PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Heroes: Passing the Torch

Zarah
2011-01-23, 06:15 PM
I don't really have a clue where I should be posting this. I know this is about my webcomic, but I'd prefer to try and get some of the traffic from the Fancomic sub-forum rather than stuffing this away into the Webcomic corner. That and it sort of qualifies as an art contest of sorts. :smalltongue: If a mod feels otherwise, then I suppose I can live with it being moved.

As you may or may not know, I'm quitting Anti-Heroes (http://www.antiheroescomic.com/comic/219). I held a vote to see what the fate of the comic would be, and it comes as no real surprise to me that the fans want the comic to continue, even if it's under a different artist. Which is why I've come here. This forum was where I started Anti-Heroes, so it seems appropriate that it be the same place I leave it. But in any event, I'll get to the point.

I'm looking for a replacement artist and writer for Anti-Heroes. Someone who has a comfortable ability with Inkscape and/or Illustrator who can more or less reproduce the same style I had. I don't expect a perfect match, however. Just be prepared to be endlessly compared by the fanbase to my own work, whether it be good or bad. So make sure you put effort into it. :smalltongue:

If you're interested in volunteering for the job, then go ahead and post some relevant art samples. I will make the ultimate decision after an indeterminate period of time and proceed to fill said person in with all the comic details. This includes all future plot developments, character backstories, etc. You will also gain administrative access to the website, where you will be able to freely post and edit comics. I'll attempt to stay on as a creative consultant, but all artwork and writing will still have to be handled by whomever I choose as a replacement. In other words, if you don't want the responsibility, then don't apply.

So, anyone interested?

Ninjaman
2011-01-24, 09:40 AM
No! You canīt kill anti-heroes. Murderer!:smallfurious:
No, seriously i love that comic.:smallfrown:

Szilard
2011-01-24, 10:01 AM
He's not killing it, he's letting someone else draw it for him.

leakingpen
2011-01-24, 10:49 AM
Awww. I just discovered it two weeks ago too. WHY MUST EVERYTHING I LOVE DIE AT MY TOUCH!?

Err, I mean...

So, if you find an artist whose not comfortable scripting, I'd be happy to do a collab and take over the writing and scripting duties. Of course, I would assume you have a plot outline stating where the comic is going, and things that are going to happen, in at least broad terms, yes?

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-24, 12:55 PM
Sad times these are :smallfrown:

HalfTangible
2011-01-24, 02:21 PM
Aye, Kobold-bard :smallfrown: Aye

I'd offer but i've got too much going on.

Prime32
2011-01-24, 03:11 PM
This is a surprise. I mean, apart from your quitting, I don't think I've seen anyone "passing the torch" for something like this before.

If you had started this thread in about a year I would have offered. Okay, I would have considered offering, spent far too long freaking out over whether I could handle it, and had about a 30% chance of actually posting. But right now college so it's moot. :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-24, 03:14 PM
This is a surprise. I mean, apart from your quitting, I don't think I've seen anyone "passing the torch" for something like this before.

In the comments section he put it to the vote whether he did an info dump of the remaining story or passed it on to someone else. Overwhelming majority voted option 2, and those damnable trolls meant he couldn't do both (which is a shame because I wanted to know how it ended).

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-24, 03:21 PM

If you had started this thread in about a year I would have offered. Okay, I would have considered offering, spent far too long freaking out over whether I could handle it, and had about a 30% chance of actually posting. But right now college so it's moot. :smalltongue:

If you are willing to go Prime I may also volunteer to take some load off. Something like one out of every three.
But I'm useless with storyboarding, not very good on deliveries and the such though I have Archive Binged up to around the half-point.

HalfTangible
2011-01-24, 03:21 PM

I have. :smallbiggrin:

Green-Shirt Q
2011-01-24, 03:25 PM
If my art didn't suck and if I had HALF the willpower to make comics as I did once a while ago, I would totally sign up for this. It'd be like being asked to write Batman. Or something you love and it equally as cool. YOU would have control over it! I totally would've done this once...

Only I can't do it anymore. I know I would be terrible for the job. :smallfrown:

licoot
2011-01-24, 03:44 PM
I think it might be a good idea for someone to send out a pm to some of the better artists who don't frequent this forum anymore

Prime32
2011-01-24, 04:44 PM
In the comments section he put it to the vote whether he did an info dump of the remaining story or passed it on to someone else. Overwhelming majority voted option 2, and those damnable trolls meant he couldn't do both (which is a shame because I wanted to know how it ended).Yeah, I read. But how often would option 2 even be suggested?

But I'm useless with storyboarding, not very good on deliveries and the suchI have never done an actual comic. At most, group (http://prime32.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2ynh8k) shots (http://prime32.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d36pp4u). And they're usually shown from the front. :smalltongue:

Mad Mask
2011-01-24, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty interested in this project. I've been (quietly) following Anti-Heroes since its beginning.

Since you probably don't know much about me, I'm going to introduce myself. I'm Mad Mask and I'm primarily known for my trademark shaded OotS-style. You can see some comics here (http://kinogo.com/victor/fi/comics/fi12.png) and here (http://kinogo.com/victor/fi/comics/fi7.png), and a few characters in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6768356&postcount=19), most from Avatar Battle Royale, where I tested the mettle of my artistic and writing skills for almost four years.

As you can also see, I'm used to shading, but I am willing to compromise this. Otherwise, I have no problem emulating any kind of art style. I can have a few fan-art snippets of Anti-Heroes ready in the next two days.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-24, 04:58 PM
Mask is also really, really slow.

Mad Mask
2011-01-24, 05:13 PM
Not necessarily. You're probably talking about the Future Imperfect intro, right? It was 7 comics that I did in the space of about a month. 7 comics/month = 1.75 comics/week, which is very respectable. The impression was simply acerbated due to the fact that I did it alone, while traditional ABR is a collaborative webcomic that allows a very fast pace due to the high number of participants.

EDIT: You can also take note at Planum Commedia, my previous webcomic in which I maintained an average of 2.5 comics/week for most of its run.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-24, 05:15 PM
Hush, sweetheart. Just agree with me. :smallfrown:

leakingpen
2011-01-24, 05:26 PM
Seriously, did you not look at the avatar? She'll CUT you!

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-24, 05:31 PM
Sh-she?

... :smallannoyed: Bad enough people get my regular drawing confused for girls even though they HAVE NO BOOBS but my avatar's body is a rectangle!

HalfTangible
2011-01-24, 05:36 PM
Sh-she?

... :smallannoyed: Bad enough people get my regular drawing confused for girls even though they HAVE NO BOOBS but my avatar's body is a rectangle!

Now now, there's nothing wrong with small boobs :smalltongue:

Come on, you walked into that one!

leakingpen
2011-01-24, 05:41 PM
My apologies, its the hair, and the name. You know what they say about making assumptions? You make an ass out of you and ... uh.... umptions.

Terry576
2011-01-24, 07:23 PM
I s'pose I can write.

Hell, I craft webcomic plots in my head before drawing the characters.

And then I don't post them. :smallbiggrin:

But me? Draw that? My backgrounds are too bleh to work for that. I could work with August or Prime pretty well though.

After all, I annoy Prime often enough as it is. :smallwink:

EDIT: And if August did the comic I would re-read the hell out of it. His avatars and detail are epic.

Neoriceisgood
2011-01-25, 06:32 PM
I used to read your stuff, liked it too, shame you couldn't pull it through, you did well when you worked on it. :smallsmile:

I hope you manage to find a competent person to follow it up, it'd be nice to see it continue in some shape or form.

Mr_Saturn
2011-01-25, 08:03 PM
First off, its sad to see your webcomic end. I had a comic of about 12 strips in length, and for one 20x longer than mine, its sad to see something that lasted so long to end. I even gave your webcomic a cameo way back when. Haha.

In any case, if you want the art style to be preserved, you can send your .svg files to the next artist with the templates for the characters. But then it's also a lost of your artistic work/integrity and I'll understand that. However, it would speed up the transition process as well and get your webcomic back on its feet sooner. That way, the new artist doesn't need to redraw every single character and the trademark expressions. But since you are basically passing down the entire story, plot, character developments, the .svg or whatever files doesn't seem like much of a jump.

Just an idea.

blackjack217
2011-01-29, 03:04 PM
I'm sad to see this comic change hands. It is one of my favorites along with Oots and Murphy's law. I hope you find a good replacement or partner for your activities.

