PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape question

Maxios
2011-01-04, 01:08 PM
I recently started using inkscape to draw my webcomic [The Official Nexus Webcomic]
I copy and paste the previous strio onto the next one, so that way I can copy-paste the characters so I can change their poses.
Well today I went onto inkscape, and opened up the Nexus' 10th strip so I can copy paste it, (and with it, the characters), but it's all one big image. I can't even select individual parts.
Why is this? Is there a way to turn this feature off?

shawnhcorey
2011-01-04, 01:42 PM
I recently started using inkscape to draw my webcomic [The Official Nexus Webcomic]
I copy and paste the previous strio onto the next one, so that way I can copy-paste the characters so I can change their poses.
Well today I went onto inkscape, and opened up the Nexus' 10th strip so I can copy paste it, (and with it, the characters), but it's all one big image. I can't even select individual parts.
Why is this? Is there a way to turn this feature off?

There are a number of reasons this might be so:

1. Is the file *.svg or *.png? PNG files are one image. Save your Inkscape drawings as SVG.

2. Is the layer the objects in locked? Use Layer -> Layers... (Shift+Ctrl+L) and unlock them.

Maxios
2011-01-04, 02:45 PM
There are a number of reasons this might be so:

1. Is the file *.svg or *.png? PNG files are one image. Save your Inkscape drawings as SVG.

2. Is the layer the objects in locked? Use Layer -> Layers... (Shift+Ctrl+L) and unlock them.

Ok, I'll try that. The images were PNGs

Edit
Nope. I tried to unlock them, it didn't work. Then I tried saving it as an svg, and re-opening it.
It didn't work

Trazoi
2011-01-04, 03:01 PM
There's your problem. PNGs are a raster format not vector, so they're all one image. You need to find the SVG file that would have stored the individual vector components (if you haven't saved it somewhere then you're in trouble.)

shawnhcorey
2011-01-04, 03:03 PM

Edit
Nope. I tried to unlock them, it didn't work. Then I tried saving it as an svg, and re-opening it.
It didn't work

But you didn't save the original as SVG, did you? Once you make a PNG, it's hard to get a SVG back. What you did was save a SVG file with a embedded image.

Save everything as SVG, include the finished image, and only render it as PNG. But don't delete the SVGs. You can use them (the SVGs) in future drawings.

Also, if you want to copy & paste between files, open them all in the same instance of Inkscape. If you don't, you can't copy & paste. This is a known bug and I'm not sure when it will be fixed. Start Inkscape and then use its open command to open all the files you want to use.

Maxios
2011-01-04, 03:06 PM
I didn't save it as an SVG, only as a PNG.

But anyway guys, thanks for the assist. I'll just re-draw the characters for now.

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-04, 03:08 PM
Also, if you want to copy & paste between files, open them all in the same instance of Inkscape. If you don't, you can't copy & paste. This is a known bug and I'm not sure when it will be fixed. Start Inkscape and then use its open command to open all the files you want to use.

As long as I have both windows open (regardless how I open them) I can copy. I think it might have been resolved in the last edition. (as I had that problem earlier)

shawnhcorey
2011-01-04, 03:12 PM
As long as I have both windows open (regardless how I open them) I can copy. I think it might have been resolved in the last edition. (as I had that problem earlier)

To tell the truth, I haven,t try this since 0.46. I just tried it in 0.48 and it works. I'm not sure about 0.47.