PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic for military use [3.5 Feats] [PEACH]

The Mentalist
2011-01-03, 11:15 PM
Squadron Spell [Metamagic]
We take care of our own
Prerequisites: -
Benefits: Any spell that has a target of one creature and either No Save or [Harmless] save affects one target per CL within Close range. This is a +3 Metamagic

Regiment spell [Metamagic]
The tribe will grow mighty
Prerequisites: Squadron Spell
Benefits: Any spell that has a target of one creature and either No Save or [Harmless] save affects ten targets per CL within Medium range. This is a +4 Metamagic

Legion Spell [Metamagic]
This legion shall be blessed
Prerequisites: Squadron Spell, Regiment Spell
Benefits: Any spell that has a target of one creature and either No Save or [Harmless] save affects one hundred targets per CL within Long range. This is a +5 Metamagic

I think that the idea is balanced I'm just worried that there are spells that will break it.

Cieyrin
2011-01-04, 02:15 PM
Squadron Spell isn't any different from Chain Spell and is actually somewhat weaker, as Chain Spell can affect things besides people. The only difference between the two is that I need another metamagic feat to get Chain Spell, which isn't that bad if I'm a full caster, since I'll probably be picking up other metamagic, anyways.

As for the other 2, I think it's a bit harsh. I don't think Legion Spell is any more powerful than Persistant Spell is. I'd just advance them by +1 between them and even then, buffs I'd want that are 1 target tend to be touch or close range, making it unlikely I could even fully use Legion or even Regiment.

The Mentalist
2011-01-04, 02:36 PM
As for the other 2, I think it's a bit harsh. I don't think Legion Spell is any more powerful than Persistant Spell is. I'd just advance them by +1 between them and even then, buffs I'd want that are 1 target tend to be touch or close range, making it unlikely I could even fully use Legion or even Regiment.

What if I increase the range to medium for Regiment and Long for Legion?

Cieyrin
2011-01-04, 02:59 PM
What if I increase the range to medium for Regiment and Long for Legion?

It's probably be necessary, yes, unless you want your troops to bunch up into fireball formation so they can all be Divinely Favored.

The Mentalist
2011-01-04, 03:22 PM
Fixed.

Is Mage's Lucibration a single target spell or a personal spell?

Cieyrin
2011-01-04, 03:34 PM
Is Mage's Lucibration a single target spell or a personal spell?

d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesLucubration.htm) says personal.

The Mentalist
2011-01-04, 03:49 PM
Thank god. That would have been ugly.

vetinari007
2011-01-05, 02:34 AM
I would really recommend to only allow it with abjuration spells.

Legion reincarnate, anyone?

Kuma Kode
2011-01-05, 05:09 AM
Reincarnate says "dead creature touched", which is technically not the same as "one creature" or even "creature touched."

Making it abjuration-only would remove a bunch of harmless buffs, as well as the stat-boosting ones that seem like a fantastic idea for this.

I like them. Not useful for a PC really at all, but definitely usable by armies with caster level 7+ magic users.

EDIT: You might want to specify that it does not work with spells that have an expensive material component or an experience cost, or specify that the cost must be paid per target.

Cieyrin
2011-01-05, 03:01 PM
EDIT: You might want to specify that it does not work with spells that have an expensive material component or an experience cost, or specify that the cost must be paid per target.

You have a specific one in mind, as I don't see why it should cost extra beyond a spell level hike. As I stated earlier, you can do Squadron spell but better with Chain Spell already, which doesn't cost more per target, either.

DracoDei
2011-01-05, 04:25 PM
One thing I would say is that you should AT LEAST let the last two also effect 1 target/CL spells at a reduced cost... perhaps +3 and +4 respectively? This adds complexity, but it isn't as if these are the most complicated metamagics in the world, and as it is, you have wizards researching single-target versions of Haste without any up-sides, just so they can put this on them.

I agree that expensive material components should be required for EACH target.