PDA

View Full Version : Magic Untamed (IC)

Invelios
2011-01-11, 03:22 PM
Arriving in this small town you see a surprisingly well-kept bar named the Mended Drum. It is by far the nicest building in the ramshackle town.

You notice most of the townsfolk are dressed in dirty/drab deteriorating clothes, and seem like their spirits have been beaten.

The local Militia on the other hand seems to be fit, well fed, and outfitted with only the best and most pristine gear. The leader of this band has deep black hair a long fu manchu style goatee, and a scar running around his neck. The majority of them have congregate on the porch and balcony of the Mended Drum.

Along the streets you see other establishments and houses, but nothing extraordinary. The town is made up of rudimentary wooden buildings and Reinforced tents. The road is a dirt (Knowledge nature/geology dc 25 for those with knowledge nature or geology the dirt is clay/sand mixture about 60/40.) and there are a few sparse trees around the town as well.

You enter from either of 4 directions, Northwest after crossing a stream at a small stone bridge. Southeast passing through grazing land. Southwest you would have passed the Windmill that seems to be processing grain. and Northeast past farmland.

Chambers
2011-01-11, 04:37 PM
Danalis

A figure walks out of a slim, deadend alley. He stops and looks down at the mud on his boots, then sighs, shakes his head, and keeps walking towards the Mended Drum. His black hair is combed and pull backed, tied over his shoulder. The heavy, worn, brown leather coat and vest he wears are creased and show the signs of heavy use.

He stops at the steps of the tavern, glances around at the soldiers gathered there. He shakes his head. This place is a dung heap, my Lady. No, worse than a dung heap. I've seen dung heaps that were better than this place. And this militia that's standing in front of me, probably looking at me like I'm crazy because I'm just staring at them, but it looks like they're pulling the old protection run on this town.

He shifts his weight from one boot to the other. How do I know that? Because they're the only ones without mud and dung all over them, that's how.

He rolls his eyes and sighs. Yes, my Lady. No, my Lady. Of course, my Lady. As you will, my Lady. He nods his head a moment and then glances up at the guards. "Excuse me? I'd like to go inside. Is there a toll or something I have to pay first?

Greater Teleport invocation to the alley. Here's a picture of Danalis (when he's flying)
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/hoh_gallery/91989.jpg

Invelios
2011-01-11, 04:45 PM
No sir, feel free to come on in. says the obvious leader of the militia with a mild smirk on his face.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-11, 05:58 PM
Dr. Hellsing walks into the town from the farmlands, his current guise hidden by the magic of his ring, clearing away the stubble, straightening out the hair, and cleaning the skin of scars, even thining out the body to make it look less threatening. The adding of a white trench coat and spectacles to his appearance make him look more like the healer and doctor he really is rather than the warrior he was possessing. His ever present silver ring on his right hand's middle finger.

Seeing the state of the town he shakes his head, these people looked like the many villages where the 'leaders' were corrupt and used the people's work and resources without any compensation for there work. The militia, however, seemed far more well cared for. And currently someone was talking to one of them.

He walks over to the inn rather than see to the militia, at least for the moment. He needed to gather some information and the tavern was the best place to do it. He walks in and sits at the bar, looking around the tavern before ordering a mug of mead.

Chambers
2011-01-11, 08:40 PM
Danalis

"Ah, thank you." He nods to the militia leader and glances at the figure in the white trench coat, but continues to stand on the steps. "So...uh...you've got some nice gear there." Good job, master of the obvious. He shakes his head and says, "What I mean is, what's the need for such a well-organized and equipped force out here in the middle of...where are we, exactly?"

DM/All
True Seeing + Greater Arcane Sight. What's on these guys, the fellow in the white trench coat, and the town in general? Any odd or unusual magical signatures?

AmberVael
2011-01-11, 10:01 PM
With a relaxed, loping stride, Atarah makes her way into town. Traveling from the south-west, past the windmills, she makes her way past the dirty, working and downtrodden townsfolk, standing out among them. As they hunch over to do their tasks, she stands tall, her full imposing physique thrown into full contrast. She is not merely tall, but massive, standing far beyond the point of normal human height easily by a couple of feet. Her shadow is cast over the cowering peasants as she passes, her shoulders and posture confident.

Her left hand rests easily on her sword, Null. The gray blade is concealed within its leather sheathe, but its imposing size is made as clear as Atarah's- attention is likely drawn to it with the way she idly shifts its position and passes it between her hands. The ease and familiarity with which she handles it betrays her warrior nature, if it weren't already obvious.

It doesn't take her long to make her way up to the Mended Drum, at which point she halts. After all, Danalis was on the steps, and she wasn't going to just run over him. She wasn't looking for a fight at the moment, at least not with a person who hadn't provoked her.

"Hey, you're blocking the steps."
While her words are blunt, her tone is fairly genial.
"If you want to go in first so you can buy me a drink, I'll wait, but otherwise..."

A normal person might be able to get around Danalis, but Atarah is far from normal. She'll likely have to squeeze to get through the door.

Chambers
2011-01-11, 10:07 PM
Danalis

"Er? Oh, my apologies, lady." Danalis half-bows and stands to the side. He glances at the door, then at Atarah, and then at the space between all of them and sighs, stepping down off the stairs entirely and standing on the ground. "There, that should be sufficient." He says with a smile.

Vael
Any interesting auras/illusions on Atarah?

AmberVael
2011-01-11, 10:26 PM
Atarah grins as he moves all the way off the steps, well aware of just how large of a figure she has.
"Thanks."
Short and simple, but sincere.

With that, she squeezes into the bar and getting out of the way so that Danalis could reclaim his place on the steps. As she passes, it is easy to note how little equipment she carries. Either she came from nearby, or has been using magic to transport or sustain herself.

When she enters the bar, she looks for the sturdiest place to sit, having long ago learned not to trust some of the chairs set out for others. She presumably obtains a proper seat, orders a drink, and casts her blue eyes around the bar, searching it curiously for anything of interest.

Danalis:
Only three of Atarah's possessions radiate with magic, but each of those three is likely potent enough to turn Danalis's head. Her sword, amulet, and belt are each layered with enough strong enchantments to make the three of them worth a large kingdom. The amulet glitters with countless magics, while the gray sword shines with the select powers imbued in it. Her belt has the fewest enchantments of all, but is clearly the strongest of the three in magic, a peerless work of transmutation.

Atarah herself, surprisingly, shows no magical auras. Apparently her height is purely natural, as intimidating as that might seem. However, she does display an aptitude for using her own magic, which is quite strong for the warrior she appears to be (9th level spell-like abilities).

Ryuuk
2011-01-12, 12:44 AM
Karla

She came from the Northeast. She was of average height, with fine skin, but a small, thin, build. Her black hair is straight, tied back, and she wears simple, unobtrusive clothing. She wears armbands, a shield strapped to her back, a sword sheathed at her side, and a small gem encrusted on her forehead. She looked human, if a foreign one compared to locals. She turned heads, standing out, but didn't seem to care.

She simply continued to walk silence, with a stoic expression, and light, patient steps. She had a destination in mind, and simply continued to head towards there.

Castes even here. This must be the lowest level... and there's nothing but trash.

She notes the militia. The high caste, perhaps some amongst them may be considered of worth. Perhaps.

If not disturbed she'll also enter the bar with little fanfare, not even acknowledging the guards. Instead she takes a seat by a window, simply ordering water. There were a few that revealed secrets to her sight, but nothing greater then the hunch she got from the armed woman. She'd fought in Avernus, she'd read the reports. Perhaps her hunch was right, and in that case...

