PDA

View Full Version : Raptember (3.5 race, PEACH)

boomwolf
2011-01-01, 12:19 PM
Another section of my WIP homebrew setting (Elemental Ruin), the Raptember, a basic Fae in the setting. these guys are, despite being outsiders (Fae are the chaos outsiders in Elemental Ruin), are only LA 0, making them entirely playable.

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderChronicles/PZO9209-Astradaemon.jpg

Raptember

+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con. Raptember are nimble, arrogant and has a strong personality, but rather slim and fragile bodies.

Outsider (Fae). as Fae Raptember has low-light vision, Darkvision to 60 ft. and are not ressuructable in normal means. (a wish however, can restore them)

Small: As a Small creature, a Raptember gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

40ft Land Speed. despite their small size, Raptember are very quick on foot.
Natural Attacks: a Raptember has two very long claws, attacking for 1d4 damage, with a critical of 19-20/x2. also he has a bite attack for 1d6 damage with a critical of 20/x3

Fascinate: A Raptember skill can use his force of personality to cause a creature to become fascinated with him. in order to use this ability the Raptember must focus his entire concentration in taking no action other then fascinating his target (effectively using a full-round action each turn to maintain the ability) as he swings the tentacles on his back in an hypnotic pattern, his target must make a will save against his Charisma Score (total score, not modifer or be fascinated by the Raptember and become unable to take any action but stare at it.
Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect. Fascinate is a supernatural, mind-affecting ability that requires line of sight from both the Raptember to the target, and from the target to the Raptember.
Favorite Class: Barbarian or Wanderer (a yet incomplete scout-monk-ranger class)

Common Names: Raptembers are with no name, but they gain a title when they reach adulthood. mostly a two-word combination with references to the elements of air and fire, hunting references or accomplishments.
Example "names": Swiftclaw, Blazewind, Emberhunter, Soundhunter, Drowburner, Razorwind, Shadowkiller, Breathstealer, etc...

A Raptember is a small humanoid with a slim body a serpentine head, a black-and-red body, sharp claws, and a long twirling tail. but the main feature is the bundle of tentacles on his back he uses to hypnotizes his targets.
Raptember a short live creatures who mostly end their lives in the hand of a prey too powerful. they are mostly hunters who find nothing wrong in killing anything for food, yet are strictly against unnecessary killing. its no unheard of that a pack of Raptembers hunted down a humanoid or Fae, and right before killing it they just left him alone, as they didn't need the food.

The origin of Raptember, as all Fae, is in the chaotic Nether. they have found their niche as predator-hunter species who is in some sort of half-agreement with other Fae. they don't eat Fae unless they have to, and the Fae ignore when they do. occasionally a pack brakes this agreement, but are then quickly eliminated by both other Fae, an other Raptembers.

A Raptember is not religious, ever. they fail to understand the concept of religion. funny moments might rise from an attempt to explain it to them, they cannot grasp the idea of other creatures who are not on the same ground as they are. they cant even grasp the difference between animals, humanoids, and various outsiders (be it Fae, Demon, Angel or Invertible.), from their point of view, if it has meat-its food. the reason they avoid Fae if possible is that they manage to grasp that Fae are the closest to them, and despite being edible they are also possible friends, as such a Raptember grown in another society (such as the martial plane, heaven, oblivion or mechanus) might consider the members of that plane as a lower priority food, but will still resort to it if he deems necessary.

Raptember hunting technique is quite simple. they prefer hunting in parties of three to maximize chances of successes while not having to share much one gets right in front of the target, in plain view, and fascinates it. the other two then sneak behind him, and prepare for quickly killing it in one rapid chain of attack, as the fascination cannot hold one who is being attacked. after the hunt the three usually share the meal an separate, but in rare occasions, mostly in family members, they stick thorougher for a while, but even that won't last long.

During the yearly mating season, most adult Raptember are struck with incredible lust, and are willing to preform with literally anything. once they do, the lust passes until next year. in case a male and female Raptember breed during that season (lasting only a week) there is a 100% pregnancy, this ends with three to seven eggs being laid one month later, hid separately, and loft for their own fate. quashi-adult Raptember emerge after a year. (right before the next mating season.)

Random Starting Ages
{table="head"]
Adulthood|
Simple|
Moderate|
Complex
2 years (from hatch)|
+1d4 months|
+1d6 months|
+2d6 months[/table]

Aging Effects
{table="head"]
Middle Age|
Old|
Venerable|
Maximum Age
8 years (from hatch)|
15 years (from hatch)|
20 years (from hatch)|
+1d8 years[/table]

Random Height and Weight
{table="head"]
Gender|
Base Height|
Height Modifier|
Base Weight|
Weight Modifier
Male|
4'2"|
+2d8|
75 lb.|
× (2d4) lb.
Female|
4'0"|
+2d8|
65 lb.|
× (2d4) lb.[/table]

boomwolf
2011-01-01, 12:20 PM
Raptember Paragon

HD: d8
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Reflex|Will|Abilities
1|+1|+0|+2|+2|Improved Darkvision (+30 ft.)
2|+2|+0|+3|+3|Lingering Hypotisem
3|+3|+1|+3|+3|Ability Boost (+2 Dex)[/table]
Skill points per level: 4+Int (x4 at first)
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (dex).

