PDA

View Full Version : Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas!

Lycan 01
2011-01-13, 09:25 PM
OOC THREAD: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10156662#post10156662

CUTTHROATS!! TERROR ON THE HIGH SEAS!

It is the mid-1600's - the Golden Age of Piracy. On warm summer night in the port of Nassau, several strangers have found themselves in the seaside tavern The Last Resort. A few of them are the crew of a small sloop, which up until a few days ago served as a small smuggling vessel. But the beloved Captain died of natural causes shortly before they were to set sail again, and now the crew have opted to drown their sorrows in the tavern before deciding on their next course of action. The other strangers are there for other reasons, known only to themselves.

The majority of the other patrons are a mix of merchants, sailors, mercenaries, and unsavory sorts of sea dogs. There are also a handful of barmaids and wenches, all dressed in garb that serves to accentuate and show off their... personalities. But the most noteworthy thing in the tavern at that point would be the drunk old buccaneer at the bar, who keeps randomly belting out pirate tunes and sloshing his mug of booze to and fro. Every now and then, he randomly laughs and makes cryptic remarks about knowing some big secret, and bragging that for a few coins he can make a man richer than Solomon.

OMG PONIES
2011-01-14, 11:43 AM
Papa Bonu, the crew's closest thing to a medic, sits pensively over his mug of ale. He still sees his captain's face, stiff and rigid in death despite all of Bonu's attempts to stave off that fate...After a few moments of deliberation, he reaches into his robe, pulling out a few sprigs of some strange plant. He drops them into his mug, and the liquid within begins to sizzle and bubble. "For da headaches," he says before downing the steaming concoction.

The sickly old man casts a sideways glance towards the rambling drunk. "Wouldya look at dat tree wavin' its branches," he says, clearly suffering from one of his frequent hallucinations, "I think it's russlin' leaves is whispering 'bout another lost bounty. Should we be barkin' up dat tree, puppies?"

BudgetDM
2011-01-14, 01:00 PM
Maximo takes another drink of his ale.

Why'd the captain have to die just when things were getting good? We were getting some good honest pirating in, and now look at us.

He then overhears Papa Bonu's and the drunk's conversation.

Well, no point in wasting too much time in morning. Besides, the captain would never forgive me if I sat in a tavern all day when there the possibility of booty.

"Richer than Solomon my friend?" he says walking over to the drunk, "If you could do that, why aren't you living in a castle somewhere?"

Overlord Rion
2011-01-14, 01:46 PM
Unlike his companions, Tomas wasn't staring at a cup of ale. He still had trouble wrapping his head around his captain's death. The man had inspired Tomas...well, he supposed that would depend on your definition of inspired.

He hears Papa Bonu's suggestion, but before he could say a word Maximo had already taken the initiative. Works for me, I'm not much for all the conversation with drunks anyway.

Lycan 01
2011-01-14, 02:20 PM
"Aye..." the old drunk nods to Maximo, a sly grin across his face. "Y'see mate, I'm tired of the sea life. As of last week, I've retired from my... occupation. Heh heh heh..." he chuckles, taking a swig of his ale. "I got my share, and I don't intend to risk my neck again, even for a handsome bounty such as this. However, if ye want to know 'bout it... Perhaps I can share my tale with ye. For a price..." he grins.

silversnowe
2011-01-14, 03:15 PM
Evelynn takes a swill of the ale. The captain's death had hit her hard; he was, afterall, the only person to take her in after her father's crew had thrown her off. She just can't believe that he's dead now.

Her snake shifts slightly in her sleeve, where he is coiled around her arm and up across the back of her neck. She eyes the drunk warily. Probably just had too much to drink, she thinks. Still, she decides to humor him.

"And what be that price?" she asks, taking another drink.

Lycan 01
2011-01-14, 03:22 PM
The man shrugs. "Make me an offer. I'd like 500 coins, be they doubloon, shilling, or piece o' eight ..." he sips from his drink, before his eyes flash mischeviously. "Of course, I'm willing to accept other, more... creative... solutions. Heh heh heh..."

