PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hitting specific parts of a monster

Scorpions__
2011-01-08, 09:54 PM
I always tell my players that they can't shoot specific parts of a monster because it unbalances the challenge rating system. I just tell them that their always aiming for the eyes or the head, or whatever, and that critical hits represent those lucky shots. But they want more.

So, is there any good homebrew kicking around for a system that could be applied to 3.5 to allow called shots?

DM[F]R

Mulletmanalive
2011-01-09, 01:56 PM
here are OGL rules for basically this in Swashbuckling Adventures by AEG; it's pretty damn brutal though, as will any other option you include be

Dramatic Criticals:
Before you make an attack against an opponent you may declare that you are extcnding the critical threat range of your weapon up to +5. However you also incur a critical failure range equal to the bonus starting from 1 up to 5. When you make the attack roll, if the roll on the die is falls within the critical failure range (equal to or less than the bonus to the threat range), you suffer a critical failure. Unlike a potential critical hit, there is no secondary roll to "back up" the critical failure; it is just a critical failure.

When you suffer a critical failure you are considered flatfooted until your next turn; your current turn ceases and play continues to the next character. Additionally, if you are in melee combat, you draw an attack of opportunity from any and all opponents whose threatened area you occupy. This attack of opportunity does not count against any of their attacks of opportunity for the round. Furthermore, this bonus number that you took to increase your critical threat range increases the threat range of the opponent's weapons when they take this attack of opportunity against you.

Called Shots:
When you roll an attack and score a critical hit, you may instead of multiplying the damage by the weapon's Critical Multiplier - declare a called shot. Choose one of the effects below. Some may have a prerequisite that you must meet before you may use the effect. The effect of the called shot follows that. Finally any extraordinary restrictions or rules are listed under the Special segment.

Called Shot to the Arm:
You land a blow against your opponent's arm, which will render it useless.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus 2+.
Effect: +ld4 points of damage. -4 penalty to all checks and attack rolls made with the wounded arm for 1d6 rounds unless healed. The opponent drops anything held in that arm and is considered immediately disarmed.
Special: You may not injure an arm equipped with a shield.

Called Shot to the Eye:
You land a strike against the opponent's eye or near the eye which will either destroy it, or fill it with so much blood that he is essentially blind for the time being.
Prerequisite: Base Arrack Bonus +10.
Effect: +1d6 points of damage. -4 penalty to all attack rolls and Reflex saves, -10 ft, from Base Speed, -4 penalty to all Dexterity based checks. All effects (except bonus damage) last for 1d6 hours unless healed.
Special: If an opponent suffers two called shots to the eye, the opponent is essentially blinded after the 1d6 hours have elapsed, the opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 15) to return his eyesight to normal. If the rolls fails, the opponent loses the use of his eye unless a regeneration spell or similar effect is applied.

Called Shot to the Groin:
You land the classic "scoundrel's choice" blow to the crotch.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +2
Effects: The opponent is staggered and may only take partial actions for 1d6 rounds unless healed.

Called Shot to the Gut:
You land a shot to the gut that will kill a man slowly over a long period of time.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +4
Effect: +1d4 points of damage and the opponent takes 1d2 damage every half hour for 5d6 hours unless healed.

Called Shot to the Head:
You land a stunning blow to the top of the opponent's head.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +8
Effect: +1d4 damage. Opponent is stunned and flat-footed for 1d4 rounds. Anyone attacking the opponent will receive a +2 circumstance bonus to their attack.

Called Shot to the Throat:
You land a potentially fatal blow to your opponent's throat, either crushing their windpipe, or cutting one of the major blood vessels.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +12
Effect: +1d6 points of damage. Opponent is stunned and flatfooted. Furthermore, the opponent must make a Fort save [DC equal to your Strength or Dexterity score, whichever modifier you are adding to your attack roll] or begin suffering the effects of drowning [see the DMG].

Called Shot to the Leg:
You land a blow against your opponent's leg that will cripple his movement.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +2
Effect: +1d4 points of damage. Base speed is halved [round up]. -4 penalty to all Climb and Swim checks. All effects [except bonus damage] last for 1d6 rounds

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The above materials are OGC and reproduced above with the express permission of AEG as per the "Goodies" section of the Swashbuckling Adventures Open Games License.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I don't personally use these but i allow my players to attempt sunder attacks against he natural weapons of monsters, including breath weapons and such. These weapons have a hardness of 1 + the creature's size bonus to grapple and a number of hp equal to the beast's Constitution.

Debihuman
2011-01-10, 08:00 AM
Let the players tell you they want to hit a monster in place X and you describe how the blow affects the monster. It's not so much a new mechanic but a description. They want to hear you describe how the monster's arm breaks as it takes 6 points of damage or that rivers of blood flow from its wounded leg. Adding some imagery to the battles always makes it a little more exciting.

That does NOT mean that they sever a body part just because they hit it successfully with a "called shot." A successful head shot with a standard weapon should not imitate using a vorpal weapon. If you start allowing that, you'll have all kinds of headaches as a DM. Your players will demand that all monsters have a called shot vulnerability of some type.

On the other hand, you could give them the flavor of what they want but at a price. A called shot could take longer than a normal attack in return for granting a bonus to damage or it could give a Circumstance bonus if successful and a morale penalty if it fails. There needs to be some checks and balances in place so that the players don't rely on this instead of normal attacks. Another way to implement a called shot is to have it take place only if the attack is a critical hit. This will automatically limit its use in game.

Creatures immune to critical hits and creatures with no discernible anatomy would be immune to called shots. Furthermore, as was previously mentioned, do you want to add special consequences to a creature that is on the receiving end of a called shot? You'll have to decide how the monsters will use these attacks. what does it mean for a PC if the monster makes a called shot?

If the players make a called shot to the eyes of a monster what happens when the monster returns the favor? Somehow, it always strikes me that players forget that their PCs can be on the receiving end of a called shot.

Torn Asunder: Critical Hits by Bastion Press has rules for adding called shots. If you are interested in adding that level of complexity to your game, you might want to look into it.

Debby

Serpentine
2011-01-10, 08:20 AM
Debihuman makes a good point: you don't need a new mechanic just to be nice and descriptive in their attacks.

Me, though, I have two things I tend to do, although they're not really "rules".
First, if a character makes a critical hit or fumble, I get them to tell me where they were aiming and tailor the critical accordingly. Say, for example, they say they were aiming for the head. Critical hit: "your hammer crashes down on his head, denting his helmet and fracturing his skull. His eyes cross for a moment. He'll have a -2 penalty to his next attack." Critical miss (but would have hit their flat-footed AC): "you strike the helmet at an awkward angle, and your hammer bounces back at your own head. Roll Dex".
That sorta thing.

Second, I have an informal system in which a player can choose to aim at a particular body part, the Armour Class of which I will increase according to its size. If they miss, they will probably just get a normal body hit. If they hit, they may get to inflict some sort of penalty, if they hit hard enough and/or deal enough damage.
This is sure to be breakable in the right hands, but it's not an issue in my games. In fact, I really wish they'd use it more often...