PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Drawing OOTS style please

Demonweave
2011-01-24, 05:10 PM
Hey guys, I am really interested in starting to draw OOTS avatars, but haven't got the faintest idea how.

What do you guys use to make them?
Are there rules or guidelines to follow?
And lastly can people give me some handy tips?

Cheers in advance for any help.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-24, 05:20 PM
First: Download Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/download/)
Second: http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/
Third: Post whatever you do here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181318
Fourth: Wait for someone to critique and try improving upon critics.
Fifth: When you feel your creations are rather decent, go to the Avatar Request Thread and begin making Avies.

If you are using another software, please specify.

Demonweave
2011-01-24, 08:10 PM
Thanks, I'm on it.

Cealocanth
2011-01-24, 10:59 PM
I'd love to see how your first avatar turns out. It's not often I get to see a newbie and his first work.

Irbis
2011-01-25, 06:19 AM

MS Paint.

Not really, no. It's all just squares and circles and a few curves anyway. You only need to put them together, and we can't do that for you :smallwink:

For that, you sadly need to know one of the three most popular vector graphics programs at least on intermediate level.

scienceguy8
2011-01-25, 02:58 PM
Inkscape for the heavy lifting, GIMP and Apple's stock Preview application for resizing and coloring as necessary.

Save your avatars as PNGs with transparent backgrounds for the highest possible quality and the best fit with the forum sidebar.

Layers are your friend. You would be a fool to do all of your work on a single layer. They give you a way to separate all the logical parts of your image so you can work on them one at a time. They are also great for props and other objects you may use over and over again in your works. My Dr. Freeman avatar, for instance, contains 22 layers, while this Stig avatar I made for another web forum contains 11 layers.
http://www.gilberti-industries.com/miselaneous-images/stig80x90.png

Terry576
2011-01-25, 03:09 PM
Layers are your friend. You would be a fool to do all of your work on a single layer. They give you a way to separate all the logical parts of your image so you can work on them one at a time. They are also great for props and other objects you may use over and over again in your works. My Dr. Freeman avatar, for instance, contains 22 layers, while this Stig avatar I made for another web forum contains 11 layers.

Odly enough, I do all my avatars with one layer. :smallconfused:
Unless you mean those 'Move Up/Down' things. Then it gets ridiculously high. :smalltongue:

The best way is to just mess around in inkscape, and use bases. I usually sketch my avatars before I make them.

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-25, 03:28 PM
You would be a fool to do all of your work on a single layer.
:smallredface: Well it wasn't directed at me anyway.

- One of the Inkscape crowd.
120x120 pixels are maximum for avatars on these boards, the higher DPI you can get when exporting (anything above 90 really) your avatar the better.
Try to use up the square, don't make really wide or tall avatars, they will become really small/thin as the maximum height is still 120 px.
Example:
In figure 1 I have this damn spear/halberd, it is longer than the character, which mean that I can't use up the full lenght of the box for the actual character. Ergo, even when "minimizing" the damage from the spear by putting it on the diagonal, the level of detail I can cram into the figure is reduced compared to the second picture without it.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/Tsofu/FukamoriShizuka.pnghttp://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv173/Tsofu/FukamoriShizuka2.png

The moral of the story: Avoid long objects (spears/tall characters) if you want to keep a high level of detail in your pictures - otherwise you're up for a little dancing to get it right.
Practice, practice and practice. If you use your own avatars then you can visit the "rate my avatar"-thread in silly message board games. Rate the avatar above you, give a little motivation and the next poster will do the same in turn. (don't post again until at least two posters have posted after your post)

shawnhcorey
2011-01-25, 03:29 PM

And here I thought I was generous with 5 or 6. How do you keep track of them all?

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-25, 03:35 PM
Inkscape for the heavy lifting, GIMP and Apple's stock Preview application for resizing and coloring as necessary.

Save your avatars as PNGs with transparent backgrounds for the highest possible quality and the best fit with the forum sidebar.

Actually I think that is a little overabusive of layers.
I use 1 from 1 to 3 layers, and mainly just for misc. things while the main body is always one layer.
If I make more than one character I consider more layers.

