PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Design Styles

leper0messiah
2011-01-14, 12:43 AM
I've always been interested in graphic design, but recently I started taking a class in graphic design at my school and the teacher sent us links for sites with tutorials, downloads, printers and outputs, and inspiration!

I was browsing some of the inspiration sites and I was wondering what people call certain styles in graphic design. For instance my teacher refers to the "grunge" style as anything hardcore, dark, punk-esque, etc. Are there other terms for other styles? I'd really like a list to broaden and specify my research for inspiration.

Much appreciated:smallsmile:

yldenfrei
2011-01-14, 03:31 AM
Huh, personally, grunge is the only named graphic style that I've come across. All others, I only refer by the things I most remember about them.
Some of the keywords I use when searching for inspirational images are:

minimalist - for those designs very sparse in detail and color count, giving a very clean look.
candy - for that specific set of colors that makes you taste of sugar.
pastel - not as sweet as candy, more like marshmallows.
pop - very varied, almost always collage type design. Personally I've never managed to make this. Too spicy for my taste. :smalltongue:
arcane - for that design involving glowy magic circles.
baroque - or renaissance, for those curlicues and some such which definitely evoke that old world feel.

Of course, I'm sure someone with a proper degree in Fine Arts could direct you to a more definitive terminology. :smallwink: