PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage/Warlock help plzes

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-21, 11:36 PM
Alrighty, so I'm trying to design a character, and what I've got so far is Catfolk Swordsage/Warlock, pretty weird right? Basically my concept is that she was raised in a distant land by a small tribe of Catfolk who were originally a hunting party who were beguiled by mischievous forest spirits and became lost far from home. Forced to survive in an unfamiliar region of the world where spirits and demons thrived, the Catfolk began to master strange magics and martial techniques.

Ideally, this character would start at at least ECL 4, so she could be Swordsage 1/Warlock 2; her essential abilities include: martial techniques (which is what Swordsage is for; mostly I think I want Setting Sun for the throws/counters, with maybe a splash of Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand), unarmed training (IUS and eventually Superior US ought to be enough), a Shaman-like ability to perceive things that others can't (See the Unseen, Detect Magic/At Will), and knowledge of the tongues of beasts (Call of the Beast (CM).

So, I know that much, but I really don't know where I want to take the character (Favored Class is an issue), and I'm not sure how playable this character will actually be. Ideas/critiques?

Halae
2011-01-21, 11:46 PM
Your issue is that maneuvers aren't usable with eldritch blast, or even eldritch glaive. but if you can haul up Eldritch claws from dragon Magazine, then you can use your blast and maneuvers together, which is pretty rockin

Elric VIII
2011-01-21, 11:47 PM
Swordsage is the weakest of the ToB base classes, in terms of combat. That said, it makes an excelent skill monkey/infiltrator. I recommend attempting to get a SS version of Kung Fu Genius (this would require homebrew, but the precedent is already there). I find that warlock is either a small dip to get some useful invocations (+6 to skill ones) or a rather large investment to focus on Eldritch Blast, since using EB for debuffing is where they really shine.

Although, if you're talking about gestalt, the at-will invisibility works very will with the Shadow Hand maneuvers that require a flat-footed opponent.

Depending on the composition of your party, you may not have the greates effect in combat. You should be fine in social situations or as a utility character.

EDIT: +1 to eldritch claws.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-21, 11:48 PM
Which is the favoured class of a Cat folk? (I hate that rule by the way)

.hmm I think you should go Warlock 4 (for deceive Item, eldritch blast 2d6 and I think 3 lesser invocations and to have 2 IL) the rest in swordsage; make sure to take the feat eldritch claws (it is from dragon 358) which allows you to make as a free action a pair of claws that deal your eldricth blast damage. Now you can initiate strikes with your eldritch blast damage.

Also check this guide to melee warlocks, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708) something might interest you

Urpriest
2011-01-21, 11:48 PM
Well one classic thing to do with Warlock/Swordsage is Teflammar Shadowlord (or Crinti Shadow Marauder, its close kin). Both grant Shadow Pounce, and ability which lets you make a full attack after teleporting next to someone, and both need access to dimension door to get in. Warlocks get the dimension door, Swordsages get maneuvers that let them teleport as a swift, move, or standard action. So in combination you can get 3 full attacks per round all day long.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-21, 11:58 PM
Which is the favoured class of a Cat folk? (I hate that rule by the way)

Favoured class is Ranger, unfortunately...

I wasn't really planning on using a lot of strikes; I don't have much experience with ToB, so I'm not really sure what to take, but I know I want, to start, Sidestep Charge, the first SS throw, and the Tiger Claw one that let's you jump as a swift action.

Edit: Telflammar Shadowlord is a little too specific for this, I think.

true_shinken
2011-01-22, 12:03 AM
Favoured class is Ranger, unfortunately...

Actually, Pathfinder Rangers are pretty good with melee Warlocks; they gain Improved Nautral Attack as a bonus feat.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-22, 02:05 AM
*Ahem* I am struck by a sudden thought; can Hideous Blow be combined with a Strike (in the same standard action)?

Halae
2011-01-22, 02:11 AM
nope. They each require a separate standard action. If it was otherwise, it would be stated, unless your DM is willing to have a bit of leniency for it

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-22, 02:15 AM
nope. They each require a separate standard action. If it was otherwise, it would be stated, unless your DM is willing to have a bit of leniency for it

Yeah, didn't really think so, although I don't think they would go out of their way to 'state' something as specific as that.

Another question: Assuming this is a high dex character (at least higher dex than strength, given the +4 racial bonus), would it be better to take weapon finesse, or shadow blade (or both, which is kind've a big investment)?

Edit: And am I correct in assuming that Shadow Blade stacks with strength?

SilverLeaf167
2011-01-22, 04:46 AM
I don't think Shadow Blade is that good if you rely on some source of extra damage (Sneak Attack, Maneuvers, Eldritch Blast etc.), as the little bonus to damage probably doesn't matter much. You should spend the feat on buffing the damage source, which in this case is Maneuvers and Eldritch Blast. I can't really help you with how to do that, however.

It says you can add your Dex to damage, but it doesn't say you add it instead of Str, so I think you can apply both Str and Dex.

true_shinken
2011-01-22, 10:30 AM
Yeah, didn't really think so, although I don't think they would go out of their way to 'state' something as specific as that.

Another question: Assuming this is a high dex character (at least higher dex than strength, given the +4 racial bonus), would it be better to take weapon finesse, or shadow blade (or both, which is kind've a big investment)?

Edit: And am I correct in assuming that Shadow Blade stacks with strength?

Unless you have very good stats, I usually think Weapon Finesse is almost mandatory for a meleelock. With a catfolk base, I'd take it ASAP.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-22, 06:34 PM
Alright, so to summarize, what I have so far (assuming the ideal condition for this character concept of starting at ECL 4) is:

Catfolk Swordsage 1/Warlock 2

Feats: IUS, Weapon Finesse

Maneuvers/stances known: Sudden Leap, Counter Charge, Mighty Throw,... Child of Shadows (?)

Invocations known: See the Unseen, Call of the Beast

What I still need advice on is how to advance this character (I've never tried Hellfire Warlock, so that might be a possibility, but I don't know what to do with levels in the meantime, and a favored class of ranger is problematic, unless the game was blended with Pathfinder), and what to do with wealth (this is a pretty mobility/avoidance focused character).

Oh right, and I was wondering if the movement from Sudden Leap works for activating Child of Shadows; I don't really see why it wouldn't, but you never know...