Haarkla
2011-02-06, 04:22 PM
I'm Mad Mask and I'm primarily known for my trademark shaded OotS-style. You can see some comics here (http://kinogo.com/victor/fi/comics/fi12.png) and here (http://kinogo.com/victor/fi/comics/fi7.png), and a few characters in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6768356&postcount=19)

As you can also see, I'm used to shading, but I am willing to compromise this.
I think your shaded style would be great for the somewhat darker atmosphere of Anti-heroes. Can you do comedy?

Mad Mask
2011-02-06, 08:13 PM
Here's my personal interpretation of the Anti-Heroes. They've been pretty fun to draw, especially Keriss and Lana. For some reason, Kaal turned out to be fat, and Aldran seems a bit feminine (possibly due to the torn sleeves).

http://www.kinogo.com/madmask/antiheroes/sneakpics/protagonists.png

I think your shaded style would be great for the somewhat darker atmosphere of Anti-heroes. Can you do comedy?

Thanks. Of course I can do comedy. My early comics were very humour-driven, although recently I've been mainly attracted by black and/or british comedy.

Lyinginbedmon
2011-02-06, 09:00 PM
I think you could do with toning down the shading a ways there Mask, make it more subtle than overt, in order to avoid deviating too far from the original interpretation.

I'd personally be happy to take on another storyline, but if I did it would need to be put on hold until the end of Remember Book 5 before I could actually produce work on it (Even then likely by releasing a page from two different stories each week, rather than dedicating Remember to anti-Heroes)

smuchmuch
2011-02-06, 09:28 PM
http://www.kinogo.com/madmask/antiheroes/sneakpics/protagonists.png

(No offense but unless they all have somme angular faces and clothes too big for them, I think you got kind of carried away a lttle too far with the shading here. It doesn't help that it's very hard shading as well. it shows hard on the blond woman. (the higlighston her face look ... kinda weird,
IMHO, You should tone it down a bit, particulary on the faces.)

Mad Mask
2011-02-06, 09:57 PM
It's a personal interpretation, as I said before. I will indubitably make a more faithful version, or maybe a dozen. I like experimenting. :smallsmile:

I agree that I've been excessive on the faces, and I have changed that. I'm also studying a few art books to make my clothing folds more realistic. The over-the-top shading probably is a holder-over from the days it was the only way for me to cover my artistic deficits. :smalltongue:

I'll be trying to create a minimalistic, covert type of shading. Less is more, and a silhouette can be worth the most detailed human portrait.

EDIT: I do not take offence to criticism, for it is the bread-and-butter of any artist. People telling me "You suck!" only makes me want to improve further in order to prove them wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Szilard
2011-02-07, 06:54 PM
You know what they say, "Haters are motivators." :smalltongue:

Edit: You could try more minimalist shading like you did with this guy:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd233/SzilardG/orcbard.png
Or any of your slightly earlier work.

licoot
2011-02-10, 05:29 PM
When do you think it will get started again, i'm not hurrying just wondering

Maxios
2011-02-11, 03:46 PM
Is the posistion for writer still open?

Mad Mask
2011-02-11, 04:33 PM
Zarah has not yet chosen the successor to Anti-Heroes, so the post is still open. Although I believe that the future artist will be the one to decide whether he wants to be the one writing or whether he will defer this task to another party.

Additionally, here's a more faithful interpretation of some of the Anti-Heroes characters:

http://kinogo.com/madmask/antiheroes/sneakpics/2-threechars.png

I'm thinking of drawing a fight scene of sorts to showcase them in action. Just having static figures around, in addition from being a little boring, involves different skills from true comic-making.

runekiri
2011-02-11, 04:59 PM
Whoa!
Awesome job on the second picture mad mask.

I really hope you get the torch, cause I could definatly get used to your art.
(After seeing the first picture I must admit I was kinda hoping for someone else to get the job, but the second picture looks great).

Ninjaman
2011-02-11, 04:59 PM
Zarah has not yet chosen the successor to Anti-Heroes, so the post is still open. Although I believe that the future artist will be the one to decide whether he wants to be the one writing or whether he will defer this task to another party.

Additionally, here's a more faithful interpretation of some of the Anti-Heroes characters:

I'm thinking of drawing a fight scene of sorts to showcase them in action. Just having static figures around, in addition from being a little boring, involves different skills from true comic-making.

Looks much better. This could work with the comic.

licoot
2011-02-11, 05:15 PM
Those characters really work, I was worried that your style might clash with anti-heroes, but those fit perfectly:smallbiggrin:

that having been said, it can't hurt to try out a fue slight alterations then compare

Onyavar
2011-02-13, 07:06 AM
Mask, your 2nd interpretation is cool. I'm looking forward to see an action scene.

However, I'm wondering: Why does Keriss have a pointy butt?

Also, are there other artists lurking out there, who could give the waiting audience a scetch or two? I'm sure Mask is not the only one who can do this.

Neoriceisgood
2011-02-13, 07:54 AM
I'd give a sketch, but I haven't ever even touched the OOTS style, next to that; I don't think just every artist is interested in picking up another person's project just like that.

I mean, I'd really like to see Anti-Heroes being picked up as I did enjoy the story so far, but I could imagine that anyone capable/willing of doing their own webcomic of sorts might be much more interested in their own project.

Unless you want people who have no interest in picking this up to provide art as well, of course. :smallwink:

blackjack217
2011-02-14, 06:27 PM
The shading around the hair is weird. But still great.

Raekin
2011-02-14, 07:08 PM
Im so sad that you are doing this but im a pretty good artist so maybe.......:smallamused:

doodthedud
2011-02-14, 07:14 PM

That's pretty damn good, imo...hope you get chosen.

HalfTangible
2011-02-14, 07:36 PM
Keriss looks a little weird to me but Kaal and Lana look awesome.

Cizak
2011-02-15, 06:34 AM

Much better than your first one, actually.

Dvandemon
2011-02-17, 11:46 AM
My only question, Zarah, how you made the effect for Shadow Evocation? I really want to know
The shading around the hair is weird. But still great.

I think it has to do with the shape and styling. It's weird to have thick lines with considerable shading (especially with hair seems to be cut in a straight line at the bottom); People, please stop quoting images, it makes my computer lag (and is pretty redundant since the pic is on the same page)

HalfTangible
2011-02-17, 11:56 AM
My only question, Zarah, how you made the effect for Shadow Evocation? I really want to know

I think it has to do with the shape and styling. It's weird to have thick lines with considerable shading (especially with hair seems to be cut in a straight line at the bottom); People, please stop quoting images, it makes my computer lag (and is pretty redundant since the pic is on the same page)
My guess:

Draw line shapes for the lightning
Convert the stroke a path
Duplicate.
Make the lower one black and above 5 pixels wider.
Blur it
Use either mask or clipping to cut out the solid part of the lightning shape in the now blurry black stuff.
Make the lightning 60% opacity.

Or something like that :smalltongue:

Dvandemon
2011-02-17, 02:47 PM
Yeah I thought something similar, but Blur (at least for me) blurs both fill and stroke so I don't that clean cut look. EDIT: I just had a thought: what If try what you did but with grouping in there somewhere? Hmmm, must experiment

Zarah
2011-02-17, 11:31 PM

I like the style you have there. That kind of detail could really do a lot for some of the future scenes I had planned. That said, I think some of the shading might still be a little much, especially once you get a background and some action going. However, I'll save that judgment if you do end up putting together a fight scene.

So far, it looks like you could very well be getting the job, Mad Mask. I have no doubt that you can handle it artistically, but I only worry that you won't be able to keep up a semi-reliable schedule. Your posts are few and far between and I don't know if that's just because you're not posting or you're too busy. I just don't want to hand something onto you that will just overwhelm you. And the last thing I want is for the fans to have to deal with another me. :smalltongue:

Draw line shapes for the lightning
Convert the stroke a path
Duplicate.
Make the lower one black and above 5 pixels wider.
Blur it
Use either mask or clipping to cut out the solid part of the lightning shape in the now blurry black stuff.
Make the lightning 60% opacity.

Hell no. That's way more complicated than anything I ever did. But there's a significant difference in my version: I used Photoshop, not Illustrator. As I've said before, all my drawings are done in Illustrator, but my comic composition and certain effects are done in Photoshop, since I'm much more comfortable in that program than I am with the former. The method you suggested might work in other programs, but for what it's worth here's how to do it in Photoshop:

Draw object in Illustrator; Open in Photoshop and paste it as its own layer
Open the Blending Options by double clicking the layer; Turn the fill opacity to 0
Add an external drop shadow; Set distance to 0
Play with the remaining settings until desired effect is achieved

HalfTangible
2011-02-17, 11:34 PM
I was describing how i thought it might be made in inkscape.

