PDA

View Full Version : Statting out Fire Emblem characters and weapons

Popertop
2011-01-03, 06:42 AM
EDIT: Mods can you move this to RPG please?

Now I'm sure you all have had the same urge that I have had.
That is to create Hector in all his awesome Great Lord glory
in D&D or whatever RPG you play.
He's pretty much my favorite fire emblem character,
and just seeing him decimate some poor saps with Armads or Wolf Beil
would make me pretty much the happiest guy ever.

Have you put Hector in your game, even just as an NPC?

I really have no idea how to approach Armads, even though its probably just a +5 Shocking Burst Great axe(or bigger, don't know how much bigger than Great axe you can get tho) that grants DR 10/- or something like that.
How would you make Armads badass if you included it in your campaign?
I'm sure it's worthy of artifact status, but it beats me as to what to slap onto it to bring it up to that level.

Knaight
2011-01-03, 12:01 PM
While I'm not familiar with Hector, everything should be relatively easy to transfer, though not necessarily well. Strength simply remains strength, Speed becomes Dexterity, Hit Points remains hitpoints while informing constitution, and Skill is basically a measure of BAB.

Moving away from D&D this gets even easier. If you're interested I could write something up for Fudge which about covers any and all characters, weapons, etc.

DracoDei
2011-01-03, 12:23 PM
I really have no idea how to approach Armads, even though its probably just a +5 Shocking Burst Great axe(or bigger, don't know how much bigger than Great axe you can get tho) <Snip>
In 3.5 it is just the size class of character that is theoretically supposed to wield it (IE without monkey-grip or accepting penalties or whatever) "Large Great-axe", "Huge Great-Axe", "Gargantuan Great-Axe", and "Colossal Great-axe".

Popertop
2011-01-05, 06:28 PM
by "bigger" I meant more base damage, like a different weapon entirely (one that is bigger in size than a greataxe)
but it looks pretty huge, so yeah it
might be a Large or Huge greataxe
I was just wondering what kind of bizarre big axe weapons are out there
that could possibly make more sense than just upping the weapon size.

is there already a comprehensive thread for this kind of thing?

NineThePuma
2011-01-05, 07:28 PM
Bigger weapons deal more damage. I'd call him a Human Fighter specing Armor, Monkey Grip, and Power Attack. The only problem is that Iterative Attacks aren't based on Dex in DnD. Otherwise... Well...

I will note that this technically belongs in the RPGs section rather than the Homebrew section, however.

Popertop
2011-01-05, 10:01 PM
ok I guess a mod can move it then.

Thing is, he's really really bulky once you promote him
to Great Lord, so I guess I could count that as having Powerful Build...

NineThePuma
2011-01-05, 11:41 PM
Or it's Mechanus Plate.

Really, if you're basing it on the sprites, then a discussion is unneeded. You just go as crazy as you want.

Human Fighter with Power Attack, Armor Specialization/Focus/Etc, and Monkey Grip. Adamantine Full Plate (he'll have DR 5/- wearing it, which is enough to shrug off weak hits from little guys), Large Great Axe. Wham, bam, a basic build set out. You could go pretty crazy from there.

dgnslyr
2011-01-06, 11:34 PM
Ah yes, Hector, KING OF MANLINESS. My favorite FE7 character, by far.

Well, Fighter is supposed to be the go-to choice for a skilled "mundane" warrior, but since it's not such a good class, Warblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2) is much more mechanically sound, probably specializing in Iron Heart and Stone Dragon.

He'd need a feat to wear heavy armor, but if you're blowing a feat, you mind as well get Exotic Armor Proficiency in Mechanus Gear. The most mechanically sound way would probably to give him a Mithril Fullplate, which has all the protection of normal fullplate with less of the weight. After all, he jumps quite well in his heavy armor. Stone Dragon also has a few (very unspectacular) maneuvers that grant DR for a turn, so if you really want the "ultra-heavy armor" feel, then that's the way to go, though DnD has the irritating tendency to make most (read: Not miss chance) forms of defense practically useless.

Amrads would probably be a Shocking Burst Greataxe of some kind, maybe Large-sized with the bonus that you wield it even if it's too large for you if you have sufficient strength, if you really want to get fancy, but it's probably not necessary, because larger damage die doesn't do much, and you can always say it's massive while being surprisingly easy to handle in the hands of its chosen wielder.

With a Warblade, though, you can choose the maneuvers that sound good for someone like Hector, and have fun statting him out.

Lix Lorn
2011-01-07, 09:27 AM
Lyn is better. [/obligatory] :smalltongue:

I'd say that he could go for a martial fix of some kind. A fighter or a paladin. Dare I say it, my own Noble Guardian would fit-although Hector is kinda low wis. Hmm. Not amazing cha or int either...
Alright, scratch that. There are plenty of other ones around...

(thinks)

With just core, maybe Crusader..? Delayed damage pool, decent stats.

There was a homebrew class a while back called the Destroyer which comes to mind. It had armour and damage output... I think...

Hmm.

(thinks)

NineThePuma
2011-01-07, 09:34 AM
Eliwood is awesomer than Hector.[/obligatory]

He was slow, lacked shiny mentals, and was mostly just damage output/tanking. I dare say he counts as a Fighter. Here's the Destroyer though. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155803)

The-Mage-King
2011-01-07, 09:40 AM
Meh. I prrefer 8 to 7. The world map was useful.[/obligatory]

*Mobbed*

Anyway, what dgnslyr says is about what I'd suggest. Maybe toss in a level of fighter for the armor prof and a bonus feat...?

NineThePuma
2011-01-07, 09:43 AM
Eirika > Everyone but Lyn & Florina.

Prime32
2011-01-07, 10:04 AM
4e's mechanics are a bit closer to FE (two "promotions", etc.) Anyone tried statting some characters in that system?

Closet_Skeleton
2011-01-07, 11:34 AM
Fire Emblem characters are pretty limited in 3rd ed due to unarmoured melee characters being useless. You just can't make a myrmidon at all, except possibly with swordsage.

Eliwood would be a noble/duelist. Which would amazingly suck.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-07, 11:40 AM
Fire Emblem characters are pretty limited in 3rd ed due to unarmoured melee characters being useless. You just can't make a myrmidon at all, except possibly with swordsage.

The defense bonus rules would like a word with you. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm)

Eliwood would be a noble/duelist. Which would amazingly suck.

As for Eliwood, wouldn't this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83559) work?

Lix Lorn
2011-01-07, 03:31 PM
Eirika > Everyone but Lyn & Florina.
I dunno, Rebecca kicks butt.
Also, Lucius. :smalltongue:

Anyway.
A Monk Fix would do perfect as an unarmoured melee-although unarmed, so not myrmidons. Swordsage would work.