PDA

View Full Version : Hallucinations & Distractions?

RndmNumGen
2011-01-07, 05:24 PM
I'm working on a small module for my campaign and one of the monsters I want to have the PCs fight is a sentient plant that lures in prey using illusions and then fights using a combination of hallucinogenic spores and indirect attacks to distract it's victims and make it difficult to fight the actual threat. I was paging through the SRD, but I didn't find much pre-existing content other than maybe the Dazzled status effect, though that seems a little weak for what I'm going for. Anyone have a good idea how to make this work? I was going for a CR around 5-6, 2-3 from physical ability and the remainder from the hallucinations.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-07, 08:32 PM
Well, I came up with this. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it should work... maybe.

Arae Flower
Large Plant
8d8+8 (40 hp)
Initiative +0
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +8 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+8
Attack: Tentacle +8 melee (1d8+2 plus Wisdom Drain)
Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +8 melee (1d8+2 plus Wisdom Drain)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Poison Gas, Wisdom Drain, Spell-Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Plant Traits, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron, Fast Healing 1, Blindsight 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 0, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18
Environment: Temperate Forests
Organization: Solitary or Patch (2-3)
Challenge Rating: 5th
Treasure: 1/10th coins; 50% goods; 50% items.
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: 9-20 HD (Huge)

Poison Gas
15 ft. cone, three every 8 hours, inhaled; 1d4 Wis/2d4 Wis damage, Will DC 15

Spell-Like Abilities
3/day – Lesser Confusion, Silent Image, Charm Person (DC 14). 1/day – Barkskin, Mirror Image, Obscuring Mist. Caster Level 5th.

Wisdom Drain
The Arae Flower deals 1 point of wisdom drain each time it hits with either it's tentacle or touch attack.

Hyooz
2011-01-07, 09:38 PM
You could probably just say Hallucinogenic Spores are some illusion spell, but with a Fort save instead of Will. It's probably the easiest way to handle hallucinations.