PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming: New Campaign World PEACH

Doctor Acula
2011-01-04, 04:46 PM
Just like the title says I am trying to get a new campaign world ready for a campaign I will be running this summer. So far this is what I got, If you think any ideas are stupid/need redoing please tell me.

Turli
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs32/i/2008/215/a/8/Mystical_Stone_by_88grzes.jpg
History:
In the world of Turli there is a stone hidden deep in the heart of Mt.Haggon, it lay untouched for centuries until the great goblin Ilo found the heart stone and layed his hands upon it. When Ilo touched the stone he felt the first touch of magic in Turli, immediately all of the goblins felt a similar surge of magic energy. For centuries the goblins used their exclusive knowledge of magic to lay waste to their enemies and soon they had created a global empire where they ruled with law and fairness. This is known as the First Crusade.

The second crusade, The Crusade of the Immortals, began when the elves broke the goblin's defenses of Mt.Haggon and the scout Fiyero Sirfalas found the heart stone for himself. As before when Fiyero touched the heart stone not only did he gain great magical prowess but the other elves also gained the ability to cast magic. After the elves developed their own magical abilities the goblins were quick to form an alliance with the elves, allowing Fiyero to be made emperor and rule however many goblins kept positions of power throughout this regime change. During this time an artistic renaissance blossomed throughout Turli as the elves made a new, richer culture.

The Crusade of the Immortals did not last forever however and soon a new race took control of the heart stone. Because for all their defenses surrounding Mt. Haggon no one expected a tree to be the next to feel the heart stone. For centuries a wise tree standing atop Mt.Haggon grew not only up but down as its roots inched their way towards the heart stone. When the trees touched the heart stone they not only gained magic but they also gained life. The first tree simply named himself "Lord" he cared not for the power the goblins and elves were so quick to seek out, all Lord cared about was the survival of his people. So while no political changes happened the Woodfolk, as they came to be called, several environmental changes took effect. The Woodfolk brought nature into cities and made all of Turli a prosperous green landscape with rich and fertile soil. This came to be known as the Crusade of the Wild.

During this time of nature a wicked race that became known for deceit and treachery stole the heat stone from Mr.Haggon under the dark of night. When the Gnomes first gained magic noone knew, for years they tried to keep it hidden but soon rumors about a few gnomes drunkenly creating fireballs spread until everyone knew it was the gnomes who had the heartstone although they still denied it. The gnomes used magic too hide their faces, claiming that they were goblins or elves so that they could secretly secure their place in the government. Then one day all the gnomes stopped the charade and suddenly the world was run by gnomes. The Goblins and Elves refused too accept their stolen power. Soon a war began, the Woodfolk remained neutral until the Gnomes began removing trees to clear a path for their armies. With the Woodfolk siding with Goblins and Elves the Gnomes were attacked and defeated into submission. This age of treachery is known as the Crusade of Lies.

During the war against the Gnomes the Humans made a contract with the Goblins offering help in exchange for magic. After the Gnomes were defeated the Goblins were true to their word and they led the Human General, Richard Vonpatrick, to the newly recovered heart stone. The humans were low in numbers due to the massive casualties from the war against the Gnomes. They simply did not have the numbers too assume positions of power in the government, instead they used this new power to create a highly organized criminal element in Turli. The Goblins came to regret giving the humans this power. This period is officially known as The Crusade of Man although by some it is called the Crusade of Scoundrels.

As time moved on the Humans became more and more assimilated into respectable society, and some came to hold leadership positions in the government. However Humans still ran organized crime in Turli. For a great time Humans learned their new place in society, until a small band of six Kobolds, seeking glory for their race, attempted to retrieve the heart stone from the capital city. Five of the Kobolds died on this mission but the sole survivor, Klicklic did not gold a grudge against the goverment. Instead she merely wanted her people to be treated as equals. She wanted peace and equality and due to diplomacy and maturity thats what she got. This began a new crusade known as The Crusade of Peace.

The Crusade of Peace ended when a blight was moving across the land, this blight did not kill its victims but they were not alive either. Instead they were something new a strange new breed emerged from this blight. Known as Vamyn this disease only affected humans and elves. Eventually the Vamyn curse spread to the capital where the Woodfolk reminded all of their creation and their transition from mindlessness to becoming their own species. A plan was then formed by the Geomancers to attempt to give the Vamyn a limited access to the heart stone, enough too give them sentience but not enough to give them magic. Unfortunately thats not how the heart stone works, the Vampyn were then brought into the world as their own race with their own magic. The Vampyn then immediately used their magic to try and gain their own power. When they failed by themselves they aligned with the Gnomes who made a second run for power. This sparked a war which lasted longer than any war before it, 500 years. The war lasted all of the crusade, historians call this period The Crusade of the Dead.