<<Atarah, the Deserter, I presume?>> She sends a single, telepathic message.

True sight should reveal her wings, which she prefers to hid as much as possible.

Arcane Sight though... Pretty much a Christmas tree effect. The biggest contender would be the weapon that rests at her side and something big and evil resting on her back, below the shield and vest.

AmberVael
2011-01-12, 01:08 AM
Atarah doesn't look up from her drink, but her mental awareness expands outwards in an almost explosive burst as she searches for whoever contacted her. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult...
<<Is that the title I'm given these days?>>
Her mental voice is accompanied with a bit of distaste as it makes its way to Karla.
<<I don't believe it suits me. Now who are you?>>
Karla might actually feel the touch of Atarah's mind as it sweeps the bar and beyond, hunting down the one who contacted her.

Everyone:
Atarah has Mindsight, 330ft. If you feel you have some way of avoiding it, I'm sure we can get Invelios's clarification in OOC, though by RAW nothing really does.

Otherwise, she'll know your Type, Intelligence score, and your location within 5ft if you're within range.

Atarah, as far as I know, has no way of tracking down a specific unknown person with this, but if Karla is the only other devil at the bar, it's probably going to be obvious.

Ryuuk
2011-01-12, 01:47 AM
Karla

Things just got interesting. When she gets an answer, she turns to Atarah.

<<In the front lines, amongst Lord Bel's troops, yes... If it eases you, it is usually spoken with a warning.>>

Karla makes no attempts to hide, she felt there was no need. In the end, she felt it only drew things out. The touch catches her by surprise.

<<I am but a humble blade of Stygia. Pardon the intrusion, but this is like casually running into a myth. I wonder what a being like you may be doing in a hole like this.>>

Outsider (Evil, Law, Augmented, Fire)
Int: 31

EDIT: Note to self, to show 31 int, start by avoiding glaring typos in speech...

AmberVael
2011-01-12, 02:22 AM
Atarah wonders at Karla's humility compared to her intelligence, as well as the strangeness of someone whose nature is tied with fire claiming to be of Stygia. That wasn't something you heard of every day. However, Atarah is rather distracted by Karla's apparent awe, which she finds to be quite flattering to her ego.
Not that it particularly needs the assist.
<<Wandering. I have no place in the Hells these days, and traveling the prime can be entertaining.>>
Odd that someone would recognize her. Perhaps this was another attempt to see her killed? No, this devil seemed surprised to see her here, and it was unlikely that they'd send a single person. That was, assuming she was alone.

Her blue eyes dart towards the man in the white coat as she picks up the strength of his mind. Unusually strong, to the point of dominating the room. This devil easily rivaled the brightest minds she had met in hell, as well. Intelligence was not everything a person could possess, but the fact that they surpassed everyone else so casually was notable.

Something strange was going on here. Good. She hadn't had much hope for this town, but maybe she was going to be surprised.
<<It is no less unusual for you to be here, however. Would I get a straight answer if I asked?>>

Ryuuk
2011-01-12, 08:17 AM
Karla

Still at the window, Karla can't help but smile at the Deserter's remark. It is small and fleeting, quickly replaced by her usual stoic expression, but it's there, nevertheless.

<<It would depend on how much information you consider needed for an answer... so perhaps you won't.>> If emotion can be sensed through telepathy, this one is surprisingly clean. No amusement, irony, or sarcasm. <<I will say I'm here as a blade to my Lord though, with harvesting as a second, personal, goal. Anything more would may be Betrayal, I'm sure you remember how it is.>>

She wonders how much bringing Atarah back would be worth. She wanted to believe it would go a long way, but she knew the wording all to well. It would be a single soul of undeniable worth, but still just a single one. She'd heard the stories... she might be able to best her, but it would come at a cost, and would likely mean Failure. It was not an option, at least not now.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-12, 09:19 AM
Dr. Hellsing, after a short while, asks a simple question to the bartender, "what's happened here?" his voice carries a slightly depressed 'feel' to his words despite speaking in a more uncaring voice, with an echo of a second tone to it, carrying on a little longer than he speaks. He'd yet to suppress that particular effect of his change, the echoing voice and red eyes marked him forever, although the eyes could be hidden, at least from those without magical means to see through it.

He does notice a glance from a nearby woman, one that towered over his present body, but that's not entirely strange, his choice of a white coat is rare, esspecially since the coat itself is completely clean despite the grime from the road on the rest of his clothes. The coat was a bit of a symbol of his, he had helped a great many people while wearing it, his name and profession as a doctor had spread because of this 'unique feature'.

Invelios
2011-01-12, 09:25 AM
The barkeep looks at Hellsing, and gives an almost imperceptible shake of his head, as if to say this isn't a good place to discuss that question as he slides over your fresh drink.

Hellsing - (all others - Spot DC 50) under your mug you have a note: Meet at the windmills tonight when the moon is at its zenith, if you wish to learn what has befallen this town.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-12, 09:40 AM
"Thanks," he says, making it seem like he meant for the drink, not the note. "How much for a room?" he asks after a few short moments.

Invelios
2011-01-12, 09:41 AM
3 gold a night.

Chambers
2011-01-12, 09:44 AM
Danalis

A quick glance over the guards. Bah. They're wearing enough to feed this town for years. Nothing useful though. "Oh, pardon me, sirs. I think I will go in and join the lady for a drink." He smiles and nods, then walks through the door.

Tall giant lady with wings, giant sword and high magic...another warrior with high magic and blades, yet this one hides her wings. He glances between the two women for a moment before walking up to join the giant that invited him to drink earlier. "Hello, lady. Thought I'd join you after all. Name's Dana." He smiles and orders an ale. "That's a mighty big looking sword you got there."

And the figure in white is not what he appears to be either. Interesting.

Ryuuk
2011-01-12, 11:49 AM
Karla

Karla simply closes her eyes after catching a glimpse of the message.

<<I won't intrude further, it seems you have company. Regardless, I'll remain in town until tomorrow at least. I would enjoy speaking with the once champion of Lord Bel further, if she so wishes.>>

With that, she turns her gaze to the rest of the room. How this hole had anything to do with the strange happenings, was beyond her. At least she'd found a trail. Her eyes decide to follow the man in white, under the illusion.

AmberVael
2011-01-12, 12:08 PM
Oh hey, that's interesting.
Atarah's keen eyes linger over Hellsing and the bartender, noting their conversation before turning back to her own. Of which she seems to have a pair now. Huh, okay.
<<I remember what it was like, yes.>>
She takes intense satisfaction in placing that sentence in the past tense. Vaguely, the mention of soul harvesting stirs up memories... wasn't Levistus in a spot of trouble these days? He'd been released, right?
<<Trying to pay off the debt your lord incurred?>>
She doesn't expect an answer, but gets a bit of joy from saying it anyway.
<<I'm sure I'll see you around.>>
Surely the other devil would get involved with this as well. She seemed too smart to miss whatever was going on, one way or another. Atarah wondered if they'd end up on the same side or against each other, and which she'd prefer.

Outwardly, Atarah gives Danalis another grin.
"I'm Atarah. The sword is Null, though I'm not sure you want to have a friendly relationship with a blade."
With a quick motion she removes the sword's sheath and slams the blade into the ground. Whether it is dirt, wood, or even stone, the strength of Atarah and the blade pierce it easily, leaving the sword standing upright beside her.
"Made it myself. Feel free to take a look at it."
A foolish man would attempt to take the sword and run off, but Atarah is willing to bet Danalis isn't that foolish.