Reverent-One
2011-01-14, 08:37 PM
Richard gives a bark of laughter at the price before taking another swig of his drink, "500? Aye, you would like that to send us on a wild goose chase after this 'treasure' of yours, sailing away with naught but your word of what awaits us at the end of the journey." He turns away from the drunkard, muttering, "We've got better things to do, Captain might be dead, but that doesn't mean we should go chasing fool's gold."

silversnowe
2011-01-14, 08:52 PM
Evelynn downs the last of her drink and drops the empty cup onto the table. Five hundred coins on the word of a drunkard? I've not had enough ale to fall for that one yet. She nods in agreement with Richard and turns to see what the others think.

Lycan 01
2011-01-14, 09:10 PM
The drunk sailor's eyes narrow, and for a moment his face becomes one of intense seriousness. "Not just me word, boy. I have a map, a rather reliable one at that, which is part of the exchange." He then grins, and takes a deep gulp from his tankard. "Buuuuuut, if you don't want it... I can find somebody else who'd be interested, I'm sure."

silversnowe
2011-01-15, 08:37 PM
A map...now that's more like it. Still, she's not convinced that he is not just trying to trick them into parting with their hard earned money. She decides to keep him talking.

"Tell us more about this...treasure."

Lycan 01
2011-01-15, 09:17 PM
The old sea dog grins. "Aye, interested now ain't ye, lass?" Taking a sip from his mug, he ponders for a moment, and then looks around in a shifty manner, making sure too many people aren't listening. "Twas a Spanish treasure ship. A small galleon, bearing a horde of freshly struck gold coins. A few months ago, I was sailing as part of a privateer crew, servin' the British Crown. And..." he goes to take another sip, only to find his mug empty. He frowns, looking a bit dejected. "Aw. No more drink. Can't tell a good tale without a good drink, aye?" he smirks.

The sailor isn't about to give up the whole story that easily. If somebody buys him a drink, or manages to somehow Persuade him to keep talking, he'll provide more info. Or, you could try to come up with a more creative solution of some sort. Bribery, sweet talk, threats...

BudgetDM
2011-01-15, 10:50 PM
"Another round for my friend here." Maximo says to a barmaid.

"Please continue with your riveting tale my friend."

Keep drinking. Drunk people say more than they mean and are easier to rob if it comes to that.

Lycan 01
2011-01-16, 12:01 AM
"Huzzah!" the man proclaims, happily accepting his new mug of booze. "Where was I? Oh yes. So, our ship spotted the Spanish galleon, the Solarah, and gave chase. We exchanged a few rounds between our ships, and they quickly realized how outmatched they were. So the Solarah made to escape, and they apparently thought running the ship aground on the nearest island was the best course of action. Guess they figured they could defend themselves better for land, because they started disembarkin' from the ship and gettin' ready to fight on the beaches. Well, before we could even land..." he frowns, his expression growing dark, "Tribals came pourin' out of the jungle. Whole bunches of 'em, all dark skinned and covered in leaves an' paint. Caught the crew of the Solarah totally off guard..."

"We didn't stick around. Cap'n ordered us to turn 'round, since the natives would have been hangin' around that wreck longer than we had time to wait for. So we sailed off, watchin' 'em butcher the men who fought back, and drag off those who didn't... Miserable wretches..." he shakes his head, taking another sip of his draught.

"At any rate, its been quite awhile, and that ship ain't goin' nowhere - neither is the booty in its holds. So, if you and your buddies had a ship, and if you somehow managed to find yourselves a map to this island, then you could sneak on up in there, load off some of the treasure, and get off the island before the Tribals even know you're there... you'd be filthy rich. Savvy?" the old sea dog grins.

Reverent-One
2011-01-16, 12:59 AM
Richard can't help but get involved in the conversation again, "And why didn't your captain go back later, when the natives were tired of watching the wreck? Your map might to a ship alright, but one without anything worth taking on it."

Overlord Rion
2011-01-16, 04:53 PM
There was always another idea Tomas was having, but he was fairly sure nobody else on the crew would like it. Then again, how desperate did he have to be to even consider this a lead? Still, worth a try.

"What about cutting you in on the treasure we find?"

Lycan 01
2011-01-16, 08:46 PM
"Heh, and what if you don't ever come back to give me my share? No thanks, coin up front..." the old man smirks.

silversnowe
2011-01-16, 11:28 PM
Evelynn leans toward him slightly, putting a disarming smile on her face.

"We can trust yer word that this treasure exists no more than ye can trust ours that we will return with yer portion then. Tell ye what, mate, ye' drop the price up front and we'll return with the other portion if this treasure really exists."

Persuasion roll: [roll0]
Wild card: [roll1]

Lycan 01
2011-01-18, 11:11 PM
The old man narrows his eyes, then cracks a smile. "How 'bout we meet in the middle? Give me 250 coinage as insurance. You can take it out of my share when you bring it back to me, aye lass?" he flashes a crooked grin.

BudgetDM
2011-01-20, 01:20 AM
Maximo leans over and whispers to Evelynn, "Unless you think you can get a better deal, I say we take this."

Part of him thinks that this is too good to be true, be the siren song of treasure has him.

Reverent-One
2011-01-20, 09:18 PM
"If the rest of you are willing to pay to humor this fool, go right ahead," Richard says, shaking his head, "I don't have the money to waste."

OMG PONIES
2011-01-21, 10:54 AM
Papa Bonu reaches into his robe, worldlessly pulling out a pouch that seems much too large to be contained within his clothes. He sets the coinpurse down in front of the drunkard. "Two and a half-hundred shinies, give or take," he whispers matter-of-factly, as if the coins meant nothing to him. "Now you be givin' us da map so my puppies quit yippin'. We be going 'fo da seas get much sicka." He holds out his hand expectantly for the map.

Lycan 01
2011-01-21, 02:07 PM
"Thank ye!" the old man grins, taking the gold from the old Witch Doctor. He then produces a battered old map from his jacket, and hands it off to Papa Bonu. "Any sailor worth his salt can read that map. Should take ye three days to get there, unless ye hit a storm or some other trouble 'long the way. Be careful, though..." he growls, his expression growing grim, "And don't underestimate the natives. I saw what they did to the crew of that ship... Don't let your guard down..."

Papa Bonu loses 250 coins, but gains a Treasure Map! Its easy enough to read, and sure enough, a fast sloop could easily make the trip in 3 days, maybe even faster if the winds are right.

OMG PONIES
2011-01-21, 04:13 PM
Papa Bonu unrolls the map, studies it for a quick moment, and rolls it back up with a satisfied nod. "We be going now," he tells the drunkard, "but we be comin' back soon now with the rest of your shinies, tree. Everytin gon be irie."

BudgetDM
2011-01-21, 10:46 PM
Best remember to not leave Bonu in charge of ships treasury.

"Well it seems we have a new heading my friends." says Maximo, "I say we finish our drinks and make ready."

Overlord Rion
2011-01-24, 11:08 AM
"I'm in agreeance. We should get our booties out of here to grab some booty, right?"

And with that, Tomas slowly dragged himself from the table and clapped Papa Bonu on the back. "We'd best be going"

OMG PONIES
2011-01-24, 12:16 PM
Papa Bonu, his eyesight decreasing as his age increases, is spooked by the hand on his back. "This tree's no mangrove, but dare be duppies here, puppies!" he shouts, "Guardin' da treasure, no doubt. Quick--get around a corner!" He scurries away from the bar, turning behind a wall to hide near the tavern's fireplace.

OOC: For the meaning of "duppies" (Google Books link). (http://books.google.com/books?id=nvcOZIl7KkQC&pg=PA224&lpg=PA224&dq=island+slang+for+evil+spirits&source=bl&ots=lyVhPItsw-&sig=Gq1lQ0Z0qJgxDBumb8e49slWtCE&hl=en#v=onepage&q=island%20slang%20for%20evil%20spirits&f=false)

Reverent-One
2011-01-24, 08:12 PM
Richard chuckles at the turn of events, setting down what's left of his drink before going after Bonu. "Come on, old man, no spirits here. It's just Tomas, and he's not that ugly."

silversnowe
2011-01-24, 10:38 PM
Evelynn stands up, stretching languidly, and makes to follow the others. "Aye, off to find us some treasure now," she says, smiling.

Lycan 01
2011-01-24, 11:00 PM
Their business concluded, the rag-tag group sets out for the docks, hoping to make way on their journey as soon as possible.

Waiting at the docks is their ship, the Resolute; a small British-made sloop, it boasts a single mast and two small swivel-guns. The mini-cannons are located on either side of the main deck, mounted on the railings near the center of the ship. The ship is small and compact, with room for only about 10 or so crew and a small cargo along with basic provisions. But its also very fast, and it doesn't sit deep in the water even when laden with cargo, allowing it to traverse sand bars and reefs that would strand or gut larger ships.