Mad Mask
2011-02-18, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Please continue with bashing me constructively criticising me. :smallsmile:

I like the style you have there. That kind of detail could really do a lot for some of the future scenes I had planned. That said, I think some of the shading might still be a little much, especially once you get a background and some action going. However, I'll save that judgment if you do end up putting together a fight scene.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed when I post it. I'll try keeping the background as close as possible in style to that of your comic; as you know, I'm quite adaptable to any criticisms you or anyone else might have. :smallsmile:

ISo far, it looks like you could very well be getting the job, Mad Mask. I have no doubt that you can handle it artistically, but I only worry that you won't be able to keep up a semi-reliable schedule. Your posts are few and far between and I don't know if that's just because you're not posting or you're too busy. I just don't want to hand something onto you that will just overwhelm you. And the last thing I want is for the fans to have to deal with another me. :smalltongue:

Thanks for the compliment.

It's not just you, I've been slower in my posting recently. It's not because of a busy schedule (I have a lot more free time than other people of my age), but rather that I've been to disparate in my activities. There are so many things I want to do that I finally can't bring myself to do any of them, and it's not helping that I have high standards.

Which is why I jumped on this project. In addition to continuing one of my favourite webcomics, I would be able to find a clear, concise goal that I can focus on. And that's what my life leisure time have been missing.

Enough boring existential crises, this Mad Mask is going to finish a fight scene!

Hell no. That's way more complicated than anything I ever did. But there's a significant difference in my version: I used Photoshop, not Illustrator. As I've said before, all my drawings are done in Illustrator, but my comic composition and certain effects are done in Photoshop, since I'm much more comfortable in that program than I am with the former.

So you do all the panel work in Photoshop? It seems very intuitive, since Illustrator slows down to a crawl when you begin to pile up clipping masks and raster effects.

I might steal that from you, if you don't mind. :smallwink:

Dvandemon
2011-02-18, 02:55 PM
Hell no. That's way more complicated than anything I ever did. But there's a significant difference in my version: I used Photoshop, not Illustrator. As I've said before, all my drawings are done in Illustrator, but my comic composition and certain effects are done in Photoshop, since I'm much more comfortable in that program than I am with the former. The method you suggested might work in other programs, but for what it's worth here's how to do it in Photoshop:

Draw object in Illustrator; Open in Photoshop and paste it as its own layer
Open the Blending Options by double clicking the layer; Turn the fill opacity to 0
Add an external drop shadow; Set distance to 0
Play with the remaining settings until desired effect is achieved

Quick! Does anyone know a way to do that in GIMP?

leakingpen
2011-02-21, 10:22 AM
gimp doesnt do the proper opacitys in layers to handle that. I wish it did.

Prime32
2011-02-21, 10:28 AM
Quick! Does anyone know a way to do that in GIMP?I would say put the same image on two layers, blur the lower one, select the contents of the higher one, then switch back to the lower one and press Delete. Then remove the higher layer.

leper0messiah
2011-03-01, 11:43 PM
just out of curiosity, even though Zarah is handing Anti-Heroes over to a new artist, are you still doing the writing? Just curious

MoonCat
2011-03-03, 10:57 PM
just out of curiosity, even though Zarah is handing Anti-Heroes over to a new artist, are you still doing the writing? Just curious

The strips post said that he'd give that information to the new person. I had just started reading when it hit a standstill :smallfrown:

Mad Mask
2011-03-05, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, due to health concerns I'm afraid I must opt out of this, if temporarily. I may come back if no-one has been chosen by the time I get better.

Dyluth
2011-03-07, 10:44 PM
Zarah, I have been a fan of anti-HEROES for some time now, and have dabbled with the Oots style of drawing as well with Adobe Illustrator. Though I believe I could do the illustrations in this fantastic comic justice, I just don't think I could ever come close to matching your wit and comedic timing when it comes to the writing.

I know this may complicate the process, but would breaking the job up between two people be an option? One who writes and scripts the comics while one illustrates? I only ask because finding someone such as you or Rich who can illustrate and tell an awesome story laced with this caliber of humor is a rare find indeed!

Funky Goose
2011-03-08, 03:00 AM
Hiyas,
I would really be interested in helping continue this awesome webcomic, and do have a fair amount of experiance in drawing in the oots style with inkscape, so I'm asking if I can take over the job! :)
I would be happy to share the job with Dyluth or others if they want to, it would probably help with extra hands/heads etc so we can get comics up reguarly and stuff, but I would still want to draw some bits!!!

PS. Just came out of a loong forum absence, and writng from my iPod at the mo, so I'll be back soon When I get to my real pc to get some art samples up :D

leakingpen
2011-03-08, 09:13 AM
I repeat my offer of scriptwriter. I have written comic scripts several times before, so i understand how to describe things for the artist, and my dialouge is pretty tight. If you want to test me, send me a snippet of plot, and ill write you a few comics worth of script to see what you think. I love the story, would hate to see it die.

Dyluth
2011-03-08, 07:49 PM
Alright then, it sounds like leakingpen and Funky Goose are interested in teaming up on this. I suppose the question is what will the next step will be?

Zara, where should we take it from here? What would any of the above mentioned people like to see from my end at this point?

Funky Goose
2011-03-09, 02:52 AM
hOw about a trial run?
Leaking can get a plot point from zarah and we illustrate it!
Simple enough, and it will be a good test of weather this sort of this can work.

Zarah
2011-03-09, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately, due to health concerns I'm afraid I must opt out of this, if temporarily. I may come back if no-one has been chosen by the time I get better.
That's unfortunate to hear, but I suppose there's not much that you can do.

Alright then, it sounds like leakingpen and Funky Goose are interested in teaming up on this. I suppose the question is what will the next step will be?

Zara, where should we take it from here? What would any of the above mentioned people like to see from my end at this point?
If you want to team up with other people, then that's your decision. I have no problem with it.

As for what comes next, well some art samples would be nice. I suppose I could do as Funky Goose mentioned and give a plot point for you to illustrate. Or you can just go ahead and draw something random.

leakingpen
2011-03-09, 09:10 AM
I think the idea behind the plot point was testing out script writing skills as well, to see if I, or anyone else interested in writing, passed your muster on that facet. This is your baby after all, would hate to step on your dreams.

Dyluth
2011-03-09, 10:11 AM
Alright, I think we might have a winning formula here Zarah, pending your approval of course:). Now the next few days are going to be busy for me, but I'm going to try to fit in drawing an illustration with all the major cast members in some setting. I'd also love to try out illustrating a script if one can be provided to me by a partner in this endeavour.

In the mean time, I've drawn up a basic and quite simple Lana illustration which will hopefully showcase that I can at the very least mimic your style of illustration and be true to your original characters.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/Sin_Nir_Endo/aH_Lana_BaseModelPose_3-11.png

Funky Goose
2011-03-09, 11:13 AM
Overall, dyluth, very nice there :), you missed out some details, (stitches down her side, low cut top, etc) but a very good representation of the art style :D

Here is my sample of some of the AH charicters
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/funky_goose/Anti-Htst.png
Feedback appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Why i suggested the plot point thing was actualy to see if leakingpen could do descriptions well enough to draw by, or just making dialouge etc.

Lyinginbedmon
2011-03-09, 11:30 AM
I'll restate my willingness to accept the torch flame, I believe my comic should be representative of my artistic capabilities.

blackjack217
2011-03-09, 12:09 PM
Hmm... there is but one way to decide this. You present your arguments, in comic form!

Dyluth
2011-03-09, 01:02 PM
Well Funky Goose, Lana's outfit is based on her depiction in strip #191, so I think it's accurate to the detail presented:).

In any event, I've taken the liberty of making up a new illustration of our good friend Keriss, Kaal and our favourite Elven fighter Andil. I therefore submit my humble work to Zarah to evaluate!

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/Sin_Nir_Endo/aH_Keriss_Kaal_Andil_BaseModelPose_3-11.png

HalfTangible
2011-03-09, 01:10 PM
I'll restate my willingness to accept the torch flame, I believe my comic should be representative of my artistic capabilities.

Didn't you also say that Remember took up a lot of your time and your update schedule would be similarly slow?

Ninjaman
2011-03-09, 01:13 PM
Overall, dyluth, very nice there :), you missed out some details, (stitches down her side, low cut top, etc) but a very good representation of the art style :D

Here is my sample of some of the AH charicters
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/funky_goose/Anti-Htst.png
Feedback appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Why i suggested the plot point thing was actualy to see if leakingpen could do descriptions well enough to draw by, or just making dialouge etc.

eyes are too small.

HalfTangible
2011-03-09, 01:15 PM
eyes are too small.

Also, the line thickness is a little inconsistent in some areas.

Zarah
2011-03-09, 01:16 PM
That's impressive, Dyluth. My only real complaint is that the "emotion" lines on Kaal are too thin. They should always be the same thickness as the major lines in thier outline (the only exception to this are the "surprised" looks).

As for you, Goose, those look good. However I might spread the facial features out a bit more, since they kind of look like children. :smalltongue:

Now, as a bit of a bigger test, I pose you to make a single comic with the following plot point: Depict a duel between Eldhin and Zurie over a disagreement of some sort. Make it funny without losing the tension of the fight.

Ninjaman
2011-03-09, 01:19 PM
That's impressive, Dyluth. My only real complaint is that the "emotion" lines on Kaal are too thin. They should always be the same thickness as the major lines in thier outline (the only exception to this are the "surprised" looks).

As for you, Goose, those look good. However I might spread the facial features out a bit more, since they kind of look like children. :smalltongue:

Now, as a bit of a bigger test, I pose you to make a single comic with the following plot point: Depict a duel between Eldhin and Zurie over a disagreement of some sort. Make it funny without losing the tension of the fight.

this will be exiting

HalfTangible
2011-03-09, 01:22 PM

How precisely does Zurie fight? Is she a spellcaster (if so, color?) or a swordsgirl or a rogue or a spellblade or a cleric or...

... You get the picture.

Dyluth
2011-03-09, 01:26 PM
A comic vs. comic fight eh? That is interesting. My only question is how much time do we have on this project? I'm juggling some work related and educational related projects at the moment and so I may not be able to have it finished this week necessarily.

Would this be a problem?

Zarah
2011-03-09, 02:18 PM
How precisely does Zurie fight? Is she a spellcaster (if so, color?) or a swordsgirl or a rogue or a spellblade or a cleric or...

... You get the picture.
Zurie is not a spellcaster and she fights with a rapier. This does not mean she is a Rogue, however. In fact, don't bother trying to identify her class, since it doesn't exist.

I'm not that concerned about her fighting style correct so much as getting her personality right.

A comic vs. comic fight eh? That is interesting. My only question is how much time do we have on this project? I'm juggling some work related and educational related projects at the moment and so I may not be able to have it finished this week necessarily.

Would this be a problem?
You can take your time, as long as that won't potentially become a problem in the long-run. You'll probably need a bit of time to correspond with anyone you're working with and to get it all together anyway.

Dyluth
2011-03-09, 02:49 PM
I understand, hopefully I can have something ready for next week if need be.

Though you bring up a good point with timing and what not, what in your opinion is the ideal turnaround time it should take for a single comic to be posted? That way I know what your looking for in terms of scheduling:)

leakingpen
2011-03-09, 05:03 PM
i'll go ahead and write up a script for that as well, if any of the artists WANT to use it, feel free. gimme an hour.

leakingpen
2011-03-09, 06:04 PM
ROW. Standard Height. 2 panel split.

Left Panel:
Scene, two level castle scene. Marble floor and wall. Catwalk with low railing mounted along wall. im thinking chains hung from upright rods. say waist level.
Characters: Zurie Eldhin
Zurie: on catwalk, center left of panel, standing behind railing, facing front, down. Has Rapier in left hand, pointing it down right, directly at Eldhin. expression of fury on her face, hair perhaps mussed, a strand hanging free
Eldhin: right of panel, looking up towards zurie. body facing left. look of startled shock on his face. In his hand should be an open book.

Text: Zurie, speech bubble directly above head, rimmed in black. "ELDHIN!" (letters rimmed in red would be a nice touch, if doable)
Eldhin, speech bubble normal, above and left of book, "Zurie?"
Zurie, fresh bubble trail, below the book. "No more talk. No more banter. NO MORE! This time..."

Right Panel: Scene, same, zoomed in on Zurie.
Characters: Zurie
Zurie: Shes leaping over the railing, rapier pointed outwards, left foot in air, right foot on the railing.

Text: Zurie, bubble underneath her, to the left of center. Black shaded border. "WE DANCE!"

ROW Standard Height. 3 panel split.

Left Panel, scene: previous castle scene. floor and wall. Add some wall details, tapestry or sconces. no catwalk.
Zurie, feet on floor, dead center, knees bent. Both hands on hilt of rapier. Rapier plunged INTO marble floor, say half its length. circles coming out of impact zone around Zurie. Cracks in marble running from rapier blade.
Eldhin, stretched out to the left, tumbling away from Zurie. Lines from his feet showing motion away. Book should be in the air, top right of panel, fluttering away.

Center Panel: scene same, hole in center of floor with same crack lines.
Characters: Same
Eldhin, left side of panel, facing right. Sword out, up at 45 degree angle, at the ready. Triumphant grin on his face.
Zurie, right hand side, facing center, rapier is pointing down at 45 degrees along center of blade. motion lines show the sword coming towards her, her moving back. both hands still on blade.

Text Eldhin. Speech bubble, above center. "Finally! Shall I lead or are you wearing the pants today?"

Right Panel. scene: same, shifted to right.

Eldhin: left side of panel facing right, sword raised at 15 degree angle. curved motion lines show slice downwards towards Zurie Forward knee bent slight, both hands on hilt. hole with cracks is directly underneath him

Zurie: right side, facing left. Hands clenched around rapier hilt in front of her at a level equal to her forhead. the rapier is bent down and to the left of the panel, right of zurie. look of shock on her face.

ROW standard height 3 panel split

Left panel, scene, same as last panel.
Characters: zurie: eldhin

Eldhin: center panel, leftish of center perhaps. full frontal view. arms spread out, sword pointed up and to the right, say 70 degrees up. Grin on his face.

Zurie: Right side of panel, facing left. In a fencers lunge,

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/6/5/f/6/12362683511931268713johnny_automatic_lunge.svg.med .png as a reference.

Rapier held in left hand. Hilt is even with eldhin's left elbow (the one on our right as we look). The blade is passing by Eldhin, sticking out with the point even with his right hand.

Text

Eldhin Speech bubble, Abov and to left of his head. "OLE!"

Zurie, Speech bubble, under rapier point, left of panel. "Stand still and die like a man. I may not wear pants, but at least I have balls!"

Eldhin, speech bubble, tied across to right hand side, under head, below left hand speech buble, "Must be Rallut's. Keep them in a jar on your cupboard, do you?

Center panel. scene same
Characters Zurie Eldhin.

Eldhin, left panel, facing right. sword is mostly hidden behind him, in his left hand, away from view. his right hand is in a fist, action lines showing a punching motion, hist is held out.

Zurie: right panel, facing left. Rapier dangles from left hand, right hand thrown backish. balanced on rear foot, front foot up in air at awkward angle. punch spike starburst bewteen her face and eldhin's hand.

Scenery: open book sticking barely onpanel from right hand side, open on ground, just behind Zurie

Speech:
Zurie, speech bubble left hand side "Like your mother kept your father's? No, I ARGH!"

Eldhin, speech below and to right , at his feet. "You are NOT allowed to talk about my mother!"

Right Panel, same scene
Characters, Same

Eldhin, left hand side, facing right, sword in an overhead swing halfway through arc, both hands on hilt.

Zurie: right hand side, facing left. rapier held in an overhead block. mark on her face from the punch.

Text: Zurie, speech bubble, between characters. "Ha! Struck a nerve, did i? Or whatever you have that passes for nerves"

Row. standard height, 2 panels

Left Panel, same view as last panel.
Characters Same

Eldhin, left side of panel, facing right. has completed the swing, and is corps a corps with zurie, which is to say, hes pushing his blade down on her, pushing himself in close

Zurie right side, facing left, is bent slightly backwards, rapier held vertically over her head, pushing back against Eldhin's blade. holding it only with her left hand (nearest the viewer), right hand is free and out in the open.

Text

Zurie Speech bubble, top of panel. "HA! HAHA! I hate to admit it Eldhin, but I must. You are better than me."

Eldhin, speech bubble, just below zurie "Really? Then why are you laughing?"

Zurie, speech bubble, at their feet. "Because, I know something you don't know. I..."

Right Panel.

Same exact panel, except that Eldhin is now holding his sword with only his right hand. His left hand has grasped Zuries right arm halfway between hand and elbow. The arm is bent backwards just above where his hand is , at a 90 degree angle to the rest of thearm.

Text Sound effect bubble, top of panel. Nice spiky starburst edging to it. "KEERAAACK!"

Eldhin, speech bubble, bottom of panel, at characters feet. "have a broken right wrist, and thus can't do anything stupid and cliche, like say switching hands on me?"

okay, thats a full page script.

Jinglebelle
2011-03-12, 08:01 PM
I'm so happy anti-HEROES is coming back! I love both Dyluth's and Funky Goose's art, and I really liked Leaking Pen's script. I can't wait to see what you guys do.

leakingpen
2011-03-13, 03:41 AM
Jingle, thanks for the kind words on the script. The wonderful creator hasn't approved anything yet, this is still testing phase to see what can be done, so it may be one or the other, or someone else entirely, drawing, and I may not have what he's looking for story wise. Time will tell, but that efforts are being made to keep the comic coming makes me happy as well.

Dyluth
2011-03-15, 03:11 PM
Alright then, sorry for the delay but I had some time this afternoon to finally take a look at leakingpen's script. I liked it a lot, though I made some changes to the placement of the word bubbles just so that their positions were easier to work with.

As you can tell this is NOT a finished version of that script, I will have to finish it later this week, but I just wanted to show you what I started with and see what the verdict was on what I've put together thus far and if it needs a change in direction altogether or only a few tweeks.

Enjoy and please be kind:)

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/Sin_Nir_Endo/anti-HEROES%20Comics/aH_test_issie_001_3-15-11.png

leakingpen
2011-03-15, 04:11 PM
Holy crap. Let me just say that seeing someone create the image that was in my head, in graphical format, is very very surreal! (by which i mean, especially the second panel, that is literally my mental vision pixel for pixel, of the scene)

My only comment is that the existing comment tends to make the ivory armor of the guard VERY bright shiny looking in comparison. beyond that, it looks good to me.

Funky Goose
2011-03-15, 05:04 PM
Very nice!
I love zurie's expression inthat 2nd panel :smallbiggrin: but the hair kinda looks like she's just been zapped by a van-de-graphe electricy thing :smalltongue:

anyways, for comparision stuffs i guess, here's my 1st 2 panels as well, ive still got to add in the motion lines and fiddle with the red liney text stuff, but it's mostly finished now

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/funky_goose/rect3381.png

ps. any comments greatly yay'ed

Big P(p)S. our house is changing internet from our 54kb/s cable to a snazzy new 10mb/s fibre this weekend :smallsmile: but unfortunately, it means no web connection from thursday pm untill it's done and no eta yet...
anyways... ill try to get at least what i have finished up before that happens, and i can put the rest up after

Ninjaman
2011-03-16, 01:11 AM
They are both good, but funky you could work a little on their eyes, the look like children.

aragorn1398
2011-03-16, 01:39 AM
I'm really liking Dyluth's art as well as Leakingpen's writing. Funky Goose's art not so much, but it is passable. Dyluth + Leakingpen would be an amazing combination and I might even forget (after a few months of posts) that Zarah isn't even doing it himself.

I hope that Zarah stays active creatively, but with the Dypen (Dyluth + Leakingpen) combo, I could see this comic getting back on a schedule to a successful completion.

I approve of Funky Goose's art, but it just doesn't fit with Anti-Heroes.

Keep up the good work Dypen!

Funky Goose
2011-03-16, 05:49 AM
Hiyas :smallsmile:

It seems that most of the comments about my work are about the eyes and face of the characters, so i've gone over my stuff and had another couple of goes at it, to try and make one that would fit in the AH theme

TEST SAMPLES-
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/funky_goose/text5167.png

EIDT - 3 is the one used in the comic so far... now i look at it next to the others, i think i now get your point ninjaman :smallredface:

Anyways, imma gonna go ahead and finish the comic with face #1 probably, but if anyone can think of further improvements, yaaaay for that, and please post them.

Funky. :smallwink:

billtodamax
2011-03-16, 05:54 AM
2's eyes are spaced soooo far apart. I like 3's eyes best, although 2 has the best mouth. Oh, but a male's mouth should be further up.

Ninjaman
2011-03-16, 09:47 AM
They all look wierd. Try copypasting a page from anti-heroes into inkscape(or whatever you are using) and create a face to look like that.

Dyluth
2011-03-16, 10:58 AM
Thank you for the kind words leakingpen, hopefully something will come of the efforts being put forward on this thread.

As for my style, I fully acknowledge that I'm not quite on par with Mr. Quigley. This I believe will only come in time and with practice, but until then I hope the attached full comic gives a rough idea of what I'm capable of.

Leakinpen as before I moved the positioning of the word bubbles on a few occasions, and decided to zoom in on the last two panels so that I could have the reader be closer to the dramatic action up close and personal. This was a great script though, and I do hope you feel I did it justice:smallbiggrin:. The same goes for Mr. Quigley and how I hope you approve of the artwork based on leakinpen's script.

Please feel free to let me know what you think either way and I hope we can all work together down the road!

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/Sin_Nir_Endo/anti-HEROES%20Comics/aH_test_issie_001_3-15-11-1.png

Ninjaman
2011-03-16, 12:13 PM
looks cool dyluth, but Eldhin gets knockbacked wierd.
And the arms seem to change lenght several times.

leakingpen
2011-03-16, 12:21 PM
Guys, I like em both! Funky if you add in lines, it might help, but the second panel the motion isn't obvious that she's lept over the railing. But lines should fix that. I like the pacing indicated by the spaced out speech bubbles, but it doesn't seem like something that the original did a lot.

Dyluth, much better on the ivory. I love the added touches, the black eye, the bent rapier and bawoung. Thanks for the comments on the script! I've actually been looking into doing some partnered webcomics in the future. Is there anything I over or underdid in writing the script, from the perspective of the artist?

I just realized that in my script, I cut across the line (that is, i did a pan around 180 degrees between shots, so the characters switch sides. we are now watching by standing UNDER the catwalk she was on. ) Is this disorienting to anyone? I may have made a mistake there.

Aragorn, DyPen? Really? I am giggling to myself here. Thank you for the kind words!

Dyluth
2011-03-16, 01:16 PM
Ninjaman I will concede that Eldy's arms do grow and contract throughout the comic, the truth is there are points where I just can't get around it so I feel there's no other option from time to time, though if there's a reasonable solution out there I'd love to hear it:smallbiggrin:.

Leakingpen I'm glad your happy with the final result. I did realize that Zurie at one point seemed to switch sides when she lept down to Eldhin, though I had assumed she had done a "corkscrew spin" of some kind in mid air to help drive her rapier into the ground harder and faster:).

As for advice for the script writing, I really have nothing to offer since I'm not quite a professional here myself. I found your writing easy enough to follow.

Funky Goose
2011-03-16, 02:20 PM
Hey leaky!

I actually got it kinda messed up in mine so far and have ended up with eldhan in the right (it did, however make the fight easyer to draw as the swords were both on the hand facing each other), it may help in the future if you maybe include some sirt if referece as to how we are looking at the scene, but the end result is fantastic, really captured the personalities perfectly! good job :smallwink:

As for the final thing, im hoping to get it up tomorrow, as that's the last day i have internet for i dont know... Survival chances are minimal at this stage... :smalleek:

PS. leaky, the motion lines ARE in now :D

PpS. Dyluth, i just noticed, in your ast panel, eldhan is breaking zuiries LEFT wrist in your drawing

PppS. the new eyes are #1 moved slightly up the face, and #2 mouth, again, moved up (but less so)

Prime32
2011-03-16, 02:22 PM

Left Panel:
Scene, two level castle scene. Marble floor and wall. Catwalk with low railing mounted along wall. im thinking chains hung from upright rods. say waist level.
Zurie: on catwalk, center left of panel, standing behind railing, facing front, down. Has Rapier in left hand, pointing it down right, directly at Eldhin. expression of fury on her face, hair perhaps mussed, a strand hanging free
Eldhin: right of panel, looking up towards zurie. body facing left. look of startled shock on his face. In his hand should be an open book.

Text: Zurie, speech bubble directly above head, rimmed in black. "ELDHIN!" (letters rimmed in red would be a nice touch, if doable)
Zurie, fresh bubble trail, below the book. "No more talk. No more banter. NO MORE! This time..."

Zurie: Shes leaping over the railing, rapier pointed outwards, left foot in air, right foot on the railing.

Text: Zurie, bubble underneath her, to the left of center. Black shaded border. "WE DANCE!"

Left Panel, scene: previous castle scene. floor and wall. Add some wall details, tapestry or sconces. no catwalk.
Zurie, feet on floor, dead center, knees bent. Both hands on hilt of rapier. Rapier plunged INTO marble floor, say half its length. circles coming out of impact zone around Zurie. Cracks in marble running from rapier blade.
Eldhin, stretched out to the left, tumbling away from Zurie. Lines from his feet showing motion away. Book should be in the air, top right of panel, fluttering away.

Eldhin, left side of panel, facing right. Sword out, up at 45 degree angle, at the ready. Triumphant grin on his face.
Zurie, right hand side, facing center, rapier is pointing down at 45 degrees along center of blade. motion lines show the sword coming towards her, her moving back. both hands still on blade.

Text Eldhin. Speech bubble, above center. "Finally! Shall I lead or are you wearing the pants today?"

Eldhin: left side of panel facing right, sword raised at 15 degree angle. curved motion lines show slice downwards towards Zurie Forward knee bent slight, both hands on hilt. hole with cracks is directly underneath him

Zurie: right side, facing left. Hands clenched around rapier hilt in front of her at a level equal to her forhead. the rapier is bent down and to the left of the panel, right of zurie. look of shock on her face.

Eldhin: center panel, leftish of center perhaps. full frontal view. arms spread out, sword pointed up and to the right, say 70 degrees up. Grin on his face.

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/6/5/f/6/12362683511931268713johnny_automatic_lunge.svg.med .png as a reference.

Rapier held in left hand. Hilt is even with eldhin's left elbow (the one on our right as we look). The blade is passing by Eldhin, sticking out with the point even with his right hand.

Text

Zurie, Speech bubble, under rapier point, left of panel. "Stand still and die like a man. I may not wear pants, but at least I have balls!"

Eldhin, speech bubble, tied across to right hand side, under head, below left hand speech buble, "Must be Rallut's. Keep them in a jar on your cupboard, do you?

Center panel. scene same
Characters Zurie Eldhin.

Eldhin, left panel, facing right. sword is mostly hidden behind him, in his left hand, away from view. his right hand is in a fist, action lines showing a punching motion, hist is held out.

Zurie: right panel, facing left. Rapier dangles from left hand, right hand thrown backish. balanced on rear foot, front foot up in air at awkward angle. punch spike starburst bewteen her face and eldhin's hand.

Scenery: open book sticking barely onpanel from right hand side, open on ground, just behind Zurie

Speech:
Zurie, speech bubble left hand side "Like your mother kept your father's? No, I ARGH!"

Eldhin, speech below and to right , at his feet. "You are NOT allowed to talk about my mother!"

Right Panel, same scene
Characters, Same

Eldhin, left hand side, facing right, sword in an overhead swing halfway through arc, both hands on hilt.

Zurie: right hand side, facing left. rapier held in an overhead block. mark on her face from the punch.

Text: Zurie, speech bubble, between characters. "Ha! Struck a nerve, did i? Or whatever you have that passes for nerves"

Characters Same

Eldhin, left side of panel, facing right. has completed the swing, and is corps a corps with zurie, which is to say, hes pushing his blade down on her, pushing himself in close

Zurie right side, facing left, is bent slightly backwards, rapier held vertically over her head, pushing back against Eldhin's blade. holding it only with her left hand (nearest the viewer), right hand is free and out in the open.

Text

Zurie Speech bubble, top of panel. "HA! HAHA! I hate to admit it Eldhin, but I must. You are better than me."

Zurie, speech bubble, at their feet. "Because, I know something you don't know. I..."

Right Panel.

Same exact panel, except that Eldhin is now holding his sword with only his right hand. His left hand has grasped Zuries right arm halfway between hand and elbow. The arm is bent backwards just above where his hand is , at a 90 degree angle to the rest of thearm.

Text Sound effect bubble, top of panel. Nice spiky starburst edging to it. "KEERAAACK!"

Eldhin, speech bubble, bottom of panel, at characters feet. "have a broken right wrist, and thus can't do anything stupid and cliche, like say switching hands on me?"

okay, thats a full page script.

"No more talk. No more banter. NO MORE! This time... WE DANCE!"
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/OotS/zurie_gown.png

Ninjaman
2011-03-16, 02:24 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/OotS/zurie_gown.png

he looks like a man dressed up as a woman.

Prime32
2011-03-16, 02:40 PM
he looks like a man dressed up as a woman.http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/OotS/zurie_retort.png

Ninjaman
2011-03-16, 03:26 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/OotS/zurie_retort.png

When you put it that way Zurie does look a little like a man.

leakingpen
2011-03-16, 04:18 PM
crap, he's right, the sword is in the right hand the entire time.

A lettering change would probably be easier than a drawing change. the joke still works. Maybe "have a broken left wrist, and thus can't say anything as stupid or cliche as, I'm not really right handed!"
(hmm, the joke works better with the quote within the quote, as well. )

prime, you make me laugh man!

HalfTangible
2011-03-16, 04:38 PM
When you put it that way Zurie does look a little like a man.

Just because Eldhin can hit her smack her around doesn't mean you can :smalltongue:

Funky Goose
2011-03-16, 05:04 PM
YAYNESS! :smallbiggrin:

The comic is all done!

BEHOLD!!!

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/funky_goose/Comicwar.png

Spoilered to protect unprepared eyes from the sheer awesomenessness.

As always, constructive comments greatly appreciated and stuffs, however, i wont be able to reply to any after tomorrow.
PS, that 2nd from last panel is just poor text positioning on my part, the bubble seems to cover up the action lines there... :smallfrown:

blackjack217
2011-03-16, 05:50 PM
The hair is a bit untidy, which honestly seems out of character.

Funky Goose
2011-03-16, 06:04 PM
The hair is a bit untidy, which honestly seems out of character.

urrrm... her hair is supposed to be all muzzed up, its in leaky's script :smalltongue:

CrimsonAngel
2011-03-16, 06:05 PM
Sometimes the arms look unnaturally long.

Prime32
2011-03-16, 06:07 PM
While we're talking about hair, shouldn't her pigtails be blown upwards as she falls?

EDIT: Stupid subject-changing ninja. :smallmad:

leakingpen
2011-03-16, 06:15 PM
awesome drawing and action, the both of you!

CrimsonAngel
2011-03-16, 06:28 PM
While we're talking about hair, shouldn't her pigtails be blown upwards as she falls?

EDIT: Stupid subject-changing ninja. :smallmad:

Excuse me, but i'm not a ninja. I'm an assassin.

Lemonus
2011-03-16, 08:35 PM
I just read through all the archives, and now I'm sad. :frown:

However I'm glad that someone is taking over the strip! :smile:

Constructive Comments!
Funky Goose: I think that they still look like kids, I dunno why.
Dyluth: Great job replicating the art style! However, Zurie's hair looks like she got electrocuted.

CrimsonAngel
2011-03-16, 09:14 PM
Can I try my hand at making the comic? :smallredface: I don't want to be the artist because it'll die for sure then, but I have a habit of redoing other people's work.

Nevermind. Too lazy to even make templates.

Zarah
2011-03-16, 10:04 PM
Wall of text incoming. First things first:

As was already mentioned, you have a comic under your belt that is currently still running. I don't really want you to have to split your priorities between multiple projects, so I hope you don't mind if I give priority to those who don't have that kind of commitment.

Now, onto the submissions. First, specific criticisms (these might seem harsh, but keep in mind I'm focusing on the things that can be improved):

The Script

Left Panel:

Text

Center panel. scene same
Characters Zurie Eldhin.

Speech:

Right Panel, same scene
Characters, Same

Characters Same

Text

Right Panel.

The first thing I would complain about is that Eldhin isn't acting very in-character. He seems to be enjoying the fight a little too much. Even if he was, he wouldn't let Zurie see it. However, since you're writing for characters that you don't really know that well, I can excuse that kind of stuff.

Some of the word choices are strange as well. That first bit I would consider rewriting, since Zurie claims "no more banter" only to go ahead and banter with Eldhin for the rest of the comic. While this is mostly nitpicking, it's good to keep things like that in mind. The more natural the dialogue sounds, the better.

As for the length: Wow. Compared to the scripts I wrote, you went insanely overboard. :smalltongue:

Not to say that's a bad thing, but if I were the artist, I'd definitely suggest toning back on the details. It's good to give your artist a reference, but don't get carried away with designing the panel layouts yourself. Let your artist take care of things like what side of the panel characters are standing on, what hand they're holding their weapons in, etc. That way, they have more room to fiddle with things if they find out something doesn't work the way you wrote it. And believe me, it happens.

Not to speak for the artists in question, but I think you can definitely lose a lot of the trivial details from your script. Focus on making the dialogue flow and making it funny. Give scene descriptions when necessary, but don't overshoot what the artist needs.

