PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Of Horrors!!

kikesp24
2011-01-14, 01:19 PM
Hello people! so this is the thing: my D&D group an I are going to play the clasic Tomb of Horrors! (3.5) the party is formed by a cleric, a Fighter/Dwarven Def, a rogue, a wiz or sorcerer and a factatum (dungeoscape p.14), our DM gave us very good starting stats. (18 16 16 14 14 12 jejeje MUNCHKIN-SIZE ME PLZ), so what we really need is, with out spoiling any important information, what we should do, how to avoid getting killed in any DUMB way.. and what to spect from this world wide famous Dungeon... our DM itīs kind of mercy-less just for you to know, and he really doesnīt spect us to go further than 1/3 of the dungeon before dying so if anyone can help us, as i said before without telling us the details, it would be awesome!!! thxs a lot!

hydraa
2011-01-14, 01:21 PM
To avoid getting killed in a dumb way in the tomb - Refuse to enter the tomb, go to town and raise a rucus in the tavern

Kurald Galain
2011-01-14, 01:22 PM
Make repeated perception checks everywhere, and send summoned critters or elementals ahead into every corridor.

agentnone
2011-01-14, 01:26 PM
To avoid getting killed in a dumb way in the tomb - Refuse to enter the tomb, go to town and raise a rucus in the tavern

This.

I ran it about it a year ago myself. Telling you what to do to avoid death will give a lot away. It's a dangerous dungeon, but fun as hell. I honestly wish I could have played it as opposed to run it. Best advice I can give you is to have every player make a couple back up characters. It's called the Tomb of Horrors for a reason.

Gwillednt
2011-01-14, 01:28 PM
This.

I ran it about it a year ago myself. Telling you what to do to avoid death will give a lot away. It's a dangerous dungeon, but fun as hell. I honestly wish I could have played it as opposed to run it. Best advice I can give you is to have every player make a couple back up characters. It's called the Tomb of Horrors for a reason.

Yeah it's pretty fun. Not nearly as bad as it was in 1e though.

agentnone
2011-01-14, 01:31 PM

I never got to play this version. I did get to play the second half of Return tho. The group I was in was in the middle of the dungeon when I first joined them. So I missed a lot of fun stuff. Plan on actually converting the box set of Return to 3.5/PF when I get home from the desert.

kikesp24
2011-01-14, 01:34 PM

jaja ok yeah we got back up characters... iīm playing the factatum, my backup character is a Dread Necromancer that contros 198 HDs of undeads ;D, by the way we are lvl 9 jaja

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-14, 01:41 PM
I'm actually going through it for the first time right now as well, and it's been pretty fun so far. The first party was a TPK, but the second party has only lost one guy so far. We consist of: Half-dragon hexblade (me, most of my fellows are too worldly to play anything that awesome in a game like this), a half-elf minmaxed, greenbound summoning, wildshape focused druid, an elan psion, a human cloistered cleric with Time and Travel for domains, and a pixie factotum.

Basically expect death, and/or very, very slow gameplay once everyone learns what's up, and you begin inching your way through with ten-foot poles, agonizingly searching every bloody square.

Edit: Ah, and you'll learn pretty quick to take notes, have someone in the party write down what does what, etc, or maybe take turns.

kikesp24
2011-01-14, 02:05 PM
I'm actually going through it for the first time right now as well, and it's been pretty fun so far. The first party was a TPK, but the second party has only lost one guy so far. We consist of: Half-dragon hexblade (me, most of my fellows are too worldly to play anything that awesome in a game like this), a half-elf minmaxed, greenbound summoning, wildshape focused druid, an elan psion, a human cloistered cleric with Time and Travel for domains, and a pixie factotum.

Basically expect death, and/or very, very slow gameplay once everyone learns what's up, and you begin inching your way through with ten-foot poles, agonizingly searching every bloody square.

Edit: Ah, and you'll learn pretty quick to take notes, have someone in the party write down what does what, etc, or maybe take turns.

ouch TPK... jaja i guess thatīs what we should spect... jaja we some times do stupid things, but this time we are freking out, every body is buying potions like crazy, nobody wanted to be the rogue beacause ahm you know.. death in a box/door/pit trap/stick/ floor/ statue/gems/ monsters.... everywherer.. jajaj o that reminds me; one thing i want to know; we should be prepared to face more traps that monsters??. what we should do if we get stuck; like.. we are in a room and we donīt know what to do... for example ther are no doors moving ahead and the other door itīs a freggin death trap... can we blow up a wall? or something? o we should go back.. and try to find secret doors?

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-14, 02:22 PM
ouch TPK... jaja i guess that what we should spect... jaja some times do stupid things, but this time we are freking out, every body is buying potions like crazy nobody wanted to be the rogue beacause ahm you know.. death in a box/door/pit trap/stick/ floor/ statue/gems/ monsters.... what ever.. jajaj o thats one thing i want to know. we should be prepared to face more traps that monsters??. what we should do if we get stuck like.. we are in a room and we don+t know what to do... for example ther are no doors moving ahead and the other door itīs a freggin death trap... can we blow up a wall? or something? o we should go back.. and try to find secret doors?