The sword is made of an unusual metal which has been tempered to a gray sheen. While heavy, it is actually not all that bad considering its vast size, which is almost as tall as Atarah herself. It is a little more slender than one might expect, and the point of balance seems a little strange, but then again, the sword overall seems ludicrous, and the point of balance is the least of its issues.

Chambers
2011-01-12, 12:50 PM
Danalis

His eyebrows raise as the weapon slams into the floor. "Impressive strength, though hardly surprising from one of your stature." He glances over the blade for a moment. "The blade itself is much more interesting...you said you created it yourself?"

My Lady, there are other agents here....well, there are two swords, both with high magic, and another man, hiding under some paltry illusions.

He smiles and nods to the bartender, taking a sip from his ale. "Thanks...I'll take a room as well." He reaches into the pouch at his belt and takes out 4 gold pieces, laying them on the bar top.

Invelios
I figure Danalis and his patron, Queen Casalina, have a permanent Telepathic Bond. Mostly so she can reach him at a moments notice, since he's got his anti-teleport ward up all the time.

AmberVael
2011-01-12, 04:07 PM
"Indeed. From the blade itself to the magic it carries, it is completely my work."
Atarah says with pride.
"I used only the best in its creation. The metal is Aurorum, alloyed with a few materials using a special technique known only to talented smiths from the Nine Hells. It's stronger and more durable than steel, and even if it is broken, it repairs itself in a matter of moments."
She places a hand on the hilt, where a gleaming blue crystal that matches her eyes is inset.
"The enchantments are an extension of my own fighting style, allowing it to augment and flow with my movements, among other things. It will not rust, and it twists its form and shape as I desire or need."

A little smirk crosses her face as she looks at Danalis.
"As deadly and intriguing as it might be, however, I'd say its power pales before my strength and skill."

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-12, 04:46 PM
"Here, this should cover everything for three nights" he says, placing a single silvery white coin on the counter before heading up the stairs, just before he goes up he turns back, "you know where i can purchase work space for magical workings?"

One platinum.

Ryuuk
2011-01-13, 10:44 AM
Karla

At Atarah's last question, Karla simply turns to her, closes her eyes, and nods. No point in hiding it, all of Stygia was working to pay for it's transgressions.

To be a fly on the wall had it's perks. She wondered how many humble Baatezu she'd met. Amusing, it seems she'd changed and left the ranks, but that trait had remained. A different mindset, no doubt. Still, the short lesson on Null may be useful. Part of it had sounded familiar and close to home.

She keeps track of the man in white from her spot at the window. Her short break would be over if the man leaves to find his workings.

Chambers
2011-01-13, 11:12 AM
Danalis

Raising his eyes and acting suitably impressed, Danalis leans back in his chair a little. "Of course, of course. A sword like that and you could write your own way, seems like." He shrugs. "Course, I don't know much about swordfighting and all that." He points with his index finger and mimics stabbing and slashing with a sword. "Heh. I usually leave it to others, more experienced than I, to deal with threats like that." Taking another sip of his ale, Atarah notices his eyes roll behind the mug as the man in white speaks of magical workings.

This one does not act according to his illusion, perhaps. What would you find to suit you in this bar, would-be mage?

Clearing his throat Danalis looks over at the man. "Ah, excuse me, but I couldn't help overhearing you. Name's Dana. I'm something of an adept myself; what kind of workings do you have in mind? If you don't mind me asking, that is." He quickly adds.

AmberVael
2011-01-13, 11:51 AM
As convincing as Danalis's acting is, Atarah's perception is just keen enough to see through it. When you're the kind of person who works bluntly and openly, as Atarah usually does, you either learn to deal with those who deal underhandedly and subtly, or you become a sucker.

Maybe she would have fallen for it during her days as a soldier in Hell's army, but she was beyond that now, and she knew something was fishy about Danalis's behavior. Another person might simply take the information and note it, or seek to be equally subtle, but that wasn't Atarah's style.
"Hm."
Her blue eyes focus on Danalis, piercing and steady as she examines him.
"Most of the time, people are actually impressed, or if they aren't, it's just because they're too busy being terrified of me."

She doesn't sound disappointed or angry- there's more keen interest in her voice as she speaks. Apparently, while she did appreciate those who considered her with awe, it had become common place enough to where someone who didn't was just as fascinating.
"I'm not the only one out of place here."
Sometimes, of course, there was a time to be subtle, so she lets her eyes flicker to the white coated man for a moment before settling on Danalis, who is the more obvious target of her words.
"So, an 'adept' are you? Why don't you tell me what you're really interested in? I've got nothing to do here. If you make it sound interesting enough, maybe I'll help out."

Invelios
2011-01-13, 11:53 AM
Vael Your Sense motive check also notes that the bartender is more than what he seems, though the exact nature is uncertain at this point.

Chambers
2011-01-13, 12:55 PM
Danalis

Something flickers for an instant behind Danalis eyes. Not surprise, more akin to amusement and curiosity. "Ah." He says in a low voice for Atarah to hear. "More than just skilled with the blade, I see." Shrugging his shoulders he says, "I've seen enough cut throats and bravos to know one thing at least - they're all better with a sword than I am. The degree of difference between their skill and mine...well, once you get past a certain point it's merely academic."

Catching her eye movements to the other man Danalis chuckles. "Keen eyes indeed. A sharp mind and blade. I've no intention of making enemies here, so be at ease of that." He glances around the room once more. "I'm here at my patron's request, to investigate a matter that concerns her. Aye, I'm an adept of many things, and master of a few."

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-13, 01:46 PM
Dr. Hellsing pauses at the comment from the man speaking with the swordswoman, "Dr. Maverick Hellsing," he says, introducing himself, "the magic i seek to work is minor," he says walking back over to the bar. His eyes glance over both him and his current companion, appearing red to Danalis, blue to everyone else unaided by magic.

Forgot to mention i have 9th level spells and 9th level spell-like abilities

Invelios
2011-01-13, 03:30 PM
"Here, this should cover everything for three nights" he says, placing a single silvery white coin on the counter before heading up the stairs, just before he goes up he turns back, "you know where i can purchase work space for magical workings?"

One platinum.

I would not recommend working magic in this town, as it has proven to be hazardous to ones health, and not just from the strange energy surges of late. the bartender nods his head towards your drink, Need a refill, or a new napkin?

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-13, 04:28 PM
"Does that include making magic items? I need an expeditious messenger so I can report to the Academy Arcane and my last one was destroyed," he asks, Although, i could work that trick i learned from vivisecting that efreet to make it, possibly even animating it as well all at once, he thinks, yeah, i wouldn't have to worry about the workshop and could just perform it in a normal room.

Invelios
2011-01-13, 04:34 PM
"Does that include making magic items? I need an expeditious messenger so I can report to the Academy Arcane and my last one was destroyed," he asks, Although, i could work that trick i learned from vivisecting that efreet to make it, possibly even animating it as well all at once, he thinks, yeah, i wouldn't have to worry about the workshop and could just perform it in a normal room.

Here's your refill, stranger. the bartender says as he hands you a new mug.

Note Spot DC 53 This area is unstable for casting, only one area of town has shown a resilience to magical energies that has as yet been uninterrupted, and that is under the old stone bridge northwest of town.