Ninjaman
2011-01-25, 03:41 PM
What do you mean with layers?
I move up down and group as needed, and that is fine.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-25, 04:09 PM
Hey guys, I am really interested in starting to draw OOTS avatars, but haven't got the faintest idea how.

Fireworks.

Not really. Except maybe the 120x120, but ignore that one until the last stages, just try working within a box around your avatar, do not work with such a low resolution.

After getting through tutorials you will be left on a void. If you want to progress with your art I recommend you to look into the art of several veterans and see which one you like best and work toward that, maybe mix styles a bit and try to improve towards more exact (similar to the references), also, try to find your style early on. Take Mr. Saturn style, you can identify his avatars almost instantly, same thing for Elder Tsofu and Mad Mask.

Crimmy
2011-01-25, 04:54 PM
Use MS Paint. Make the canvas 600 x 600.

Use circles for heads, rectangles for bodies, curvy lines for arms, straight for legs.

You should also study the anatomy in OotS style, because I remember many mistakes tha I (and many others) did while trying to draw.

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-25, 06:37 PM
If you want to progress with your art I recommend you to look into the art of several veterans and see which one you like best and work toward that, maybe mix styles a bit and try to improve towards more exact (similar to the references), also, try to find your style early on.

Hm, seem like sound advice - bummer I didn't think of that :smalltongue:.
A project might be a nice way too. I challenged myself to draw animé-hair and different poses with my Fate-project - and that's where I probably found "my" style. (sure it was a project which all in all took place over three quarters of a year - but I don't think anyone have accused me of being a fast producer of avatars)

Oh and as Terry said, sketching on paper and taking a photo or scanning it in as a reference cuts down work tremendously when you're used to ut. (or does for me at least)

Demonweave
2011-01-26, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think for the next week atleast I'm just going to play around with it and see what I can do. Then will keep you updated.

Oh and as Terry said, sketching on paper and taking a photo or scanning it in as a reference cuts down work tremendously when you're used to ut. (or does for me at least)

I would try this method as I'm sure it's effective, but my skills with a pencil are limited to writing. Can't draw at all sadly.

Derjuin
2011-01-27, 01:26 AM
I use Inkscape for my avatars (etc); if you follow along with a tutorial a few times, maybe altering the steps slightly, you really get a feel for how to use the program and get to know what you want to use to make what; though a lot of getting better is experimentation and practice, practice, practice. One thing that is helpful is to use Inkscape's Import File function (I believe Trazoi's guide explains and uses it) to import a OotS comic, and base the size of the body, etc. off an established drawing of one (though do watch out, a lot of the panels have been zoomed in or out and might not produce the right-shaped character for a 120x120 avatar).

Ohmygod how is that two sentences.

Akrim.elf
2011-01-27, 05:44 AM
Layers are your friend. You would be a fool to do all of your work on a single layer.

Yes, I fool .. and I'm proud of it!
is true that due to unfortunate unintended double click to me the whole picture and so I poured my creations sometimes last longer, but it certainly is not as bad as when I forget to save hours of work and decide the Inscape fall ...

well, I see that there is already closed, but also I will add a few words from llama author (me) maybe a rookie delight ...

Inscape...

no ... If you do not avatar .... I think there's enough fiber, which you criticize .. or jump headlong into the water as I do .. and start making avatars for others ...

I think the instructions on this forum will find quite a lot ...

but a great help to me that a friend of mine started doing their own comics and asked me to help smaller (a few trees and such) while he sent me svg. file with the characters
I actually started it, that I played with those characters, I changed them, Redraw until I learned it ..
and if you base the other they are themselves ..:smallredface:

Crimmy
2011-01-27, 07:59 AM

Real men work with 1 layer.
I always did, until I started to use MS Paint-Fu.
That day I learned Real Real men work with 1 layer and only 3 undos.

smuchmuch
2011-01-27, 10:25 AM
I always did, until I started to use MS Paint-Fu.
That day I learned Real Real men work with 1 layer and only 3 undos.