Well, if I were you I would go in with as little advice as possible; experiencing it yourself is probably much more fun. No one in my party had played any version of it before, so we had no idea what to expect.

Still, if you insist: (Advice, not actual spoilers) Potions probably aren't going to be super useful, just make sure someone in the party is capable of removing any ailments you might encounter. I'd say the dungeon itself is more dangerous than any creatures found in it (I'm still only like halfway through it myself); combat for my party (the second party) has been a cinch so far. My party has resorted to chopping down walls several times so far with adamantine weapons, so you might want at least one of those; just cutting through solid walls isn't going to get you safely through the dungeon though, it requires a lot of very careful exploration. In at least one part, even a little damage reduction can be very helpful, if it's the right kind, but in general a good solution, for a non-good party, is to summon creatures and send them through things instead of going yourself.

kikesp24
2011-01-14, 02:28 PM
Well, if I were you I would go in with as little advice as possible; experiencing it yourself is probably much more fun. No one in my party had played any version of it before, so we had no idea what to expect.

Still, if you insist: (Advice, not actual spoilers) Potions probably aren't going to be super useful, just make sure someone in the party is capable of removing any ailments you might encounter. I'd say the dungeon itself is more dangerous than any creatures found in it (I'm still only like halfway through it myself); combat for my party (the second party) has been a cinch so far. My party has resorted to chopping down walls several times so far with adamantine weapons, so you might want at least one of those; just cutting through solid walls isn't going to get you safely through the dungeon though, it requires a lot of very careful exploration. In at least one part, even a little damage reduction can be very helpful, if it's the right kind, but in general a good solution, for a non-good party, is to summon creatures and send them through things instead of going yourself.

well thxs! i think i will follow your advice... and try it without any more warnings jaja thxs a lot!

Squark
2011-01-14, 02:35 PM
Hmm... there's a girl genius strip out there that should put you in the right mindset. Lemee see if I can dig it up after school.

Also, DON'T. TOUCH. ANYTHING. And expect several party members to end up exploded, dissolved, or otherwise horrificly killed. It's just part of the adventure.

Chess435
2011-01-14, 02:36 PM
I still have a copy of the old 1E tomb:belkar:

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-14, 02:37 PM
Those stats are meaningless. You will die. A lot...or once depending on WHERE you die.

Squark
2011-01-14, 02:42 PM
Ah, here it is (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070725)

For the record, I don't think many of those warnings apply in the tomb itself

grimbold
2011-01-14, 02:48 PM
its REALLY HARD, before you start i will tell you EVERYTHING IS TRAPPED, and under no circumstances should NEVER TOUCH AN ALTAR IT WILL KILL YOU!!
this dungeon is like most likely in the world to TPK you.
all in all its really fun

Arbane
2011-01-14, 03:15 PM
I forget who said it, but the best quote about the original ToH:

"The Tomb of Horrors is an intelligence test. If you go in, YOU FAILED."

Drumbum42
2011-01-14, 03:18 PM
I still have a copy of the old 1E tomb:belkar:

When I went though this it was in 1E. DM thought it was going to be to easy at the beginning, so he added a save or die fight for 'fun'.

How we all survived:

1) Lots of saving throw modifiers.
2) Assume every door/hallway is a death trap.
3) Wizard Eye + Unseen servant dragging a brick simulates a person. It sets off 70% of traps.
4) We brought 12 dogs. They would set off any other traps. (None of the dogs got out alive... PETA may have a problem with that one.)
5) Don't be greedy, no one just leaves treasure lying around. If it's too good to be true, be afraid.
6) improvise. The best laid plans of mice and men.....

I forget who said it, but the best quote about the original ToH:

"The Tomb of Horrors is an intelligence test. If you go in, YOU FAILED."
Hahaha.. not totally untrue. Just be afraid of anything that moves... or doesn't move.

WeLoveFireballs
2011-01-14, 03:23 PM
Do not prepare "How to survive the trap". Most stuff doesn't care about your massive HP and kills you anyway. If you are hit by a trap you are screwed. Have something else trigger it.

Squark
2011-01-14, 03:30 PM
Yeah, a lot of traps either deal so much damage that characters of your level will not survive no matter how high your hp is, or don't even deal damage. Also, everything will kill you. Even the desk lamp. Especially the desk lamp.

And yes, I'm aware that the dungeon doesn't actually have a desk lamp. It will kill you anyway.

WeLoveFireballs
2011-01-14, 03:47 PM
And NEVER assume you are safe from a certain trap. Ever.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-14, 08:36 PM
Don't think that you're clever because you disarmed a trap. There are more.

If you're one of the people who never made it past the real main hallway, you know what I'm talking about.

The lever in the trapped box is also a trap? that's just sadistic. I mean...come on.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-14, 09:00 PM
I still have a copy of the old 1E tomb:belkar:Interestingly, a variation on the Trapsmith Wizard build works there, too, if you managed to get a Summon Monster spell, Detect Magic, and Tongues. You'll need a rather lot of food & water, though.