The Crusade of the Dead wasn't ended by one side conquering the other, instead it was ended by the Dwarves, who had maintained a strong policy of isolation before this. Rose from their underground nation when the Vampyn attacked them for not joining them. The Dwarves, being naturally resistant to magic, asserted their dominance over the Vampyn and the Gnomes but also the Goverment's armies. After ending the war most of the dwarfs returned to their underground home while some remained topside to live in this bright new world.

Organizations:
Government- This massive organization is the main government of the world and provides citizens with protection and order. The government splits the population into two castes, the lowers caste is made up of all the races without magical affinity, they are treated as second class citizens by members of the upper class, they must live in separate portions of the city and cannot own land, the upper class is comprised of the races which can use magic. Half breeds are treated as to be in the caste of their highest cast parent.

Races:

Dwarves

Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Resistant to Magic: Dwarves have been living around the heart stone for years before the Goblins got a hold of it. But they never received magical inspiration from it, this is because of the Dwarves natural resistance to magic. Whenever a dwarf would be affected by a spell or spell-like ability they have a 75% chance to be unaffected by the spell. Because of this however Dwarves cannot cast magic themselves. They can still use magical items.
Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal
LA +1

Elves
+2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
Medium size.
An elf’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects. (Not reflected in the saving throw modifiers given here.)
Low-light vision.
Weapon Proficiency: Elves are automatically proficient with the longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
+2 CL on all Conjuration spells
Automatic Languages: Common, Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan.
Favored Class: Wizard
LA +1

Gnomes

+2 Charisma, -2 Strength.
Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A gnome’s base land speed is 20 feet.
Low-light vision.
Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
Add +2 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
+2 CL for all Illusion spells
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against goblins and elves
+2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
+2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
Favored Class: Bard
LA +1

Goblins
+2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
+2 CL on Transmutation spells
A goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Geomancer
LA+1

Humans
Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Human base land speed is 30 feet.
Humans recieve a +2 on the CL of their Divination spells.
1 extra feat at 1st level.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count
LA +1

Kobolds
-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+2 CL on Enchantment Spells
Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate checks.
Special Qualities : Light sensitivity.
Automatic Languages:Common, Draconic. Bonus Language: Undercommon.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.
LA +1

Vampyn

Vampyn have an affinity for darkness and the night, as such when they are reduced to 0 or fewer hit points during the night time they don't die and are merely unconscious. This includes when their hit points are less than -10 as well as death effects. During the day they die and become unconscious normally.
+2 CL on Necromancy spells
LA+1

Woodfolk

+2 AC
+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity
Powerful Build (as Goliath)
Woodfolk do not need to eat, instead they must spend at least 5 hours a day in sunlight.
LA+1

Required Homebrew (havent done yet):

Class: Geomancer. Geomancers in Tuli dont use earth magic in the traditional manner, instead they study the heart stone and its connection to earth much like a wizard would, but instead of using spells Geomancers harness raw magical energy
Orginizations

Interesting Notes:

People worship those who touched the heart stone as their deities and some simply worship the heart stone, these are the only gods in the world
Dragons and other magical creatures who haven't touched the heart stone are not magical
Other races exist but are treated as second class citizens, they can choose to have a bloodline to a magical race at character creation and be able to cast magic

I appreciate any and all critique

Moofaa
2011-01-04, 05:46 PM
This sounds pretty good.

I'd consider creating a secret, organization of some race that hasn't been able to reach the stone which is always plotting ways to steal it. Alternatively they could be wanting to find a way to create a stone of their own.

Create an organization that, for whatever reason, deems magic to be unnatural or evil, and seeks to destroy the stone.

I'd address what the gods (if there are any) think about such a item. Was it a gift from the heavens? Perhaps they are jealous that mortals now posess magical powers, which they didn't have before (presumably because the gods forbid magic).

Perhaps there is another stone, that can remove the powers either from individuals or entire races.

In fact, I could see an entire campaign based around stealing both stones, with the idea that if they ever touch one another both would be annihilated.

Doctor Acula
2011-01-04, 05:50 PM
I haven't even started thinking about organizations yet, those are definitely some good ideas though.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-04, 05:58 PM
Everything looks spot-on to me, though I have some gripes with the fluff (nothing wrong with it mind you, just taste). This, however, struck out at me:

The gnomes used magic too hide their faces, claiming that they were gnomes.

