PDA

View Full Version : random thought: wizard-turned-ant-via Reincarnation?

Gandariel
2011-01-02, 06:47 PM
Reincarnation CAN transform you in something random (with a 00 in the roll, i think)
and why not an ant?
if a wizard got reincarnated into an ant, what would happen? how would you stat it?
i mean can he get equipment? hp? can he be hit with an arrow?
i mean sure he'd have to Still and Silent all of his spells, but imaggine the awesome: you are technically invisible, you could infiltrate anywhere and.. i can't even think of the possibilities
now as a non-d&d-expert, is this viable?

WarKitty
2011-01-02, 06:56 PM
Depends on the type of campaign. I wouldn't try it in a serious one, but a more relaxed one? Sure.

What kind of familiar does this wizard have? He should be able to ride.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-02, 06:59 PM
Reincarnation CAN transform you in something random (with a 00 in the roll, i think)
and why not an ant?
if a wizard got reincarnated into an ant, what would happen? how would you stat it?
i mean can he get equipment? hp? can he be hit with an arrow?
i mean sure he'd have to Still and Silent all of his spells, but imaggine the awesome: you are technically invisible, you could infiltrate anywhere and.. i can't even think of the possibilities
now as a non-d&d-expert, is this viable?Can it be done? Sure.

Of course, now no longer able to do verbal, somatic, material, or focus components, the Wizard's spell list is shortened. No longer able to turn the pages of his spell book, he's limited to what he's got Mastered (at least, until he gets his Polymorph action on).

Is he Invisible? No. But he's got a GOOD size bonus to Hide, and can get concealment to hide in virtually any terrain.

Of course, his lifespan (if he stays a he) is now "only a few weeks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ants#Development_and_reproduction)" - oh yes, and as he starts as an adult, it's much, much less than that....

Gandariel
2011-01-02, 07:19 PM
My familiar could turn the pages, that's not a problem
I would have to Still and Silent almost all spells though...
i think you can houserule an ant is totally invisible (or maybe visible but surely Not noticed.. it's an ant!)

the shortened life cycle kinda sucks, actually...

what about speed? stats? equipment?

Jack_Simth
2011-01-02, 07:30 PM
My familiar could turn the pages, that's not a problem
I would have to Still and Silent almost all spells though...
i think you can houserule an ant is totally invisible (or maybe visible but surely Not noticed.. it's an ant!)

the shortened life cycle kinda sucks, actually...

what about speed? stats? equipment?
Oh, I'd probably peg Str and Con at about a 1. I mean, seriously: IT'S AN ANT. Lots of things humans won't notice are fatal for an ant.

As for speed? Eh, borrow from the Spider Swarm - that'll be sufficient for most.

Equipment? Well, if you want armor, you can see about commissioning some Barding. You can't use Somatic components anyway, so why not? Of course, you probably won't live long enough for it to be made by hand...

Other equipment? You're not humanoid in shape, not even roughly. Essentially none of it is built for you, so you've got a problem. You might try riding an Ioun Stone, though.

Xan_Kriegor
2011-01-02, 07:39 PM
[...] might try riding an Ioun Stone, though.

You good sir, are made of win. Have a cookie! :smallbiggrin:

Gandariel
2011-01-02, 07:46 PM
Can i solve the short life cycle thing saying i'm a magical ant, same as normal but with a decent lifespan?

"A wizard did it" is a good explaination for so many things, why not this?

Xiander
2011-01-02, 08:46 PM
Can i solve the short life cycle thing saying i'm a magical ant, same as normal but with a decent lifespan?

There are already rules in place for this, if you want it to work differently you have to talk to your GM.

Psyren
2011-01-02, 08:56 PM
Oh, I'd probably peg Str and Con at about a 1. I mean, seriously: IT'S AN ANT. Lots of things humans won't notice are fatal for an ant.

The reverse is true too. For example, you try holding your breath underwater for 2 weeks :smalltongue:

Cerlis
2011-01-02, 09:27 PM
yea, you'd have to waste all your spells for spiders and other ants and lizards. you'd soon run out of cantrips.