Before the ship can set off, basic preparations must be made, and of course, a Captain needs to be selected.

The ship needs to be prepared to set sail. 3 people need to make Boating/Sailing/whatever checks and pass. More people can attempt, even more than once, but 3 passes (or 2, if somebody gets a Raise) must be made before the ship can set sail.

And yeah, pick a Captain if you want to have a neutral mediator and stuff to avoid conflicts and whatnot. XD

BudgetDM
2011-01-25, 02:34 AM
"My friends," says Maximo as he starts to make the ship ready to make way, "We cannot delay this any longer. We needed to choose a new captain. Personally I would say I am a poor choice. A captain should know more than just sword and piloting a ship."

Boating Dice: 1d8+2
Possible Ace: 1d8

Wild Dice: 1d6+2
Possible Ace: 1d6

Overlord Rion
2011-01-25, 06:21 PM
Tomas decides to help Maximo get the ship ready. As he does so, he states "It is good to know your limitations my friend. But, I would like to throw in my hat for being the captain. I would like to think I would do well. Anyone else want to throw theirs in?"

Boating:[roll0]
Wild Dice:[roll1]

OMG PONIES
2011-01-26, 11:02 AM
Papa Bonu hops aboard the Resolute, scurrying across the planks of the deck to his trove of odd herbs, animal parts, and other trinkets. He pulls out a wooden bowl full of a liquid that smells like bile and begins rubbing it on the ship's riggings.

"We comin' home, sick Mama Ocean," he chants as he lathers on the bile, "and we be asking that meals be made fo' us and not from us. May we cut through the waters like blades and not the other way. May we find gold and not graves. May we outrun the duppies and outgun the others. We be comin' home, sick Mama Ocean, we be comin' home..."

1d4-2 1 (see OOC)

[roll=Boating Wild Card (untrained)]1d6 4 (see OOC)
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

EDIT: Apparently parentheses mess up the roller. Will be rolling the two untrained rolls in the OOC. So, since my Wild Card die was a 6 before the modifier, does that mean I ace? If so, my boating total is a 7, while my Faith total is a 9, right?

silversnowe
2011-01-26, 07:00 PM
Evelynn climbs aboard the Resolute and starts to help get the ship ready. As she does, her snake slithers out of her shirt and makes himself comfortable on the deck.

"Myself, I'll be keepin' out o' this captain business. It's not for me."

Boating: [roll0]
Wild: [roll1]

Reverent-One
2011-01-26, 08:27 PM
With a shrug, Richard keeps working, "I have no problem leaving the thinking to you. Just keep the booty coming in and I'll be happy."

Throwing in my rolls just in case:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Mambo
2011-01-27, 08:42 AM
Solimon emerges from below decks, having stayed with the ship for most of their visit to port. "Salut, mes amis! Anything interestin' happen in the tavern?"

He hadn't felt like socializing much. He had said some prayers in the cabin and played his fiddle a bit while the others were ashore.

Reverent-One
2011-01-27, 07:29 PM
"Nothing exciting, though these others bought an old drunk's story of a lost treasure and a map. Even if he was right, the map just leads to an island filled with angry natives."

silversnowe
2011-01-28, 11:11 AM
"In other words, we be off to an adventure," Evelynn says with a wink as she tightens a knot.

Lycan 01
2011-01-28, 02:46 PM
In a stunning show of sailing prowess, the crew of the Resolute have it ready to set sail in just minutes. With blazing speed and expert precision, they secure, batten, tie, prepare, fasten, and various other verbs. Before long, the ship is setting sail from port, and the crew begins their quest for booty...

The ship has enough food for a few weeks travel. I'm not going to be a jerk and force y'all to eat shoe leather to survive. :smalltongue:

Now, does anyone have a spyglass, or good perception? It may be prudent or wise to place somebody on watch up in the crow's nest, just in case you spot another ship on the horizon. If that's the case, you can then decide what you want to do about it... Or y'all can just not bother with watching for ships, and sail directly for the island.

Overlord Rion
2011-01-31, 03:47 PM
"Well, I suppose that makes me captain. Captain Tomas...nice sound to it. Anyway, someone had best take watch up in the crow's nest. Don't want us being surprised n' all."

Tomas sighed. "Let's make the old captain proud, shall we?"

