PDA

View Full Version : Old School [D&D 3.5/Pathfinder]

Ragitsu
2011-01-25, 12:14 AM
Have any of you started off a campaign with a character of middle-age or older, that wasn't magicked out the wazoo (straight Fighter, or Barbarian, etc) to compensate for any penalties?

And, if you did, how did things turn out?

Gamer Girl
2011-01-25, 12:25 AM
Yes.

My group does this a lot.

But most of my group is made up of Old School Gamers.

For example, we had Driftwood, who had a five in both intelligence and strength. Blunderfoot, the rouge with a eight dexterity.

Several times we have had a 'retired' character....a '60 something' who goes on the adventure to help the young ones. They have no problem on the adventure.

But we do play more heroic, and not super heroic.

Volos
2011-01-25, 12:26 AM
I played a 1st - 20th level campaign as a venerable human commoner with a variant that took away my bonus feat and bonus skill points. I ended up destroying the campaign world. But that was mostly roleplay backed by heavy knowledge of how the game works. It's surprising what you can do with chickens.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-01-25, 01:24 AM
Well, there was that venerable anthropomorphic bat monk/paladin based entirely around Wisdom who had a +ridiculous in that and 8s and 12s in most other stuff, and the venerable phrenic grey elf warblade/factotum who did the same thing with Int...and the formerly-venerable evolved evolved evolved [...] evolved ghost hellbred paladin of tyranny/bard/binder who did the same thing with Cha. :smallbiggrin:

If you mean only characters who didn't cheese out mental stats to the exclusion of everything else, I did play in a game with 4d6-drop-lowest-in-order ability generation where I was unlucky enough to roll a Str, Dex, and Con all below 7, so I said the heck with it, rolled up a very "mind over matter" venerable cerebremancer, and focused completely on telekinetic stuff to compensate for the 1s and 2s in every physical score.