PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Initiator?

mootoall
2011-01-07, 06:47 PM
How would the playground build something like this? I'm personally not a fan of readying ... well, anything. Preparing spells and such bothers me, especially for a PbP game. So, how would you go about building a class that spontaneously initiates? Let's say the analogue to the swordsage?

Pyromancer999
2011-01-07, 06:51 PM
I suppose you'd give it less maneuvers and more maneuver slots, for starters.

Golden-Esque
2011-01-07, 06:57 PM
The Crusader mechanic is rather similar to spontaneously initiating maneuvers; you don't ready anything, you just randomly generate the maneuver as being active.

woodenbandman
2011-01-08, 12:24 AM
Well if you can't handle choosing ~half of your maneuvers to use in a given day, i'd suggest that you just not go for an initiator. You're pretty much a spontaneous caster as it is.

Xefas
2011-01-08, 12:38 AM
You could basically make the Warlock analogue for initiators (i.e. Wizard -> Warlock, Swordsage -> [Your Class]). Have a small list of maneuvers that don't need to be readied or recovered; you just use them at-will all the time whenever. Balance it by very limited selection of disciplines, a small number of maneuvers known, and a 3/4 BAB like the Swordsage.

Nero24200
2011-01-08, 06:11 AM
You would probably need to trim some manuevers as well. Theres a few which, whilst not overpowering on their own, can be problematic if they can be used round after round. The current manuever system for the three classes pretty much prevents any manuever being used two rounds in a row.

AustontheGreat1
2011-01-08, 07:26 AM
Might actually give it a large number of low level maneuvers, like to a maximum of 5th or 6th level, and let it use them at will, but it never gets higher level ones. Or make a list specialized maneuver-like options that the class can pick at each level, like a warlock.