Reverent-One
2011-01-31, 10:39 PM
"I'll take the crow's nest," Richard says, climbing the ropes up the mast. "Captain Tomas"

Guess I'll throw a Notice roll in now.
[roll0]
[roll1]

BudgetDM
2011-02-01, 12:38 AM
From his post at the ship's wheel, Maximo yells to Captain Tomas, "Congratulations on becoming captain, my friend. Hopeful all of the horrible treacherous deeds you did to gain the position never catch up to you."

Overlord Rion
2011-02-04, 03:18 PM
Tomas smiles at Maximo's comment."I would take that to heart, but I have yet to do anything too treacherous."

Lycan 01
2011-02-04, 04:30 PM
Two days pass, and nothing is sighted. That may be more-so the fault of Richard's attention span and eyesight, rather than the existence of sails on the horizon or lack thereof. But shortly after dawn on the third day, Richard spots something on the horizon - an island!

As the ship draws closer, the crew can soon make out the details of the landmass. The island is tropical, and it is formed in the shape of a crescent. It is 3 or so miles long, and has a width of about half a mile at its widest point. There is a mountain centered near the middle of the island, with tall cliff-faces and luscious jungles surrounding and topping it.

The Resolute is approaching the "open" side of the crescent. The mountain on this side of the island sports an awe-inspiring waterfall near its center. And when the crew's attention wanders from the waterfall, they soon spot something nearby, marooned upon the sandy shores. Its a ship! But until the crew can get ashore and investigate, its identity and condition are a mystery...

silversnowe
2011-02-05, 06:34 PM
"Land ahoy!" Evelynn cries. She squints at the island in the distance, her snake slithering behind her as she walks across the deck to get a better view. "Let's get the ship ready for landing, aye?"

Boating: 1d6
Wild: 1d6
Okay the forum dice roller is being weird? To the OOC thread, then...

Lycan 01
2011-02-05, 06:43 PM
Evelynn manages to furl the sails and slow the ship enough that the crew can drop anchor whenever they want, depending on how close they wish to be to shore, or if they wish for the ship to drop anchor at all.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-07, 05:30 PM
Papa Bonu shivers slightly as he watches the ship near the shore. "Cool chills now, puppies. Keep on the leash--we goin' in the mouth of da monster now."

Reverent-One
2011-02-07, 09:48 PM
"Aye, so there's your treasure ship. Want to go get it?" Richard asks wryly.

BudgetDM
2011-02-08, 06:01 PM
"I think we would be wise to employ stealth in this venture." says Maximo.

Overlord Rion
2011-02-14, 11:25 AM
"Stealth would be near impossible until we get to the trees. Everyone, exercise extreme caution. Someone drop the anchor and get a boat on the water." Tomas is quick to issue orders as he surveys the beach, looking for something, anything out of the ordinary.

Notice Roll: [roll0] -2 to result
Possible Ace: [roll1]

Wild Die: [roll2]
Possible Ace: [roll3]

BudgetDM
2011-02-14, 12:57 PM
"Someone get drop the anchor and get a boat on the water."

"Aye aye, sir." says Maximo as he starts to ready the long boat.

I'm still here.

Reverent-One
2011-02-14, 07:06 PM
Richard helps Maximo get the boat ready, checking his own gear to make sure he's ready to head over.

Sailing check if you want one
Sailing die-[roll0]
Wild Die-[roll1]

Lycan 01
2011-02-19, 10:36 PM
The members of the crew not ravaged by scurvy board a small rowboat, and with stunning speed make their way to shore. They discover the wreck on the shore IS in fact the Spanish treasure ship they have been seeking! It is grounded mostly out of water, and several savage gaps are visible in her hull from cannon fire. One of the masts has fallen, leaving sails and rigging dangling down from the deck to the ground below. To get aboard, the adventurers will need to hazard climbing the weathered and worn rope and cloth...

Climb checks to get aboard, for those still playing...

Overlord Rion
2011-02-19, 11:07 PM
Tomas sighs. People were weant for the ground, not climbing up above it. But it was no matter, Tomas was captain! He would show his crew how capable he was.

Roll: [roll0]
Possible Ace: [roll1]

Wild Die: [roll2]
Possible Ace: [roll3]

BudgetDM
2011-02-20, 03:18 AM
Maximo follows the captain's lead and begins to climb. Let it never be said the Maximo shied from danger.