Arathnos
2011-01-04, 05:59 PM
I like the idea. It has a lot of potential to be both inherently familiar and yet different and exciting at the same time.

My only real nitpick with the story right now is that, to me, 'Crusade' doesn't feel like an appropriate word to describe the different eras. Maybe that is just my preference, and if so, I'll let it go, but crusade by its definition is aggressive. It is a vigorous, sometimes violent advancement of one's cause or the defense of said cause. Not to say that every crusade needs to mean a blood bath, but the Crusade of Peace feels awkward and somewhat contradictory to me.

Doctor Acula
2011-01-04, 06:11 PM
Everything looks spot-on to me, though I have some gripes with the fluff (nothing wrong with it mind you, just taste). This, however, struck out at me:
Thanks for pointing out the typo :smallsmile: when I was writing it up I kept switching goblins and gnomes by accident.

Also, if you dont mind what gripes with the fluff as I am trying too find ways to make it better.

I like the idea. It has a lot of potential to be both inherently familiar and yet different and exciting at the same time.

My only real nitpick with the story right now is that, to me, 'Crusade' doesn't feel like an appropriate word to describe the different eras. Maybe that is just my preference, and if so, I'll let it go, but crusade by its definition is aggressive. It is a vigorous, sometimes violent advancement of one's cause or the defense of said cause. Not to say that every crusade needs to mean a blood bath, but the Crusade of Peace feels awkward and somewhat contradictory to me.
I can definitely see that, in gameplay and roleplay however I don't think it will come up enough to be a real problem. Maybe switching it to Empire?

Arathnos
2011-01-04, 06:21 PM
Eh, if it doesn't truly bother you or you don't think it will come up, just go with it. Do whatever feels right to the theme for you. Empire would work, although that has the problem of implying a specifically aligned government that you may not want people to interpret.

Here are some possible others off the top of my head.

Reign
Time

Age is used quite often, as is Era. Time might be nice, As in the Time of Peace, Time of the Immortals. However my personal favorite is Reign.

I like it's strong implication of power and dominance. The group controlling the heart stone ascends to a position of magical dominance. even failures such as the Gnomes, who become more powerful than the non-magical races. But maybe I am just being far too picky :smallwink:

Doctor Acula
2011-01-05, 12:56 PM
I put the preliminary concepts for the races up, I'd love some input

Mayhem
2011-01-05, 09:01 PM
Hi Doctor Acula,

This is a really cool world concept, I'm digging it.

Alright, now let me critique your race crunch so far.

Dwarves: This magic resistance is really powerful, not worth only +1 LA. I'm not sure if you thought it through yet, but in order to be effected by magic you have to fail your saves first. Thus, this 75% resistance is really powerful and equates to much more than 75%. In a world where practically ever man and his dog have magical ability this is becomes much more useful too. I would recommend modelling them on Drow, with a spell resistance. Thank the gods dwarves are lawful and can't be Paladins ;). B
eyond this, they're much like other dwarves without those lame sworn enemy bonuses dwarves normally get.
Oh, and also; why don't dwarves get any ability modifiers? That's kinda interesting.

Elves: A penalty to STR doesn't hurt casters at all, but hey they're LA+1 so that's ok. A +2 CL to conjuration spells? Well this is pretty weak for a LA+1 race, for one thing that forces them into taking at least a dip into a caster class. I think they need something to boost their power up to LA+1, I'm thinking some spell like abilities. How about cast summon monster 1, and perhaps a few others? That fits with their whole magical nature going on here, although it steps on the gnome's toes a little but maybe that's cool. Also, maybe another ability score bonus, such as dexterity or something would round them out a bit, I mean look at aasimar and tiefling they get more than this elf yet they're still regarded as weak +1 races.

Gnomes: The caster level thing is same as elves. You mentioned they use alter self to hide themselves? Well perhaps you can give them alter self or diguise self as a spell like ability, certainly makes them a much more shady race. Also a bonus to diplomacy, sense motive and buff would be pretty fitting.

Goblins: Same deal as the elves really. Also, since they're the original masters of magic, I don't see how they need a bonus to move silently and ride, unless perhaps you're planning a whole "elves betrayed us so now we live as wild men and raiders" thing. Which is cool and all, but that kinda ruins the setting and besides anyone can do that if they want to fit this backstory into their campaign. These skills are fine and all, but I think you need to add another skill bonus or something to sort of differentiate them from their former selves like a +2 concentrate check or something.
Perhaps you can give them mage hand, message, and spider climb 1/day.
Not sure how you will differentiate them from elves furthur though, maybe a +2 CON while elves get a +2 DEX? Or maybe even a +2 WIS bonus to show their more mature affinty with the heartstone.

