PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS] Quick rule discussion

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-24, 04:33 PM
Area of effect, combined with Affliction, Binding, or Innate attack. What defenses can be taken to avoid the hit? What about combining Area of Effect with Malediction?

If a player recives 'Decreased Time Rate' from an affliction, when is his next turn? The next turn (Then DTR takes place?) or the turn after that? What about culmitive DTR?

Ragitsu
2011-01-24, 04:37 PM
Area of effect, combined with Affliction, Binding, or Innate attack.

Is this similar, at all, to Innate Attack with the Explosive Enhancement? If so, a Dodge might work.

Tael
2011-01-24, 06:37 PM
@Defenses: Normally only a dodge with the 'Duck and Cover' option, but there are many supernatural defenses that could protect you from an explosion or AoE that count as a block or parry for activation.

@Time Rate: I've never had this before, but I would have it depend on the character's basic speed.

Anyr
2011-01-24, 06:44 PM
Area of effect, combined with Affliction, Binding, or Innate attack. What defenses can be taken to avoid the hit?

If the target is close enough to the effect's edge then a Retreating Dodge or Dodge and Drop are permitted. The optional rules for Power Defences in GURPS Supers also give ways to evade such attacks, provided the defender possesses an appropriate Advantage. In general, though, the best defences against an area attack are passive rather than active.

What about combining Area of Effect with Malediction?

Yes, that's legal. In such cases the targets are entitled to the Quick Contest given by Malediction as usual.

Undrhil
2011-01-24, 07:45 PM
OK, for the OPs post, I am fairly certain this is about my character.

I made a "time controller" super and I wanted to be able to slow baddies down, so I went with Affliction: Disadvantage (Decreased Time Rate), Area Effect (16 yd), Costs Fatigue, Selective Area.

I think where I went wrong is that I never associated it with an Innate Attack (I think I should use Projectile for this) and when I use the power, I have to determine if I hit the area I wanted to affect. If I miss, then I could be putting that 16yd slow-down in my own backyard, so to speak.

I think I am going to refine the power down to 8 yds with the aforementioned Innate Attack (Projectile) to make sure I aim it where I want it to go. And I am also considering replacing Costs Fatigue with Limited Uses Per Day (6) or something.

The upside to the Innate Attack is that I actually get to make use of the two levels of Time Mastery Talent I bought. :)

Anyr
2011-01-24, 08:19 PM
I think where I went wrong is that I never associated it with an Innate Attack (I think I should use Projectile for this) and when I use the power, I have to determine if I hit the area I wanted to affect. If I miss, then I could be putting that 16yd slow-down in my own backyard, so to speak.

I think I am going to refine the power down to 8 yds with the aforementioned Innate Attack (Projectile) to make sure I aim it where I want it to go. And I am also considering replacing Costs Fatigue with Limited Uses Per Day (6) or something.

Are you sure you have a firm grasp of the rules for these abilities? By default, the procedure for aiming and firing an Innate Attack is practically identical to that of an Affliction. Both of them use the same rules, as well as possessing the same default statistics (Range, Accuracy, Rate of Fire, etc). Likewise, almost any modifier which makes an Innate Attack more accurate or reliable can also be applied to an Affliction.

It's not exactly clear what benefits you're hoping to gain by linking these two types of attack together. Could you possibly elaborate on why you think such a combination is necessary?