Chamber, Ryuuk, and any others with Arcane sight The napkin under the mug has a faint magical aura around it similar to a level 0 cantrip (prestidigitation) but just enough off to make it possibly a homemade variant of the same.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-13, 06:09 PM
"Thanks," Dr. Hellsing says, too many secrets in this town, they're scared of something, i need to report this soon, he says, "please excuse me, but I need some fresh air," he says walking out of the door ant towards the bridge in the northwest. He'd meet with the man later tonight, after he too some time to think on the wish, or if he was going to.

Ryuuk
2011-01-13, 07:30 PM
Karla

Karla would have seen Dana as normal, if rather talkative. Still, the Deserter had seen through, and struck true. Another Agent. That, and the 'dialogue' between the man in white and the barkeep, seemed to say she'd reached the right place. Still, she wished she'd caught that last note.

<<I believe you will. Goodbye, Atarah of Avernus. For now.>>

She waits a few seconds, finishing her drink. Then she leaves a few silvers and coppers to pay for the water, and stretches before heading back outside. Her eyes scanning the scene for the man in white. When she spots him, she starts to follow, in her same unconcerned, pace.

<<Would you be so kind as to tell me what the second message said, Dr. Hellsing? I'd rather not have to wait until the zenith, time has become a valuable resource as of late.>>

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-13, 07:42 PM
Dr. Hellsing stops as he hears the mental voice, Luckily i kept the note, i'll drop it, just pick it up. If you'd like to speak with me i'm heading towards the bridge mentioned on the note, he continues to walk, pulling the note from his pocket and dropping it for Karla to see.

Quick Key
Bold = Normal Speech
Italic = Thinking
Bold and Italic = Telepathically Talking

AmberVael
2011-01-13, 09:37 PM
"Can you spare any more detail?"
Atarah asks Danalis, raising an eyebrow at his vague words.
"The nature or name of your patron, the goal or specifics of your task... anything? Would you even desire the help of one such as I?"

Ryuuk
2011-01-14, 08:07 AM
Karla

<<How kind of you...>>

She continues walking, and as she passes the note there's a brief instant where an onlooker may have seen something. As she advances, the note is gone, a hand is at adjusting the sword at her side and the other is holding the napkin with a very fine cut in the middle. Once done reading, she slips it between her bracer and her arm.

<<Thank you... perhaps I'll see you there, I'd like to see what this means with my own eyes.>>

Chambers
2011-01-14, 03:02 PM
Danalis

"Hmm. I'll guess and say I'm here for the same reason you are. Magic." Danalis says. "My patron...I'm not free to reveal that, but given the choice I would prefer to have you as an ally instead of as an adversary. As I've said before, weapon fighting isn't my strength, so your blade would be welcome."

He looks in his mug and pushes it aside. "You picked up on my act, so I'll tell you a bit more." He looks at her, his face neutral. "I know that your sword, amulet and belt could each buy a kingdom, paid in full. I know you possess skill in high magic, beyond your abilities with your sword. I know your form is natural, which places you from somewhere beyond the prime." He shrugs and looks away. "All these things I know just from looking at you. Magic is more than a tool for some...for some it is part of who they are. So when...strange things start happening across the planes, and all signs point to this dung heap town, you'll pardon if I don't think it a coincidence that one such as yourself is here." He pauses. "Or the doctor, who is more, and less, than he seems. And the lady that followed him, hiding her wings, unlike you." He smiles. "Or me, though I hide behind no illusion, only words."

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-14, 06:11 PM
If you'd like to see i'll be testing magic both in and out of the area under controlled circumstances, using my weaker magics to see precisely what it meant, Dr. Hellsing mentally replies, Although i must ask who you are and why you decided to follow me, if it's because of the magic fluxes found in this area then i'd gladly work with you to sort it out, otherwise, hm, not entirely sure on the otherwise, probably just not go into specifics of what i find out, he states absentmindedly, he seems to be running on autopilot at the moment, as if he was thinking deeply while just barely noticing his surroundings.

Monstrumologist has the intent focus thing, i'm just role-playing it here :smalltongue:

Am i doing it well or does it seem forced?

Invelios
2011-01-14, 07:52 PM
Chambers
(and any one else with arcane sight active)

The entire town starts to flicker on and off with magical energies, nothing constant and no constant auras just a mind wrenching array of colors that flash on and off for about 15 minutes.

AmberVael
2011-01-15, 01:58 AM
"I heard a few rumors, but I wasn't expecting much."
Frankly, it actually is more coincidence that Atarah is there, though not entirely.
She seems a little surprised at Danalis's words. Fancy that! Someone who can be as perceptive as her, if in different ways. Magic sight... now that would be useful.

"I'm not sure what the doctor is, but the notes he's passing around are the least of his oddity. He has the keenest mind of anyone nearby, and of a caliber that surpasses someone like you or I. And we're smarter than anyone else around here."
Atarah says. She the gestures after Karla and Hellsing.
"She's from Stygia. Had a little chat with her before you walked in. Can't say if she'll likely turn against me or not. I have an interesting reputation in the Hells."

She swirls her drink, and speaks even more quietly.
"Something's up with the bartender, and it's more than just the notes he's passing too. I can't quite get my mind around it though."

Ryuuk
2011-01-15, 02:27 AM
Karla

The proposal makes her stop for a few seconds as she considers it. Was that meant to be a threat or...? In the end, she simply keeps walking. Best to let someone else test the effects of the strangeness.

<<There shouldn't be a problem then, I'm here about the irregularities as well. That's also why I followed you, I'm afraid. I am Karla de Prata, a pleasure to meet you doctor.>>

She'd received that name as a child, and with time, it'd slowly changed. Still, in moments like this, it was perhaps best to return to one's roots.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-15, 03:16 AM
Likewise, Doctor or Dr. Helsing are my prefered titles, he mentally says, Though you'll probably have to tell me again later when i'm not distracted, as he walks into view of the bridge he sends a mental note to Karla I'll be casting a cantrip to see if anything happens, better to use lower level magics and avoid any possible damages, he seems more focused on the conversation now. He then whispers a few short words and creates a tiny flame just above his finger, a simple prestidigitation spell he had prepared for 'household' tasks, it was his favorite cantrip even before his change.

Chambers
2011-01-15, 10:08 AM
Danalis

Leaning back in his chair he turns away from the bar, speaking to Atarah from the corner of his mouth. "Yes, I saw the napkins were enchanted. Do you know why? It seems strange to - argh!" Danalis' eyes go wide as the world explodes in a kaleidoscope of swirling colors. He knocks over his mug and holds his eyes shut.

"Atarah." He says through clenched teeth. "Tell me something please. Is the world flickering through a series of energy shifts right now? It might look somewhat unpleasant." Rubbing his eyes he opens one a crack and sways on his stool. Holding onto the bar with one hand he steadies himself, though still rocking like on a ship on a stormy sea.

"If you can perceive aura's, now would be an interesting time to do so." He lifts an eyebrow at her and then winces. "It's the effects of the wild magic, manifesting now. Let's see if they extend beyond this plane." With a slash of his hand, Danalis mutters something and starts blinking back and forth, in and out of existence.

Greater Blink. Do the effects of the wild magic extend to the Ethereal Plane?

Invelios
2011-01-15, 06:38 PM
Danalis

Leaning back in his chair he turns away from the bar, speaking to Atarah from the corner of his mouth. "Yes, I saw the napkins were enchanted. Do you know why? It seems strange to - argh!" Danalis' eyes go wide as the world explodes in a kaleidoscope of swirling colors. He knocks over his mug and holds his eyes shut.

