PDA

View Full Version : Vectoring

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-06, 07:57 PM
How come, when I vectorize an organization XIII member from Kingdom Hearts, inkscape is fine, but when I vectorize a chibi sketch I made inkscape freezes for a few minutes between everything I do, no matter how small?

Emperor Ing
2011-01-06, 07:58 PM
Because Inkscape doesn't approve of your chibi.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-06, 07:59 PM
It's so cute, though! :smallyuk:

Haruki-kun
2011-01-06, 11:31 PM
"Vectorizing" here meaning automatically vectorizing a bitmap? Inkscape's vectorize function isn't that good for it. Illustrator's is pretty good... but you have to pay for it and all that.

Usually, for vectorizing, it's reccomended to do it manually.

Teutonic Knight
2011-01-06, 11:40 PM
How do you vectorize?, is the question.

As in where in the button or menu for it in Inkscape?

Herpestidae
2011-01-07, 02:17 PM
Tracing in inkscape is done with Shift Alt B. It's actually rather flawed. It treats the edges as fills instead of strokes. I don't really use it.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-07, 05:03 PM
My little chibi character is in the arts and crafts thread. I found out that INKSCAPE HATES THE BLUR TOOL. I was able to finish the monk and start on my assassin.

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-07, 06:28 PM
Inkscape loves its blur tool, that's why it tries to spend as much time as possible with it when you use it...

Trazoi
2011-01-07, 06:50 PM
Tracing in inkscape is done with Shift Alt B. It's actually rather flawed. It treats the edges as fills instead of strokes. I don't really use it.
I've been meaning to play around with that as a method for converting scans of pencilled images in Inkscape vector format, bypassing my inability to use ink pens effectively. I'm hoping if I stick to a single tone (i.e. black lines only) it will useful as an alternative to using the calligraphy tool.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-09, 09:24 PM
I've been meaning to play around with that as a method for converting scans of pencilled images in Inkscape vector format, bypassing my inability to use ink pens effectively. I'm hoping if I stick to a single tone (i.e. black lines only) it will useful as an alternative to using the calligraphy tool.

Be warned that scans convert what in paper looks like a neat continuous line into a bunch of bits slapped together, this mixed with Inkscape's alredy imprecise tool it could be more work than it's worh it.

Heck, even in fireworks were the tool for that (Magic wand ->Conver marquee to path) is pretty good is prone to fail at scans

Haruki-kun
2011-01-10, 10:42 AM
The only time I've ever seen a vectorize tool work is on Illustrator, with a screenshot from an anime. It made neat lines and only needed as bit of manual weaking. It did make a lot of lines, though... a continuous line in the screenshot was turned into several lines put together instead of one. I guess I would say Illustrator did a pretty good job at it.

Oh, and this goes without saying, but don't try to vectorize photographs. That... won't work.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-10, 03:45 PM
The only time I've ever seen a vectorize tool work is on Illustrator, with a screenshot from an anime. It made neat lines and only needed as bit of manual weaking. It did make a lot of lines, though... a continuous line in the screenshot was turned into several lines put together instead of one. I guess I would say Illustrator did a pretty good job at it.

WEll, if you tweak the outline formed it's pretty easy, Fireworks also get it as a vector path, but it's annoying when there are lot lines.

Oh, and this goes without saying, but don't try to vectorize photographs. That... won't work.

Yes it does, if you tweak the setting of the Magic Wand tool you can get your desired result. But again it's tiresome.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-10, 03:51 PM
WEll, if you tweak the outline formed it's pretty easy, Fireworks also get it as a vector path, but it's annoying when there are lot lines.

There aren't a lot of lines. There are several lines. It's just not a continuous line.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-10, 04:08 PM
There aren't a lot of lines. There are several lines. It's just not a continuous line.

Which method did he use?

One thing is Magic Wanding the lines and the other is magic wanding the colored spaces.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-10, 04:58 PM
Which method did he use?

One thing is Magic Wanding the lines and the other is magic wanding the colored spaces.

im confus.... :smallconfused:

I'm not talking about magic wanding anything, I'm talking about vectorizing, as in turning raster graphics into vector graphics. And I was referring to Illustrator's tool, which does that automatically.

Also, Magic Wanding generally gives messy results.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-10, 08:38 PM
Holy carptacos, that's awesome. XD

In your debt forever am I. *bows*

*saves them somewhere secret and safe until the 23rd*

Isn't that done in most programs through magic wand->Convert marquee to path?