which is similar to Dying. When bleeding you must stabllize to stop the bleeding.

Deep Wound - When deeply wounded you reduce your current HP by 20%, to a maximum of 10 and reduce their healing by 20% rounded up.

Crippled - Your base speed drops by 1/2 and you take 1 damage when attempting to move faster than this.

Maneuvers

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/8/84/%22I_Will_Avenge_You%21%22.jpg
"I Will Avenge You!"
White Raven Boost
Requires an ally to appear to have been downed by an enemy while in line of sight.
Gain +2 strength +2 constitution and fasthealing2 for 2 rounds for each ally that has been downed in the encounter.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/2/23/%22I_Will_Survive%21%22.jpg
"I Will Survive!"
Stone Dragon Boost
Requires you to be effected by a condition.
You gain fast healing 2 and damage reduction 5 for 1 round per condition suffered.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/f/f1/Balanced_Stance.jpg
Balanced Stance
Setting Sun Stance
Gain +5 to all rolls to remain standing.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/8/8f/Dolyak_Signet.jpg
Dolyak Signet
Stone Dragon Boost
Reduce your land speed to 1/4 of it's original (including modifiers and future modifiers) and gain +10 to opposed bull rush and trip checks, take -4 to dex AC and gain a +8 bonus to AC. This boost lasts 4 rounds and cannot be dismissed. This effect ends if you are knocked prone.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/a9/Endure_Pain.jpg
Endure Pain
Stone Dragon Boost
Gain a separate damage pool for this skill that lasts 3 rounds, roll a d12 for every 3 HD you have to determine your pool size.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/8/84/Enraging_Charge.jpg
Enraging Charge
Stone Dragon Strike
If this Charge hits, recharge one maneuver (of equal or lower level, rephrase once levels are added--)

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/d/dd/Hammer_Bash.jpg
Hammer Bash
Stone Dragon Strike
Take -2 to your attack roll and double your strength bonus to your damage.
If you critical with this strike you can attempt to "Flatten" that foe which causes the foe to make a DC8+Strength Fortitude Save or be knocked prone.