Hmm, are Real Men® masochists or did they just forget to precise they probably use a graphic tablet/tracker mouse ?
If you don' thave one of those, you want Inscape.)

My Dr. Freeman avatar, for instance, contains 22 layers, while this Stig avatar I made for another web forum contains 11 layers.

I'm skeptical. That a ridiculously huge amount of layers.

I would not recoment bothering with layers either, u,nless you find they simplify your life. Personaly I find they just make things more complicated, I make all my avis in one layer, grouping objects and using forward/backward take care of all my needs nicely.

Mostly my onw advice ould be not to let youself be limited with classic OOts style. sjure following a model is all good and nice, but if you feel you can do more, use somme shading, somme perspective, somme volume... then I heartily recomend you go for it. Find your own style and keep experimenting.

Irbis
2011-01-27, 10:29 AM
Real Men need no undos.

If you can't force your computer to undo by growling on it, you're not a real man.

KillItWithFire
2011-01-27, 10:42 AM
now I'm considering making a challange where people can't use undos and see what crops up.

shawnhcorey
2011-01-27, 11:00 AM
now I'm considering making a challange where people can't use undos and see what crops up.

But you can still use delete. Or you can Hide your mistakes.

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-27, 02:08 PM
Or you could just change it back by hand.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-27, 02:10 PM

REAL MEN??? Real Men make their own avatars in NOTEPAD! They individually code every single pixel! IN BINARY!

But Graphic designers generally prefer to use the full power and features of their software. :smallwink:

smuchmuch
2011-01-27, 02:37 PM
That's it, I'm suggesting 'How REAL MEN ! do it' to be the theme for the next 'Draw your friends' (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183802) competition. :smallbiggrin:

(actualy a competition with the them how you imagine other draw avatars could be fun and so deliciously meta.)

But Graphic designers generally prefer to use the full power and features of their software.

Pfff, but what do they know anyway.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-27, 02:44 PM
Yes, I fool .. and I'm proud of it!
is true that due to unfortunate unintended double click to me the whole picture and so I poured my creations sometimes last longer, but it certainly is not as bad as when I forget to save hours of work and decide the Inscape fall ...

You may want to have a look at Inkscape autosave feature.

Real Men need no undos.

If you can't force your computer to undo by growling on it, you're not a real man.

Wouldn't it be better just to say undo? Growling normally opens the Start menu. (http://lifehacker.com/391884/control-your-pc-with-your-voice)

Ninjaman
2011-01-27, 02:54 PM
You may want to have a look at Inkscape autosave feature.

Wouldn't it be better just to say undo? Growling normally opens the Start menu. (http://lifehacker.com/391884/control-your-pc-with-your-voice)

first, that is just epic.
Second, Inkscape have an autosave tool?:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:
That is what i have always wanted.

araveugnitsuga
2011-01-27, 02:55 PM
first, that is just epic.
Second, Inkscape have an autosave tool?:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:
That is what i have always wanted.

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes047#Autosave
That's the reason I sometimes use Inkscape for Long Projects, it can Autosave, Fireworks needs AIR installed to be able to autosave so...

Ninjaman
2011-01-27, 03:11 PM
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes047#Autosave
That's the reason I sometimes use Inkscape for Long Projects, it can Autosave, Fireworks needs AIR installed to be able to autosave so...

Oh that one... that one is just bugging me up spamming my bin with unfinished pictures.

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-27, 04:28 PM
Autosave, yuk. :smalltongue:
*Developed an spasm to push ctrl+s after every third stroke long before autosave entered inkscape*
I had to disable it as it froze my computer slightly (a second or two) when it tried to autosave, throwing me of my pace.

And real men undo their faults by winking at their computer. (http://labs.opera.com/news/2009/04/01/) Ha!

Haruki-kun
2011-01-28, 11:19 AM
Pfff, but what do they know anyway.

We know a fair bit, actually. <.<

Also, thanks for telling me about the auto-save feature, guys. It would have saved me a lot of times in the past. v.v.