PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder]Is a Cavalier a Cavalier without his mount?

TalonDemonKing
2010-12-29, 08:10 PM
Subject on tin.

I'm thinking about home-brewing some alternate class features for the Cavalier that removes his mount, but gives him features to make up for it instead. Perhaps to buff his tacts type ability, or to improve his damage, move speed, etc etc. While the details are in motion, I wanted to ask.

Is a cavalier still a cavalier, even without his mount?

For those of you who've played Monster Hunter, I see this homebrew being close to the Lance weapon class -- Charges on foot, large shield, shield bashing, mixed in with the leadership and tactics that the cavalier brings to the table. But is it even possible to separate the cavalier from his mount?

I wanted the play grounder's opinion on this before I go tripping over myself trying to make a mount-less cavalier.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-29, 08:41 PM
You'll be replacing a lot of stuff but no, there is nothing to say that a cavalier has to ride a horse, save that it's a word meaning "ponce on a horse" that's a corruption of the spanish for "ponce on a horse".

Given that only about 3-4 of his class features actually depend on being on a horse, it shouldn't be an issue in the slightest.