It might, however be said Maximo can't climb for beans.
climb: [roll0]
ace:: [roll1]

wild: [roll2]
ace: [roll3]

Reverent-One
2011-02-20, 10:32 PM
Richard follows the others, gripping the old riggings hanging over the edge, praying they don't fall apart on him.

Climb-[roll0]
Wild-[roll1]
Aces-[roll2]
[roll3]

As a side note, Budget, unless I am greatly mistaken, your Wild Dice does not take the -2 penalty your untrained d4 does.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-21, 07:15 AM
Papa Bonu, too, attempts to scurry up onto the old wreck, but cannot find a foothold.

[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll]Possible Ace]1d6

Lycan 01
2011-02-23, 09:29 PM
Tomas, like the valiant captain he is, sets a good example and quickly scrambles up the tattered sails and rigging. Everyone else, though, has less luck. They all lose their footing a few times, or have clothe rip or rope snap beneath their weight. Eventually Maximo, Richard, and Papa Bonu all manage to get aboard the ship, but they're quite bruised and tired from the ordeal.

The top deck of the ship is empty, aside from a skeleton picked clean by carrion birds. It is sprawled out on the deck, which has begun to warp beneath the heat of the sun.

The lower decks of the ship hold similar sights. A few skeletons lay scattered about, likely members of the crew killed during the battle with the pirates. However, there's very little treasure to be found. The hold is empty! Well, almost empty. There are a few loose coins on the floor, as though they were dropped and forgotten, or ignored in favor of some other loot. Either the ship has already been raided, or there was never any loot to begin with...

The door to the Captain's Quarters doesn't seem to want to open, however. The heat of the sun has warped the wood, causing the door to get stuck in the frame. It will take a bit of force to open it...

Wow, only 4 people still in this? :smallannoyed:

Maximo, Richard, and Papa Bonu each take 1 Level of Fatigue.

There's enough gold so that everyone gets [roll0] coins.

Strength check to open the door to the Captain's Quarters.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-23, 10:02 PM
Papa Bonu frowns and looks at the skeletons scattered across the decks. "You taste the air, puppies? These were some salty souls.". He gestures toward the Captain's quarters with his gnarled old walking stick, a sturdy branch covered in odd scriptures and runes. "Who gon' be strong enough to open dat oak envelope? We got a gold love letter in dere. Da salty souls are whisperin' it to me."

Reverent-One
2011-02-24, 12:48 AM
"Some treasure we've got here." Richard mutters. That the Captain's door attempts to resist his efforts to open it only annoys him further, and he gives the door a good kick.

Strength to break down the door?
[roll0]
[roll1]
Aces:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Overlord Rion
2011-02-24, 11:24 AM
"That's the way to do it Richard! Show that door what for!

Tomas would help, but he knew for a fact Richard was stronger than he was. He would give it a try if the kick didn't work, but only then.

Lycan 01
2011-02-28, 02:59 PM
With a crunch and a thunk, Richard smashes the door open with his kick.

The Captain's Quarters has been utterly ransacked, with tables and chairs overturned while papers and maps lay strewn about. There's nothing of value to been seen, at least not apparently.

Notice Checks to see something out-of-place.

Overlord Rion
2011-02-28, 03:07 PM
Tomas takes a look around the room, hoping there was nothing crazy in there. the last thing he needed today was something crazy happening. Papa Bonu had given him enough crazy.

On the off chance combat starts anytime soon, I'm going to remind everyone about my Quick edge

Notice [roll0]
Ace [roll1]

Wild [roll2]
Ace [roll3]

And then the usual minus 2 for results.

BudgetDM
2011-02-28, 08:38 PM
Maximo follows the captain in the captain into the room.

"This place has seen better days."

Notice: [roll0]
Ace: [roll1]

Wild: [roll2]
Notice: [roll3]

Reverent-One
2011-02-28, 09:48 PM
Notice-[roll0]
Ace-[roll1]

Wild-[roll2]
Ace-[roll3]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-01, 01:41 PM
Papa Bonu taps his staff lightly on the planks of the captain’s quarters, an arrhythmic beat that doesn’t serve to calm any nerves. ”Da walls got no ears, but eyes,” he whispers, ”And I be seein’ what they seen—the sea and scene. Papa Bonu will tell the tale when he come back, now.” With that, the old man falls to the ground—another one of his crazy visions, equal parts helpful and hysteric.

