PDA

View Full Version : Iron Photographer Contest: Interested?

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-14, 07:20 PM
We have the Iron Avatarist and Iron Poet, so was wondering how many here are handy with a camera and would have enough time and access to various possible settings to enter?

I likely would not run it, as I would like to enter myself, but I might could. Still learning all the potential my camera has and all, so also not the best to ask for advice, so someone with schooling or a professional would probably be best to judge.

Comments, suggestions?

Haruki-kun
2011-01-14, 08:27 PM
We have the Iron Avatarist and Iron Poet, so was wondering how many here are handy with a camera and would have enough time and access to various possible settings to enter?

I likely would not run it, as I would like to enter myself, but I might could. Still learning all the potential my camera has and all, so also not the best to ask for advice, so someone with schooling or a professional would probably be best to judge.

Comments, suggestions?

Hmmm.... POTENTIALLY interested, would not necessarily join. I don't usually post pictures on the Internet....

How would it go? Like Iron Avatarist?

Vaynor
2011-01-14, 08:36 PM
I've actually been thinking about starting this up for a while, but never have because I'd want to participate, and I just never got around to it. So, I might want to run it, but would prefer to be a contestant! I need some motivation to get out my camera more often.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-14, 08:40 PM
Somewhat. I'm thinking it's only be a week or two-week long contest since you'd only be entering one or two pics.

Each contest would have a theme.

Like perhaps Light and Dark. Theme is contrasting light levels.
Example from my DeviantArt: Cursed Light (http://karribi.deviantart.com/art/Cursed-Light-193014907)

Or another, Text Me, where you take a picture of anything with words on it.
Example: Little Librarian (http://karribi.deviantart.com/art/Little-Librarian-II-167304279)

That sort of thing, though probably will limit it to photos taken since the contest was posted.

We could either have a general vote each time from anyone who wanted to vote and tally them, or choose judges.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-14, 10:37 PM
Somewhat. I'm thinking it's only be a week or two-week long contest since you'd only be entering one or two pics.

Each contest would have a theme.

Like perhaps Light and Dark. Theme is contrasting light levels.
Example from my DeviantArt: Cursed Light (http://karribi.deviantart.com/art/Cursed-Light-193014907)

Or another, Text Me, where you take a picture of anything with words on it.
Example: Little Librarian (http://karribi.deviantart.com/art/Little-Librarian-II-167304279)

That sort of thing, though probably will limit it to photos taken since the contest was posted.

We could either have a general vote each time from anyone who wanted to vote and tally them, or choose judges.

I disagree with general vote. Judges is a much cleaner approach.

I wouldn't mind running the contest, but then I'd request it be like.... a Baton pass. "I ran this one, you're up, VT," you run the next one, "Done, Vaynor, your turn", and so on. Because of course, I also want to participate.

EDIT: Also, what would the rules on post-production be? Photoshop allowed or not?

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 02:03 AM
I disagree with general vote. Judges is a much cleaner approach.

I wouldn't mind running the contest, but then I'd request it be like.... a Baton pass. "I ran this one, you're up, VT," you run the next one, "Done, Vaynor, your turn", and so on. Because of course, I also want to participate.

EDIT: Also, what would the rules on post-production be? Photoshop allowed or not?

I agree with the judges statement, it's cleaner.

I wouldn't mind running it indefinitely, I'm into photography but not really into taking it, more like seeing what people do with it.

And I believe post-production would have to be banned as it would be too easily abusable as you can pretty make an image anything else with it if youtube Adobe® Photoshop® Elements software users are to be believed.

Vaynor
2011-01-15, 05:15 AM
That would also give an unfair advantage to film cameras, depending on your definition of "post-production". I think photoshop and the like would have to be allowed, photographic editing has been around since photographs, basically.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 05:50 AM
That would also give an unfair advantage to film cameras, depending on your definition of "post-production". I think photoshop and the like would have to be allowed, photographic editing has been around since photographs, basically.

Then there would have to be rules limiting it since it would also give an unfair advantage to software, not everyone can cash a Adobe CS5.
And I think the focus is more photography than editing so I lean against it or limiting it.

Also, what categories would be considered on each contest and what sizes, should be handled?

Vaynor
2011-01-15, 06:52 AM
Then there would have to be rules limiting it since it would also give an unfair advantage to software, not everyone can cash a Adobe CS5.
And I think the focus is more photography than editing so I lean against it or limiting it.

Also, what categories would be considered on each contest and what sizes, should be handled?

But then you have people with cameras that allow you to make changes before you even take the picture, which would give people with more expensive cameras an advantage. I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I think you get the idea.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 09:23 AM
But then you have people with cameras that allow you to make changes before you even take the picture, which would give people with more expensive cameras an advantage. I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I think you get the idea.

I do get the idea. But it's a photography contest, if we allow post-editing, it would become more of a photography and photo-edition contest. However there is also the camera issue, but I believe this would be more manageable, sure, there is a vast array of cameras, ranging from 30$ to 10000$, but in today's era, most cameras, even the most basic ones (I had one with 1.2 megapixels for 5 years) have the option of tampering with the image before and after, and the quality issue may be controlled by limiting size.

Serpentine
2011-01-15, 09:25 AM
Solution: multiple categories. Edited and unedited photos.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-15, 09:45 AM
Solution: multiple categories. Edited and unedited photos.
The problem though is what is 'edited'? I have a nice little digital that I have to set it to various things just to take a picture. Light levels, ISO, indoor/outdoor vivid color, fluorescent light setting... I mean, there isn't really a 'standard' setting.

