PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dex and CR for objects?

magic9mushroom
2011-01-14, 10:36 AM
It occurs to my (power-mad, I know :smallbiggrin:) mind that with a bit of finagling, the Intelligent Item rules allow for the creation of a flying item that shoots lasers (and yes, I was inspired by 343 Guilty Spark).

What they do not, apparently, allow for, is the assignment of a Dex score or CR to such a being. And it can't have Dex -, since it can move.

Have I missed a default rule here?

FelixG
2011-01-14, 10:41 AM
By the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm

Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs. Intelligent items often have the ability to illuminate their surroundings at will (as magic weapons do); many cannot see otherwise.

Bolded mine. If I were to have such an intelligent item I would just use monster creation rules to stat up a construct for it.

ericgrau
2011-01-14, 10:43 AM
Intelligent items can't normally move so they normally have a dex of 0. You need to provide it a way to move, such as an endless fly spell (5x3x2000x2=60,000 gp). While no dex is specified in such a case, a dex of 10 is a pretty good default. The costs of boosting an item's int/wis/cha might be good for estimating the cost of boosting its dex/str, subject to DM approval of course.

magic9mushroom
2011-01-14, 11:06 AM
By the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm

Yeah, I saw that. It doesn't help, though.

Bolded mine. If I were to have such an intelligent item I would just use monster creation rules to stat up a construct for it.

The case I was considering was an Item Familiar that's been further enchanted by its master.

Intelligent items can't normally move so they normally have a dex of 0.

No, they do not. They normally have a Dex of -.

You need to provide it a way to move, such as an endless fly spell (5x3x2000x2=60,000 gp).

Like I said, a little finagling.

It's unclear whether Fly would work, but if it doesn't Telekinesis certainly would.

And the Fly doesn't have to be constant, just unlimited-use. After all, intelligent items can activate themselves.

While no dex is specified in such a case, a dex of 10 is a pretty good default. The costs of boosting an item's int/wis/cha might be good for estimating the cost of boosting its dex/str, subject to DM approval of course.

I was looking for actual rules.

ericgrau
2011-01-14, 11:13 AM
I don't think there are actual rules since they don't normally move. Adapting something else is required. Magic item creation itself has guidelines not rules, so you're stepping into DM approval on made up stuff from the get-go. Dex of - and 0 have the same impact by the rules: -5 AC.

Gullintanni
2011-01-14, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I saw that. It doesn't help, though.

The case I was considering was an Item Familiar that's been further enchanted by its master.

No, they do not. They normally have a Dex of -.

Like I said, a little finagling.

It's unclear whether Fly would work, but if it doesn't Telekinesis certainly would.

And the Fly doesn't have to be constant, just unlimited-use. After all, intelligent items can activate themselves.

I was looking for actual rules.

Assuming you're treating this item as a construct, you can assign it ability scores as per the normal or elite array, with exceptional mental scores as intelligent items tend to have. For CR, use the guidelines in the MM. Playtest and adjust according

There's nothing hard and fast for this. You just have to treat it as a living object, and adapt accordingly.

magic9mushroom
2011-01-14, 11:25 AM
I don't think there are actual rules since they don't normally move. Adapting something else is required. Magic item creation itself has guidelines not rules, so you're stepping into DM approval on made up stuff from the get-go. Dex of - and 0 have the same impact by the rules: -5 AC.

Dex - actually gives +0 to AC, since nonabilities have a +0 modifier.

ericgrau
2011-01-14, 11:36 AM
If so then the rules contradict themselves because items tend to have 5 AC + size modifier not 10 + size mod. Or the immobile status gives -5 AC, making it the same either way.