Improved Darkvision (Ex)
At 1st level, a Raptember paragon's darkvision range increases by 30 feet.

Lingering Hypotisem (Su)
At 2nd level, the Raptember's Fasicnate ability is far more powerful, and the effect lingers on the target one round after he is attacked/threatened or outwise should be broken as long the Raptember continues to concentrate on the ability.

Ability Boost (Ex)
At 3rd level, a Raptember paragon's Dextirity score increases by 2 points.

Racial Substitution Levels

Raptember Barbarian

HD: d12
{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Fast Movement, Illiteracy, Predatorial Instincts
14nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Dominating Will[/table]
Class Skills:(4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Move Silently (Dex), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Swim (Str).

Predatorial Insticts (Ex):
A Raptember's mindset is a bit different then normal, and as such he does not "rage", but go into a lower state of find, letting only his most basic instects required to hunt work, and as such his reaction is much, much faster.

This ability is identical to the rage ability, except you gain bonuses to Dextirity and Charisma instead of Constitution and Strength, also you enjoy the benefits of Weapon Finesses while it is active, and the ability duration is set by the (newly modifed) charisma score of the Raptember. also, while normally unable to use any ability that requires concetration, the Raptember can still use his facinate ability as normal.

This replaces your normal Rage class ability.

Dominating Will (Ex)
A Raptember does not attempt to free his own will, but to bend the will of others. he gains a +5 bonus on all Charisma based skills, and the save DC of his facinate ability is increased by +2

This replaces your normal Indominateable Will class ability.

GuesssWho
2011-01-01, 09:24 PM
Wild picture, where did you get it?

LOTRfan
2011-01-01, 09:24 PM
I believe it is a Baernoloth.

Eldan
2011-01-01, 09:38 PM
Hmm. The name makes me think of a month, actually.

Otherwise, I like them.

Wasn't that constructive?

Nopraptor
2011-01-02, 01:41 PM
I call second on the month thing... sorry
oh and I think their age chart is kind of rediculously short (I had a DOG that lived longer)

Keinnicht
2011-01-02, 02:01 PM
Hmm. The name makes me think of a month, actually.

Otherwise, I like them.

Wasn't that constructive?

I call third on the month thing. It sounds like a month where everybody raps.

Also seems a bit strong for LA +0.

Benly
2011-01-02, 02:14 PM
Chiming in likewise, my first thought was that Raptember must be National Hip-Hop Awareness Month.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-02, 03:19 PM
oh and I think their age chart is kind of rediculously short (I had a DOG that lived longer)

You had a 29 year old dog? Though I do agree with your post.

boomwolf
2011-01-03, 08:30 AM
Well, yea. all Fae in the setting are short-lived. long-lived races rend to be more lawful and less dominated by their emotions...

As for the name, I'll think of a new one.

Any crunch balance thoughts?

LOTRfan
2011-01-03, 08:50 AM
Also seems a bit strong for LA +0.

I would say high Level Adjustment +0.

Pros
Fascinate
40 ft. base speed, really fast for a small size.
Three natural attacks, one with a x3 to critical, the other with a critical range 19-20.

Cons
Penalties to two physical scores.
Nearly impossible to resurrect.

Other
+1 to attack from size is negated by -2 to strength.

Granted, it is powerful, but I think it is okay.

What is the (Fae) subtype, and what does it do?

boomwolf
2011-01-03, 10:43 AM
Nothing much on his own (like angel, demon or invertible), but some spells, abilities and magic items will refer to it. (Faebane weapons for exsample)

All Fae DO have low-light vision, and darkvision 40 ft. (and they are all small or smaller, and mostly fast moving.)

firemagehao
2011-01-03, 09:35 PM
I don't see how a creature with -2 str and -2 con has favored class barbarian.

boomwolf
2011-01-04, 04:51 AM
It might not be mechanically smart, but these ARE wild creatures, who have predatorial mindset-it makes sense for them to fall into barbarian state of mind (and they have alternate barbarian class features that I am about to post.)

Eldan
2011-01-04, 05:31 AM
I just finally had a revelation on that picture.

I always thought I was seeing it's face from the front, so it looked like weirdly-drawn, asymmetric huge lips to me. Now I just realized it's viewed from the side and shows a weirdly hinged kind of deep-sea fish jaw. Makes so much more sense.

I like the picture now.

Re'ozul
2011-01-04, 09:27 AM
The picture is awesome, even though I find the tail too long and that it looks like someone crossed a deep sea angler fish with Jet alone (http://miotd.com/images/20090221.jpg) and the spindly arms of a Doppelganger.

Eldan
2011-01-04, 09:30 AM
At the very least, it clearly shows it's a supernatural creature: no way that thing could have normal muscles.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-04, 09:37 AM
It might not be mechanically smart, but these ARE wild creatures, who have predatorial mindset-it makes sense for them to fall into barbarian state of mind (and they have alternate barbarian class features that I am about to post.)

Ranger or Druid would be a better choice than Barbarian. Just saying.

firemagehao
2011-01-05, 06:34 PM
Ranger or Druid would be a better choice than Barbarian. Just saying.

that or scout.