PDA

View Full Version : [d10 System]The Thrill of the Chase

Garaygos
2010-12-30, 08:23 AM
Hello, fellow Playgrounders, I'm moving off the ranks of "Lurker in the Playground" (much to the possible surprise of a certain individual) to seek inspiration for a pet project I'm working on.

Basically it goes like this: I'm setting up a Cyberpunk setting to play in with a couple of buddies. The year being around 2100-2150 (not fundamental), main theatre of operation, the megalopolis of New Berlin.

I might one day open a more detailed thread on the subject, to explain more in depth what other ideas I've had/what are the staples of the setting, but for the time being what I'm looking for are suggestions on a particular subject matter - chases.

Chases (and I'm thinking car chases mainly, even tho I'll more than willingly to listen to running chases ideas) are sometimes cinematographically "cool" moments. I'm wondering, is it possible to devise a system to recreate satisfactory chases in a RPG?

"Global" premises:

Gaming system is d10 (or Vampires, whatever you prefer). So skill checks work out like [N° of stat dice+ N° of skill dice] vs a certain difficuly level
There are 3 main types of vehicles: Koal powered, wheeled (think "normal" cars) - Hydrogen powered, wheeled (again basically "normal" cars) - Hydrogen powered, repulsorlift (think Star Wars landspeeders, less than 2 mt height from land maximum)
Cars do not mount "auto-pilot" systems. At least, most of them do not.

A)The first, most immediate solution to the chase problem is to have a straight opposed check by the two pilots... but this isn't cool, as too dependand on dice roll and void of context

B)Another possibility is to "plan" the chase (especially if the PCs are following someone):
e.g. "Ok the baddies are escaping in their Honda Raptor V74, you guys hop on your trusted VW Jumbo and off we go. Round one, he accelerates at top speed, try and see if you can catch up [roll dice]. Round two, he takes a steep turn right in a small sideway, see if you make the turn [roll]. And so forth. A little more descriptive than plan A, but I can't help but feel there's something lacking.

C)Draw a map, and use it to have at least a semblance of "visual effect". But again all in all it sounds a bit boring to play. And wouldn't prolly work out too well if the PCs are the ones escaping.

If at all possible, the less use of miniatures/dioramas, the better (in my opinion).

So, what are your ideas on the subject? It's better to just give up the chase and focus on other things? Or do you have some interesting suggestions?

If need be, I can give all other "world background" informations one might require.

Thanks in advance for reading.