PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape Virus

Cealocanth
2011-01-01, 12:40 PM
I'm aware many people in the playground, especially avatarists, use or have Inkscape on their computers. Just a warning to those who use the program, I have encountered a virus that harbored in the data file of Inkscape. It removed administrator access to Inkscape's files as well as several other important files on my computer, making it difficult for me to access my own files. Luckily, a System Restore did the trick enough for me to uninstall Inkscape and re-install it.

So, a warning to the Inkscape users of the Playground, I encountered a virus that hid in it.

Bayar
2011-01-01, 12:46 PM
Better make a new thread in Arts & crafts with this info, and maybe add a post with this to the Fan Webcomic section (preferably http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103775&page=2).

Cealocanth
2011-01-01, 02:09 PM
Ahh, wasn't sure where this thread belonged. Now that you mention it, ARts and Crafts is the better place.

Should I re-start it again over there or would the mods be so kind to move this?

unleet
2011-01-01, 03:23 PM
Inkscape is an open-source project, which means anyone can create a modified version and distribute it.

As with any software, if you can't afford the risk of losing data, only use tested release versions, and get them from reputable sources. If possible, check MD5 hashes before installing (it's a useful thing to know how to do, so Google it).

shawnhcorey
2011-01-01, 03:29 PM
So, a warning to the Inkscape users of the Playground, I encountered a virus that hid in it.

What OS are you using?

Cealocanth
2011-01-01, 04:58 PM
I doubt it matters at all, but I use Windows 7. I'm running 3 different anti-malware programs and it still got through and seeded itself into the data file of Inkscape and proceeded to slow down my computer and restrict access to almost everything.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-01, 05:03 PM
I doubt it matters at all, but I use Windows 7.

Yes, because I know of no way that an SVG file can contain a virus. It's been a few years since I read the spec, but I don't think it is possible. The virus must have gotten in through another method. The question is which method was used.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-01, 05:06 PM
Oh crap oh crap. I downloaded it directly from the site almost a year ago. During that time I did have my computer checked a couple of times for viruses; nothing came up. It's clean, right?

Cealocanth
2011-01-01, 05:07 PM
Yes, because I know of no way that an SVG file can contain a virus. It's been a few years since I read the spec, but I don't think it is possible. The virus must have gotten in through another method. The question is which method was used.

I didn't download Inkscape and the virus came on it. I've used this genuine copy of Inkscape for a whole year now and it hasn't ever done anything like this. I'm warning that there is a virus that arrived from some other unknown source that is capable of hiding in the data file of Inkscape once Inkscape's on your computer and in file form.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-01, 05:08 PM
By "the site" I assuming you mean inkscape.org. AFAIK, that version is clean.

Cealocanth
2011-01-01, 05:10 PM
Oh crap oh crap. I downloaded it directly from the site almost a year ago. During that time I did have my computer checked a couple of times for viruses; nothing came up. It's clean, right?

I would still check if I were you. Go to your program files and open Inkscape. Then try to open the file labeled "data". If it doesn't let you, you may have it. If you do, you can't open Inkscape either because you "don't have permission to do so" or the buttons have had their uses and images stripped, making Inkscape full of red "X"s.

RS14
2011-01-01, 05:31 PM
I don't think it's that big a deal. There are thousands of viruses that plant themselves in all sorts of files.

Either you're running appropriate AV software, in which case you've got little to worry about, as it will probably be caught, or you're not, in which case checking Inkscape files by hand for this particular virus is as futile as trying to bail the Titanic with a thimble. It's unlikely to find anything, and there are other more effective countermeasures you could take which might also detect the many other viruses you might have.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-01, 05:42 PM
I don't think it's that big a deal.

That depends. If it targets Inkscape, then it's a big deal. This would be the first one that does. But I don't think Inkscape is popular enough to warrant this. Most likely, it targets something else and Inkscape was vulnerable. :smallfrown:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-01, 05:43 PM
I would still check if I were you. Go to your program files and open Inkscape. Then try to open the file labeled "data". If it doesn't let you, you may have it. If you do, you can't open Inkscape either because you "don't have permission to do so" or the buttons have had their uses and images stripped, making Inkscape full of red "X"s.

I'm able to use Inkscape without any problems...

Cealocanth
2011-01-01, 05:47 PM
I'm able to use Inkscape without any problems...

Then I doubt you have it. I know the virus didn't come with Inkscape, so the chances that you have it in the exact same spot are pretty low. You would have to have visited the exact same place I did and downloaded the exact same file. I'm just warning that this virus is capable of hiding in Inkscape, and it's a nasty one at that.

Jimor
2011-01-01, 06:04 PM
A lot of viruses will go around and pick random *.exe files to infect so that each time you run them, it spreads the virus even more. So as people are saying, it's more likely to be a general infection than something that targeted Inkscape in particular.

Bradakhan
2011-01-01, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure if it is a general infection. I got a new computer, so I went to download inkscape. Inkscape.org came up as fine, but when I began to download it from the opensource part, my anti-virus software came up with an alert about the download.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-01, 06:47 PM
What sort of an alert? Don't forget that part of the download is an installer. Installers do things like change the Registry and some AV will say that they are viruses because of this.

Castaras
2011-01-01, 06:52 PM
Didn't have a problem with Inkscape when I downloaded it... Yesterday, I believe. And Mcafee hasn't thrown anything up, nor has there been any problems with my computer.

Was probably a virus from elsewhere that picked Inkscape as a random target because you used it.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-01, 07:48 PM
A lot of viruses will go around and pick random *.exe files to infect so that each time you run them, it spreads the virus even more. So as people are saying, it's more likely to be a general infection than something that targeted Inkscape in particular.

Viruses do all sorts of crazy things, a couple of weeks ago a virus infected my MP3 player from my Brother's Laptop. It made all the folders on the player hidden and created .exe files with the names of the folder and icons...

On topic, I have to agree with this, it does sound like it's most likely a general infection that has seeded itself in a handt *.exe file...

Bradakhan
2011-01-02, 07:55 AM
What sort of an alert? Don't forget that part of the download is an installer. Installers do things like change the Registry and some AV will say that they are viruses because of this.

Mcafee came up saying that it was a "potentionally annoying infection," so it might not be anything too serious, but it came up again today when I went back to check it.

averagejoe
2011-01-02, 07:58 PM
Ahh, wasn't sure where this thread belonged. Now that you mention it, ARts and Crafts is the better place.

Should I re-start it again over there or would the mods be so kind to move this?

The Mod They Call Me: Sure thing. It's probably better to report the thread instead of counting on one of us reading it over.

This should probably be merged with the existing inkscape thread, but I'll go ahead and just move it so that it's more visible.

Cealocanth
2011-01-02, 10:35 PM
... It's probably better to report the thread...

Thanks. I'll make sure to do that in the future.

Saposhiente
2011-01-05, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure if it is a general infection. I got a new computer, so I went to download inkscape. Inkscape.org came up as fine, but when I began to download it from the opensource part, my anti-virus software came up with an alert about the download.
If it's not a false alarm, then it's probably that you suffered a man-in-the-middle attack from some other thing that automatically infects the next .exe you download.