PDA

View Full Version : 4e Homebrew Lizardfolk, Help Needed!

Tiniere
2011-01-05, 05:01 PM
My gaming group is fairly new to 4e, however that didn't stop one of my most energetic players from working on a homebrew race to fill the scaly hole in his heart. We've seen a few other lizardfolk homebrews around the net but this is the one he sent me and I am hoping for advice on changes or balancing issues if any are present. Thank you in advance!

Great Jaw Lizardfolk
Average Height: 6’2’’ – 7’0’’
Average Weight: 180 – 300lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Consitution,+2 Strength or +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6, swim 6
Vision:Low-light

Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealth, +2 Endurance
Reptillian: Your race is reptillian and is cold-blooded. You have the reptile keyword, so you are considered a reptile for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.

Swamp Walking: You ignore difficult terrain caused by bog, mud,shallow water or overgrown vegatation.

Enduring Breath: You can hold your breath for 10 rounds (rather than 5 rounds) before you need to make endurance checks. Additionally, you don't need to make endurance checks to hold your breath in strenuous situations.

Power Jaw:you can use Power jaw as an at-will power

Power Jaw Lizardfolk Racial Power

"Youre powerful jaws clamp down on your prey."

At-Will
Minor Action melee attack
Target: One Creature.
Attack:Strength +2 Vs AC
Hit: 1d8+ Strength Damage.
Special: At Paragon levels the attack damage increases to 2d8. At Epic levels the attack damage increases to 3d8.

EDIT: I've had the player add some fluff and information about the species he's trying to construct. Hopefully this makes it easier to come up with more advice.

Biology:
True to their human-given title of "Great Jaw" these aquatic lizardfolk strongly resemble crocodilians. They have elongated heads supported by thick powerful neck muscles. The actual mouth takes up almost the entire length of the head and is filled with dozens of strong serrated teeth. When the creature closes its mouth the teeth are still visible, fitting into groves in the opposite jaw. Like their animal relatives the muscles that open their mouth are far weaker than those that close it.

Their backs are covered in thick scales that overlap eachother creating a waterproof layer that also assists in camoflage. The belly scales are even larger but not as hard or rough, Great Jaw warriors often wear armor that covers their chest and abdomen to guard this vulnerable region. Their overall scale colouration ranges from dark green to black, brown or even grey.

When in water Great Jaw Lizardfolk swim easily by using their powerful tails to push through the water. Hunting parties often lay in the shallows waiting for prey, leaping out of the water using both their legs and tail to propell themselves out of the water and onto the surprised victim.

Culture:
Constantly in conflict with humans, the Great Jaw lizardfolk do not have much in the way of art in their culture. They train children either as warriors or craftsmen. Men are preffered as warriors but females are not discriminated against. Tribes are typically ruled by a Matriach who often serves as a spiritual leader. Magic other than that given by primal spirits is extremely rare amongst these tribes and they have little time for arcane study. However their warriors are very varried in their training and techniques and the race as a whole has proven masterful of battlefield tactics. Often outmaneuvering human troops without terrain advantage.

Most Great Jaws keep to their tribes and families, preffering to protect their homes from human interfearence and conquest, however some set out into the world to become heroes when they are left with no home to return to or when their matriarch suggests they learn more about the world around them. As a people, the Great Jaws are slowly becoming more involved in the affairs of the world, though not so much as any common race. Stories of heroes scaly and bold have started to arise.

Noteable Organisations:
Greymarsh Wardens
When the common races came to the swamps and the bogs of Gondorand the aquatic races banded together to protect the lands from the invaders. The cheiftans and other tribes leaders of the land formed an order of elite warriors who would combat the newfound "plague". They pledge an oath to the primal spirits,the spirits in turn them great powers far beyond that of the their races.

Shadow_Elf
2011-01-05, 06:20 PM
I find it difficult to review a homebrew I have made an equivalent for, but I was going to try to work with the bones you've got here rather than just say "use mine". However, without knowing the fluff of Lizardfolk in this setting, I didn't know what alternative features to suggest. I can say this; as written, its underpowered. The At-Will power is totally useless, and the features are mediocre at best. If you're interested in seeing the mechanics I used for swamp-dwelling Lizardfolk, you can check out the Hourglass of Zihaja Campaign Setting, currently releasing in this very forum.

If you'd rather start from scratch, I am going to need more fluff to use as a base for my advice :smalltongue:.

Tiniere
2011-01-05, 08:18 PM
I find it difficult to review a homebrew I have made an equivalent for, but I was going to try to work with the bones you've got here rather than just say "use mine". However, without knowing the fluff of Lizardfolk in this setting, I didn't know what alternative features to suggest. I can say this; as written, its underpowered. The At-Will power is totally useless, and the features are mediocre at best. If you're interested in seeing the mechanics I used for swamp-dwelling Lizardfolk, you can check out the Hourglass of Zihaja Campaign Setting, currently releasing in this very forum.

If you'd rather start from scratch, I am going to need more fluff to use as a base for my advice :smalltongue:.

Thank you! I edited it a bit, and checked out your example it's brilliant. We decided to go in a more crocodilian direction. Please give more feedback and advice when you have the time! Thank you again!

Shadow_Elf
2011-01-06, 10:00 PM
Here's my suggestion on the racial power:

Power Jaw
You unleash a quick bite, savaging your foe
Encounter *
Minor Action Melee 1
Target: One Creature
Attack: Strength, Dexterity or Constitution +2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + strength, dexterity or constitution modifier damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Special: Increase the attack bonus to +4 and the dice damage to 2d8 at level 11 and increase them to +6 and 3d8 respectively at level 21.

Next these folk need better passive benefits. I like the ones they've already got, but they could use maybe one more good bonus. Maybe their greater understanding of tactics gives them something like this?

Snapping Reaction: You cannot be flanked by an enemy who grants combat advantage to you.