PDA

View Full Version : [L5R 4E] Need help with my first Shugenja

Devorum
2011-01-02, 10:02 AM
Ok, both of our groups Shugenja just died and are re-rolling Bushi because they didn't understand that shugenja aren't D&D wizards and are expected to do something besides throw fireballs around with wild abandon.

This left a vacuum, and me and another player were contacted by the GM and asked if we would switch to Shugenja, since we are competent, experienced roleplayers. We both agreed, but I'm having trouble creating mine. I like to make characters with very little overlap or redundancy, and it's driving me batty. The other is an Earth affinity Tamori who is going for buffs and tankiness.

I was originally a Shosuro Infiltrator, and wish to remain in the Scorpion clan. I'm looking at taking the Different School advantage and attending the Isawa school.

This is my first Shugenja, and I'm torn between raising traits and skills. I'm also torn on what my affinity should be. I can go Air and continue my role as the party distracter/bastard, along with filling in for the deficient element of the other shugenja. I can go Void and be the guy who never runs out of void points. Water and Fire aren't really screaming at me, though they do have a few good spells lying around. The party desperately needs a "face", so I will also be focusing on social skills.

TL;DR: First time making a Shugenja, Scorpion clan and will also be a part time "face." Party already has an Earth buffer Shugenja. Need help with build.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2011-01-02, 04:58 PM
Why do you need to change your character? Did your lord make a law that says all missions must be managed by no fewer than two priests for some reason?

I ask this because I'm getting the impression that you're trying to make a Shugenja fill a role that your old character already filled just fine. If you liked playing the infiltrator, it sounds like he's not stepping on anybody's toes or anything.

Well, unless he died too, in which case... uh... *examines book*

...I keep forgetting that my stuff is actually from 3rd edition. Whoops.

The Big Dice
2011-01-02, 10:35 PM
I'd seriously suggest not bothering with Different Scools. It sucks up points and, more importantly to a Scorpion, it creats conflicts of loyalty. Do you owe loyalty more to your lord or your sensei? For some clans, that's great, poliics and obligations make for good internal conflict. For a Scorpion, that's you on the 'don't trust, watch him closely' list.

A Soshi is actually a good choice for a second shugenja. They have an Affility for Air, the element of things that are felt but not seen, Fire as a second and Water as a third element. So I'd go Soshi school, Air and Void 3. I'd get mainly social skills, though Defense and jiujutsu are both useful. Also invest in Medicine. Don't forget, spells in L5R are a limited resource, rely on your skills and use your spells to enhance what you can do without them.

I'd suggest Mists of Illusion, Benten's Touch and Tempest of Air for your three Air spells, plus Fires that Cleanse and Fires of Purity, so you have ranged ability and some melee. Finally, I'd take Path to Inner Peace for your starting Water spell.

What you end up with is a face who can hold his own against Courtiers, plus he has enough ability to be useful but not overpowering in combat. And he can heal the bushi when they've taken a pasting.

Devorum
2011-01-03, 06:32 AM
I'd seriously suggest not bothering with Different Scools. It sucks up points and, more importantly to a Scorpion, it creats conflicts of loyalty. Do you owe loyalty more to your lord or your sensei? For some clans, that's great, poliics and obligations make for good internal conflict. For a Scorpion, that's you on the 'don't trust, watch him closely' list.

A Soshi is actually a good choice for a second shugenja. They have an Affility for Air, the element of things that are felt but not seen, Fire as a second and Water as a third element. So I'd go Soshi school, Air and Void 3. I'd get mainly social skills, though Defense and jiujutsu are both useful. Also invest in Medicine. Don't forget, spells in L5R are a limited resource, rely on your skills and use your spells to enhance what you can do without them.

I'd suggest Mists of Illusion, Benten's Touch and Tempest of Air for your three Air spells, plus Fires that Cleanse and Fires of Purity, so you have ranged ability and some melee. Finally, I'd take Path to Inner Peace for your starting Water spell.

What you end up with is a face who can hold his own against Courtiers, plus he has enough ability to be useful but not overpowering in combat. And he can heal the bushi when they've taken a pasting.

Hmmmm, this might be a good idea. I can still take Ishiken-do, I just won't have spells for Void until IR2. The Earth deficiency doesn't hurt too bad, since the other player is Earth affinity.

I'll make a build using this and give it a go, thanks for the insight!

@Dr.gunsforhands: The other person making a shugenja only plays every other week, and so far it has been necessary to have 1 functioning priest in the party each session.

The Big Dice
2011-01-03, 09:20 AM
Hmmmm, this might be a good idea. I can still take Ishiken-do, I just won't have spells for Void until IR2. The Earth deficiency doesn't hurt too bad, since the other player is Earth affinity.
Don't worry about Void spells unless you're going to concentrate on being an Ishiken. They're good, but not great unless you can really go for it in order to use them to their full potential.