"Heeeeelp meeee. Heeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeee"

I think if you want something unique you should try a Lizard, Rat or even cat with the Druid varient to shapeshifting thats in the PH2 to turn into creatures bigger or smaller than it. So a (awakened?)bat who turned into beetles and wolves, depending on if he needed to be stealthy or fight.

well *shrug* i dont know. but if you do go arcane caster try Sorcerer. I think the backstory should be you got killed on a magical layline and so your mind fused with your familiars.

just suggesting stuff

Psyren
2011-01-02, 09:36 PM
Like most other "I'm a wizard-turned-animal!" situations, you're better off with a Psion. Same key stat, same role in the party, no need to worry about getting someone to turn the pages of your spellbook for you or use components that you no longer have access to.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-02, 09:58 PM
The reverse is true too. For example, you try holding your breath underwater for 2 weeks :smalltongue:

They don't really hold their breath - they don't breath in the same sense most people think of the term. Sure, they engage in a gas exchange... but they don't do the cyclical breath in, breath out that lizards, birds, and mammals do. So ants have a limited form of amphibiousness? No big deal. Doesn't change the little issue that tiny doses of poison kill them (low Con), that they can only lift a few grams (low Str), and that stepping on one is pretty much fatal (low con again).

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-02, 10:01 PM
What kind of familiar does this wizard have?
An anteater. Or, to be more exotic, an Echidna.

Psyren
2011-01-02, 10:07 PM
They don't really hold their breath - they don't breath in the same sense most people think of the term. Sure, they engage in a gas exchange... but they don't do the cyclical breath in, breath out that lizards, birds, and mammals do. So ants have a limited form of amphibiousness? No big deal. Doesn't change the little issue that tiny doses of poison kill them (low Con), that they can only lift a few grams (low Str), and that stepping on one is pretty much fatal (low con again).

I think you're being a bit pedANTic!

But don't let me stop you from FORMIAN your opinion.

:smallwink:

Jack_Simth
2011-01-02, 10:31 PM
I think you're being a bit pedANTic!

But don't let me stop you from FORMIAN your opinion.

:smallwink:

You do realize a penchant for capitalizing puns cant work nearly as well as the application of a tiny bit more subtlety, right?

Psyren
2011-01-02, 10:38 PM
You do realize a penchant for capitalizing puns cant work nearly as well as the application of a tiny bit more subtlety, right?

Is this a crowd or an oil painting? :smalltongue:
When you're serving up stinkers, you may as well call attention to 'em.

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-02, 10:54 PM
You two are making a molehill out of an anthill. :smallbiggrin:

Cealocanth
2011-01-02, 11:01 PM
You do know that ants communicate via hormones in their feces. If communication is required for spells, well...it would be an interesting sight to see an ant use his different smells for all the different spells. :smallamused:

"And this, this smell here is my sleep spell..."

Gandariel
2011-01-03, 06:55 AM
Actually, due to her size, stomping on an ant doesn't usually kill her (ever tried?)
You have to splat it precisely with a finger, for example
So ok str 1, con 1. (Or more simply 1 hp total, can't change)

But the most important point is, nobody would ever notice an ant

bokodasu
2011-01-03, 09:42 AM
But the most important point is, nobody would ever notice an ant

But those AoE spells are killer.

Psyren
2011-01-03, 09:44 AM
But those AoE spells are killer.

Scuttle under the grooves in the fighter's bootsole; you now have total cover.

bokodasu
2011-01-03, 10:06 AM
Scuttle under the grooves in the fighter's bootsole; you now have total cover.

And your LoS/E is blocked, making you useless. What's the move for an ant, anyway? (300 meters/hour = 1.6 feet/round).

Psyren
2011-01-03, 10:16 AM
And your LoS/E is blocked, making you useless.

Nah, just delay until the fighter lifts his foot, cast as a standard and scuttle back under his boot as a move, then repeat.

Or be a summoner, you don't need LoE to command your minions.

What's the move for an ant, anyway? (300 meters/hour = 1.6 feet/round).

Why would it be less than a swarm? If anything, a lone insect should be quicker than a pile of them.

boomwolf
2011-01-03, 10:59 AM
DnD and physics don't mash.

Anyways-you should not try to logic an ant wizard-its too silly and unworkable with anything within the rules.

Mastikator
2011-01-03, 11:58 AM
The wizard would- like any other insect, get a int score of "-".

Psyren
2011-01-03, 12:21 PM
The wizard would- like any other insect, get a int score of "-".

Actually, Reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm) only affects physical ability scores.

hewhosaysfish
2011-01-03, 12:32 PM

ANT LICH!

A hollow exoskeleton, scuttling around despite its lack of iternal tissues, driven by its arcane might and malevolent will...

kme
2011-01-03, 01:09 PM
Polymorph and Shapechange also give you the ability to turn into an ant if you don't want to deal with reincarnate.

flabort
2011-01-03, 01:51 PM
ANT LICH!

A hollow exoskeleton, scuttling around despite its lack of iternal tissues, driven by its arcane might and malevolent will...

:smalleek:
:smalleek:
:smallconfused:
:smallamused:
:smallbiggrin:
I am so stealing that.