Humans: Same deal, I suggest a +2 bonus to an ability score of their choice I suppose. I'm really not sure what you can do with the humans, but if they've all turned to mischief then I suggest some sort of special ability that helps or promotes that path. I'm thinking they could have luck where they can reroll any check once a day but they have to take the new result. They could also have premonition, granting them a +2 bonus to any one check once a day but they have to announce they're using this before they make the roll. Fits with the whole divination angle I suppose.

Kobolds: I'm feeling you could give them calm animals, calm emotions, and rage 1/day. Fits with their mindset when they claimed magic power. Also while rage is a third level spell, it's pretty weak and it gives them that orc feel to them.

Vampyn: These guys are still undead correct? Well then, that makes them pretty powerful already, but they're pretty bland. Maybe give them a slam attack, a turn resistance, and maybe a a diet craving such as the undead in libris mortis? Maybe every 3 days without sating this hunger calls for a will save or suffer 2d4 WIS damage. Starving Vampyn would become as zombies like their unenlightened brethren. Some skill bonuses would be pretty cool just as some extra fluff.

Woodfolk: Pretty nice, but I'm assuming they'll still count as plants giving them immunity to poisons and spells that effect humanoids? That should make them +1, the imunities are nice but poison and charms become redundant at higher levels of play anyway where spells aren't so limited in effect.

All in all, pretty nice I think. You followed the books a little too closely with the elves and co, but hey that's cool you said these were only rough. Let me know if I missed something or got the wrong idea, theres a lot of stuff to go through here.

Cheers,
Mayhem

Doctor Acula
2011-01-05, 10:28 PM
General book closeness: I never have really homebrewed a race before so most of it was a copy and paste the book versions of the race, make some small skill bonus changes and then add the CL bonus. Ideally I would like to make another race specializing in evocation as well but i am not 100% sure what I want to do about that though.

Dwarves: I always found that the drow SR was too weak for its level, and isnt removing the ability to cast any spells an equal trade? Im not sure

Vampyn: I thought they would be undead in fluff but not in mechanics because that might be too good. I feel the not dying mechanic is very good, worth LA +1 by itself. If you dont think thats good enough then Ill add the undead type

Woodfolk: more of the same about the plant type, but that was mostly because I forgot there was a plant type. I like the idea of giving them a plant type.

Mayhem
2011-01-05, 11:01 PM
Definitely a good idea to use the books as a guideline :smallwink:
But they are under powered for LA+1. Of course, you could always just call them LA+0 and leave it at that, but you'd have some issues with say dwarves and woodfolk, unless you rule them out as NPC only.

Dwarves: well I dunno, the drow spell resistance is pretty good at first but I guess it gets weaker later on. Not being able to cast spells isn't worth a 75% magic resistance for only +1 LA IMO. I'm not too sure here on how to fit the fluff into a race that's still at least reasonably balance with the others.

As for the Woodkin and Vampyn, yeah I looked up the types and again and maybe they're a bit too powerful. Perhaps something akin to the living construct type is required here? Although the Necropolitan from Libirs Mortis gets the undead type for only what amounts to a LA+1.
As for the vampyn not dying, this is much better for a PC I think, and I'm pretty sure I underestimated it. I didn't think of the whole friends casting heal spells on the vampyn thing. Maybe if you add some more weaknesses it could be balanced out, such as the hunger and maybe some vampire weakness like having the head removed or something.

EDIT: Immunity to critical hits for the plant and undead is a bit much for a race with LA+1 I think. Maybe light fortification like the warforged instead?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-06, 10:13 PM
Also, if you dont mind what gripes with the fluff as I am trying too find ways to make it better.

Nothing big, as I said, but the whole history of the campaign gave me the impression that magic was a new thing, and I liked that. You made magic fresh again. But by the time you get down to the end of it, eveyone is running around with it, and it's lost the flare it started out with.

If I were you, I would do 2 things (Ignore these if you will, as they are what I would do, and I am quite possibly insane.)

Have the Dwarves be the overlying villainous race t/o the campaign. They're tired of all this magic non-sense, and wish to destroy the Heart Stone, briggining things back into the ways they were before. (Thought, how did the Dwarves know they were imune/resitant to magic?)

The other thing is just ignore everyhting after the 1st Crusade (I agree with the fist post in which it was said Crusade doesn't feel like the correct word) and have Goblins be Power Crazed tryrants where the players are rebels.

But thats just me.