"Atarah." He says through clenched teeth. "Tell me something please. Is the world flickering through a series of energy shifts right now? It might look somewhat unpleasant." Rubbing his eyes he opens one a crack and sways on his stool. Holding onto the bar with one hand he steadies himself, though still rocking like on a ship on a stormy sea.

"If you can perceive aura's, now would be an interesting time to do so." He lifts an eyebrow at her and then winces. "It's the effects of the wild magic, manifesting now. Let's see if they extend beyond this plane." With a slash of his hand, Danalis mutters something and starts blinking back and forth, in and out of existence.

Greater Blink. Do the effects of the wild magic extend to the Ethereal Plane?

Chambers

The Ethereal plane is a Kaleidescope of colors as well. They are slightly more muted and seem to have more control over themselves here. But they are still wild.

Edro
The flame flickers for a moment then explodes brightly into the street after jumping off of your hand. It literally boils the water in the mud coated street turning it into a rudimentary brick for about 1 square yard.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-15, 06:51 PM
"Well," he says after the flame explodes, "that was unexpected," he speaks calmly. Turning his mind to Karla, i guess that answers part of the question, let's test the other part, he says walking under the bridge and using the spell to once again make a small flame.

Invelios
2011-01-15, 07:36 PM
Edro as you step under the bridge you feel an eerie sense of calm wash over you. This area is unchanged by the current flux completely and totally unspoiled. It seems to call up memories of a simpler time when magic was as it should be.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-15, 08:06 PM
"Definitely a difference," he says, pulling out a pipe from his pocket and lighting it with the flame dancing at the tip of his finger. You might want to feel this for yourself, the magic seems, calm, here.

Ryuuk
2011-01-15, 10:30 PM
Karla

By now, Karla is standing besides Hellsing, she has yet to utter a word, but watches his experiments with interest. <<Any insight on why this may be, Dr. Hellsing?>> She moves on to try a few things herself though.

First a casting of an illusion while under the bridge. She makes it look like a creeping cold is spreading, freezing the water. Starting within the safe zone, the illusion then moves outside of it.

Once she gets a result, she dismissed the illusion and tries again, only this time while standing outside of the safe zone. This time she wills the 'ice' to start on the wild magic and makes it creep into the safe zone.

Essentially, a pair of Minor Images.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-15, 10:46 PM
Dr. Hellsing replies, this time actually speaking, "Ley lines," you notice his physical voice is different from his mental voice, because of more than just the echo that accompanies it, "If they cross here then the magic would be more stable than other areas, or it could be the stones of the bridge, a special resonance that could create a localized area of stable magic, or that the material plane is becoming coterminous with Limbo and its own chaotic nature is createing spots of normal magic within spots of wild magic. It could be any number of things, even a star winking out could be the only reason for the difference fluxuations."

Invelios
2011-01-16, 12:12 AM
Ryuuk, The first casting goes smoother than most magics you have ever cast before. However, the second casting goes crazy. The ice beings to wither all plant life in the area infusing it with negative energy, and the magic refuses to come into the area under the bridge, and instead begins to spread rapidly outward from the initial casting causing more defoliation and even some small animals in the area begin to wither into old age and death.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-16, 12:39 AM
"Wasn't that just an illusion," Dr. Hellsing asks calmly before uttering three short syllables to dispel the stray magic. "I really hope this flux doesn't last long, esspecially if this doesn't work."

Casting Greater Dispel Magic

AmberVael
2011-01-16, 02:19 PM
Atarah shakes her head.
"I cannot perceive magic as you do. You will have to rely on your own perception."
However, she stands, speaking quietly.
"But I read something that you did not. There is a place here that does not react to magic, underneath the bridge that leads into town."

Ryuuk
2011-01-16, 02:59 PM
Karla

Karla watches the damage with eyes open wide. She nods. "It was..." If the 'illusion' isn't dispelled by Hellsing's efforts, she'll try and dismiss it. The explanation meant little to her, spellcraft wasn't her area of expertise and she knew little theory beyond what her nature and master bestowed on her.

The display just raised more questions though, and many more possible 'experiments'. "Do you think it's wise to continue? I'd like to try some additional spells out, but given the effects of a mere illusion..."

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-16, 03:55 PM
"I'd prefer not to cause any more damage, if this is the effect of an illusion i don't know what may happen with something more substantial," He says, still in that same calm voice. "Either it will dispel, or the flux will cease, either way will lead to the end of this... mishap," he continues, "We've already proved the area's... unique properties, and that's more important then testing what our spells will do during one of these fluxes. We should focus more on stopping any stray magics from going haywire."

Chambers
2011-01-16, 04:10 PM
Danalis

"Underneath the bridge? Hrhn." Danalis grunts, his eyes-half closed. "Seems like a strange spot...ah, forget it!" Shutting his eyes closed tight Danalis exhales heavily. "Ah, that's better." Reaching out to his mug he picks it up and takes the last drink in it, all with perfect coordination while his eyes are closed.

Danalis stands up, his eyes still closed. "Less straining this way. Would you like to accompany me to the bridge?" He raises an eyebrow and smiles, an expression that looks odd with ones eyes closed. Stepping around the bar he walks to the doors and out towards the street.

AmberVael
2011-01-17, 12:22 AM
Atarah follows after Danalis, moving fairly quietly for someone of her size. Presumably, the two make their way to the bridge.

Invelios
2011-01-18, 02:42 PM
Chambers/Vael,

On the way to the bridge you are almost overwhelmed by negative energy, that quickly retracts almost as quickly as it came on.

Edro/Ryuuk

Hellsing's Dispel works. and the negative energy dissipates...Ryuuk, you did feel a 2 large life sources coming your direction as the aura of the spell changed to consume them. also, give yourself 100 temp HP that last until you use them or rest. (the spell had a somewhat vampiric effect.)

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-18, 03:30 PM
"Let's not try that again," Dr. Hellsing deadpans, "would you like to try something a little bit... less likely to backfire?" he asks, "try not to use illusions if you do. And no fire, that could cause an explosion that may just destroy the 'safe zone.'"

Ryuuk
2011-01-18, 04:53 PM
Karla

It takes a while for Karla to answer. She wasn't an arcanist, but she knew what her body's gifts could do and that wasn't normal. She takes a deep breath, not quite sure what had happened, but feeling rather... Vigorous. Alive. "Would it be of interest to note that it hungered? I could feel it, it sensed two large targets heading this way, brimming with life. It wanted to take them like it did the river..."

"This was an illusion. It became something else entirely." Her voice is distant and reserved. Emotionally, its as if it had found something mildly amusing. "I'm not sure what else I could use, I thought the illusion would be the most harmless of all..."

"Well, perhaps..." She had hardly moved since she arrived, but now she places a hand before her and concentrates.

She'll attempt to summon her Erinyes rope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8024351&postcount=144) (under Sadism Initiate). It's supernatural.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-18, 05:02 PM
Dr. Hellsing stops for a moment, "an illusion turned necromancy..." he says, "I've never heard of that before..." he stops speaking, "You said two large figures, could that be those two from the bar, the mage and the warrior?"

Invelios
2011-01-18, 11:14 PM
Karla

It takes a while for Karla to answer. She wasn't an arcanist, but she knew what her body's gifts could do and that wasn't normal. She takes a deep breath, not quite sure what had happened, but feeling rather... Vigorous. Alive. "Would it be of interest to note that it hungered? I could feel it, it sensed two large targets heading this way, brimming with life. It wanted to take them like it did the river..."

