PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of vampire.

dragonfire42
2010-12-30, 01:50 PM
After reading the "Vladimir Tod" series, I began thinking of how to incorporate vampires (the type from the books) into a dnd 3.5 campaign I am creating. I believe it would work well as a monster class. Here are some of my ideas for the class:
- undead subtype
- blood draining
- increased speed
- bonuses to strength and dexterity
- hovering
- unarmed strike advancement
- ability to create drudges
- damage from sunlight
- fast healing?
Any advice would be appreciated.
:smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2010-12-30, 02:04 PM
But does it SPARKLE? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, you could probably do worse that this Vampire monster class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8056982&postcount=173), which covers the standard D&D vampire. I would tweak it to your specifications, & lengthen it to about 5 levels, but it's a start.

dragonfire42
2010-12-30, 02:09 PM
But does it SPARKLE? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, you could probably do worse that this Vampire monster class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8056982&postcount=173), which covers the standard D&D vampire. I would tweak it to your specifications, & lengthen it to about 5 levels, but it's a start.

"Vampires, after all, didn't sparkle."
quoted from the final book of the series, "Twelfth Grade Kills." :smallbiggrin:

Also, thanks for the advice.

IamtheSandman
2010-12-31, 05:41 PM
I Am Legend?

Zeta Kai
2010-12-31, 05:43 PM
I Am Legend?

No, you am not. :smalltongue:

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-01, 06:20 AM
No, you am not. :smalltongue:

No, but I am :smalltongue:

I haven't read the Vladimir Tod series but I will be willing to help make a Vampire Class for you.

Rough copy: (took about 10 minutes)
Name: Vampire
Prerequisites: Humanoid or Giant Humanoid
Special: Bitten by a Vampire
Undead Traits
Full BAB, Poor Fortitude, Good Reflex, Good Will

Level 1: Blood Thirst, Fangs
Level 2: Hover
Level 3: Fast Healing
I'll add more later

Blood Thirst: Must drink blood (minimum 5 pints) at least once a week or suffer 10 Strength damage and be fatigued. Fatigue cannot be cured by anything except drinking blood.

Fangs: You gain a natural attack. It deals 1D6 normal damage. On a successful attack roll a D20 and add your highest attack bonus against DC11 + 1/2 Victim's HD. If successful the victim takes 1D6 Strength and Constitution damage as well as 1D6 normal damage (+1D6 per 1/2 Vampire class levels).

Hover: Gain a flight speed of 0 with poor maneuverability. Increase speed by 5 at every even Vampire class level after gaining this ability. Increase maneuverability by one step every three HD after gaining this ability.

Fast Healing: Gain Fast Healing 2xHD.

dragonfire42
2011-01-01, 06:04 PM
For hover, I was thinking it would be more like the spell levitation. It would probably work with perfect manueverability and low speed. The blood thirst is also nice. However, I think it would be cool if it had a smaller penalty (fatigued), and the vampire went into a frenzy. I think a 10-15 level prestigue class would work nicely for it.
Here is my rough copy of the progression of abilities so far:
Lv ability
1 undead subtype, blood drain/fangs, blood frenzy, weaknesses
2 improved strenght and speed
3 basic hover
4 regeneration 1/stakes,silver
5 special vampire mind powers

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-01, 07:39 PM
what about we change Blood Thirst to:
Must drink blood (minimum 5 pints) at least once a week or be fatigued. Fatigue cannot be cured by anything except drinking blood. For every week after the initial week roll once on the following chart:
1-5: -1STR (ends when drinking blood)
6-10: Exhausted for this week (ends next roll or when drinking blood)
11-15: Weakened for this week (ends next roll or when drinking blood
16-20: Blood Frenzy

Blood Frenzy: Rage as a Frenzied Berserker of your HD except only using Bite attacks.

dragonfire42
2011-01-01, 07:58 PM
what about we change Blood Thirst to:
Must drink blood (minimum 5 pints) at least once a week or be fatigued. Fatigue cannot be cured by anything except drinking blood. For every week after the initial week roll once on the following chart:
1-5: -1STR (ends when drinking blood)
6-10: Exhausted for this week (ends next roll or when drinking blood)
11-15: Weakened for this week (ends next roll or when drinking blood
16-20: Blood Frenzy

Blood Frenzy: Rage as a Frenzied Berserker of your HD except only using Bite attacks.

week 1 fatigued
week 2 exhausted
week 3 -5 to all ability scores
week 4 -10 to all ability scores (not culimative with week 3)
week 5 insanity
I think also after one week they had to roll a will save = to 10x the weeks since they last drank blood or go into frenzy. Also, when in frenzy, the fatigue from blood thirst dosen't affect them.

Another thought, maby their self control increases with levels in the class.
I need to think of machanics for it.
Possibly, they will gain bonuses on thier will saves for that check. I think it might be better to make a skill (self control?) to make it so even classes with low will scores will be able to control their vampiric needs.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-01, 08:01 PM
Will save + Self-Control + 1/2 Vampire level

dragonfire42
2011-01-01, 08:44 PM
That seems like it would work.:smallsmile:

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-01, 08:47 PM
How many skill points should we give them? 4? 6? every player would pick Self-Control as a skill.

dragonfire42
2011-01-01, 09:16 PM
How many skill points should we give them? 4? 6? every player would pick Self-Control as a skill.

6 would be good if we make it a non class skill for all classes. It would have to be able to be used untrained.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-01, 10:29 PM
Name: Vampire
Prerequisites: Humanoid or Giant Humanoid
Special: Bitten by a Vampire
Undead Traits
Full BAB, Poor Fortitude, Good Reflex, Good Will

Skills: Vampiric-Control, Bluff, Disguise, etc.

Level 1: Blood Thirst, Fangs
Level 2: Hover
Level 3: Fast Healing
I'll add more later

Blood Thirst:
week 1 fatigued
week 2 exhausted
week 3 -5 to all ability scores (can't go lower than 1)
week 4 -10 to all ability scores (not cumulative with week 3) (if lower than 1 auto-fail Will save)
week 5 insanity
After one week you had to roll a Frenzy save (DC=Weeks of Thirst x10) or go into frenzy. Also, when in frenzy, the fatigue and ability damage from Blood Thirst doesn't affect them. When in Frenzy you must attack only with your Bite attack and must make a Will save to not attack for that round. If you fail you must attack the nearest living being with your bite attack and try to drain blood. Frenzy ends 10 rounds after you have consumed 5 pints of blood
Frenzy save DC: 10 +2 for every living being within 10 squares +1 for every point you failed the DC to enter the Frenzy.

Fangs: You gain a natural attack. It deals 1D6 normal damage. On a successful attack roll a D20 and add your highest attack bonus against DC11 + 1/2 Victim's HD. If successful the victim takes 1D6 Strength and Constitution damage as well as 1D6 normal damage (+1D6 per 1/2 Vampire class levels). You drain 1/2 Pint for every 4 damage drained.

Hover: Gain a flight speed of 0 with poor maneuverability. Increase speed by 5 at every even Vampire class level after gaining this ability. Increase maneuverability by one step every three HD

Fast Healing: Gain Fast Healing 2xHD.

New Save: Frenzy Save: Will save+1/2 levels of Vampire Monster Class

New Skill: Vampiric-Control: Every point invested in this skill grants a +1 bonus to Frenzy saves.

dragonfire42
2011-01-01, 11:25 PM
Name: Vampyre
Prerequisites: Killed by a vampyre's bite and constitution 10 or more

Vampyre
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Bloodthirsty body
2nd|