Lycan 01
2011-03-07, 12:27 AM
Most of the crew notice a few odd things in the cabin, specifically a broken mirror and a few pieces of makeup.

Papa Bonu, however, sees more. Much, much more...

The old man's eyes perceive more than mortal men should see. The world to him takes on a blue and gray tint, and whispy blue outlines of human shapes begin to float around him like a living fog. The shades appear to be those of a captain and his officers judging from brief glimpses of their attire, their features mostly blurred and fading into smokey nothingness. The only details about them that stands out are their eyes - their white eyes, shining with unholy light.

But then... he sees someone else. They are not a ghostly blue blur like the others, but rather they seem to possess more color and form. And they possess another characteristic that separates them from the other shades - they are a woman.

Yes, this new form is that of a beautiful woman. Though the hues are muted, he can still perceive the once-colorful clothing which they are clad in, and he can tell her skin was of a tanned tone and her hair black as night. Her beauty is undeniable, her green eyes clearly visible as she looks through Papa Bonu. At least, Bonu thinks she's looking through him...

The vision then quickly fades, and the old man finds himself returned the world of the real and the living...

OMG PONIES
2011-03-07, 10:41 AM
Papa Bonu gasps and his eyes go wide. "Mama Ocean done come here!" he shouts, "Struttin' an swayin' her hips in human form. She done look right into Papa Bonu, puppies! A boat's no place for a lady, but a lady she was, and here. You see?" he says, pointing a shaky finger toward the makeup. "What rogue be usin' rouge?"

BudgetDM
2011-03-07, 08:28 PM
Maximo is silent for a moment, as he tries to rework Papa Bonu's last pronouncement something he work with. Finally, he speaks.

"There was a woman aboard this ship?"

Reverent-One
2011-03-08, 11:09 PM
Richard shakes his head in incomprehension at Bonu's rant. "If there was, she's not here now, and neither is any treasure."

OMG PONIES
2011-03-09, 11:10 AM
Papa Bonu shakes his head and wags a finger at Richard. ”Sniff da air and follow da trail, puppy. Papa Bonu done seen ‘em all, a crew of corpses, white an’ wispy like sea-torn sails. But not her; I saw da red of her mango lips, her eyes green as a papaya not ready fo’ pickin’, puppies. She lives an’ breathes still, maybe here. The old man’s voice drops to a whisper and he raises his eyebrows, hissing: “ We find her, we find her purse. Maybe better, maybe worse.” He grins a toothless smile, deeply satisfied with his last rhyme.

Overlord Rion
2011-03-10, 07:24 PM
Why must the old man rhyme? But his apparent insight into the fabric of reality itself shook Tomas slightly. Women aboard a ship was a bad thing. Bad enough to make Tomas want to leave. However, his crew would lose respect for him if he did so.

"All right crew, we have our objective. We must scour every inch of this ship."

Reverent-One
2011-03-10, 08:19 PM
"Isn't that what we just did though? Maybe this woman left with whatever treasure there was." Richard moves to the front beached end of the ship, taking a look around on the beach and surroundings for any trace of anything unusual.

Notice check-[roll0]
Ace-[roll]1d6[/roll

BudgetDM
2011-03-10, 11:11 PM
"All right crew, we have our objective. We must scour every inch of this ship."

I very much doubt that there is any treasure left here, but the captain has spoken.

"Aye aye captain," says Maximo and starts heading to the hold to search it more carefully.

If I'm not interrupted before I make it there.
Notice:[roll0]
Ace:[roll1]

Wild:[roll2]
Ace:[roll3]

Lycan 01
2011-03-11, 06:50 PM
Richard sees nothing of interest on the beach or the water from his spot atop the shipwreck's deck. And Maximo has similar luck; his search of the hold turns up nothing more than a few dead rats and what looks like the some sort of broken stone knife, or a spear-tip.

BudgetDM
2011-03-14, 01:23 AM
"Captain, I would swear on my mother's grave that I have searched everywhere and I could not find a thing. It would seem we will need to search the island," says Maximo looking out onto the strange island.

Overlord Rion
2011-03-14, 01:13 PM
"I was afraid of this, but I guess it would be too easy otherwise."