"This was an illusion. It became something else entirely." Her voice is distant and reserved. Emotionally, its as if it had found something mildly amusing. "I'm not sure what else I could use, I thought the illusion would be the most harmless of all..."

"Well, perhaps..." She had hardly moved since she arrived, but now she places a hand before her and concentrates.

She'll attempt to summon her Erinyes rope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8024351&postcount=144) (under Sadism Initiate). It's supernatural.

Functions completely normally.

Chambers
2011-01-19, 09:51 PM
Danalis

"Is that them over there? I can sense two people standing - argh!" Danalis cries out as the wave of negative energy sweeps over him and retracts. His eyes flash open and the calm, bemused look from before has been replaced with seething anger. His eyes harden and focus on the doctor and the stygian. His hands twist, palms facing the ground and he lifts up off the ground by a foot. His hair comes loose and starts to crackle as if charged with static electricity.

"You." He says, his voice carrying to Karla and Hellsing. It's changed from before, a completely different tone, a harsh edge to it. "I would recommend you stop playing with forces you do not understand. Your first attempt brushed by me...and it was quite unpleasant."

He holds their gaze for a moment before turning slowly in place, looking at the rest of the town and people, his fierce green eyes shining like hell fire. "Can either of you observe the distortion in effect right now or did you decide to just start playing around and see what happens?"

OOC note: Danalis won't always be such a jerk. He's just upset about getting hit by the negative energy.

His normal operating personality is more the mercenary as long as I get mine type. The I am Wizard comes out when he's surprised/hurt by something. Sort of like a defense mechanism.

Ryuuk
2011-01-19, 10:57 PM
Karla

"It seems like they are..." Karla says this offhandedly, focused instead on the rope she'd conjured. Still as strong as ever, no changes. Satisfied, both ends begin to burn, quickly consuming it. She lets go, but there's nothing left to hit the ground.

"Dana, was it? My apologies. I know of it, but I'd have to say the second." She turns to face Danalis, Although both her expression and tone remain stoic. "With a different phrasing, of course."

"It simply seemed like the best way to understand it, though it raised more questions then it answered. That necromancy was an elementary illusion before finishing it." She follows the man's gaze, but sees nothing but the run down town. "I must admit I am out of my element though... How would you explain what just happened?"

Seems fine really, although this might be because Karla's mostly stoic on the outside.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-20, 12:55 AM
Dr. Hellsing just shakes his head, completely calm at the mage's rant, "you know, it's a good thing i prepared a few dispels just in case something goes wrong. We did take precautions before experimenting, get the story before making an accusation, it may cost you in the future," he says in a deathly calm, what you'd expect just before a panther pounces, as he steps out from under the bridge, "and don't judge by appearances. I'm one of the top mages at the Academy, and if you paid attention to current events you'd know exactly who i am," he continues, his reputation was unique in the mage's community, and fairly well known in even outside the mage's community.

AmberVael
2011-01-20, 09:01 AM
Atarah, for her part, decides not to get into the argument. It wasn't like she had much magic to use anyway. There was a bit, sure, but in the end she wouldn't be using it significantly.
And maybe it was arrogance talking, but she felt fairly sure that none of their magic, warped or not, would be able to harm her significantly.
Yeah, probably just her arrogance talking there.

She crosses her arms and waits calmly.

Invelios
2011-01-20, 09:18 AM
Dr. Hellsing just shakes his head, completely calm at the mage's rant, "you know, it's a good thing i prepared a few dispels just in case something goes wrong. We did take precautions before experimenting, get the story before making an accusation, it may cost you in the future," he says in a deathly calm, what you'd expect just before a panther pounces, "and don't judge by appearances. I'm one of the top mages at the Academy, and if you paid attention to current events you'd know exactly who i am," he continues, his reputation was unique in the mage's community, and fairly well known in even outside the mage's community.

Chambers, Ryuuk, and Vael
Please make a knowledge (Arcana, history, or local) to see if you have heard of the good doctor. DC 25

Ryuuk
2011-01-20, 09:34 AM
No ranks in Knowledge Arcana, or Local, but quite a bit in History:

[roll0]

AmberVael
2011-01-20, 12:00 PM
Checks:

Arcane: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Invelios
2011-01-20, 12:01 PM
edro posted his story in the OOC thread.

Chambers
2011-01-20, 12:04 PM
Danalis

"Oh, I know you well enough Dr. Hellsing. I just hoped that a man of your ability and learning would perhaps give a warning to others when experimenting with wild, unknown magic in a civilized area." He pauses for a moment. "Well, barely civilized." He mutters after a second thought.

Lady, I've encountered the Dr. Hellsing, along with two planars. One from Stygia, the other unknown. The town is currently in a state of wild flux, except for an area underneath a bridge.

"The disturbance extends to the ethereal as well, though it is less severe than here. It appears to transform energies into different types, like your illusion into necromancy. I've been trying to pinpoint the source of the disturbance...though it appears you have found the eye in the hurricane."

He looks past them to the land beyond the town. "If you'll excuse me a few moments I'll go see how far the flux extends beyond the town." The green fire in his eyes flares and he disappears from sight.

Going to use the Greater Teleport ability of the Dark Transient (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a) feat. He'll go to the four cardinal directions away from the town, using Greater Arcane Sight to see if the flux is in effect whereever he is and to see if he can see a border or edge to it.

He'll start out at 1 mile away from town and then increase the range in jumps by 10 miles if 1 mile isn't sufficient.

Invelios
2011-01-20, 12:11 PM
Danalis

"Oh, I know you well enough Dr. Hellsing. I just hoped that a man of your ability and learning would perhaps give a warning to others when experimenting with wild, unknown magic in a civilized area." He pauses for a moment. "Well, barely civilized." He mutters after a second thought.

Lady, I've encountered the Dr. Hellsing, along with two planars. One from Stygia, the other unknown. The town is currently in a state of wild flux, except for an area underneath a bridge.

"The disturbance extends to the ethereal as well, though it is less severe than here. It appears to transform energies into different types, like your illusion into necromancy. I've been trying to pinpoint the source of the disturbance...though it appears you have found the eye in the hurricane."

He looks past them to the land beyond the town. "If you'll excuse me a few moments I'll go see how far the flux extends beyond the town." The green fire in his eyes flares and he disappears from sight.

Going to use the Greater Teleport ability of the Dark Transient (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a) feat. He'll go to the four cardinal directions away from the town, using Greater Arcane Sight to see if the flux is in effect whereever he is and to see if he can see a border or edge to it.

He'll start out at 1 mile away from town and then increase the range in jumps by 10 miles if 1 mile isn't sufficient.

if it is supernatural ability read here The magic flux extend approximately 5 miles out from the town then begins to fade.
is extraordinary read here The ability seems to work almost as intended, just the opposite of your intended direction so the effect is the same, just when you want south you get north, and visa versa.
If it is purely magical in nature (which I hope like hell it isn't) Your first teleport that began in the safe zone works as intended, but on the second 'port, you feel ill at ease, and you end up In a strange city well away from your intended destination, and possibly on another plane altogether. Knowledge (geography/the planes) DC 50 the city is known as Finality.