Editing also is required so as to shrink down the photo to reasonable levels. What is large enough to keep from stretching the forums on average?

I'm thinking no actual 'editing'. no changing around colors or sharpening or anything. You just set it to the appropriate light levels and go for it. No tampering of the natural picture, just put it on the ideal setting of the surroundings.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 09:53 AM
I agree with The Vorpal Tribble, no editing, but adjusting within reasonable levels of the taking seems good. As for size, we could simply have a determined size, that way, better quality wouldn't matter much as the size limits it, so it would lessen the problem of more expensive cameras somewhat.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-15, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I'm OK with that. Plus, I don't really think of White Balance/Color Balance as "editing". It's there to... sorta correct something that film didn't need to have corrected.

I'll call Post Production "editing". Pictures taken with filters and such effects aren't really post-produced. They're more... pre-produced.

That's my opinion, of course. It's not some sort of official statement.

Herpestidae
2011-01-15, 02:46 PM
"Editing" pictures can be done with Picasa, a freeware from Google.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 02:53 PM
"Editing" pictures can be done with Picasa, a freeware from Google.

The problem with editing comes from the fact that Picasa is nowhere near a match to Photoshop. I have both, Picasa can't do a third of what you can do with Photoshop. I believe it doesn't even have brushes. Also, as of CS5 Photoshop is officially in the realm of ridiculously easy to use, but of course the problem is that it's price makes it rather hard to acquire for some.

Also, editing runs the risk of becoming more important than the picture taking itself, and the spirit is Photography, not photo edition.

averagejoe
2011-01-15, 09:11 PM
I dunno about all this "editing" stuff, but I'd probably give it a shot either way.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 09:18 PM
So we still have to reach some sort of consensus on the editing part and we need categories, as by Serpentine suggestion I would propose two main categories, edited and not-edited, with edition referring to anything post-production.

averagejoe
2011-01-15, 09:24 PM
Two categories seems clumsy, and I'm not sure we'd get enough contestants anyways. I agree that the spirit should be of photography and not photoediting, but that seems like a problem that could be solved on the judge's level instead of just disallowing pictures.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-01-15, 09:27 PM
I'd be up for judging, lucky I saw this thread, as I don't visit A&C that often anymore. Or entering.

But yeah, I'm much more in favor of un-editted.

There is the issue of editting-on-camera, but I would propose that editting is changing anything(except image size to make it more viewable on the forums) after you click the button of taking the photo. Before is mainly how you take the picture.

As for credits, well I'm a second year media design student, with a focus on film & photography. I don't really post my photography on the internet, but yeah, I do know something of it.:smalltongue:

I'l post more tomorrow when it's not 3.30 in the morning.:smallsmile:

--- in my oppinion ---

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 09:38 PM
Two categories seems clumsy, and I'm not sure we'd get enough contestants anyways. I agree that the spirit should be of photography and not photoediting, but that seems like a problem that could be solved on the judge's level instead of just disallowing pictures.

I agree with you, two categories does seem clumsy, so, No Categories?, just a general theme, judges and a deadline. I'm inclined to go with 3 judges at first since it prevents draws and because 5 just seems too much for now.

Szilard
2011-01-15, 09:52 PM
What if there's a three-way tie?

averagejoe
2011-01-15, 09:58 PM

Battle to the death!

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 09:58 PM

Those are EXTREMELY rare and if they happen I guess the one running it gets a tiebreaker vote.

Gimliggamer
2011-01-15, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't mind judging for/running this. it seems reasonable. And for the earlier debate, couldn't that just be solved by having a trophy for best edited picture like they have for various things in IA? And on the subject of editing software, GIMP is free online and it rivals photoshop. It's also easy to use once you get the hang of it, it's just a bir confusing if you try to jump right in.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-15, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't mind judging for/running this. it seems reasonable. And for the earlier debate, couldn't that just be solved by having a trophy for best edited picture like they have for various things in IA? And on the subject of editing software, GIMP is free online and it rivals photoshop. It's also easy to use once you get the hang of it, it's just a bir confusing if you try to jump right in.

That's what was proposed, but there is also the fact that it would look clumsy, and dividing it into categories wouldn't be beneficial at the moment as participation is not guaranteed and even then, it would be better to gain a considerable following before branching categories.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-17, 09:59 AM
I'd be interested in participating in this, would like a reason to keep up my photography.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-17, 03:19 PM
I don't usually post pictures on the Internet....
Was wondering, why not?

Several folks have told me this. I can't say as I've ever discovered my stuff being stolen if that's the fear.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 03:29 PM
Was wondering, why not?

Several folks have told me this. I can't say as I've ever discovered my stuff being stolen if that's the fear.

General safety, privacy, and don't want people to realize I don't actually have wings.

Anyway, I've been thinking about it and....I think I wouldn't mind running this contest for a while, if you guys want someone to. I'd need another two or three judges, though, of course.

Crimmy
2011-01-21, 03:38 PM
I'm not too busy, but way too lazy.
I could run this, but I would very much prefer not to do judging. It consumes a lot more time than I have (homework, drawing, and judging?)

However, if Monsieru Haruki would prefer to do it, I'll simply step down and mayyyybe enter the contest, though I don't really feel like it. I prefer the drawing, Iron Avatarist ones to enter.

licoot
2011-01-21, 04:09 PM
I think this is an awesome idea, and on the editing front, to be honest there are things in iron avatarist i've seen that you can't do with inkscape, in my opinion you can get a good idea across just as well with a more basic program.
And 'm happy to put myself forward for judging if needed