Dyluth's Comic

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu108/Sin_Nir_Endo/anti-HEROES%20Comics/aH_test_issie_001_3-15-11-1.png
Pretty good, though some of your poses are awkward. For example, Zurie's jumping pose looks... strange. It looks like she's balancing on top of the railing there instead of actually jumping over it. Also, in the previous panel, she looks too stiff to be yelling like that (also, her hand seems to be floating somewhere behind her rapier in that panel, which is something I would fix). And speaking of hands floating behind things, I'd really like to know how Eldhin is holding on to that book. His hand should be visible on the other side of the cover, no matter how he is holding it. If with one hand, then presumably he'd be holding it at the bottom of the spine. If with two hands, one on each side. Zurie should probably also have more of an impact when she is landing on the ground as well rather than standing straight-up. Also, as was already mentioned, some of the lines change sizes throughout the comic. Zurie's sword when bending gets a bit too long (not saying it has to be the same size, but it looks almost a good half-length longer), her leg when thrusting looks weird and Eldhin's Mr. Fantastic's arm in that last panel is freakish. Zurie's expression in the last panel really needs an overhaul, though. That is the face you make when someone kicks sand at you, not when something inside your arm is cracking.

Now, onto the matter of Zurie and that pesky, pesky camera angle. Never switch camera angles like that. There are very few times when you can get away with it without being disorientating. Especially never do it with Zurie. See the emblem on her dress? It's asymmetrical. Unlike almost every other character in the comic, you can't just mirror her to face the other direction because her emblem switches around. It shouldn't do that. It should point in the same direction regardless of which way she is facing, which kind of makes drawing her a pain in the ass. Totally my fault, since I didn't realize it at the time of drawing her and by the time I noticed it was a problem, it was too late to change it. So for her, and every other member of her division, you need two templates; one for facing both left and right.

Finally, to nitpick, some of the cracks in the floor disappear in the 6th panel, as does the arrow on the one speech bubble in the second last panel. Your speech bubbles could be shrunk a little as well.

Funky Goose's Comic

I like your poses, but there's still something weird about the faces. The mouths are definitely too small and I think the eyes might be too big. I can't quite figure it out yet, though. Your "emotion lines" seem a little small too. The rule I usually live by is that they should come just a little outside the outline of the head and hair. As for the mouths, look at Eldhin's mouth in the third panel. That's just slightly too big for the "normal talking" mouth, but is otherwise perfect. All the rest should probably be upsized. As a plus, Zurie's expression in the last panel is appropriate, if still a little underwhelmed (angry V + closed eyes is usually pain). Again, some of your lines are a little too long, notably in the last two panels, but it's not too noticeable.

One thing I've noticed in your comic is that you aren't using the characters' wrists. For example: How is Eldhin holding on to his sword in the 7th panel? That is some wizardry right there. Remember that even though these are stick people, they can still bend at the wrist. Swordfights are particularly tricky for this, since holding a sword properly pretty much requires you to bend your wrist, but it's pretty much just drawing a hand bent at 90 degrees at the very end of an arm. It takes some practice to get right, but things look much better once you get it.

As for nitpicking, I think it could use a bit of tidying up altogether. Some of the hands are way too small, as is Eldhin's fist. You seem to be making a lot of things too small. Remember that this is a medium and art style where exaggeration is pretty much necessary. Also Eldhin's arm is reaching over his sword in the last panel, but still looks like it's in front of his other hand, which is giving me a headache trying to figure out the dimensions of that.

Well. I have more general tips to share, but I'll save those for once I actually pick the person in charge. Which leads me to my next point.

I was going to write up another challenge for you guys to take on, but...

As for the final thing, im hoping to get it up tomorrow, as that's the last day i have internet for i dont know... Survival chances are minimal at this stage... :smalleek:
Sounds like it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. I don't really want to put the comic on an indefinite hold any longer than it already has been.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is causing you to lose access?

CrimsonAngel
2011-03-16, 10:22 PM
To fix the long arms problem, make them hold the swords lower.

leakingpen
2011-03-17, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! As for the no more banter, the idea was that Eldhin is still controlling the conversation, drawing her along. Since as long as you keep the opponent talking, the battle stays mostly harmless. Its the silent fights that kill. (well, in genre anyway). As for enjoying it, yes, I thought Eldhin would, that he's avoiding fighting her because of the problems that itwould cause, but if given no choice, would have fun with it. As you said, it's not knowing the characters well enough.

As far as the camera angle and railing shot on Dyluths, those are both mea maxima culpa. Both of those things are mentioned in the script. On the railing shot, I wanted it to look like she was tagging the railing with her foot on the way over for some extra force. (kinda wuxia, i know) and as far as the angles, i screwed up.

Lyinginbedmon
2011-03-17, 06:37 AM
As was already mentioned, you have a comic under your belt that is currently still running. I don't really want you to have to split your priorities between multiple projects, so I hope you don't mind if I give priority to those who don't have that kind of commitment.

Fair enough, I'll certainly be happy to offer suggestions and advice to whomever gets the position if they need it though, after all I'm an aH fan too :smallsmile:

Dyluth
2011-03-17, 08:41 AM
I thank you for your critiques Zarah, and all I will say is that I sincerely hope I have the chance to improve my style with you moving forward with this project if indeed you choose to do so.

I eagerly await your decision!

CrimsonAngel
2011-03-17, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! As for the no more banter, the idea was that Eldhin is still controlling the conversation, drawing her along. Since as long as you keep the opponent talking, the battle stays mostly harmless. Its the silent fights that kill. (well, in genre anyway). As for enjoying it, yes, I thought Eldhin would, that he's avoiding fighting her because of the problems that itwould cause, but if given no choice, would have fun with it. As you said, it's not knowing the characters well enough.

As far as the camera angle and railing shot on Dyluths, those are both mea maxima culpa. Both of those things are mentioned in the script. On the railing shot, I wanted it to look like she was tagging the railing with her foot on the way over for some extra force. (kinda wuxia, i know) and as far as the angles, i screwed up.

I think you might have gone a little overboard with the script... And what the hell is mea maxima culpa? :smallfrown:

Funky Goose
2011-03-17, 11:06 AM
@ Zarah

Thanks for all the great comments :D
I dont think i can do much about the wrists though without making the arms overly long at some points... :smallfrown:

also, my internet going down is beacause we are changing providers, and our new provider messed up the MAC code... :smallmad:... actually -:smallfurious:!!

Comet
2011-03-17, 11:55 AM
And what the hell is mea maxima culpa? :smallfrown:

It's Latin and translates roughly into "Like, totally, my bad bro".

This thread has inspired me to pick up this webcomic again and start reading where I last left it off. I didn't go far back then, but I liked what I saw. I figure this is as good a point in time to hop on the wagon as any.

aragorn1398
2011-03-18, 02:45 AM
YAYNESS! :smallbiggrin:

The comic is all done!

BEHOLD!!!

Spoilered to protect unprepared eyes from the sheer awesomenessness.

As always, constructive comments greatly appreciated and stuffs, however, i wont be able to reply to any after tomorrow.
PS, that 2nd from last panel is just poor text positioning on my part, the bubble seems to cover up the action lines there... :smallfrown:

Yeah...your work is great as fan art, but not really a good enough replacement for Mr. Quigley's work in my opinion Funky Goose.

I'm still supporting ZyPen even though Jordan's critiques were...quite critical. I have been a fan of this comic for about 3 years now and I could hardly notice any problems with either Zyluth's or leakingpen's work. So, I still support them.

EDIT: And yes leakingpen I did realize that it sounded kinda dumb, but its faster to write Dypen than Dyluth and leakingpen. :smalltongue:

leakingpen
2011-03-18, 04:37 AM
Crimson, maybe a little. And it means, My fault to the maximum. mea culpa means my fault, the maxima makes it a big one. It was used as a chant by self flogging monks in the middle ages. They'd walk down the road. Mea culpa. WHACK. Mea maxima culpa WHACKAWHAC mea culpa. WHACK and so on.

aragorn, not dumb, i was amused.

Ninjaman
2011-03-18, 12:21 PM
Yeah...your work is great as fan art, but not really a good enough replacement for Mr. Quigley's work in my opinion Funky Goose.

I'm still supporting ZyPen even though Jordan's critiques were...quite critical. I have been a fan of this comic for about 3 years now and I could hardly notice any problems with either Zyluth's or leakingpen's work. So, I still support them.