Invelios
2011-01-20, 02:30 PM
Danalis and Dr. Hellsing Vanish in a flash of light and color. Spellcraft DC 20 Teleport

If you are in the safe zone and trace teleport, original destination was due north 1 mile, actual destination was an alleyway in Finality

If you are not in the safe zone and trace teleport supernaturally, original destination was due north 1 mile, actual destination was an alleyway in Finality

If you are not in the safe zone and trace teleport extraordinarily original destination was due north 1 mile, but the actual destination is unknown

If you are not in the safe zone and trace teleport magically, Say hello to Denalis as you are now next to him. Knowledge (Geography) dc 50 you are in the planar metropolis of Finality.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-20, 03:02 PM
"Now what were you saying about being carful with spells?" Dr. Hellsing says wryly, looking around, "I've heard of this place before, in one of the books at the Academy. This must be Finality," he says, looking around more, "Also known as the soul market," he shakes his head, "Be careful, there's no fighting here, you do you're executed. There are several hundred laws here, most of which you won't ever know. Just be glad that if you break a law unknowingly you won't have too severe of a punishment."

AmberVael
2011-01-20, 03:11 PM
Atarah snorts with amusement as the two vanish.
"Figures."
Her blue eyes finally meet Karla's.
"Anything interesting?"
Fairly vague question, but likely not to hard to answer in some way.

Chambers
2011-01-20, 03:11 PM
Danalis

Hrmm. Not far enough away, let's try again. The green fires blaze once more, but something jerks and grabs at Danalis while traveling through the aether. Landing solidly on stone pavement, he blinks for a moment and shakes his head. Floating up a few inches off the strange stones.

Um...right. Lady, I attempted to jump around the range of the city to determine the extent of the flux but something...Lady? Hello? Danalis frowns and then turns his head, raising one eyebrow as Hellsing appears. "Well. If I were a proud man I suppose I would be eating my words now. Good thing I got rid of that fault a long time ago."

"We're not on the prime, that much I know...but beyond that I've no idea. I should be able to get us back to Haven, if the flux doesn't play any more tricks."

Nodding to Hellsing, he says "Ah, well that's a nice name for a town. If you prefer to stay be my guest. I'm going back to Haven. Coming with?" Danalis extends his hand to Hellsing.

Telepathic Bond doesn't work across planar boundaries, so he'd know that he's off the prime when his TB with the Queen cuts out. With his arcane sight can he see the flux here?

Planeshift back to Haven. If Hellsing comes along, we'll end up somewhere between 5 & 500 miles outside Haven (not a probelm - just teleport to Haven once we're on the prime). If I go alone I can plane shift to under the bridge with no chance of error.

Invelios
2011-01-20, 03:17 PM
Danalis

Hrmm. Not far enough away, let's try again. The green fires blaze once more, but something jerks and grabs at Danalis while traveling through the aether. Landing solidly on stone pavement, he blinks for a moment and shakes his head. Floating up a few inches off the strange stones.

Um...right. Lady, I attempted to jump around the range of the city to determine the extent of the flux but something...Lady? Hello? Danalis frowns and then turns his head, raising one eyebrow as Hellsing appears. "Well. If I were a proud man I suppose I would be eating my words now. Good thing I got rid of that fault a long time ago."

"We're not on the prime, that much I know...but beyond that I've no idea. I should be able to get us back to Haven, if the flux doesn't play any more tricks."

Nodding to Hellsing, he says "Ah, well that's a nice name for a town. If you prefer to stay be my guest. I'm going back to Haven. Coming with?" Danalis extends his hand to Hellsing.

Telepathic Bond doesn't work across planar boundaries, so he'd know that he's off the prime when his TB with the Queen cuts out. With his arcane sight can he see the flux here?

Planeshift back to Haven. If Hellsing comes along, we'll end up somewhere between 5 & 500 miles outside Haven (not a probelm - just teleport to Haven once we're on the prime). If I go alone I can plane shift to under the bridge with no chance of error.

Chambers - arcane sight:
The color shift in the auras here is more muted shades of grey and red, but definitely in flux and a bit more active than near Haven. Almost as if there was surplus of magic being cast constantly.

Chambers - telepathic bond
you feel a severance attempt on your bond with the queen, but it fails to sever completely. You still feel her presence though it is very weak, like a poor quality AM signal.

Edro -
you hear a small voice that you cannot make out, almost as if it was on the breeze. Definitely female and surprised, but no words or location are able to be discerned. You also note that Denalis is looking to cast again.

Chambers
2011-01-20, 03:26 PM
Danalis

Great. The flux is here too. Danalis withdraws his hand. "Looks like the problem is here too. Don't want to risk shifting again; don't know where we might end up. Might as well wait here for it to end."

He glances around, looking at any people are them and gauging their abilities. "So what else do you know about this place? Any reason why the flux would bring us here, or do you think it was just random? Are we going to break a law simply by standing here waiting?"

All
Don't cast plane shift. Figure he'll wait some for the flux to end.

Ryuuk
2011-01-20, 03:37 PM
Karla

Shaking her head, Karla sighs. "Just the knowledge that teleporting isn't advisable. Magic as a whole, really. The supernatural not bound to the laws of magic seems to work though. So much for the experts in spellcraft..."

Stretching, she turns back to town. "Perhaps the real expert is the man that led the doctor here... Will you wait for you companion to return, Atarah, or would you care to join me back to the Mended Drum?" She'll head back to the tavern, intent on speaking with the Barkeeper.

AmberVael
2011-01-20, 03:49 PM
"Eh, if he's smart enough to matter, he'll find his way back to the trail on his own."
Atarah says, giving a shrug.
"I think they'll manage it. But I'm not going to stick around for them."
She lopes after Karla.

Invelios
2011-01-20, 03:59 PM
Ryukk and Vael -

Across the bridge you see a fully armed and well disciplined group of the militia headed your direction.

Map
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7726/crudebattlemap.jpg
If you are any better at making maps, please make it pretty for me.....I don't normally make them :)

Ryuuk
2011-01-20, 04:29 PM
Karla

Karla seems to smile as she counts the men coming their way. <<Perhaps this wasn't such a waste of time afterall.>> For now she simple steps out from under the bridge and turns their way expectantly. "Is there a problem?"

As far as maps go, I think I'd use excel.

Invelios
2011-01-20, 04:30 PM
As far as maps go, I think I'd use excel.

never used Excel for drawing purposes. will have to look into it, normally I use dice as markers lol

AmberVael
2011-01-20, 04:31 PM
Now that- that looks promising.
Atarah grins, hefting her sword to place it ready and unsheathed on her shoulder as the group approaches. She steps out from under the bridge and stands beside Karla, letting her do the talking for now.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-20, 04:40 PM
"I'm pretty sure it's not against the rules, but this place is filled with magic items and magical oddities. I doubt we'd get in any trouble for looking around, you may just find something useful," he says, "maybe find something to help determine the nature of these fluxes. Interested?"

Invelios
2011-01-20, 04:54 PM
Now that- that looks promising.
Atarah grins, hefting her sword to place it ready and unsheathed on her shoulder as the group approaches. She steps out from under the bridge and stands beside Karla, letting her do the talking for now.

updated battle map to make it a little less of a mess.

Chambers
2011-01-20, 05:13 PM
Danalis

"Sounds good. No idea how long this flux will last anyway. Does your order have a chapter house here? That might be a good place to start." Danalis shrugs and floats down the street a few paces, looking at the buildings and people for signs or directions.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-20, 05:29 PM
"Not that i know of, the soul trade, while quite profitable, is heavily frowned upon. Although, selling damned souls to devils and demons can aid the good," he says mildly.