Why couldn't it be easy, just once? Tomas began to head towards the island.

"Everyone, stay alert and keep your wits about you. We have no idea what to expect on that island."

Lycan 01
2011-03-14, 01:19 PM
Directly inland from the shipwreck, the waterfall pours down from the craggy hillside of the mountain in the center of the island. If the crew wishes to get to the top of the mountain, they'll either have to directly climb it, or explore the island until they find a smoother incline to ascend.

Notice rolls, please.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-14, 02:18 PM
Papa Bonu gazes towards the waterfall. "Mama Ocean's long white tresses," he mumbles to himself as he scans the scene for any signs of life.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Lycan 01
2011-03-14, 03:42 PM
Papa Bonu:

You see a few whispy trails of smoke rising from the top of the mountain.

Overlord Rion
2011-03-14, 04:00 PM
"Now where to go, how must we do this..."

Was Tomas talking to himself? Why yes, yes he was.

Notice: [roll0]
Ace: [roll1]

WD: [roll2]
WD Ace: [roll3]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-14, 04:23 PM
Papa Bonu points to the mountaintop. "No volcano here, puppies. That heat's the hearth of home. She be there."

Lycan 01
2011-03-14, 04:29 PM
Tomas:
You see a few whispy trails of smoke rising from the top of the mountain.

BudgetDM
2011-03-14, 06:06 PM
Maximo also scans the area looking for anything.

Why yes I really couldn't think of anything more interesting to post.
notice:[roll0]
ace:[roll1]

wild:[roll2]
ace:[roll3]
Edit: And fail.

Lycan 01
2011-03-14, 06:12 PM
There is a loud thud as Maximo trips over a rock and finds himself enjoying a mouthful of delicious sand.

Reverent-One
2011-03-14, 08:50 PM
After checking over his weaponry, Richard scans the island again, looking for whatever his companions have seen.

Notice-[roll0]
Ace-[roll1]

Wild dice-[roll]1d6[roll]
Ace-[roll]1d6[roll]

BudgetDM
2011-03-14, 11:18 PM
Maximo stands up with a torrent of profanity and spitting of sand. He staggers to his feet and walks over to his shipmates.

"... and boil them all with an length of chain!" he yells, then looks at his shipmates and tries to follow their gaze, "What are you looking at?"

Overlord Rion
2011-03-18, 12:36 PM
"There is smoke coming from the top of the mountain. Bonu here says it's not from a volcano. I agree, so it must mean people. Maybe we can ask questions.

Tomas neglected to add the part about them being killed before they could open their mouths. Better if they just think it instead.

BudgetDM
2011-03-20, 02:13 PM
"Maybe we can ask questions."

"Good idea. I'm sure they'll answer if we ask..."

Maximo then draws his sword with a flourish.

"...politely."

Lycan 01
2011-03-20, 02:31 PM
OOC: Directly climbing the rocky hillside will demand a Climb check. Otherwise, you'll have to explore the island for a more manageable incline.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-22, 09:57 AM
Papa Bonu shakes his head and taps his staff on the sand. ”No now puppies. Can’t climb a boat, can’t climb a mountain. We be goin’ for a walk now.” The old medicine man doesn’t wait for a response, but begins hobbling along the shoreline.

Overlord Rion
2011-03-22, 01:45 PM
Tomas sighed. Why did Bonu do that? Though admittedly, he was an old man.

"Judging from how everyone handled the climb from earlier, let us look around first before we attempt to scale the hillside. They don't look like they're going anywhere."

BudgetDM
2011-03-22, 07:08 PM
Maximo just shrugs. What would life be like without Papa Bonu? Probably more orderly, but less fun.

Looking for better place to climb.
Notice:[roll0]
Ace:[roll1]

Wild:[roll2]
Ace:[roll3]
Edit: At least I didn't fall over this time.

Reverent-One
2011-03-24, 10:37 PM
Remembering the crazy sailor's warning, Richard makes sure to have a pistol out and ready and they explore the island.

Notice-[roll0]
Ace-[roll1]

Wild-[roll2]
Ace-[roll3]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-25, 06:31 AM
Papa Bonu scours the sands for footprints, trails, or anything that might assist the crew in finding a safe passage up the island. "Across the seas and up the cliffs, me'd rather be rollin' some spliffs." The old man chuckles to himself at his joke, but keeps his eye out for anything.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]