PDA

View Full Version : Protection Help

molten_dragon
2011-01-03, 07:33 PM
As I posted in another thread, I'm playing a shadowcraft mage in a high-level campaign. It's so far proven to be quite lethal, so I'm trying to protect myself as best I can. I'm looking for some help with two specific things.

First off, I'm using a mimicked instant refuge to teleport myself to a pocket plane I created if bad things happen (where my cleric cohort waits to help me). It lets me set up to 6 conditions that it will activate based on. I'm looking for help figuring out what they are. Ideas I've had so far are:

My hit points drop below 0
I die
I am unable to act

Secondly, I'm having my cohort cast a few persisted spells on me each day, and I'm thinking Greater Spell Immunity is a good choice. I'll be immune to 4 spells, but I'm looking for suggestions on what they should be. I usually have veil of undeath cast on myself, so anything that makes me immune to I don't need spell immunity to. The only spell I've thought of so far that might be nice is dimensional anchor.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 07:53 PM
If you're reliant on teleportation/planeshifting, then dimentional anchor is definately a good idea. Others might be the classically annoying (at best) blasphemy/holy word, etc. (depending on alignment and your expected foes) and Disintegrate (which can easily kill you unless you have a high fort save/LOTS of hp and isn't a Death spell, so is unaffected by deathward,)

Also, if you can, get something to make your buffs more resistant to dispelling, as that could easily ruin your day. I can't think of anything off hand that does this, though.

Ernir
2011-01-03, 08:28 PM
"I am unable to act", if allowed, should cover both you dying and you being reduced below 0 HP.

I'd spend more pepper on making sure I won't be the subject of a Disjunction or a targeted Dispel Magic. You're relying on those buffs.

EagleWiz
2011-01-03, 08:41 PM
Beware of dispell magic, antimagic field, and preform (acting) checks.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 08:41 PM
I'd spend more pepper on making sure I won't be the subject of a Disjunction or a targeted Dispel Magic. You're relying on those buffs.

How does one do this? I'd like to know so I can use the method, please!

Zaq
2011-01-03, 08:54 PM
Secondly, I'm having my cohort cast a few persisted spells on me each day . . .

Might I ask how? The only ways I can think of offhand are Incantatrix shenanigans and the good old Persistent Eye Beams trick. I'm curious . . . what method are you using?

Chilingsworth
2011-01-03, 09:10 PM
Might I ask how? The only ways I can think of offhand are Incantatrix shenanigans and the good old Persistent Eye Beams trick. I'm curious . . . what method are you using?

Divine Metamagic + High charisma + nightstick(s) + multiple extra turning feats, I'd imagine.

Just my guess. Afterall, if the cleric is just supposed to be a healer/buffer like the OP describes, you could scarifice all stats except for wisdom and charisma to a large degree. He just sits in his demiplane (or some other convienent safe location) buffs the character in the morning, and acts as an emergency responder if the character gets sent back to base. No combat ability nessecary.

Zaq
2011-01-03, 09:20 PM
I refer to the fact that Persist only works on spells of personal or fixed range, which are quite few in number without shenanigans. Persisting spells on yourself is one thing. Having your cohort persist spells on you is quite another.

molten_dragon
2011-01-04, 06:21 AM
Divine Metamagic + High charisma + nightstick(s) + multiple extra turning feats, I'd imagine.

Just my guess. Afterall, if the cleric is just supposed to be a healer/buffer like the OP describes, you could scarifice all stats except for wisdom and charisma to a large degree. He just sits in his demiplane (or some other convienent safe location) buffs the character in the morning, and acts as an emergency responder if the character gets sent back to base. No combat ability nessecary.

This is pretty much exactly it. Good analysis.

molten_dragon
2011-01-04, 06:26 AM

Any suggestions on how to go about this? A ring of counterspelling would work for greater dispel magic, but I'm not sure how to protect myself from disjunction.

Radar
2011-01-04, 06:48 AM
Any suggestions on how to go about this? A ring of counterspelling would work for greater dispel magic, but I'm not sure how to protect myself from disjunction.
You can include the clause in your instant refugee: "I am about to be hit by Disjunction".
Other then that, Disjunction is a burst, so you can shield yourself with Celerity -> Wall of Stone combo, if you know, where is the spell aimed at. In general Celerity can get you out of harm's way, so better have a few copies of it memorised.

Malbordeus
2011-01-04, 09:00 AM
if you dont put ranks in perform mime or theatre, then you will possibly always be unable to act. :P

also applies to the first round of any combat as you are "unable to act" untill your initiative.

:smallbiggrin:

Ernir
2011-01-04, 01:27 PM

I'd use the Instant Refuge for that. It's pretty difficult to hard-counter, so you're probably stuck with contingency-like effects (including the Instant Refuge) and immediate-action stuff that can break the Line of Effect or get you out of range. Which yes, probably means Celerity.

Godskook
2011-01-04, 04:22 PM
Dimension Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionallock.htm) is more dangerous than dimensional anchor, since it doesn't need to target you to work on you.

molten_dragon
2011-01-04, 05:23 PM
Dimension Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionallock.htm) is more dangerous than dimensional anchor, since it doesn't need to target you to work on you.

Yeah, but it's also only a 20 foot radius emanation. I can get out of that fairly easily.

Godskook
2011-01-04, 05:29 PM
Yeah, but it's also only a 20 foot radius emanation. I can get out of that fairly easily.

1.The spell lasts days/level, which means its one of the few spells that can be set up weeks in advance.

2.Force Cage

3.Its a trap! Read: You teleport into enemy base, enemy casts Dimension Lock where you teleported. You now examine the room and notice that there are no exits, and that the entire area, sans your entry, was already covered in Dimension Lock

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-04, 05:42 PM
For Disjunction, and other emanations, there is always the shrunken adamantine hat trick.

Basically you use shrink item spell on a conical hollow piece of adamantine, wear it as a hat; and if you are hit by a disjunction or AMF the hat un-shrinks covering you and breaking line of effect, thus protecting yourself from it

Dimensional lock... have your familiar ready an action to speak the command word to un-shrink the item if you are in an area warded by dimensional lock? (spellcraft helps identifying if the are is under influence of the spell)

molten_dragon
2011-01-04, 06:18 PM
2.Force Cage

Not too worried about this one. I have celerity and am not afraid to use it

3.Its a trap! Read: You teleport into enemy base, enemy casts Dimension Lock where you teleported. You now examine the room and notice that there are no exits, and that the entire area, sans your entry, was already covered in Dimension Lock

Quickened greater dispelling followed by teleport out.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not sure it's dangerous enough that it's worth being one of the ones I'm immune to.

Godskook
2011-01-04, 06:33 PM
Not too worried about this one. I have celerity and am not afraid to use it

Quickened greater dispelling followed by teleport out.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not sure it's dangerous enough that it's worth being one of the ones I'm immune to.

Both of these arguments apply equally well against dimensional anchor, and yet you consider dimensional anchor a valid choice. And yet, the only real distinction between the two is that Anchor is easier to defend against without resorting to outright immunity(You can boost your AC).