Ryuuk
2011-01-23, 03:06 PM
Just in case you're waiting for initiative. At the moment Karla's waiting for an answer, but any excuse would be enough for her to draw. It would mean a few more souls.

Initiative: [roll0]

or if you'd allow Utter Diamond Clarity's Concentration instead of Dex check to apply:

Initiative: [roll1]

Invelios
2011-01-23, 08:55 PM
Sorry missed the Question.

Aye, there's a problem, We have reports of unauthorized magic use in this area, and as you two are the only ones here, we will be taking you in.

AmberVael
2011-01-23, 09:13 PM
"No."
Replies Atarah calmly.
"You won't be taking me in."
Her sword slips into a combat ready position.
"You'll leave now, or scream as I cut out your organs and sever your limbs."

She speaks with such calm certainty as to make her words unnerving, particularly when combined with her imposing size and ready blade, which has begun to spark with electricity.

"Your choice."

Atarah can also use Utter Diamond Clarity, and given that the text of the feat says it can replace ability checks (which Initiative is), it should be able to be used for Initiative unless you rule otherwise. (Which wouldn't be entirely unreasonable, though perhaps a bit disappointing).

Initiative: [roll0]

Also, here's intimidate to see if she can get some of them to run away, or at least shake them up a little.
Intimidate: [roll1]

Invelios
2011-01-23, 10:18 PM
Vael
I will allow it.

Vael & Ryuuk I'm feeling pretty crummy tonight I will figure inits and movements and all tomorrow.

Invelios
2011-01-24, 04:33 PM
Initiative rolls

Blue1 [roll0]
Blue2 [roll1]
Blue3 [roll2]
Blue4 [roll3]
Blue5 [roll4]
Blue6 [roll5]
Blue7 [roll6]
Blue8 [roll7]
Blue9 [roll8]
GreenL [roll9]

Initiative order:
Atarah
Blue6
Blue5
Karla
GreenL
Blue1
Blue7
Blue3
Blue9
Blue8
Blue2
Blue4

The leader speaks @ Atarah and Karla: Very well, then you have sealed your fate, hellspawn. Men, Kill them both, the mage can get the answers from their corpses.

Chambers/Edro
You see impressive spires made of dark colored stone, that seems from the very pits of hell. The people however seem as normal as could be possible in a planar metropolis.

As you step from the alley you are assailed by the hustle and bustle of merchants, fiends, celestials, and adventurers.

You see signs in several languages advertising this merchant or that.

One person of note is a sytarian bard playing a lute in front of a gaudily colorful hat underneath one of the eternal lights.

He sees you emerge from the alley, and begins to try to win your affectations of gold or souls, he does seem to be collecting both. He plays an amazing tune worthy of any of the celestial choirs and lauds your achievements as heroes, the song does gather a crowd and you see some tearing up at the beautiful performance.

The rest of the city, however, seems to ignore you or at least be indifferent to your presence.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-24, 04:59 PM
Only one paying us any mind, Dr. Hellsing thinks, walking over to the bard, waiting for the man to speak.

AmberVael
2011-01-24, 05:05 PM
Karla should actually be right ahead of Atarah, as she has the same ability (and a slightly better roll). So I'll let Ryuuk post first.

Invelios
2011-01-24, 05:08 PM
Karla should actually be right ahead of Atarah, as she has the same ability (and a slightly better roll). So I'll let Ryuuk post first.

He may need to reroll his init then, he rolled earlier and it was kinda low, so I don't think he applied the feat to that check. Fark he did use it and i missed it under his optional roll. Dang blast it.

Updated initiative order.
Karla
Atarah
Blue6
Blue5
GreenL
Blue1
Blue7
Blue3
Blue9
Blue8
Blue2
Blue4

Ryuuk
2011-01-24, 10:07 PM
"...and you have sealed yours." In an instant, she's gone, now standing at the back of the guard's formation. She's half crouched, a hand on her sword.

<<If you remember the harvest, Atarah, then I humbly ask you to leave some of these to me. I'm a bit behind...>>

She draws, then strikes twice more. Her blade is fast and silent, but seems cuts through nothing but air. No sooner does she finish her last cut do the guardsmen feel it. The entire line feels it. Three cuts fly past the ranks, aimed at the commander and blasting through any who stand in their way.

Move: to the space above Soldier 8 and to the right of Soldier 9.

Swift: Strike of the Triadic Quicksilver Motion x 3 (Signature Move)

Standard: Strike of the Triadic Lightning Throw x 3 (Signature Move)

The entire line between Blue8 and GreenL has to make three saves, the DC's and damage are as follows:

LT 1: DC [roll0] Reflex or [roll1] nonlethal Damage + [roll2] Vile + [roll3] Cold

LT 2: DC [roll4] Reflex or [roll5] nonlethal Damage + [roll6] Vile + [roll7] Cold

LT 3: DC [roll8] Reflex or [roll9] nonlethal Damage + [roll10] Vile + [roll11] Cold

Note: The extra move actions are used to return the blade to Karla's hand early, through the crystal. Mechanically, she throws it and calls it back three times, the fluff above, was just me taking some liberties. Both Lightning Throw and Quicksilver Motion are signature moves, so they are not expended when used.

She took the penalty to the attack roll of 29 to deal the damage as nonletha and a full two handed power attack, and hopefully send them to hell with the 9th level Dread Crown maneuver, 1 at a time, when this is over.

Cursader Maneuvers:
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

Default Stances in sheet.

AC 91

AmberVael
2011-01-25, 08:48 AM
Atarah steps to one side, shadow enveloping her and reforming her right next to the guards- or those guards Karla hasn't already dealt with, at least. In an elegant display of savagery, her sword strikes so quickly that it might be the flickering light of a candle, the blood flowing from it the shadows on the wall.

Atarah uses Shadow Blink to appear directly to the right of soldier 3. This puts her in range of most of the patrol, since she has 10ft reach. Her attacks will target the leader, soldier 3, 5, and 6 in order, targeting each one until they drop before moving on to the next. If she manages to drop all those before running out of attacks, she'll move onto any other soldiers in her reach, continuing to target them one at a time repeatedly until they drop.

She uses Time Stands Still after shifting into the Stance of Deft Hands.

Taking a -25 penalty for power attack. However, she gains a +11 bonus due to other variables (I can give a complete list if you wish, but it is a bit tedious).
She adds +50 damage to each attack from power attack, and then another +8 from Insightful Strike.

With Stance of the Deft Hands, she rolls 1d6+10 instead of 1d20, and takes a -4 penalty on iterative attacks rather than -5.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] electricity

Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] electricity

Attack 3: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] electricity

Attack 4: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10] + [roll11] electricity

Attack 5: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] + [roll14] electricity

Attack 6: [roll15]
Damage: [roll16] + [roll17] electricity

Attack 7: [roll18]
Damage: [roll19] + [roll20] electricity

Attack 8: [roll21]
Damage: [roll22] + [roll23] electricity

Attack 9: [roll24]
Damage: [roll25] + [roll26] electricity

Attack 10: [roll27]
Damage: [roll28] + [roll29] electricity

Chambers
2011-01-26, 11:02 PM
Danalis

Slightly amused at the performance Danalis reaches into a pouch and drops a platinum piece in the man's hat. "You know your way around here? I'm looking for where the mages gather, either a guild or academy or skunk infested underbar. Someone around here's got to know something about what's going on."