PDA

View Full Version : Grappling in 4e

NineThePuma
2011-01-06, 03:38 PM
What's a good PHB1 grapple build? Is it even possible to make a good grappler?

Oracle_Hunter
2011-01-06, 03:53 PM
PHB3 Brawler Fighter. There is no Grapple support in PHB1.

Note that Grappling doesn't work like it does in 3.X. Why do you want to play a Grappler?

EDIT: You really should be using DDI anyhow. That gives you access to all the books published, a (now buggy) Character Builder and a Monster Builder for the DM. Split 4 ways, you can have it for a year for $20 or a month for $2.50 apiece. (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Subscription.aspx)

If the DM is suspicious about Balance Issues, tell him not to worry. If uses DDI (which automatically incorporates Errata) he has nothing to worry about. If he's still nervous, tell him just to ban Dragon Magazine stuff and Hybrid Classes (a PHB 3 concept).

NineThePuma
2011-01-06, 03:54 PM
Mostly to be crazy in our crazy non-serious game.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-01-06, 03:57 PM
Mostly to be crazy in our crazy non-serious game.
Then no.

The best you can do is a Brutal Rogue who only uses a single dagger. There are a few Rogue powers that incorporate a grapple.

MeeposFire
2011-01-06, 04:03 PM
The brawling fighter is in Martial Power 2 not the PHB3 (which is full of psionic, divine, and primal heroes).

The brawler fighter is wonderful in all levels of play. If you are lucky you may be able to find MP2 in a local library. I know that I can get one in Ohio you never know until you look.

I like my brawlers with spiked gauntlets. Dual wielded or with a light shield on the side (rhythm blade spiked shied of course, I like to be able to hold things in my shield hand).

Oracle_Hunter
2011-01-06, 04:06 PM
The brawling fighter is in Martial Power 2 not the PHB3 (which is full of psionic, divine, and primal heroes).
This is, of course, correct :smallredface:

Dimers
2011-01-07, 10:16 AM
There are also druid beastform powers that grab on a hit. I only have the three PHB books to work with, and I see two encounter powers and a daily that grab. E.g. latch on, a third-level encounter power which can penalize escape rolls by your Dex mod. Nice if you want to work out some sort of rogue/druid combination.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-07, 10:25 AM
What's a good PHB1 grapple build?
PHB1? Play a wizard with Bigby's Grasping Hand.

Is it even possible to make a good grappler?
As far as I've noticed, no. At least, there are a few powers with grapple-related names that are useful, but the grabbed condition in and of itself doesn't do all that much. You're better off playing a tripper or pusher.