PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Character Art

Hawkflight
2011-01-20, 11:20 PM
At least, I think this is the place to ask. If not, please direct me to the right place?

Anyways, I'm looking for art of my character. He's a black tibbit, and the best way to describe him is as a Stealthier. He doesn't wear armor, but he wears all black. His clothing is tight, with no loose ends, and he doesn't wear a mask generally. He is armed with, amongst numerous daggers, a blackened revolver with a wand chamber, allowing it to basically shoot spells. (Usually he uses Scorching Ray, but he can change it up for a Ray of Frost, Icelance, Fireball, Magic Missile, etc.) He has Rings of Deflection, and uses stealth and movement to his advantage. (He's a Rogue/Scout, with levels in Swordsage for maneuvers.) He also wears a collar that allows him to speak any language, even in cat form.

In his human form he's short, slightly smaller than an average tibbit. He has black hair, and his skin is black as well. He looks somewhat like Kisshu, from Tokyo Mew Mew.

Domochevsky
2011-01-21, 12:02 AM
So... black on black with a dash of black? :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2011-01-21, 05:58 AM
Don't forget the shading.

...with black.

Glass Mouse
2011-01-21, 11:27 AM
Hehe. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

I'm not familiar with the more obscure D&D races, so could you put up a few pictures (or a description) of this "tibbit" creature? Google Image isn't exactly helpful, and I'd like to know what I agree to before I say yes :smallwink:

Also, some personality traits would be nice to know. Otherwise, you'll probably just get a regular "black, sneaky rogue" cliché.

Hawkflight
2011-01-22, 02:42 PM
Hehe. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

I'm not familiar with the more obscure D&D races, so could you put up a few pictures (or a description) of this "tibbit" creature? Google Image isn't exactly helpful, and I'd like to know what I agree to before I say yes :smallwink:

Also, some personality traits would be nice to know. Otherwise, you'll probably just get a regular "black, sneaky rogue" cliché.

Well, basically they're small, mischievous humanoids with skin and hair the color of their fur in cat form, pointy ears, and a noticeably feline disposition. As for personality traits, well he's spent most of his life in the wild, so he's more of a Scout, though he still relies on stealth as well as mobility. He's like a typical young cat: curious, mischievous, and ... easily distracted by something shiny.

He looks kinda like this (http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/ppgzrock5/Kisshu_in_the_Clouds_by_alex_hiro.png), except with black skin and hair.

You can find more information about tibbits in the Dragon Compendium, available for PDF download on 4shared.

Glass Mouse
2011-01-22, 03:32 PM
Okay, I'll give it a go.

I'm gonna treat it as en exercise in turning black surfaces interesting (something that's really hard to do, and I haven't mastered), so don't be disappointed if it doesn't turn out as a masterpiece :smalltongue:

Glass Mouse
2011-01-22, 07:32 PM
So, uh.

It got very black.

Here you go, though. Hope you can use it:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/022/5/7/character_art_for_someone_by_glassmouse89-d37t5vp.jpg

Domochevsky
2011-01-22, 08:00 PM
The outline certainly helps. Maybe try adding some more highlights in the hair and shirt? A stronger lightsource could be good too. :smallsmile:

Hawkflight
2011-01-22, 09:15 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. A tip: A tibbit's skin is basically like its fur. I've actually heard it said that the color comes from very fine fur, but I'm not 100% sure.

Glass Mouse
2011-01-22, 10:52 PM
The outline certainly helps. Maybe try adding some more highlights in the hair and shirt? A stronger lightsource could be good too. :smallsmile:

The shirt actually had more highlights originally, but they disturbed the drawing more than they helped... They were probably just bad highlights, though. I'll look into it (some time tomorrow... it's late, and I wouldn't trust myself to draw a straight line at this hour).

Oh, black hair, my old nemesis. So much for a "no one will notice the neglected parts!" mindset :smalltongue:

Thanks a lot for the critique.

Wow, that's pretty cool. A tip: A tibbit's skin is basically like its fur. I've actually heard it said that the color comes from very fine fur, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hm... Fur would need research and practise, as I have no idea how to draw it properly.
I'll look into it tomorrow - I know I've got a tutorial lying around somewhere :smallsmile:

Hawkflight
2011-01-22, 11:13 PM
Well, if it's critique you want, I do find it kind of odd that the light reflects so strongly off the bracers and gun, and kind of his eyes, but not the rest of him.

But hey, that's why we draw, to challenge ourselves and get better in the process.* ^_^

*by 'we' I of course mean 'you', as I can't draw worth crap.

Glass Mouse
2011-01-23, 10:04 AM
*grumble, grumble* ...stupid fur... *grumble, grumble*

Furry, more highlighted version here (any fur pointers would be much appreciated, since this version's fur sucks):
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/023/a/a/character_art_for_someone_by_glassmouse89-d37t5vp.jpg

Considering I draw a comic about feline humanoids, you'd think I would be better at this :smalltongue:

Well, if it's critique you want, I do find it kind of odd that the light reflects so strongly off the bracers and gun, and kind of his eyes, but not the rest of him.

Heh. I wasn't originally posting it here for critique, but it's always fantastic when someone takes the time to give feedback on my work :smallbiggrin:
Especially when it's something challenging like this.

As for your points: the gun is a reflective surface (metal), plus it's a lot lighter than the rest of the character's clothes and stuff. So its lightness is part reflected light, part natural lightness.
The eyes are (hopefully?) fixed now.
The bracers, heh... Artistic freedom. I was so tired of drawing black that I made them grey to offset all the darkness. I can easily change it if you want.

But hey, that's why we draw, to challenge ourselves and get better in the process.* ^_^

So true! Also, because it's fun :smallwink:

Hawkflight
2011-01-23, 01:41 PM
Oh~

....Actually, yeah, I'm gonna have to give a rain check on further comments. I think my monitor's contrast may be juuuust a bit off.

EDIT: Okay, wow. Turns out the contrast on my monitor was way too high, but the brightness was too low. Now that I can actually see the the character, I can offer some better advice.

1) The skin was actually perfect before, I just couldn't see it due to my monitor being screwed up. ^^; Sorry about that.

2) The hair's pretty good, though I dunno about the ponytail.

3) The collar should be more of a solid piece of leather, with a small opal or similar gem in the middle. (The opal is the focus for the Tongues enchantment it has on it.)

The major thing though is that he should be a bit more ... well, chibi. He's a 'small' humanoid, but with those proportions he looks more like a medium-sized humanoid. Again, he looks kinda like Kisshu, from Tokyo Mew Mew (http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/ppgzrock5/Kisshu_in_the_Clouds_by_alex_hiro.png).

Also, he should have a bit more of a curious / mischievous gleam to them.

Overall, pretty awesome art. I understand how it's difficult to work with black on black, and hey, look, more black. xP

Glass Mouse
2011-01-23, 03:57 PM
New version:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/023/8/5/character_art_for_someone_by_glassmouse89-d37t5vp.jpg

1) The skin was actually perfect before, I just couldn't see it due to my monitor being screwed up. ^^; Sorry about that.

2) The hair's pretty good, though I dunno about the ponytail.

3) The collar should be more of a solid piece of leather, with a small opal or similar gem in the middle. (The opal is the focus for the Tongues enchantment it has on it.)

Skin returned to smooth, ponytail removed.

The collar is changed as well, but you really should specify stuff like that in the first post(s). Especially since a later change can throw the design a bit off (I think it does here, honestly, but oh well).

The major thing though is that he should be a bit more ... well, chibi. He's a 'small' humanoid, but with those proportions he looks more like a medium-sized humanoid. Again, he looks kinda like Kisshu, from Tokyo Mew Mew (http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/ppgzrock5/Kisshu_in_the_Clouds_by_alex_hiro.png).

Also, he should have a bit more of a curious / mischievous gleam to them.

Overall, pretty awesome art. I understand how it's difficult to work with black on black, and hey, look, more black. xP

Chibi I can't do. I'm pretty bad with cutesy stuff and... honestly... I don't think this one could be turned from realistic to chibi/manga without massive loss of quality and artist's sanity.
Also, in my drawing's defense, D&D "small sized humanoids" generally look... well, like shrinked medium-sized humanoids. At least in my 3.5 PHB :smallsmile:

I think he looks mischievous :smallconfused: What would make the expression clearer?

If you're really set on a more manga-ish style, I can't help you. Maybe take the Kisshu picture and change the colours? Sounds like it'd be closer to your mental image of him :smallsmile:

Glass Mouse
2011-01-26, 05:20 PM
So... Could you use it?

Hawkflight
2011-01-26, 08:36 PM
It's great! Thanks. ^_^

Hawkflight
2011-02-01, 09:10 PM
Hey, think you could help me out with another character? You can find a picture of petals here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83032.jpg

My particular Petal is based on the Chrysanthemum. (http://www.eos4life.com/athen/Pink%20And%20Purple%20Flowers.jpg) I like the pink-and-purple color scheme. And of course, a riding a snow-white mouse.

Glass Mouse
2011-02-01, 10:07 PM
Hi Hawkflight

To be honest, I don't feel like it. I honestly like doing people favours, and putting a lot of work into something challenging is fun (and rewarding, especially when I get feedback from the requester or others)!

But when I don't get a small "thanks" until I directly ask for final feedback (and most of what I write goes ignored overall), I feel pretty... undervalued.

So, yeah. I don't really feel like doing more work for you.

Hope you find someone else to illustrate it, though :smallsmile:

Hawkflight
2011-02-01, 10:11 PM
Sorry. Honestly, I didn't even see you had replied, so ... sorry.

Either way, it's a pretty impressive piece of art. Black-on-black is a challenging medium. The eyes were a little dull, and the angle of the gun seems a bit off now that I come back to it, but it really was pretty impressive. (Certainly better than I could do. @_@)

Glass Mouse
2011-02-01, 10:47 PM
Thank you. Your apology is appreciated :smallsmile:

And thanks for the critique. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Hawkflight
2011-02-01, 10:50 PM
No problem.

This thread no longer has any purpose. The original request has been fulfilled. I shall take my new request to a new thread. I hereby request a moderator to loch this thread, or let it fade into obscurity.