And yes leakingpen I did realize that it sounded kinda dumb, but its faster to write Zypen than Zyluth and leakingpen. :smalltongue:

His name is Dyluth. Which would result in Dypen not Zypen.

Dyluth
2011-03-18, 03:44 PM
Dypen eh? That has an interesting ring to it:) In any event I fully accept and respect the critiques Zarah made, and I do thank everyone for the kind words of support for the efforts of myself, Funky Goose and leakingpen in this process.

I'm just glad that I've been able to participate in this hunt for a new torchbearer for a comic that I've really fallen in love with and want to see continue for years to come.

Zarah
2011-03-19, 12:13 PM
Well, after some deliberation I've come to the decision that the comic will be handed down to leakingpen and Dyluth. Or team Dypen, if you'd prefer that. :smalltongue:

Of course, this doesn't mean that Funky Goose is out completely. Dyluth, if you ever want a break, you could always bring in a guest artist for a short time. But that's your decision.

Now, there's some administrative work to be done for the coming transition, and as such, I'd like to arrange a meeting between the three of us and my webmaster, Crazed. There's some things that need to be worked out and clarified before we can give you the go ahead.

I'd prefer if we could meet up over MSN Messenger (or Windows Live Messenger, whatever) since that's what me and Crazed use, but if it isn't possible then we'll have to work something else out. Let me know when you're available and how we can meet up, either here or through a private message if you would rather not give out your contact information.

Oh, and congratulations. :smallbiggrin:

Crahen
2011-03-19, 12:19 PM
Congrats, guys! Your work looks great and I'm really looking forward to working with you. :smallbiggrin:

super dark33
2011-03-19, 12:31 PM
Great! wohoo1 long live team Dypen!

Szilard
2011-03-19, 01:50 PM
As someone who's been reading this since the first page came out, I'm really glad it's continuing. I hope the comic continues being awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Dypen, if you're about half as awesome as Zarah, we should have at least a decent webcomic. :smalltongue:

Dyluth
2011-03-19, 03:00 PM
Thank you Zarah for this, all I can say is that I hope leakingpen and I are able to do you proud:). Thank you very much to Funky Goose for his interest as well, I compltely agree that if and when we need a guest artist he should be at the top of the list of people to go to, if he's available and interested of course:).

I will send you a PM with my availability and what not to go over these administrative details. Leakingpen, Crahen and Zarah, I look forward to working with you all!!

Dvandemon
2011-03-19, 03:04 PM
he looks like a man dressed up as a woman.

A man with pretty distracting cleavage :smalltongue:

aragorn1398
2011-03-20, 02:32 AM
Woot! The name Dypen is starting to stick! Long live Anti-Heroes!:smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2011-03-20, 11:04 AM
I'd be happy to work as a substitute for when your arms eventually pop off.

Neoriceisgood
2011-03-20, 12:44 PM
Congrats guys, will be curious to see this continue.

leakingpen
2011-03-21, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a plan. I'll have to install msn at home and create an account, no sweat. Evenings are best for me, I'm not home till about 5 az time. (this post is being made at 830 my time, to allow people to adjust. You all just went on daylight savings, so i can never remember the gap for a few weeks after the change over. )

Dyluth
2011-03-21, 05:32 PM
Leakingpen I look forward to working with you and to moving forward now!

Herpestidae
2011-03-21, 06:36 PM
Team Dypen FTMFW

Dyluth
2011-03-23, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the offer CrimsonAngel, it's good to know that if for what ever reason I'm unable to fill my anti-HEROES quota that I have more than one qualified substitute I could turn to:)

Zolkabro
2011-03-25, 01:32 AM
Awww, I just saw this thread. I love Anti-Heroes, I had no idea this was happening. :(

But good luck, Dypen!

Mystic Muse
2011-03-25, 01:39 AM
Good luck guys! Looking forward to the next comic!

Dyluth
2011-03-25, 01:46 PM
Thank you thank you! I can't wait to get started on this myself.

Pokonic
2011-03-26, 11:18 PM
Fantastic! Good luck, Dypen!

Bodez
2011-03-27, 11:07 AM
Let me just say, after over two months of checking anti-Heroes everyday in hope of someone taking over, I stumble upon this thread. And it makes me all giddy on the inside :smallbiggrin:

Herpestidae
2011-03-28, 07:41 AM
Let me just say, after over two months of checking anti-Heroes everyday in hope of someone taking over, I stumble upon this thread. And it makes me all giddy on the inside :smallbiggrin:

RSS Feeds are your friend.

Dyluth
2011-03-29, 07:49 AM
I expect that we'll have something to show in th every near future friends!

Zolkabro
2011-03-29, 01:17 PM
PLEASE put up some new strips soon!
Also, are you sticking to Quigley's plot plan, or taking the story to your own places? Or a combination of the two?

Dyluth
2011-03-29, 01:53 PM
Well it's my understanding that the plot is going to be kept exactly the way Mr. Quigley intended. Believe me nobody wants to get new comics up and out the door more than myself and leakingpen I'm sure. We just have some administrative matters to tend to first regarding the website and the comic itself.

Henk
2011-04-02, 09:38 AM
I give the new team 6 months maximum.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they make it 3 months but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. This comic died 6 months ago and should have stayed dead ever since.

HalfTangible
2011-04-02, 10:32 AM

Honestly I'd be surprised if they make it 3 months but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. This comic died 6 months ago and should have stayed dead ever since.

Well that's harsh. :smallannoyed:

Neoriceisgood
2011-04-02, 03:29 PM

Harsh, why exactly should it have stayed dead according to you ... ?

blackjack217
2011-04-02, 10:24 PM

NO that is all

Mr_Saturn
2011-04-02, 10:31 PM
I'd take the harshness if it spurs on Team Dypen to go on with a greater fervor to make sure their efforts do possess longevity. Sometimes the best motivation is the desire to prove your critics wrong.

Dvandemon
2011-04-02, 11:27 PM
@^: Very true

Uh, based on what?

aragorn1398
2011-04-03, 03:35 AM

Lol, good job ruffling everyone's feathers :smalltongue:

Still, I hope team Dypen runs this comic until the entire story has been told.

Lemonus
2011-04-03, 07:05 AM

Wow, that's harsh. What exactly are you basing this on?

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-05, 10:28 PM
While I can't see any reason to speculate on how long the new team is going to last, I do kind of feel that this is the end of the comic "proper". Or my following of it, at least. I've read Anti-Heroes casually for more than a year now and while I found the writing and humour to be passable, what made me want to keep checking back was the fantastic artwork.

Jordan has an eye for facial expression, panel composition and all-round communication that, while not yet up to Rich Burlew's standard (though I would add that the aesthetics of AH as a whole have even occasionally surpassed those of OotS, in my eyes), is absolute light-years ahead of 99% of amateur artists around. This is evidenced by the long list of criticisms he made about the test comics - and most of those aren't mere nitpicks, he's absolutely right to point them out. They are basic essentials for a good comic strip; get them wrong and the comic is a non-starter regardless of how funny your script is or how flashy your visuals are.

I can understand the author's desire to step down and also his desire to see the project completed, but I would strongly advise him to stay on as creative consultant if he's really that bothered about continuing quality (and if he's not, then, well... might as well just end it, eh?). Dyluth and leakingpen have done a pretty good imitation there, don't get me wrong, but to me that's exactly what it feels like: an imitation. And without at least some continued input from Jordan, I can see myself dropping this one pretty quickly.

leakingpen
2011-04-06, 12:04 PM
My understanding is that he is going to provide quality control and continued input and final approval of scripts and art.

Cuthbertson
2011-04-29, 07:15 AM
My understanding is that he is going to provide quality control and continued input and final approval of scripts and art.

Does that explain why it has taken more than a month for the first comic to be posted? Is the artwork waiting rubber stamping by Jordan?

The natives are wondering what is taking so long and why nothing has been posted yet by the new team.

Updates, anyone? Please, please, please post to the AH comment thread to let the fans know what is happening.

Not to sound too harsh, but if you don't have time to communicate with the fans, you should not have accepted the torch.

Hope to hear from the new team soon over at AH.

Dvandemon
2011-05-04, 12:13 AM
This is mainly for the people at the anti-Heroes site
People, be cautious when voicing your concerns. It's annoying to read comments whining about and update especially since they'll likely stay there when it does update. It puts unneccesary pressure on the people providing you free entertainment making it less fun and more of a chore* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlegyapr6lq?from=Main.WhyFandomCantHaveNiceThin gs). Be patient and wait, it'll be there when you get back (it's pretty much outside you control now, they also have their own lives to deal with).