PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Kyton Pathfinder PC

Cirrylius
2011-01-14, 01:38 PM
As always, I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere; I'm no great shakes at wringing the best use out of a search engine.

I am starting a new campaign very soon, with a very liberal DM, and I've chosen to play a Kyton character concept I've had in the back of my mind for years; think an evil Spider-Man, maybe going mixed fighter/rogue, or maybe just one or the other, concentrating on battlefield control if I can scrape together the feats for it.

My first question is one of Optimization. I didn't realize until after I'd agreed to join that the group I'm joining is notorious for rules abuse and min/maxing. While I ordinarily don't approve of twinking characters for the sake of it (especially with a role-playing opportunity like playing a Fiend will offer) I get the feeling that unless I get some advice on how to get the most bang for my buck I'll be running to keep up for the whole campaign. We're starting at 5th level (I'm petitioning the DM to let me play a CR 6 character with a negative level until the rest of the party catches up), starting at average stats for our race plus 20 points to distribute. I'd appreciate advice on stats, feats, skills, equipment (where can I find costs for adamantine chains, for example), and possible class progressions (taking into account the extra levels gradually granted for starting as a monster). My optimization won't be PERFECT, because it's just too useful and interesting to spread skill points around, and because the character concept is slightly smarter and more charismatic than others of its kind, but hey- every advantage I take away from the forum gives me a little bit of leeway to play around with less munchkin-ish ideas.

The second question relates to the Kyton's stats themselves, which strike me as a little vague. For example, the Kyton gets 4 chain attacks; meanwhile their Dancing Chains ability lets them control up to 4 chains within 20 feet as a standard action, attacking or moving as desired. Is it assumed that a Kyton will always attack using Dancing Chains, or is the four chains its full attack option? Can the Kyton attack with one chain four times, or must he use four chains to get four attacks (in other words, do I need 4 magic weapons for full effect)? Or the fact that Dancing Chains allows the controlled chains to grow up to 15 feet longer; would that give the Kyton a reach of 15 feet MORE that its ordinary reach of 10 feet?

...But I ramble. You get the idea. Thank you very much; any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-14, 03:47 PM
There's a Kyton monster class in either Savage species or Planar Handbook, I don't remember which. I'm pretty sure it's more than an ECL 6, though... but at least you wont have to rely on you negative level petition going through.

true_shinken
2011-01-14, 03:49 PM
There's a Kyton monster class in either Savage species or Planar Handbook, I don't remember which. I'm pretty sure it's more than an ECL 6, though... but at least you wont have to rely on you negative level petition going through.

Pathfinder uses different rules for playing monsters.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-14, 03:56 PM
Pathfinder uses different rules for playing monsters.

Oh, my bad.:smallredface:

Starbuck_II
2011-01-14, 04:30 PM
The second question relates to the Kyton's stats themselves, which strike me as a little vague. For example, the Kyton gets 4 chain attacks; meanwhile their Dancing Chains ability lets them control up to 4 chains within 20 feet as a standard action, attacking or moving as desired. Is it assumed that a Kyton will always attack using Dancing Chains, or is the four chains its full attack option? Can the Kyton attack with one chain four times, or must he use four chains to get four attacks (in other words, do I need 4 magic weapons for full effect)? Or the fact that Dancing Chains allows the controlled chains to grow up to 15 feet longer; would that give the Kyton a reach of 15 feet MORE that its ordinary reach of 10 feet?

...But I ramble. You get the idea. Thank you very much; any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I believe it is assuming Dancing Chains ability. It is the race's signature move after all.

Cirrylius
2011-01-16, 11:50 AM
Wow. In retrospect, after the first playtest, this thing may not need to be optimized. A strength and AC in the 20's, four attacks w/o using a full attack option at +16 to hit and 2d4+7 damage, damage reduction and regeneration. I haven't even started screwing around with the feats yet, but just to keep from outshining other players (and drawing down DM wrath) I think I'll bide my time on the balls-to-the-wall combat stuff and go with a Weapon Focus/Dazzling Display/Intimidating Prowess thing to do a debuff in the first round of combat.